Military Uniform on Formal Night?

SavFam06

My husband is a Jeans and T-shirt kind of guy...other than his uniforms he owns NOTHING that would resemble something formal or elegant.

Have you spotted military dress uniforms on board?

It's alot of stuff to drag along. My Marines wear a nice shirt or simply a sport jacket . Pack light!Plus keeps people from asking the wrong questions.

First, I just want to say thank you to your husband for serving our country. God bless all of our service men and women. And god bless the families they leave behind when they are deployed; they too make a great sacrifice.

Now, a funny story. On our last cruise, my son was 3 and there were a few guys dressed in their uniforms for formal night. My son not so quietly whispered to my husband, "Dad, those are soldiers. They keep our country safe for us, That is cool." They guys of course overheard him. They thoguht it was cute, and ended up talking to my husband and son for a few minutes. When we went into the dining room, they shook my son's hand. He thought he was a big man. It was really cute.

My husband is a Jeans and T-shirt kind of guy...other than his uniforms he owns NOTHING that would resemble something formal or elegant.

Have you spotted military dress uniforms on board?

I would be honored to be seated at the table with you and your DH with him in his military dress uniform and I'm sure many other passengers would feel the same! And be sure and get some great formal pictures!

They're not supposed to drink while in uniform.

Not true, they aren't supposed to get stupid drunk and bring discredit/dishonor to their service. I retired after 26 years in the Air Force and Dining-in and Dining-out functions are mandatory uniform military events and most involve some form of drinking. You are not supposed to stop at a bar in your utility uniform on the way home but it is not strictly enforced unless the post/base commander enforces it. Wear your uniform with pride and honor. I would as well but time and all the cruises have made that nearly impossible. For some reason everytime I debark a cruise my clothes all get tighter than when I was embarking!:o;):p

There were many people in their military uniforms on the Legend last year. We saw everything from regular dress greens to me (and a few others) in our Mess Dress.

It's a great way to get some good photos of the service member in uniform too.

453920078_JuliainUniformon1stFormalNightcompressed.jpg.9163e931df7e26b0417369f426680e4e.jpg

By the way, we sailed right after Memorial Day last year and a few of us in our military uniforms (along with one guest each) were fortunate enough to be invited to have dinner with the Captain and a few of his staff. Here is the photo they took and provided us, with a hand written note from the Captain. It was an awesome (and once in a lifetime) experience.

837265059_Captain27s20Table20Photo1.jpg.5627cc5f0f8fa5004cc1a2f30a9d4264.jpg

I am cruising on the Carnival Legend next week. Any serciveman or woman in uniform on formal night, whom I see, I WILL TREAT TO A DRINK! Thank you for serving!!!

I won't be on the Legend next week, but since we live so close and all.... :D

Just Kidding! Enjoy your cruise. I loved the Legend last year and want badly to sail her again -- especially since it's right here so close to home.

That is utter nonsense. After 24 years of service please direct me to the regulation that so stipulates. Please get your facts straight before you speak of things you know nothing about.

To all my fellow servicemembers, wear your uniform with pride you've earned the right, and enjoy a free drink or two if you drink, just don't disgrace the uniform, as I am sure none of you will.

I read it on this board. :o

It has also been pointed out on this board many times that it is an absolutely false statement. So try reading everything and again only comment on things you know something about.

Rock the Uniform!! Real Americans will love to see our men/women in uniform aboard a ship.

Daddy is retired U.S. Coast Guard Officer. Now volunteers with the Vets. Does funerals, parades and flag ceremonies. He Rocks his uniform. I'm gonna ask him today if he is bringing it on our cruise.

That is technically false. There are no rules against drinking in uniform from the UCMJ. I served twenty years in the Navy and never encountered such a rule - used to drink in my dress blue crackerjacks all the time.

Now, if someone in uniform IS drinking, and their behavior is out of line, shore patrol can come pick them up. But never for drinking in public in uniform.

However, some specific base or fort regulations may say no to it. For example, I know that a lot of Army bases do not allow soldiers to drink while they are wearing their BDU's. Same applies to some ships where sailors aren't allowed to drink liquor in their working uniform, which is like a set of BDU's.

So, if you see a uniformed servicemember, you can give them a drink - but if they are wearing BDU's, ask them first.

Nothing makes me prouder to be an American than when I see our men and women in uniform. I have to admitt it always makes me cry.

I was working in DC last January during the inauguration, when I was checking in to my hotel when a bus full of men and women arrived, all of them just returning home from Iraq. I said hello to one soldier and told him welcome home and thanked him for his service, he mentioned he couldn't wait to get a beer and have a BIG FAT steak. Later that night I saw him eating dinner....I pre-paid his meal (he was eating the biggest t-bone steak and on his 2nd beer) without him knowing, it was MY proudest moment. :D

Hey! I did twenny years in the Navy. Where's MY steak? LOL!

That is technically false. There are no rules against drinking in uniform from the UCMJ. I served twenty years in the Navy and never encountered such a rule - used to drink in my dress blue crackerjacks all the time.

Now, if someone in uniform IS drinking, and their behavior is out of line, shore patrol can come pick them up. But never for drinking in public in uniform.

However, some specific base or fort regulations may say no to it. For example, I know that a lot of Army bases do not allow soldiers to drink while they are wearing their BDU's. Same applies to some ships where sailors aren't allowed to drink liquor in their working uniform, which is like a set of BDU's.

So, if you see a uniformed servicemember, you can give them a drink - but if they are wearing BDU's, ask them first.

Forgot to add that if you see a squid in his/her dress blues or whites - pat them on the back and give them a double Jack & coke.:D

Forgot to add that if you see a squid in his/her dress blues or whites - pat them on the back and give them a double Jack & coke.:D

My brother is retired Navy 22 years in and he is still "working" for the Navy at NAS Jax :D

My husband is an Army guy (although not retired), when ever we are out and he sees a military guy or gal he buys them a drink and has bought lunch a few times too!

My brother is retired Navy 22 years in and he is still "working" for the Navy at NAS Jax :D

My husband is an Army guy (although not retired), when ever we are out and he sees a military guy or gal he buys them a drink and has bought lunch a few times too!

I've done the same for military folk in uniform...makes them feel good. I remember back a long time ago I was leaving San Diego for Florida in my dress whites and on the flight people kept buying me drinks....

Why not try being a little less sensitive and overreacting?

So why don't you try using the ignore feature it works really well.

First, because the poster was wrong.

Second, they refuse to admit they were wrong and admit they don't know what they were posting about.

Third, I hate seeing a person who has most probably never spent a day in uniform trying to tell active service members about the proper wear of the uniform.

If you think it is being overly sensitive then so be it, you will just have to learn to live with it or use the feature mentioned above.

Archived