Sistine Chapel w/o the Vatican Museum

mousemom11

For various reasons, our group has decided not to tour the Vatican Museum. However, we would like to visit the Sistine Chapel. Based on my research, it appears that the Sistine Chapel is part of the Vatican Museum and you can only access it through the museum. Is this correct?

For those of you who have been to the Vatican before, does this sound reasonable to you? Will we be held up in the museum trying to work our way through the crowds to get back to the chapel?

Your research is correct, there is no way for the average tourist to get to the Sistine Chapel without going through the Vatican Museums, of which it is a part.

You can save time by exiting from the Sistine Chapel through the "group tour" door into St. Peter's Basilica, so you don't need to walk the several blocks back to the entrance/exit of the museums.

As eurocruiser says, if you want to visit the Sistine chapel, you will have to pay for a ticket to the museum, and you will have to go through most of it anyway just to get to the Sistine chapel. You may as well see just a few of the hundreds of highlights while you're on your way through.

Depending on the time of day, day of the week, and season of the year, it's certainly possible that the museum will be crowded enough to make rushing through it to the Sistine chapel difficult. The Vatican museum routes traffic in a particular way; don't count on being able to take a shortcut through the museum -- often rooms are cordoned off and you can only enter/exit them a certain way.

I find it a bit difficult to understand why the Sistine chapel merits a look, and all the many other treasures of the museum -- at least as worthy as the Sistine -- do not. :confused:

What about the Rafael rooms? The frescoes there are certainly comparably outstanding.

Or the Laocoon sculpture, which is probably the third best surviving Greek classical sculpture after the Venus de Milo and the Winged Victory of Samothrace (both key attractions at the Louvre)?

I made the mistake of rushing through the museums just to see the Sistine Chapel on my first visit to Rome--passed so many beautiful treasures, and regretted it for a long time. It may be the most famous part of the museums, but it is far from being the only thing worth seeing there. In fact, if you were just going to rush through the rest just to get there, you may be disappointed. . . I'm just sayin'. . .

To me the basilica itself is a huge wonder and stunning in all its glory. Why not just concentrate on that--it's free--and leave the museums until you have more time to enjoy.

As eurocruiser says, if you want to visit the Sistine chapel, you will have to pay for a ticket to the museum, and you will have to go through most of it anyway just to get to the Sistine chapel. You may as well see just a few of the hundreds of highlights while you're on your way through.

Depending on the time of day, day of the week, and season of the year, it's certainly possible that the museum will be crowded enough to make rushing through it to the Sistine chapel difficult. The Vatican museum routes traffic in a particular way; don't count on being able to take a shortcut through the museum -- often rooms are cordoned off and you can only enter/exit them a certain way.

I find it a bit difficult to understand why the Sistine chapel merits a look, and all the many other treasures of the museum -- at least as worthy as the Sistine -- do not. :confused:

What about the Rafael rooms? The frescoes there are certainly comparably outstanding.

Or the Laocoon sculpture, which is probably the third best surviving Greek classical sculpture after the Venus de Milo and the Winged Victory of Samothrace (both key attractions at the Louvre)?

My guess:

the Vatican Museum certainly contains a large number of masterpieces, but it also contains a truly remarkable amount of dross. I think it is one of the worst curated (insert wisecracks about the curia here) museum in the world.

My guess:

the Vatican Museum certainly contains a large number of masterpieces, but it also contains a truly remarkable amount of dross. I think it is one of the worst curated (insert wisecracks about the curia here) museum in the world.

Call it deja vu -- I think we've had this discussion before. :p

It all depends on the reason you visit a museum. If you go to see the very best pieces from a particular era, then I agree the Vatican museum is not the greatest. The Borghese Gallery would be a good example of a museum that does this well (i.e., carefully chosen masterpieces that highlight an era or two).

On the other hand, if you visit a museum because you are interested in learning all you can about the people who made the art, then I think you'd prefer to see everything -- dross and all -- that can help you gain an understanding of those people and that culture.

I think you can guess which group I'm in.

So we could just walk through the Basilica and pay to see the dome and skip the museum all together? Where would be enter to pass the museum? I know there is a fee for the dome where do we pay for that? We are trying to squeeze as much of Rome as we can into 1 day so we are looking at just the Basilica, the Spanish Steps/area, Trevi fountain and the Colluseum. Doable????? We are in port from 7 am to 8 pm.

I made the mistake of rushing through the museums just to see the Sistine Chapel on my first visit to Rome--passed so many beautiful treasures, and regretted it for a long time. It may be the most famous part of the museums, but it is far from being the only thing worth seeing there. In fact, if you were just going to rush through the rest just to get there, you may be disappointed. . . I'm just sayin'. . .

To me the basilica itself is a huge wonder and stunning in all its glory. Why not just concentrate on that--it's free--and leave the museums until you have more time to enjoy.

Thanks Cathy. That's great advice, which I will recommend to our group.

Cruisemom, we have a few in our group with health issues that limit the shore excursion time, coupled with 2 children who have a limited museum attention span. I intend to give the museum the time and attention it's due when I return with a friend in a few years.

Ircruising, the entrance to the Basilica is in St Peter's Square, around the corner from the entrance to the Vatican museum. I recommend that you get Rick Steves' Italy 2010 guidebook. It has maps, touring suggestions, and great details on public transportation.

Cruisemom, we have a few in our group with health issues that limit the shore excursion time, coupled with 2 children who have a limited museum attention span. I intend to give the museum the time and attention it's due when I return with a friend in a few years.

Ultimately, you have to walk through the museum anyway to get to the Sistine chapel. All I'm saying is you might as well look. :)

P.S. My son, at age 6 (nearly 7), did very well in the museum for a couple of hours and still remembers seeing the Sistine chapel -- this was just after it had been restored with the more vivid colors.

So we could just walk through the Basilica and pay to see the dome and skip the museum all together? Where would be enter to pass the museum? I know there is a fee for the dome where do we pay for that? We are trying to squeeze as much of Rome as we can into 1 day so we are looking at just the Basilica, the Spanish Steps/area, Trevi fountain and the Colluseum. Doable????? We are in port from 7 am to 8 pm.

I am going to jump in here too...... one day is almost too much of a tease.... but if that is all you get - well...... go for the best. I would like to know how you are getting from ship to Rome and back.....this could affect your time frame in a big way !

We did the museums, Sistine Chapel and St. Peters in 3.0 hours one morning with a private guide. Then a quick pizza and a taxi to the Coliseum and did the Coliseum and the Forum in the afternoon, also with the private guide. We were finished by 4. You could grab another quick taxi to Trevi and then head back to port. (If taking train, same taxi could get you there much quicker)

Now, notice I left out Spanish steps. While we enjoyed sitting there for a few hours one evening.....we were staying at a hotel right down the street. Otherwise, imo.....they are pretty much just steps. :rolleyes:

It's so hard to predict how kids will react. M, at six (almost seven), loved the Sistine Chapel, once she figured out how easy it was to look at the ceiling if I was on my knees next to her, so she could lean her head on my shoulder (we're a typically short Italian family). :rolleyes:

How long would it take to see the Vatican museums, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's in the morning without a guide? I just want to walk through them - slowly, of course - if no one can give me a compelling reason I should take the guided tours. I will order a ticket online. Train times are not an issue because I will stay overnight.

I believe thers is only one entrance that gets you into the Museum which include acces to "the chapel" If you only want to see the chapel make sure you have a good map and if you are going in the summer you'll be fighting a sea of humanity all doing the same path. My estiimate is you ccould in theory do the walk in 10-15' or less to the chapel. We were there in the summer an the pathway was simply packed. Think of walmart on blackfriday :eek:

Be warned if you are going there in the summer the chapel will be jammed packed standing room only, think of a elevator at 8am or 5pm ;)

As to what is enough time, that depends on what your interests are. IMHO there is a lot of art there, huge collections but not really that much "iconic" YMMV. I would say 1/2 day is enough to check it off. But if you are history/art buff could spend a full day.

How long would it take to see the Vatican museums, Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's in the morning without a guide? I just want to walk through them - slowly, of course - if no one can give me a compelling reason I should take the guided tours.

One compelling reason for taking a tour is the fact that the Vatican Museum is the largest museum complex in the world, with over 1400 rooms.

If you decide on a DIY self guided walking tour, one suggestion would be to take along a copy of: http://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Rome-2010/dp/1598802836

You might find it helpful to have a copy of this book now to answer some of your other questions about Rome.

I must confess that I find the Sistine Chapel the least interesting part of the complex, not because it's not wonderful but because in the high tourist season it can be a zoo: hundreds of people looking up at the ceiling and bumping into you while the guards are yelling at the people trying to take flash photos. I suspect only the cardinals and the pope ever get to see the chapel's true majesty in peace. For children, there is an Egyptian mummy in the museum that might interest them. If they're really into spooky stuff, take them to the Church of Saint Mary of the Immaculate Conception in Via Veneto. The church's crypt is decorated--yes, decorated--with the earthly remains of hundreds of Capuchin monks. The monks themselves used the bones of their departed brothers as candelabra, chandeliers, etc., and mummified monks in their robes are placed around the area in attitudes of prayer. My kids loved it years ago; your mileage may vary...

I must confess that I find the Sistine Chapel the least interesting part of the complex, not because it's not wonderful but because in the high tourist season it can be a zoo: hundreds of people looking up at the ceiling and bumping into you while the guards are yelling at the people trying to take flash photos. I suspect only the cardinals and the pope ever get to see the chapel's true majesty in peace.

Ah, not so. If you are willing to pay for it, you can get in to see the Sistine Chapel after hours with a small group. When I went, there were 12 of us and a Vatican archivist; there were only three other people in the room at the time (other than guards), an official with two guests.

The company I took this tour with a few years ago is now charging $359 per person: http://www.italywithus.com/vatican-after-hours.php

Ah, not so. If you are willing to pay for it, you can get in to see the Sistine Chapel after hours with a small group. When I went, there were 12 of us and a Vatican archivist; there were only a three other people in the room (other than guards), an official with two guests.

Sweet.

If you are willing to pay for it, you can get in to see the Sistine Chapel after hours with a small group. When I went, there were 12 of us and a Vatican archivist; there were only three other people in the room at the time (other than guards), an official with two guests.

The company I took this tour with a few years ago is now charging $359 per person: http://www.italywithus.com/vatican-after-hours.php

Thank you thank you thank you, EuroCruiser. This is a great piece of news to me.

We were in Rome at the end of April this year--it was very, very crowded and hot even then.

Without taking a private tour as mentioned above, you do have to walk through the Vatican Museum. I am not sure it would be worthwhile just for the Sistine Chapel, depending on crowds. It was so crowded the day we were there we really couldn't appreciate the famous ceiling enough.

One good thing about this is that you can then exit through the 'secret door' and go right into the basilica from there, bypassing the big lines.

We had tickets to the Vatican Museum for noon. We walked through most of the galleries, ate lunch at the cafeteria and exited at the Sistine Chapel by about 2:45. Then we did a Scavi tour at 3:15, which exits directly into the basilica at about 4. We spent at least an hour in the Basilica.

So, our total time in the Vatican (self-guided) was about 2 hours and 15 minutes, plus a brief lunch. You're not doing the Scavi tour, so add an hour or so for the Basilica. If you have small children, you could go through the museum much faster, just walking through the halls that lead to the Sistine Chapel. So, maybe, 3 hours is doable, depending on wait times in line. (We didn't have any lines to get into the Vatican Museum; we had bought our tickets ahead of time. However, others have said that doesn't guarantee no line.)

I must confess that I find the Sistine Chapel the least interesting part of the complex, not because it's not wonderful but because in the high tourist season it can be a zoo: hundreds of people looking up at the ceiling and bumping into you while the guards are yelling at the people trying to take flash photos.

We downloaded Rick Steves' audio tour of the Sistine Chapel for our iPods and I was able to focus on it, while pretty much ignoring what else was going on around me. Really enjoyed it!

Rick Steves free audio tours: Click here

There are a couple of references here to the 'secret door' that allows you to go right into the basilica. I just want to point out that if you are carrying a backpack and/or a large camera bag, you will have to check those before you are allowed to enter the museum. In that case, you would not be able to take advantage of this short-cut as you would have to go back to the entrance to retreat your bags.

There are a couple of references here to the 'secret door' that allows you to go right into the basilica. I just want to point out that if you are carrying a backpack and/or a large camera bag, you will have to check those before you are allowed to enter the museum. In that case, you would not be able to take advantage of this short-cut as you would have to go back to the entrance to retreat your bags.

Good point, but there is a way around this problem. St. Peter's basilica offers a free bag check, so you could leave your bag there, then head over the the museums, and retrieve it as you leave the basilica later. It's located in the lower level on the right hand side of the basilica.

Archived