Military Uniform on Formal Night?

SavFam06

My husband will have 19 years in the Marine Corps in Nov. he is also leaving for his 6th deployment since 2001..so this cruise we will be celebrating our family being together..He will wear his dress uniform one night because my 7 year old twins love when daddy dresses up..

Nothing makes me prouder to be an American than when I see our men and women in uniform. I have to admitt it always makes me cry.

I was working in DC last January during the inauguration, when I was checking in to my hotel when a bus full of men and women arrived, all of them just returning home from Iraq. I said hello to one soldier and told him welcome home and thanked him for his service, he mentioned he couldn't wait to get a beer and have a BIG FAT steak. Later that night I saw him eating dinner....I pre-paid his meal (he was eating the biggest t-bone steak and on his 2nd beer) without him knowing, it was MY proudest moment. :D

My husband is a Jeans and T-shirt kind of guy...other than his uniforms he owns NOTHING that would resemble something formal or elegant.

Have you spotted military dress uniforms on board?

Absolutely. Our son wore his on our EOS cruise and it was great to see the people who came over to shake his hand and thank him for his service. Complete strangers! I would encourage him to wear it. He should be proud of it.

Whenhe wears his uniform with you, by his side "WE CAN ALL TAKE PRIDE IN YOUR Service and Sacrifice and in tense love!!

Army Brat - who knows the sacrifices my MOM made !!

Air Force vet

Enjoy your Cruise !!!:):):):)

Thank You

I'm happy this thread popped up. My wife is wanting me to wear my Fire Department Class A uniform "dress Blues" for formal nights. My only argument to her is I don't want to look like the odd ball.

Do you guys think this would be acceptable?

I say absolutely! Fire Men/Women and Police Men/Women are heroes too! Thank you to all the servicemen/women and Police and Fire!!

–noun, plural -roes; for 5 also -ros.

a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.

a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal.

Would they consider wearing their uniforms for flying (less packing) and change clothes when the luggage arrives in the Stateroom? Just a thought.....Unless they prefer NOT TO FLY wearing a uniform????

Have a wonderful and safe cruise...

To the original poster: Absolutely wear it!!! Please thank your husband for his service!!

To the Fireman: Absolutely & wear it with pride. Thank you for your service!!

DH bought a young man in uniform a drink on our last cruise. He politely turned it down, we visited about 10 minutes, found out he & fiance lived about an hour from our home. He finally agreed to the drink after about the 4th time DH offered.

I also agree luggage fees should be waived & they should get VIP checkin.

Would they consider wearing their uniforms for flying (less packing) and change clothes when the luggage arrives in the Stateroom? Just a thought.....Unless they prefer NOT TO FLY wearing a uniform????

Have a wonderful and safe cruise...

OPSEC... it is frowned upon to fly wearing a uniform these days... Thanks 9/11 and all the creeps who ruined so much for us!

OPSEC... it is frowned upon to fly wearing a uniform these days... Thanks 9/11 and all the creeps who ruined so much for us!

Sorry... OPSEC is operational Security! :)

I have had orders to fly in uniform. Yes, it was stated on TDY orders that I had to, so OPSEC is not the case. Hubby flew home from Iraq in ACUs as he had no choice.

Personally, I never would have worn my dress uniform (but I am a girl who loves to look like a girl), and I would not have been happy with my husband wearing his. We took a cruise in '07 less than a month after he returned from his first deployment. He actually had a suit tailor made while overseas. The army has the worst dress uniform though (until the switch to blues is made across the board), so that may be why I would have been mortified if he showed up to dinner in that horrid Class-A ensemble.

Honestly, I don't see a big deal one way or the other. That being said, nether I nor my husband would don military attire for a cruise. To each his (or her) own.

Wear it with PRIDE!!!! I've been retired from USAF for 20 years now and it is so wonderful to see my brothers and sisters in uniform. I have seen it on my cruise and they look great. I am a sucker when it comes to this, but, when I have the extra dollars I will buy a round of drinks for those men and woman, a great big HOOAH to them all.

We need to keep this thread going! This is most uplifting thread I have seen here and all the posters are giving encouragement a Thank You and tribute to our Men and Women that serve now and who have served in our armed forces.

I have had orders to fly in uniform. Yes, it was stated on TDY orders that I had to, so OPSEC is not the case. Hubby flew home from Iraq in ACUs as he had no choice.

Personally, I never would have worn my dress uniform (but I am a girl who loves to look like a girl), and I would not have been happy with my husband wearing his. We took a cruise in '07 less than a month after he returned from his first deployment. He actually had a suit tailor made while overseas. The army has the worst dress uniform though (until the switch to blues is made across the board), so that may be why I would have been mortified if he showed up to dinner in that horrid Class-A ensemble.

Honestly, I don't see a big deal one way or the other. That being said, nether I nor my husband would don military attire for a cruise. To each his (or her) own.

To each their own! I would hope you and your DH would be proud to wear your dress uniform no matter what the color change!

Be safe!

JMHO

For the OP:

What branch of service is your husband? I am retired US Navy. Please thank him from me for his service to his country. I too, will buy people I see in uniform a drink.

We should all make this a personal tradition!!

Archived