7:33 train with 7:00 desembarkation - Civit

KirkNC

Has anyone actually made the 7:33 train in Civitavecchia when docking at 7:00? Did you ride the shuttle to the fort and than walk to the station? I would love to make the 7:33 train but don't know if it is possible.

Thanks,

Kirk

I'm pretty sure we did this past July, but I'm not positive. We were on the NCL Gem and were in port about 6 AM (scheduled for 7 AM); they started letting us off right at 7.

We took the shuttle bus to the gate (they were leaving as fast as they could fill them up, there were several waiting as we got off) and then walked the four or five blocks in about ten minutes (there were six of us trying to stay together).

I didn't get in the line for train tickets, instead, I went to the newstand and bought my BIRG tickets there.

Wow. I think that might be stressful. Assuming you are free to leave the ship at 7 a.m., you still have to find your luggage, unless you try to haul it off yourselves.

Then on to the shuttle bus, which you may or may not catch in time. The driver needs time to get the luggage on and off. You may sit there waiting for the bus to fill. You certainly will have to wait for him to get the luggage unloaded.

Then the walk to the station, or the time to get the taxi. If you walk, it's several blocks, but hauling luggage will slow you.

Then, when you get to the station, unless you buy tickets ahead of time, you have to deal with that and then may have to deal with the over and under.....If you have to be on the far track, you will have to get your luggage down one big flight of stairs, across and then up another flight of stairs, then down the tracks.

Whew. You may be touched with good fortune and have all the travelling stars align for you....but if not, there are any number of points where you may be stuck and frustrated. Possibly a lot of stress to get there and still not make that early train.

If you go for it, do so by all means, but have a back-up train in mind so you know Plan B if A falls to pieces on you! Good luck!

This is not for final disembarkation, it is a stop for the day. We have a 9:30 appointment for a Vatican tour which initially seemed easy to make but than I saw some posts where some people had missed the 7:59 train (which is my plan B). I knew the 7:33 train would be a stretch but "assumed" the 7:59 would be a piece of cake. This made me curious if anyone had actually made the 7:33. I know part of it will be luck depending on when they let us off the ship. Sometimes it is early, sometimes not. Than someone else posted that the port buses don't even start running until 7:30, I don't know if that is the norm or just the day they were in port. There will be two ships docking at 7:00 that day so again I would "assume" the buses would start around 7:00. If we have to we can walk to the train station from the ship but would prefer to at least use the bus to get to the fort.

Kirk

I would have a backup plan. If you make that train great but you might not. It all depends whether you arrive in port on time and what time the ship is cleared and what time the first shuttle runs (you can walk from the ship to the port entrance but how long that takes is based on how fast you walk and where you are docked and the same thing goes for the amount of time it takes to walk from the entrance of to the train station.

Keith

This is not for final disembarkation, it is a stop for the day. We have a 9:30 appointment for a Vatican tour which initially seemed easy to make but than I saw some posts where some people had missed the 7:59 train (which is my plan B). I knew the 7:33 train would be a stretch but "assumed" the 7:59 would be a piece of cake. This made me curious if anyone had actually made the 7:33. I know part of it will be luck depending on when they let us off the ship. Sometimes it is early, sometimes not. Than someone else posted that the port buses don't even start running until 7:30, I don't know if that is the norm or just the day they were in port. There will be two ships docking at 7:00 that day so again I would "assume" the buses would start around 7:00. If we have to we can walk to the train station from the ship but would prefer to at least use the bus to get to the fort.

Kirk

The 7:59 gets you to the San Pietro Station at 8:53. If you cab it from there you will get to the Vatican museum in plenty of time.

I brought up the cab because I told my wife about the walk before our 4 hour tour with Context Travel and she told me that I better arrange for a cab!!! :D

I hear you on that!

I did a 4-hour walking tour with them one morning, then took a bus out to the Appia Antica and walked all afternoon on the (not so comfy) stones. My feet were NOT happy at the end of the day. But who cares -- it was my last day in Rome!

You said you have a 9:30 Vatican tour. Did you buy Vatican tickets on-line from the Vatican? If so, I think you can change the reservation to a different time on the same day. That might be the safest thing to do.

Archived