Changing bookings made onboard and preserving upgrades

peatisback

We made a future Celebrity booking on a previous sailing. The incentive was a two class upgrade w/$100 onboard credit.

We ended up booking a C1 that was priced at a C3 on the Eclipse. Our original stateroom was aft, and I was hesitant about this, so I found a stateroom on the hump that I seemed to like better. It is a C2.

I called Celebrity, and they were able to change out stateroom, but not adjust the pricing. Based on the upgrade we received, I would think we should pay for a 1A, and receive the two class upgrade to C2.

Has anyone had experience with this type of change?

We made 4 bookings on our last cruise. It was carefully explained to us that we could change a cabin within the same category and keep the benefits. Any other change would result in a loss of benefits. It would take a significant price drop to make a change worthwhile.

We made a future Celebrity booking on a previous sailing. The incentive was a two class upgrade w/$100 onboard credit.

We ended up booking a C1 that was priced at a C3 on the Eclipse. Our original stateroom was aft, and I was hesitant about this, so I found a stateroom on the hump that I seemed to like better. It is a C2.

I called Celebrity, and they were able to change out stateroom, but not adjust the pricing. Based on the upgrade we received, I would think we should pay for a 1A, and receive the two class upgrade to C2.

Usually upgrade offerings are within the class, example, inside to inside , balcony to balcony, in other words, if you have a C-3, you should be able to use a free upgrade to a C-1, but if you had a C-2 it would not get you upgraded to AQ, likewise you couldn't upgrade from AQ to suite, does this help?

I believe the OP was referring to the upgrades given for an onboard booking. With this type of booking you cannot move from your category even if there is a higher category within the same type of cabin. If you have a 1A you must remain in a 1A to keep benefits. If you do want to change the price difference will be based on what you paid, not the price of the cabin booked since you received up to a three category upgrade as an incentive to book on board.

On board I was led to believe that 2 category upgrades would carry over if I changed booking later on. But when I tried I was told the 2 category upgrade was not transferable and that I was only eligible for one. And yes, must be within the same class-inside to inside,etc.

I think I follow you.

If you paid a C3 rate on the ship and booked a C1, then changed from a C1 to a C2, your C3 rate would still apply. The "group" you booked in was Concierge Class, so your flexibility for movement, without price problems was in that class only.

I think I follow you.

If you paid a C3 rate on the ship and booked a C1, then changed from a C1 to a C2, your C3 rate would still apply. The "group" you booked in was Concierge Class, so your flexibility for movement, without price problems was in that class only.

You are correct! She can go down, but not up.

A related question, if I may (asked this once before, didn't get much of a response)--

If you book, say, a C1 at a C3 rate and there's a price drop on the C3, can you get the price drop and keep the C1? I've been given conflicting answers.

I am also interested in the subject of price drops on promotional bookings.

We have a C1 on an Infinity Panama Call cruise next year. We booked on board and got the 2-category upgrade and OBC. The details:

Price at time of booking:

C3 - 6,146.72 (what we paid for the two of us)

C1 - 6,446.72 (list price, giving us a $300 discount, sweet!)

Now, suppose that the C1 goes down to 6,246 and the C3 goes down to 5,946. Would we then get the $200 price drop based on the price we paid or would the C1 have to go below the original C3 price before we got any reduction?

I use a price monitor and would like to know which price to put in so I can get an alert if I qualify for a reduction (not likely, but I can and do dream).

Orator, you answered while I was composing. So I should monitor my C1 price but put the original amount I paid as the base?

As I understand the rules your cost basis is what you paid not he price of the upgraded cabin.. Thus, the price for the cabin you now have would have to fall below what you paid when you booked for you to gain a price reduction.

When we got it in November, the Future Cruise Consultant told us it was a promotion. Based on posts here at CC, that seems to have been true for a while, but is so common now that I wonder if it is not just how the program works now.

But it is not a guaranteed two-category upgrade (remember, this is really just a price break as you get the cabin you want at a lower price). It can be, but there have to be at least three categories within the type of cabin you book. For instance, you can get a 2-category upgrade in Concierge Class by taking a C1 at a C3 price. But if you wanted a C2 because of location, all you would get is a one-category upgrade. If you are booking an FV cabin I don't think there is any discount.

And for suites, I think only the Sky Suites (S1 at S2 price) have a possible one-category upgrade, Celebrity, Royal and Penthouse suites won't have any.

I booked onboard Solstice in May, 2010 for a FEB 2011 Equinox and got a C1 upgrade for booking a C3 price (it was more expensive than the C3 "sale" price I had previously obtained during a special in April, but the AFT cabins are my weakness and I got an OBC to offset some of the increase so I rebooked at the higher price to get the C1 over the lower priced C3).

After returning home, the C3 rate dropped below what I paid for it on the ship - I called to check and Celebrity indicated that they would honor the OBC from onboard booking and give me the "new" C3 price but I would lose the upgrade to C1 and would have to take a C3. They told me the price of my upgraded category (C1) had to drop, not the category I paid for (C3) = the C3 price drop did nothing for me if I wanted to keep the C1; sounds like others have had different experience?

On board I was led to believe that 2 category upgrades would carry over if I changed booking later on. But when I tried I was told the 2 category upgrade was not transferable and that I was only eligible for one. And yes, must be within the same class-inside to inside,etc.

We made an onboard booking and, in addition to the OBC, we received a complimentary one cat upgrade. When we got home, we changed our cabin category to a higher one. When we did so, we kept the OBC, but lost the complimentary upgrade.

I think this is pretty customary.

Jo-Ann

Archived