Cruise 'Snobs'

The_Baron

Huh?:confused: We found the rudest people on our one and only HAL cruise and they were all older. We are in our 40's and were by far among the youngest onboard. We had a miserable time onboard because of all the rude and nasty old people. We couldn't wait to get off the ship on port days! You couldn't pay us to sail on HAL again, at least not for another 30-40 years!:eek:

You are spot on,twice on Hal and never again.Just for the record we are a late 60,s couple and have never seen so many rude old people.

As for reacting to other people rudeness,rather than turn the other cheek i much prefer to ruin their day if possible.

Yeah I know that makes me a misearble old sod but they strarted it.

See you on the Grandeur in September.

As for reacting to other people rudeness,rather than turn the other cheek i much prefer to ruin their day if possible.

Yeah I know that makes me a misearble old sod but they strarted it.

See you on the Grandeur in September.

While I don't agree with your approach (my grandmother drilled it into me that "if you meet a person without a smile, give them yours"), your response did make me laugh out loud. Got to admire spunk. I have a sense that the folks cruising with you in September will have an absolute blast.

I encountered a rude person last year on the first day of a Freedom cruise. He was sitting at the table next to us in the Windjammer with his big fat back pack sitting right in the middle of the floor between our tables. The tables were very close together so there was no way to walk around it since the other side of our table was against the window. I had gone to get some food and was walking toward my table with him looking right at me. He obviously saw me coming and I even hesitated a little to wait for him to move it out of the aisle. Well, he did not move it, instead he just sat there stuffing food in and looking at me. So I just took my foot and shoved it out of the way. My daughter was cracking up laughing and said," Mom, I can't believe you just kicked that guys back pack."

Well, he had a choice and he chose to sit there and do nothing so I did what I had to do. It was either that or risk tripping up and dumping my plate of food on his head!!!:o Some people only think of themselves unfortunately, and they could care less if they inconvenience you or not.

My husband and I, senior citizens, as well as my father who God Bless Him will be 97 later this month travel together. We have been on many, many cruises and we are not rude people nor have we run into a lot of rude people.

People have talked to my dad who happened to be sitting alone on the deck while my husband and I went into port. My dad uses a scooter on the ship and he is very polite in waiting for people to get off the elevators before he gets on. He also waits to see if there is going to be room for him with the scooter. It amazes me how some of the younger people scoot over so he can get on.

My husband is the type who talks and jokes with everyone. He has the best time talking to people and once when he had to use a scooter, he was just like my dad.

I think there are rude people in all walks of life. I am certain that, at times, people on CC feel I am rude, when in reality I might say something that is taken incorrectly. I do have to say though, sometimes I say what I mean, lol.

I am also like a previous poster who will open a door for someone or hold a door and if someone walks through without a thank you or some kind of acknowledgment, I will say in a not so quiet voice "Thank you." Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I guess what I am saying is most people are friendly and nice if given the opportunity. Who knows if someone is having a bad day? I guess I just ignore these people unless they really get to me, then ----- watch out!!!!

While I don't agree with your approach (my grandmother drilled it into me that "if you meet a person without a smile, give them yours"), your response did make me laugh out loud. Got to admire spunk. I have a sense that the folks cruising with you in September will have an absolute blast.

Glad I made you laugh I do that to a lot to people.Thanks also for the kind words.

So you don,t get the wrong impression of me I am the most laid back easy going guy you,ll ever meet.

I am also the personification of the saying"Beware the wrath of a patient man".

May all your days be filled with laughter.

I haven't had any thing bad at all on a cruise, every time I've been on a cruise people have always had the right kind of thoughts, I ate without knife and fork for pizza and stuff, no complaints. I have never dressed up for dinner, on the floors and lifts with people/posh people all dressed up had no problem, actually talked to some.

If someone doesn't like me then see if i care? they will only see me once in a lifetime, how will this affect me? just let them say what they want, it will do no harm, its an opinion.

If someone says something too you, say something back in your defence.

Huh?:confused: We found the rudest people on our one and only HAL cruise and they were all older. We are in our 40's and were by far among the youngest onboard. We had a miserable time onboard because of all the rude and nasty old people. We couldn't wait to get off the ship on port days! You couldn't pay us to sail on HAL again, at least not for another 30-40 years!:eek:
The teenagers are 40 years old on HAL, that's why they were rude to you!!:)

We've enjoyed a number of cruises on HAL, but I'll have to agree with you that there can be some rude old people on board, and I'm in my mid 60s. We always cruise with them out of Lauderdale with half the ship from NY and NJ if that makes any difference as to being demanding. The rudest couple ever was from South Dakota.

I do love their itineraries and service however.

Edited by GCurry

YEs, I have to reiterate that the majority of people were lovely. some people (and it was mostly the blue-rinse brigade) were just very very rude. also, they were ALL british.

I would have told the woman who told my wife to shut up where to go had I been there, I wasn't there at the time sadly, she told me about it later.

these sort of people though are best ignored. It's none of their business what I want to eat, or how old I am, or why I think i deserve to cruise, being only "lower middle class, what, what, what...."

I am really saddened to read this, being a Brit and a cruise veteran AND an a young O.A.P - perhaps these people normally cruised with Cunard in one of the first class staterooms (I don't think). I just can't stand the way some folk think that because they have been on this earth for longer it gives them the right to be obnoxious. I hope this experience has not put you off cruising because we have met some wonderful people over the years and have marvellous memories of our cruises.

I was having a discussion with my internist (GP) about grumpy old people. I had been particularly grumpy one day and it bothered me. He said that as people age they have deficiencies in certain vitamins and hormones. Some take a supplement and are fine. Others have no defiencies and are fine. Others don't care and just grow into grumpy, rude old people. He said that if my husband or my friends mentioned I was getting rude or grumpy to let him know, he would give me vitamins that I was lacking. I guess until then I never thought about vitamin deficiencies causing some of the grumpiness and rudeness in old people.

I haven't had any thing bad at all on a cruise, every time I've been on a cruise people have always had the right kind of thoughts, I ate without knife and fork for pizza and stuff, no complaints. I have never dressed up for dinner, on the floors and lifts with people/posh people all dressed up had no problem, actually talked to some.

If someone doesn't like me then see if i care? they will only see me once in a lifetime, how will this affect me? just let them say what they want, it will do no harm, its an opinion.

If someone says something too you, say something back in your defence.

This quote is great advise and I would have to say that the age of the rude person is not limited to old or young but rather to a mind set. I live in adult community and have taught children ( all ages ) all of my life so I have seen both ends of the spectrum including the parents ( the middle range). I do think one's behavior reflects the way you are raised and your outlook on life- the above is a wonderful way to approach all if it. I do and people watching is a favorite pastime - life is too short to spend it focused on the negatives- regardless of their age - it is a life style choice!! One of my best role models is close to 90, on the go 24/7 with a good word for everyone and a smile on her face- may I be regarded that way some day!

I was having a discussion with my internist (GP) about grumpy old people. I had been particularly grumpy one day and it bothered me. He said that as people age they have deficiencies in certain vitamins and hormones. Some take a supplement and are fine. Others have no defiencies and are fine. Others don't care and just grow into grumpy, rude old people. He said that if my husband or my friends mentioned I was getting rude or grumpy to let him know, he would give me vitamins that I was lacking. I guess until then I never thought about vitamin deficiencies causing some of the grumpiness and rudeness in old people.

And if that doesn't work, I hope my kids give me a swift kick in the posterior! :D

Thanks for the laughs, I had a long week at work (even though Monday was a holiday) & I needed a laugh.

I haven't met too many rude people on cruises & if I encounter any, I, more often than not, ignore them.

My mother is 87 years old & is one of the sweetest people to ever walk this earth. But, she's prone to getting various types of infections. When she does, she gets rude and nasty. When we visit her & she's nasty, we know she has an infection & a hospital stay is in order. One time, she was in a nursing home for rehab after a hospital stay. My niece (her granddaughter) came to tell her she was pregnant & my mother wouldn't open her eyes. Well, the niece told her the news & my mother just said "What's that to me?" I couldn't apologize enough to my poor niece. Later that day, they sent her back to the hospital. Another infection. Her mother (my grandma) was called Granny Grumps, I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. My poor kids when I get older!

This quote is great advise and I would have to say that the age of the rude person is not limited to old or young but rather to a mind set. I live in adult community and have taught children ( all ages ) all of my life so I have seen both ends of the spectrum including the parents ( the middle range). I do think one's behavior reflects the way you are raised and your outlook on life- the above is a wonderful way to approach all if it. I do and people watching is a favorite pastime - life is too short to spend it focused on the negatives- regardless of their age - it is a life style choice!! One of my best role models is close to 90, on the go 24/7 with a good word for everyone and a smile on her face- may I be regarded that way some day!

You are correct.The nicest person I knew in my life was my Grandmother who lived until she was 92.My 84 year old father is laided back.The rudest person I met in my life was around 40 at the time.A distance second was a thirty year.I wouldn't want to cruise with either one of them.I'm sure they look at others as being rude.Never had bad table mates on 8 cruises and only met a handful of rude people on cruises but since I've sailed with close to 20,000 others on these cruises those numbers are low.I've ran in to more rude people at rock concerts and sporting events.Needless to say the average age at those are much lower than a cruise ship

:cj

Oh man, this makes me laugh. We have encountered MANY more fun and kind people than we have grumps and jacka$$es. But let's face it, the G&J's make for great stories. I too agree that rudeness crosses all ages and income levels. I think the difference is that the elderly are just a little bit more aggressive in their rudeness - sometimes they just don't seem to care anymore how it comes across. I also think many people if they don't feel good, become grouchy.

As for the rude ones in their 20s-50's, they were just raised by wolves. ;)

Here's one of my favorite "rude" moments.

A tablemate had made some caustic comments in general throughout the week. Not directed at us but various things. At one point, Mr Wolf made a comment about his former wife - nothing derogatory, just a "this was with my former wife." I was sitting next to her and heard this "I figured." in kind of a snarky tone. I just ignored it but had to work hard to keep a straight face. As I told Mr Wolf later, we could take it as a compliment that she thought I looked so young that I was a trophy wife or we could take it as a dig that he looked so old that I had to be a trophy wife. :D :D. There was just no reason for the comment or why she actually said it knowing I would hear it. And to make it more hilarious, we're 5 years apart in age and I'm approaching AARP eligibility. :D :D Whenever he gets out of line, I now tell him not to irritate the trophy wife because he's not rich enough to find another one. :D Bottom line - find the humor in these people, it beats them at their own game.

Oh - did I mention the rather large woman who literally knocked me off my feet at the buffet because I wasn't going fast enough for her. Never mind that there was someone in front of me and I like giving people a little space and not touch them or knock their tray. After she knocked me off balance and I fell against the wall, I looked her in the eye and said sweetly, Why don't you go ahead of me? Which she did without a word. I hope she enjoyed the extra 5 seconds I gave her in line!

When the wife and I were on our 1st cruise last month, we found that generally, most passengers were very friendly toward us, but, there were a few occassions when we were felt to feel 'lower class', for example, eating in the windjammer on Indy one night, we both decided to have something a burger.

On a table nearby, there were a group of people, tutting, and muttering under their breath about "these young people always eating junk food!" (we're both in our 30's, and this was the only time, apart from JR's we ate burgers!)

Another time, my wife was told to "Shut up, girl!" by a woman reading, when she was talking to someone else by the pool. Others were complaining about the amount of 'young people and families'. It seemed to me that some of these people felt that cruising was the reserve of the upper classes, and the more 'senior' folk. I even said to one that if they felt that way, don't book a cruise on a ship like Indy, which is a family-ship.

do others experience this? Or is it a rare thing?

First, I would thank your genes that you look young enough to have been lumped in with the younger generation and your wife to have been called 'girl'! My daughter is 24 but looks 16 and always gets asked for ID on cruises and at the pub - I tell her one day she'll love it that she's inherited her mum's youthful looks :)

Second, I would have told them to get lost - but not so politely. If people want to act high and mighty they can book a cruise with Cunard, or other more adult-oriented, ships.

Edited by nellydean

When the wife and I were on our 1st cruise last month, we found that generally, most passengers were very friendly toward us, but, there were a few occassions when we were felt to feel 'lower class', for example, eating in the windjammer on Indy one night, we both decided to have something a burger.

On a table nearby, there were a group of people, tutting, and muttering under their breath about "these young people always eating junk food!" (we're both in our 30's, and this was the only time, apart from JR's we ate burgers!)

Another time, my wife was told to "Shut up, girl!" by a woman reading, when she was talking to someone else by the pool. Others were complaining about the amount of 'young people and families'. It seemed to me that some of these people felt that cruising was the reserve of the upper classes, and the more 'senior' folk. I even said to one that if they felt that way, don't book a cruise on a ship like Indy, which is a family-ship.

I've never experienced it, and I'm sorry that you and your wife were subjected to it. It sounds to me as if someone had a healthy dose of "Titanic" before boarding. Please don't let it put you off from cruising. I'm a "senior" folk, although I don't refer to myself that way, and I'd rather hang out with a bunch of 30 somethings on my cruises than with someone who was on the other side of the Red Sea to welcome Moses over;)

You might have seen me doing that. One dish for me and one for my sister waiting at our table so no one would remove our drinks and sit down at it as has happen in the past. And, probably the third dish was for an elderly couple sitting next to us who wanted to taste something else from the buffet line but just didn't feel like standing in that long line with their walkers. So I offered to help them out by getting it for them.

And I wasn't waddling :p .

Oh I can definitely bet a lifetime's income it wasn't you. :) I watched this woman sit down and eat EVERYTHING on those 6 plates. I don't know how she got up from the table.

It's a rare thing.

In all of my years of cruising, I don't think anyone ever told us to "Shut up" or made comments (loud enough for us to hear, anyway) about what we were eating.

It's always been our experience that there's a unique cruise comraderie amongst people on cruises... it's very easy to sit at a table with complete strangers and strike up an instant conversation. We are middle aged... but we've experienced great friendships amongst older and younger passengers.

As to the lady telling you to "shut up, girl" (geez, what kind of person adds "girl" to "shut up"? Usually "shut up" gets the point across. I think I'd have laughed if she said to me, "Shut up, Boy!")... that's simply rude. It also infringed on your rights as a passenger to not be hassled by another passenger.

I would have handled this in one of two ways; ignore her and continue to have my conversation (which is evidently not bothering anyone else)... if she wants absolute silence, the ship's library is the place to be... not the public pool area.

-or-

I would have gone to one of the ship's crew and complained about her rudeness. It's always best to let the crew handle obnoxious people rather than get into a confrontation yourself.

For the people eating in the Windjammer, I'd have probably talked loudly to my wife about how "excellent these burgers are!!!"... I might have even turned to them and said, "did you guys have the burgers here?!? They are GREAT!":p (as if I never heard their comments about me)

Bottom line, don't let creeps rent space in your brain!

Welcome to cruising! Hope your overall experience brings you back!

Cheers,

Paul

The one thing that really bothers me (and which I've seen more often than I care to recount) is when people treat the crew members like dirt. On our last cruise, I came out of my stateroom one morning to hear a woman in the hallway complaining about the room steward, particularly that, "that stupid, stupid man can't even speak English!". I desperately wanted to ask her how many languages she could speak, but somehow restrained myself (and btw, his English was just fine...). And in my experience, it seems like the frequent cruisers are the worst offenders.

The teenagers are 40 years old on HAL, that's why they were rude to you!!:)

We've enjoyed a number of cruises on HAL, but I'll have to agree with you that there can be some rude old people on board, and I'm in my mid 60s. We always cruise with them out of Lauderdale with half the ship from NY and NJ if that makes any difference as to being demanding. The rudest couple ever was from South Dakota.

I do love their itineraries and service however.

Me too. We just couldn't pass up their 10 day Mexican route but wow, we were surprised. We knew going in that the demographics of both the line and the fact that it was a 10 day was going to mean older pax but we were shocked at how mean many of them were!

We had the same issues on the Explorer last month. It seemed like the older people (walkers, wheelchairs, hover-rounds) were the rudest of the bunch. They spoke down to us constantly. DH and I are early 50s so we're not young by any means. Also, we tried to be polite ... like we were both raised.

We had a nice Cruise Critic group on Explorer last fall, but I will have to say there were more OLD gripey people (We are 57, not spring chickens ourselves) on that ship than any I have ever been on. I have never seen so many mechanized chairs in my life, and I witnessed two different seniors RUN OVER a person's foot without as much as an "I'm sorry" or even stopping. If you went to a show in the evening even 30 minutes ahead, all seats on the lower level were gone. I have no clue how long they camped out before the show began.

The only other cruise where we had a lot of gripey older folks was on the fourth cruise that Solstice ever made in December of 2008 out of Ft. Lauderdale. Everywhere we went there were one or two older people who would ask if we had sailed Celebrity before (answer: no, we had mostly been going on RC), and then they would begin to tell us all the Celebrity ships they had been on, or that they had been on all of them twice, and what was wrong with Solstice and that it wasn't as good as other Celebrity ships..blah blah blah. It was so bad one day at the Solarium cafe...I was sitting alone and a couple asked if they could join me and then launched into how horrible Solstice was and it wasn't up to Celebrity's standards, blah blah blah, and for us, it was one of our first trips after having a granddaughter born with congenital heart defects and four open heart surgeries in seven months, and we were elated with the ship, with everything, but boy, did those folks know how to kill a good time.

With the couple at Solarium cafe, I just stood up, said I was thankful to have a peaceful, lovely cruise and that I was moving to another table, and I took my food and left. Of course, they were muttering "rude Southerner" under their breath. I didn't care.

On the other side, I have met amazing, friendly giving people on our other cruises. I think Explorer just attracts an older crew. I would not sail on her on the New England/Canada route again...or at least I don't think so. I'll leave it to the seniors. LOL

Thanks for the laughs, I had a long week at work (even though Monday was a holiday) & I needed a laugh.

I haven't met too many rude people on cruises & if I encounter any, I, more often than not, ignore them.

My mother is 87 years old & is one of the sweetest people to ever walk this earth. But, she's prone to getting various types of infections. When she does, she gets rude and nasty. When we visit her & she's nasty, we know she has an infection & a hospital stay is in order. One time, she was in a nursing home for rehab after a hospital stay. My niece (her granddaughter) came to tell her she was pregnant & my mother wouldn't open her eyes. Well, the niece told her the news & my mother just said "What's that to me?" I couldn't apologize enough to my poor niece. Later that day, they sent her back to the hospital. Another infection. Her mother (my grandma) was called Granny Grumps, I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. My poor kids when I get older!

I have just got to know...is this for a urinary tract infection? My mom just "loses it" when she has one, and when she gets meds, she's better again.

After reading this thread, I felt compelled to share this story...My apologies in advance, as it is long! This Post involves cruising, life in general, and my own personal experiences. The names of the innocent have been changed to remain "anonymous"!

(Perhaps I should have created a new thread entitled "Rude People"!)

My DH and I are frequent cruisers with RCCL. Many years earlier, on a different RCCL ship "far, far away", we met and befriended a Bartender, whom to this day, remains our true friend. Via e-mail, over the years, our respective families have shared both the triumphs and tragedies of "Life".

On a "recent" RCCL sailing, the aforementioned friend was the Bartender at the Disco. Every night, DH and I would go "early" to get a seat for me at the bar, so I could talk to our friend, listen to the trendy music, watch the dancers, and meet new people. After seeing me safely "settled in" at the Disco bar, DH would then proceed to the Casino for his daily donation!

On Night 4, DH returned from the Casino to the Disco with two Comedians who were performing on the ship. The four of us started a lively conversation. At about 11:30 PM, a very "large" female, REEKING of perfume and simply REELING from alcohol, squeezed into the bar stool next to me. (Bear in mind that the bar stools are fixed to the floor!)

My DH and the two Comedians were standing around me...I was seated upon my bar stool. Consequently, I had my back to the "newcomer".

The bar at the Disco on the ship was a designated "Smoking" section. I lit a cigarette! :eek:

I immediately felt a current of air from behind me! To my surprise, this woman had grabbed a "Drink Menu" and started vigorously fanning me: My hair and my back!

She then started alternately "sucking her tongue like "tsk, tsk", dramatically shrugging her shoulders, and loudly "sighing". After ignoring her for a few minutes, I could not help but turn around and ask, "I'm sorry, but is there a problem?"

She replied, with a distinctive Southern "drunken" drawl, "Y'all neeth to puth that out...Right now!"

Ever cordial, I replied, "Oh, I'm sorry, girlfriend, but the Bar is the "Smoking" section. Nearly all of the tables in this club are Non-Smoking. You won't have to deal with the smoke over there." (And I gestured to the non-smoking area.)

She then said, "But I want to sit at thaaaaah Baaaaaaaaar." (As she nearly toppeled over my lap!)

At that point, sensing a "No Win" situation, I swiveled my seat back around to rejoin the conversation with DH and the two Comedians.

She then proceeded to yell at our friend, the Bartender, "BOY! BOY!"

<Perk>...That got my attention!

She then had the audacity to say, "MAKE this B*#ch put out that f&*$ing cigarette!" (She used the "real" words and actually pointed at me with really scary long fingernails!!)

Now...our friend the Bartender, is from St. Vincent. He is not "pigmentally-challenged" and also smokes cigarettes. Anyone calling him "Boy" is simply "wrong"!

True to his character, he maintained his "cool". He looked the drunken, obese, stupid, overly-scented, and bitchy "Prima Dona wannabe", in the eye, and flashed her his "most dazzling" smile...

Cool as a cucumber, he said "This LADY (with emphasis on the word, and a nod of his head in my direction!) may smoke here. I recommend you move to the "Non-smoking" area of the club, or return to your stateroom. This bar area will probably become much smokier as people start coming from the Casino".

At this point, my DH and the Comedians (all NON-smokers) had finally "caught wind" (pun intended!) of what was happening. One of the Comedians picked up my pack of cigs, and said, "F - it. I quit five years ago, but getting this obnoxious, drunk, fat, stinky cow "out of my eyesight" is absolutely worth three minutes of my life!" Both the other comedian, and shock of all shocks, my DH, lit up! (I'm sure they did not "inhale"!)

Needless to say, the rest of that evening was hilarious, as the two Comedians (and even my witty DH!), tried to "out-Joke" each other with Fat Jokes, Southern Jokes, Hillbilly Jokes, etc!

I should qualify this by saying that I consider myself to be an "extremely conscientious" smoker. I always abide by RCCL's rules, and, even though I'm allowed to, I never smoke on my balcony if I hear any neighbors on adjoining balconies. (Never!!!)

A female "invaded my space" with her odiferous girth. When she "honored the bar" with her presence, not only did she immediately demand I instantly alter my habits, she insulted my friend, who happens to be a Crew member, and further, demanded an instant change in RCCL policy!

The Moral of the Story (in a nutshell): Mean People Suck!

Best regards,

Terry

P.S.U. My "Role Model" is a Senior Citizen...His name is Joe Paterno, and, as a Penn State Alum, I will always attempt to follow his example: Success with Integrity! One cannot go wrong with THAT mantra!!!!