Cruise 'Snobs'

The_Baron

I know this does not apply to the OP's lovely wife, but I have had the misfortune to sit next to Chatty Cathy and her best friend as they've carried on a long drawn out conversation in not so quiet voice (kind of like when you are sharing someone's phone call) it does get annoying and I would never dream of telling them to shut up, just think it and leave. :D

For those commenting on some folks who are pushy with their wheelchairs and hover craft - don't forget my all time favorite: Baby stroller as battering ram! Man, those new moms are viscious.

Edited by temple1

I've read this entire thread from first post to last... how sad that others find it necessary to belittle people while on what's supposed to be a lovely, enjoyable vacation. Rudeness in general is a bad thing, and returning that rudeness is even worse, in my view. People like that aren't worth the time nor the aggravation.

I'm sure that everyone has had behavior toward people that has been unintentionally rude on occasion, but if I'm called on it, I admit my error(s) and I apologize, it's as simple as that. If my apology is accepted, no harm done. If not, I did what I could to make amends, and I won't agonize over it any longer.

People have their own reasons for doing or not doing things. If I'm sitting in the MDR and the people around me don't wish to speak, I don't take that as a personal affront. Perhaps they're just not talkative, or they don't feel comfortable in formal clothes, or (insert your own reasoning here). I am not a mind reader and wouldn't presume to even guess the reason why people do or don't do things.

Guess I just come from the school of "MYOB", I suppose. I just don't pry my way into situations where I am clearly not wanted. If a 400 pound woman wants to eat six plates at the buffet, that's her business, not mine, she has to live with the consequences. It's not my concern to tell her she's doing wrong OR right.

It's my vacation and I'm looking out for myself. But at the same time, I'm not looking SO much out for myself that I ignore common courtesy - know what I'm saying?

Edited by Cathalain

Nope! They told us to mind our own business, so to speak.ANd people were holding their toddlers up over the side of the ship to see the events...we have some on video, was turned over to the CG....we love the suites on NCL, but this lack of safety really soured us. And when My wife posted the experience on the NCL board she was BLASTED by some CC members for daring to critcize "their" ship! She never came back to CC and I know that she loved it...the last straw was when she was getting nasty e-mails from folks we met on board for a CC get together totally inappropriate

Funny thing- When I saw this thread title I thought "Nope, we've run into no snobs on cruises but I've run into them here plenty!"

This is what happened to one of my best friends on Celebrity once(of course as a guest);

She is Fillipino-American(31, speaks fluent English) and she was walking down the hallway when this elderly lady stopped her and asked her for a bucket of ice. My friend was a little surprised but told the lady that she is also a guest on the ship. Then the elderly lady said to her "Oh, I thought you were a crew member, you just look like one of them. All of you look the same, aren't you a Fillipino?"

My friend didn't even want to speak to the lady and just walked away. Just because she was a dark skinned Asian and there are lots of Asian crew members does not mean every Asian on board was a crew member.

After all, by friend did not want to ruin her vacation, or start an argument, so she walked away and forgot about it, but what a narrow minded that lady was to think that way.

Don't have to prove anything but she graduated from UCLA and makes around 180K a year, but still to that elderly lady cause of the skin of the color, she just assumed that my friend was a crew member : (

Anyways, just a little story since talking about snobs on board on this thread.

Edited by smilegirl07

You know something, you are right.

This thread was kind of going in a different direction when I wrote my post. I do not think that someone that doesn't talk at breakfast at a large table is being a "cruise snob". I fully respect everyone's right to the vacation that they see for themselves, in fact I hope everyone does exactly what they want.

The only thing I don't understand is, why put yourself in a situation that you are uncomfortable in? Feel free to sit at a table for 2, or find yourself a quiet corner, or order room service. There are lots of options on a cruise ship. You can create exactly the vacation you want, this is the beauty of cruising. Instead, this couple sat at a table where the other six people felt that they needed to try to include them since the other six didn't want to be rude. It creates an odd situation for the other people at the table.

So while not talking at breakfast does not make you a "cruise snob" or necessarily rude, it does create an unnecessarily uncomfortable situation. Sorry for overstating things to begin with.

Maybe they had a table for 2 for dinner in the MDR and did not realise they would be seated at a table for 6 or 8 if they went there for breakfast. My husband and I went to lunch in the MDR on our last cruise for the first time. We asked to be seated at a table for two but were put at a table with a large group. We did not go to the MDR for lunch again. I know many people love to chat to strangers over their meals but personally I am very uncomfortable in that situation.

Edited by marielco

Funny thing- When I saw this thread title I thought "Nope, we've run into no snobs on cruises but I've run into them here plenty!"

*LMAO*

I love it

I feel the same way . Of course you will meet an odd duck wherever you go. But I have never met anyone on any of my cruises that can compare to some of the winners you see here. :)

I worked in retail & customer service and rudeness does happen I could write several novels on my experiences with rudeness and I learned to phased them out, and don't let it get to me. Life is too short. Rudeness happens with all ages and walks of life. what I learned reading this thread:

#1 be sweet and polite as pie- kill them with kindness -annoys them greatly

#2 Some people are angry at the world before they even encounter you-pay them no mind and kill with kindness

#3 Patience, I will slow down if you "rush" me trust me the food will not disappear off the buffet because I'm taking my time looking at the choices.If you want to get passed me say" excuse me"

#4 please, thank you, and excuse me are not hard words to use.

#5 I am NOT a morning person and I am usually into my "zone" and not talkative. I like talking to people but not before my morning coffee.:D

#6 I do respect my elders and other cultures-be careful if they talk smack in their native language there are people who do understand what you are saying.

#7 Its courteous to hold doors open and hold elevators for people, I can wait a couple minutes until they get in.

#8 have fun and enjoy the cruise.

#9 there is no cure for stupid ignorant rude people.-if that was the case we all would be rich.

I worked in retail & customer service and rudeness does happen I could write several novels on my experiences with rudeness and I learned to phased them out, and don't let it get to me. Life is too short. Rudeness happens with all ages and walks of life. what I learned reading this thread:

#1 be sweet and polite as pie- kill them with kindness -annoys them greatly

#2 Some people are angry at the world before they even encounter you-pay them no mind and kill with kindness

#3 Patience, I will slow down if you "rush" me trust me the food will not disappear off the buffet because I'm taking my time looking at the choices.If you want to get passed me say" excuse me"

#4 please, thank you, and excuse me are not hard words to use.

#5 I am NOT a morning person and I am usually into my "zone" and not talkative. I like talking to people but not before my morning coffee.:D

#6 I do respect my elders and other cultures-be careful if they talk smack in their native language there are people who do understand what you are saying.

#7 Its courteous to hold doors open and hold elevators for people, I can wait a couple minutes until they get in.

#8 have fun and enjoy the cruise.

#9 there is no cure for stupid ignorant rude people.-if that was the case we all would be rich.

Ditto! ;)

My son (10) who has autism, and I, were having lunch in the equivalent of the WJ on Carnival last year and he dropped a piece of cake. He started to get upset when I told him he couldnt eat it. Some (rude) guy came up and said, TO HIM, not me, "some of us would like to have a quiet lunch" I told him he had autism and doesnt understand, he said "oh" and walked away. No apoligies. My son is very well behaved and just wanted the cake. He ruined my whole vacation. I started crying and went back to the cabin for the rest of the day.

For the record, noone was moaning about "old people" to begin with. Just how my wife and I were looked down on because we were "young".

Well, young or "not upper class enough" one of the two...

What is the meaning of the word "noone"? Is this a British idiom?

When the wife and I were on our 1st cruise last month, we found that generally, most passengers were very friendly toward us, but, there were a few occassions when we were felt to feel 'lower class', for example, eating in the windjammer on Indy one night, we both decided to have something a burger.

On a table nearby, there were a group of people, tutting, and muttering under their breath about "these young people always eating junk food!" (we're both in our 30's, and this was the only time, apart from JR's we ate burgers!)

Another time, my wife was told to "Shut up, girl!" by a woman reading, when she was talking to someone else by the pool. Others were complaining about the amount of 'young people and families'. It seemed to me that some of these people felt that cruising was the reserve of the upper classes, and the more 'senior' folk. I even said to one that if they felt that way, don't book a cruise on a ship like Indy, which is a family-ship.

do others experience this? Or is it a rare thing?

Rude people are everywhere, unfortunately. Just try your best to ignore them and don't let them ruin your vacation.

You both gave me a laugh, only lovers of British comedy will get this.

I have always loved "Keeping up appearances". I had a great time discussing the show with a table-mate from Ireland on our last cruise.

My wife, who just does not get the show, simply rolled her eyes at me. LOL

Edited by shaggyofwv

*LMAO*

I feel the same way . Of course you will meet an odd duck wherever you go. But I have never met anyone on any of my cruises that can compare to some of the winners you see here. :)

holy crap ain't that the truth.

just over reading another heavily debated subject thread and I love the ones that have to throw in how many cruises they have been on in the middle of the discussion that really has no bearing on the outcome of the subject. The old, I'm better then you because I've cruised more then you so I should win and everyone here must have the same opinion as me.

gotta love it!!:D

I have always loved "Keeping up appearances". I had a great time discussing the show with a table-mate from Ireland on our last cruise.

My wife, who just does not get the show, simply rolled her eyes at me. LOL

Love that show! Had a hoot when Oslo and Daisy won the cruise on the QE2......After eating at the Captain's table as his special guess Oslo was suprised that with all the uppity attention they were getting why he had to eat with the crew! LOL

Love that show! Had a hoot when Oslo and Daisy won the cruise on the QE2......After eating at the Captain's table as his special guess Oslo was suprised that with all the uppity attention they were getting why he had to eat with the crew! LOL

LOL. I must have missed that episode. I will have to add it to my Netflix list. It is still on PBS around here occasionally and I still watch them every time it comes on.

Hats off to Hyacinth & crew. The QE2 episode is my absolute favorite. I especially love when Hyacinth & Onslow kick up their heels. It was the one time she wasn't ashamed of him. :)

Edited by QueensChick
typo

My son (10) who has autism, and I, were having lunch in the equivalent of the WJ on Carnival last year and he dropped a piece of cake. He started to get upset when I told him he couldnt eat it. Some (rude) guy came up and said, TO HIM, not me, "some of us would like to have a quiet lunch" I told him he had autism and doesnt understand, he said "oh" and walked away. No apoligies. My son is very well behaved and just wanted the cake. He ruined my whole vacation. I started crying and went back to the cabin for the rest of the day.

There are a few times when it is ok to get upset at someone in public. This is one of them. I have a feeling that he would be avoiding me for the rest of the cruise.

Hats off to Hyacinth & crew. The QE2 episode is my absolute favorite. I especially love when Hyacinth & Onslow kick up their heels. It was the one time she wasn't ashamed of him. :)
We once met a "Hyacinth" on an Alaska cruise. Her name was Doreen but she was Mrs Bucket to a T. We have dined out many times on the story of our encounter with Doreen.