Breakfast in the Pinnacle

Crazy Gramps

No I absolutely DO NOT mean that the people with the blue cards destroy the ambience. What I was trying to say (and I guess i did not do it well, sorry), is that the Pinnacle offers small tables for breakfast. Tables for two and four primarily.

That is part of what makes it nice for me. While you are trying to wake up, it's nice to have intimate tables as opposed to large tables.

That was all I meant. and people were asking for solutions instead of wining so it was just an idea.

You are absolutely right, you can get a steal of a deal on a suite (that's how we got our first one). Those that book their room in advance no that's the risk they take (someone may get theirs cheaper) but it's worth it to them to have their suite. I don't put a price on an amenity.

I just think that if the amenity is part of your package, then you should have it or some other alternative. Just was trying to think of an alternative.

I like sailing HAL. I think the best solution is to update their website and their brochures to say that the PG is not availalbe for breakfast the first three days of the cruise. If people know, they won't be upset. They can then make an educated decision.

It's when you get onboard and discover it that you have people who are upset because they are surprised.!

I think that you will find you can get a table for 2 in the morning in the MDR. I feel it's very tiring eating with a big table everyday. I did it most days on my last cruise and it was so nice having room service alone for a few days. In the past I have asked for my own table and it's rarely been a problem and I'm in the cheap seats.

This is what is so good about cruise critic.....you get great info here that HAL doesn't feel the need to mention ahead of time. I can totally understand what you are saying but I'd love to have a plain old balcony. I'm feeling comfortable enough now to move from an inside to a oceanview so a balcony would be my dream. I work hard for my money and have to save for all mine too. Personally I feel blessed and happy to be on any cruise. If this is the thing that is really important to you and you are not getting it I wouldn't bother with the suite.

Most people I know worked hard for their money. DH and I certainly were not among the very lucky who inherited a fortune. Anything we might have, we worked very, very hard for.... and DH continues to work very, very hard.

You also have no monopoly on feeling very, very blessed and happy to be on any cruise. As the saying goes, "Get in line and take a number" . Most of us feel the same way. Nothing unique about that.

I never do well with hypotheticals about any subject. I don't know what would bother me or not; what I would do or not; what I would agree to or not until I am in the situation. Until I've had those moccasins on my feet, I don't know how they feel.

Complaining makes us feel good but doesn't solve the issue..! Curious why u are taking such offense <snip> :) at my comments though??

I use <snip> (which I learned to do here) to assure it is clear what I am quoting from your post is not your entire post. It shows I have "snipped" a portion from your comment in the event someone thinks I may have taken it out of context they know to go look for the rest of your words.

It is often considered courteous to do so.

Most people I know worked hard for their money. DH and I certainly were not among the very lucky who inherited a fortune. Anything we might have, we worked very, very hard for.... and DH continues to work very, very hard.

You also have no monopoly on feeling very, very blessed and happy to be on any cruise. As the saying goes, "Get in line and take a number" . Most of us feel the same way. Nothing unique about that.

I never do well with hypotheticals about any subject. I don't know what would bother me or not; what I would do or not; what I would agree to or not until I am in the situation. Until I've had those moccasins on my feet, I don't know how they feel.

Gee, I don't recall saying that you inherited money. I was replying to the person that said they work hard and save a long time for cruises. Many of us do. It seems every time I post something you have to take offence to something I say. It's very tiresome. I know how much you like to have the last word so I will not be replying to anything you post.

I think that you will find you can get a table for 2 in the morning in the MDR. I feel it's very tiring eating with a big table everyday. I did it most days on my last cruise and it was so nice having room service alone for a few days. In the past I have asked for my own table and it's rarely been a problem and I'm in the cheap seats.

I guess we don`t ask the right way. When we ate in the MDR for breakfast or lunch, we only got a small table once or twice. The rest of the time we were plunked at one of the large tables. and we were in the not so cheap seats! the only reason I made the suggestion I did which came out wrong!

we do use room service on early port days if dh wants.

In addition to having more availability of tables for two, the biggest difference I noticed between the Pinnacle and the MDR for breakfast was the level of service. In the MDR when we ate there, coffee wasn't refilled until very late in the service, the food took a long time to arrive and one order for a table mate didn't arrive until 15 minutes after the other orders were served.

In the Pinnacle, the service was incredible, the coffee was refilled frequently, during the meal, the servers continued to offer additional juice and breakfast pastries, and the orders were quickly delivered. The food was the same, the level of service was just on an entirely different level. Much more attentive and prompt, in my opinion. Again, as I mentioned in my review of our May 30 Oosterdam sailing, not having the Pinnacle for two mornings was disappointing and combining that with some problems with service for our suite and not receiving one or two other suite amenities simply diminished the value of a suite for me.

Gee, I don't recall saying that you inherited money. I was replying to the person that said they work hard and save a long time for cruises. Many of us do. It seems every time I post something you have to take offence to something I say. It's very tiresome. I know how much you like to have the last word so I will not be replying to anything you post.

I was replying there is no monopoly on most of us working very hard for whatever we have.

This takes us far from the subject at hand which is Breakfast in Pinnacle Grill.

I guess we don`t ask the right way. When we ate in the MDR for breakfast or lunch, we only got a small table once or twice. The rest of the time we were plunked at one of the large tables. and we were in the not so cheap seats! the only reason I made the suggestion I did which came out wrong!

we do use room service on early port days if dh wants.

They do like to push the big tables. I'm fairly certain most days....if not all...you could get a table for 2 without much trouble.

In addition to having more availability of tables for two, the biggest difference I noticed between the Pinnacle and the MDR for breakfast was the level of service. In the MDR when we ate there, coffee wasn't refilled until very late in the service, the food took a long time to arrive and one order for a table mate didn't arrive until 15 minutes after the other orders were served.

In the Pinnacle, the service was incredible, the coffee was refilled frequently, during the meal, the servers continued to offer additional juice and breakfast pastries, and the orders were quickly delivered. The food was the same, the level of service was just on an entirely different level. Much more attentive and prompt, in my opinion. Again, as I mentioned in my review of our May 30 Oosterdam sailing, not having the Pinnacle for two mornings was disappointing and combining that with some problems with service for our suite and not receiving one or two other suite amenities simply diminished the value of a suite for me.

While I've never eaten breakfast in the Pinnacle I agree the service is WAY better in there. The MDR can be really painfully slow and many times I'd prefer it if they let me get my own coffee. There has been many times I had to ask several times for a refill. I found the last few days on the Oosterdam to be especially bad. There was a large group on the ship that paid next to nothing for their cruise and service was not the same as it had been the 10 days prior.

Breakfast in Pinnacle Grill is far quieter than the dining room, service is excellent, most of the tables (on "S" class ships) have window views. I like using the lovely table setting and crystal glasses. I like the orchid on the table and rather than the cart being wheeled around with breakfast pastries, I like the smaller tray that is offered. None of this means a thing to a great many people but it does to us. We all look for whatever it is that pleases us.

They could cancel all trivia games, never present another show in the lounge, call off bingo and I wouldn't notice.

I am noticing something WE like is being compromised and feel inclined to comment about it.

Perhaps someone in HAL may read this and think, "Gee, they might have a point" and something might be done about it........ or Not.

It is the way I choose to address the issue until we are aboard ship and can comment in person. I am not interested in sending e-mails and letters to add to the piles they likely receive daily.

I appreciate the notice that this suite perk is gone at least for part of the cruise with no prior notice. After being in a suite on NCL and eating breakfast and lunch in their Cagneys with great food and service in a quiet setting, I would not want to give that up. We were considering a suite on Hal for the same perk. The only time we have gotten sick (once noro on NCL and once a nasty cold on Princess) was when we ate one time in the buffet on each of the cruises. If Pinacle is gone for a percentage of the cruise, why pay the extra? Thanks for the heads up!

Looks like some people care about this amenity, so what I will do is post on DBA's thread (Dutch by Association) to see if he can get some answers or at least pass on concerns for us to HAL.

We were on the Oosterdam last week, and we still served ourselves in Neptune Lounge each day. We were walked to Neptune Lounge at embarkation, and food was out waiting for us. We were never told to wait for someone to serve us. We always served ourselves each time we were there, including the first 48 hours.

This is curious. I wonder why HAL feels that we are in any less danger of contracting Noro among suite passengers than among the rest of us?:confused:

If we're in a limited Code Red the first days it should be throughout the ship including Neptune.

Aw, gee... please make fun of me! I realize how totally ridiculous this whole thing is!

I don't think I mentioned anything about paying for the Pinnacle breakfast perk specifically (maybe I did?) but it is the only reason we get a suite. Some love the Neptune, or laundry, or whatever. Us, we just love that breakfast... No breakfast, then we don't need no stinkin' suite! :D

Oh good!:D We agree ... it couldn't be more ridiculous in the scheme of things but I love a good discussion about some things and this turned out to be one of those.

No you didn't say a word about paying for the Pinnacle breakfast, but others did ..... "I paid for it, I want it" (or I'm taking my toys and going home);) Sorry I sound snippy, but this can get really old really fast.

BTW, we absolutely can get breakfast without joining a gizillion people. They definitely will take you to a table alone if that's what you prefer.

And our last cruise there were orchids on every table in the Lido:). I noticed because I was thinking how hard I have to work on just my two.

I know I'm getting annoying, but reading this thread makes me think and feel things I'd rather not experience. It's all just so shallow.

And it's doubly curious that just about everyone who loves the Pinnacle for breakfast must be here on this thread. I have to say I've walked by the Pinnacle several times in the morning hours and there's no one in there.

And it's doubly curious that just about everyone who loves the Pinnacle for breakfast must be here on this thread. I have to say I've walked by the Pinnacle several times in the morning hours and there's no one in there.

There are always people in the pinnacle grill. Normally everyone is seated by the window and with the walls and the way the pinnacle is set up, it is difficult to see anyone is there unless you walk in and look around the corner!

It has never been empty or even nearly empty when I eat breakfast there.

I noticed on our cruise last week (Rotterdam) that most of the people doing the 'handing out' of water etc had Pinnacle Grill uniforms on. Maybe with the way they have to serve everything they need the extra staff to help out and decided to borrow them from the Pinnacle, not leaving enough people to allow opening for breakfast? I am sure DBA will be able to confirm this.

Am I wrong or isn't breakfast in the Pinnacle a relatively new perk for suite passengers? People were booking suites long before there was breakfast in the Pinnacle.

yep, you're wrong:D

Pinnacle is not a relatively new perk for suite passengers .. Pinnacle has been up and around for at least 10-12 years or more (remember: there was Marco Polo on the R Class which pre-dated Pinnacle on the S and then the Vista Class)

as for it being a perk, sure is

and why not

it's not free .. laundry isn't free for suite Pax .. they're both built into the price of the full suite

when I read most of the criticism, it seems to come from the "have nots" who want to satirize those with the perks ..

why not .. it's human nature to want more .. especially if it's "free"

but the point is, or at least should be IMHO, that Pinnacle breakfast is something offered to suite pax that should not be taken away .. period, paragraph, end of sentence

it is pure foolishness IMO to listen to the "for the convenience of our passengers" spiel and attempt to make believe it's anything but PR run amok .. there is absolutely, positively no justifiable reason why Pinnacle should be closed for breakfast ..

and by the by, and for what it's worth, if someone prefers to dine on the balcony for breakfast, that's absolutely wonderful .. for that person ..

if however someone is in a suite, they have a absolute right to expect HAL to live up to what's promised ..

how bout a refund Seattle:eek:

yeah, ok .. bottle house "red" instead:D

Sails has this down to its most simple bottom line: I paid for it, now deliver

and what's wrong with that:confused:

This is curious. I wonder why HAL feels that we are in any less danger of contracting Noro among suite passengers than among the rest of us?:confused:

If we're in a limited Code Red the first days it should be throughout the ship including Neptune.

At the time that we were walked to Neptune Lounge upon embarkation, I had no idea that Pinnacle would not be open for the first 48 hours. Nor did I know that we had code red precautions in place at that time. We went to Neptune Lounge before we went anywhere -- dining room, stateroom, open deck, etc. To be honest, though, I never thought about the contradiction until reading this thread. It is a bit curious.

I also want to clarify that not having Pinnacle Grill breakfast for those few days was not a deal breaker for me. We hope to save and book a suite again. We did miss it those few days, though. The intimate table by the window, the extraordinary service, and the quiet atmosphere make breakfast there a special treat!

Pinnacle is not a relatively new perk for suite passengers .. Pinnacle has been up and around for at least 10-12 years or more (remember: there was Marco Polo on the R Class which pre-dated Pinnacle on the S and then the Vista Class)

and why not

it's not free .. laundry isn't free for suite Pax .. they're both built into the price of the full suite

when I read most of the criticism, it seems to come from the "have nots" who want to satirize those with the perks ..

but the point is, or at least should be IMHO, that Pinnacle breakfast is something offered to suite pax that should not be taken away .. period, paragraph, end of sentence

it is pure foolishness IMO to listen to the "for the convenience of our passengers" spiel and attempt to make believe it's anything but PR run amok .. there is absolutely, positively no justifiable reason why Pinnacle should be closed for breakfast ..

and by the by, and for what it's worth, if someone prefers to dine on the balcony for breakfast, that's absolutely wonderful .. for that person ..

if however someone is in a suite, they have a absolute right to expect HAL to live up to what's promised ..

Thank you. Well said.

and why not

I don't know what gives you the right to assume the posters are "have nots."

Perhaps some of them ARE suite pax.

And some of them are "choose nots."

How can HAL give you a "refund" based on the price of the suite - when suite pricing is all over the board?

Better for HAL to put a disclaimer on its website when it lists the suite amenities and explain that due to the new protocol, the PG is closed for breakfasts for the first three days.

I will be interested in hearing it directly from Seattle - the reasons for this decision. Perhaps they can enlighten us all, the haves and the have nots. :rolleyes:

How can HAL give you a "refund" based on the price of the suite - when suite pricing is all over the board?

Better for HAL to put a disclaimer on its website when it lists the suite amenities and explain that due to the new protocol, the PG is closed for breakfasts for the first three days.

I will be interested in hearing it directly from Seattle - the reasons for this decision. Perhaps they can enlighten us all, the haves and the have nots. :rolleyes:

Thank you for always being the voice of reason. I appreciate it:).

like Seinfeld might have said, "yada yada yada yada":D:D

"choose nots" sounds like something coming out of Dr. Zhivago not Seattle:eek:

by the way, when someone says they're on Main Deck or in the "cheap seats", you gotta think maybe they're not in a Suite

I'm not waiting for Seattle to answer .. I'm waiting for Seattle to change the newest way it has found to charge more and to give less

We very recently booked our first "real" suite on the Eurodam for summer 2011. The vacation planner who handled our booking told us that we would receive a complimentary Pinnacle dinner. For those of you who have suited before, is this typical? After reading this thread, I'm wondering if that's being offered as a sort of compensation for missing breakfasts?

They could do that very easily if they wanted to, but they don't, so they won't. As to suite pricing being all over the board, all cabin pricing is "all over the board" but the prices for suites eligible for Neptune & breakfast in the Pinnacle are almost always quite significantly higher than prices for other suites and cabins precisely because of the promised additional services and other preferences. Judging by some of the comments here (not yours), it sounds like some people would have no problem with booking a cabin with verandah only to learn that the verandah will not be unlocked until day 3 of their seven day cruise because the ship has other more important priorities. After all, the verandah is still out there, it is just an "amenity," and they can see it through their door.

That sounds like a fine idea. Once they decide to make the new protocol permanent, perhaps they will.

and why not

Obviously you have not read the entire thread.

I am one of those "HAVE" and always book an SA or PS.

Back quite a few posts I mentioned how the breakfasts were stopped back in 2004 for the Suite passengers -- we were among the last to have this perk before it was stopped -- guess you missed my post.

The it was resummed about 4 years ago.

So it has not always been around for 10 - 12 years.

like Seinfeld might have said, "yada yada yada yada":D:D

"choose nots" sounds like something coming out of Dr. Zhivago not Seattle:eek:

by the way, when someone says they're on Main Deck or in the "cheap seats", you gotta think maybe they're not in a Suite

I'm not waiting for Seattle to answer .. I'm waiting for Seattle to change the newest way it has found to charge more and to give less

And "have nots" sounds like ... ???

Sorry if the allusion was lost on you ... that is why I *chose* choose nots and did not feel the need to further explain.

But let me.

There are people who choose not to book suites for whatever reason. Maybe they want to spend the vacation dollars in other ways. Maybe they care less about the accommodations and perks -- and more about shore excursions and shopping.

Just because a person is not in a suite does not mean they are without the means to afford one.

So they are not "have nots," they are "choose nots."

OK - let me make this more personal. We choose to sail in either a VA or SY. For us, those are perfectly good accommodations. We've had a suite once. Loved it. But would I book one again? Probably not. Why? I just don't find it's worth it -- to me. Unless I get another stupendous deal! ;)

But I don't begrudge anyone's preference for booking suites. How they spend their vacation dollars is up to them.

As far as your "yadda, yadda, yadda" comment - please do not demean what I, or anyone else on CC has to say.

We're all here to give our opinion - and listening to another's opinion in a graceful manner - and responding likewise - is appreciated.

Archived