Is it ok for Canadians to Book a cruise with U.S. TA?

honey-bunny

Is it ok for Canadians to Book a cruise with U.S. TA?

We live in Canada but would love to book our next cruise with U.S based TA agency , the rates are better and the $$ exchange rate for us is not that bad , anything we should know before using a U.S. TA to book a Hal cruise?

Ps the TA that we want to book with is known by us and a very nice reliable person and very knowledgeable with booking Hal cruises we just never booked with U.S. TA before , what to expects we would love to hear some reply from our fellow Canadians that have done that before

have never booked with a US travel agency/agent - HOWEVER, I have been booking cruises in US currency through my Cdn TA --- they can quote you both US and CDN pricing --- also Canadian travel agents are usually insured under TICO ---

Always book through a US TA!!! They have the best deals, and the way the canadian $ bounces around it makes sense. We also get our "future cruise credits" on Princess in US funds.

that is why we are trying to do the same for our upcoming Hal cruise , figure out since we will pay by credid card for the cruise it will be save to book ?

Always book through a US TA!!! They have the best deals, and the way the canadian $ bounces around it makes sense. We also get our "future cruise credits" on Princess in US funds.

On HAL, I overheard the Future Cruise Consultant tell some people paying the $100 for a future cruise option that it would be in the same currency used to pay the current sailing. So, if the current sailing was paid with CAD, that is how the Future Cruise deposit would be assessed, and if in USD the deposit would be in USD.

On HAL, I overheard the Future Cruise Consultant tell some people paying the $100 for a future cruise option that it would be in the same currency used to pay the current sailing. So, if the current sailing was paid with CAD, that is how the Future Cruise deposit would be assessed, and if in USD the deposit would be in USD.

yes this is tru on hal for FCC , however we had not given any deposit during our past cruises , we found a good delas from US TA that we know and we like we just never had booked any cruise from US TA before my DH is telling me that there is a 1st for everything but just wanted to have more info for other that had dodne it before what are pros and cons? right now the uS ta offred beeter pricing that our canadian TA

We usually book with an on line US TA..no issues. But, on our last Celebrity cruise it was more attractive to book in Canada because of currency and because the cruise lines set exchange in advance and keep in tagged for several months. So, sometimes when the currency changes quickly the cross border advantages can disappear. Seven out of our last eight cruises have been booked with a US internet TA.

We had a FCC (first name Alan) in 2007 tell us we had to buy the FCD in Canadian funds using that story. Well it is not true because we just finished a cruise on the Zaandam which we paid in Canadian funds because of the FCD we had purchased being in Cdn. Funds. While on board the ship (the Zaandam) we purchased another FCD and have already applied towards a cruise next Oct. 2011 and we purchased it in US Funds. The FCC told us we could purchase the FCD in whatever funds we wanted to. It has already been accepted and we have our booking to prove it.

I deal with a realiable large cruise-only Canadian company that has franchises across the country. I always deal with the owner of the franchise here in Toronto. I usually get a quote from them in Cdn. and U.S. funds and then look online. They are always within $50 of online agencies. they also do not have cancellation charges and you can always speak to a live person. Currently, I have a cruise with them which I booked in Cdn funds and another one that I booked in US funds. They are also protected by TICO so if anything goes wrong you are protected.

Honey-Bunny, you've heard it all. I can only add to make sure you *do* price at least 3 ways - local TA in both currencies, HAL in both currencies, and a discount US based TA in US$. Just when I think I have pricing figured out, someone pitches another screwball.

Dot73 mentioned TICO - good reminder.

However, make sure no Canadian taxes are added if dealing with a Canadian TA - not applicable on cruise fare since all travel is outside Canada.

Archived