RCCL Suite Guests

RCI should look at what Princess does for their suite guests - free laundry & drycleaning, a one-time set-up of alcohol, sodas, beer and water in the cabin AND a discounted happy hour, breakfast in a specialty restaurant (not just the ability to get your own food and bring it into the restaurant - a separate fabulous menu) and free internet. If we were regular suite dwellers, I think we'd go with Princess almost every time.

Interesting thread...sounds like I've been missing out on living the suite life.

I've never really considered booking a suite before, one reason could be I really don't know what are the perks for suite guests. Can someone go over the basics for us non suite passengers? And what are the recent changes?

What I know about suites:

-larger room

- special seating in theater

- special lounge for free drinks

What else am I missing? Would you recommend it to others?

For what you are missing and recent changes, go here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/contentWithHero.do;jsessionid=0000ISNPGSEq7NdoZ7k4HtpVlzq:13hldio7n?pagename=enhanced_program_for_suite_guests

and here

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Staterooms&faqId=2675&faqSubjectId=320&faqType=faq

As for recommending, it all depends on what you want from your cruise and what you're willing to pay for.

I am really shocked that you cannot preorder liquor for a room. As I have sailed X and done it this seems absurd! Why have a dry bar?????

ahh... if the valet luggage service is the same on RCL as Celebrity... you still have to go and find your bags and give them to the Valet service. I thought it would be .. put them out the night before and never see them again..... not so.

I think it depends on what port you're at. Last year at Port Canaveral we used the Luggage Valet that comes with suites and after setting it out the night before, we didn't see it again until we arrived home.

I agree RCL has lots of catching up to do regarding suites.

When we sailed NCL - we had a mini suite and when we boarded a rep. took our carry on luggage and walked us to our cabin.

Princess allows you to bring wine onboard.

RCI should look at what Princess does for their suite guests - free laundry & drycleaning, a one-time set-up of alcohol, sodas, beer and water in the cabin AND a discounted happy hour, breakfast in a specialty restaurant (not just the ability to get your own food and bring it into the restaurant - a separate fabulous menu) and free internet. If we were regular suite dwellers, I think we'd go with Princess almost every time.

Being that Princess still does the partial Panama canal sailing I have been looking at that website with great detail.

critterchick-I'd love to know your thoughts on Princess.

I think your above quote hits the nail on the head and I'm sure as we all type-corporate is still working on this whole suite enhancement program.

I've learned there is a huge market for suite guests that don't sail for the loyalty program-they sail for 'space' and yes-perks that come with that stateroom with families that still need the mass market activity. I've heard Princess has a good kid/teen program also. Did you notice the amount of families on your sailings???

I think it depends on what port you're at. Last year at Port Canaveral we used the Luggage Valet that comes with suites and after setting it out the night before, we didn't see it again until we arrived home.

Ha, ha, ha! We live 2 hours from Canaveral; I wonder if they will have a special van bring our luggage home!:D

This is my first sailing on RCCL and I booked an OS. So are you saying I cannot prebook a bottle to be in my suite when I board for in room use?

I have sailed in suites on Celebrity prior...and the more I hear about what RCL is doing the more likely I am to cancel this trip. I booked this trip to sail with friends from CC.... but I am not so sure this is the cruise line for me. I had thought (dumb me) being they are operated by the same company that the suite perks would be about the same. Now I wonder.

And I might ad the butlers on Celebrity are great!

It's sad to say, but you cannot have a bottle in your suite, as you can with Celebrity.

That being said, there is the concierge lounge that does offer free drinks between, normally 5PM and 8:30PM. I realize that Celebrity now offers a similar program in Michael's Lounge in the evening, and they also allow not only pre order, but, onboard, just let your butler know what kind of liquor and mixers that you want, and it will be there that day.

I'm not going to get into smuggling persay, but perhaps if you were to look at a website that you could google, that talks about rumrunners, you might find an interesting "cruise" package. Not saying that this is right, but just a thought.;)

Rick

Being that Princess still does the partial Panama canal sailing I have been looking at that website with great detail.

I think your above quote hits the nail on the head and I'm sure as we all type-corporate is still working on this whole suite enhancement program.

I've learned there is a huge market for suite guests that don't sail for the loyalty program-they sail for 'space' and yes-perks that come with that stateroom with families that still need the mass market activity. I've heard Princess has a good kid/teen program also. Did you notice the amount of families on your sailings???

We actually did that partial canal sailing a few years ago. It was our first and only time on princess. It was great. I thought the food was very good and of course the pizza - well everybody likes the pizza on Princess.

I liked everything about Princess - especially the personal choice dining.

We went back to RCL because of the new big ships. Now that we've done that.....

We usually sail on Carnival who doesn't have suite perks other than priority embarking & debarking. They do have a lovely Bon Voyage department which allows you to pre-order alcohol for your cabin so was able to get some decent single malt whisky for my DSs when they sailed with us. Thought I'd do the same for my DH on our upcoming RCI cruise. Was surprised when I found out they don't do that :confused:! Odd...They'd certainly make some $$$ from non-smugglers!

Do all ships have the CL? I thought the smaller ones only have the Diamond Event, not a CL. Am I wrong?? We are now D but have never sailed in a Suite. Closest we got was a JS. We will be sailing on the Grandeur in Sept and we have booked the Royal Suite. It is my 60th birthday and we are going for it. I wish we were able to get a nice bottle of scotch for DH. I know we can get wine or champagne. We both drink them so at least we can have something at our bar.

Maybe they will make a few more changes by the time we sail in Sept.

Can't wait

Irene

Besides all the Princess perks listed above they have two TVs in minisuites on up and the full suites have a 2 part bathroom with an entry from both the bedroom area and living area. The kids can be showering while dad is shaving or using the bathroom. Having also been on suites on RC, Carnival, and HAL, I find Princess the best set up if traveling with kids or a third adult in the room. I was just on MOS in a GS. We did use the consierge lounge for an evening drink but after tipping the consierge and his helpers we ended up in the red. The lounge was always crowded and drinks were only served from 5:30 to 8:30. Pricess let us bring wine on board(as of last Sept, we were able to bring 1 bottle pp, in 2007 it was unlimited) plus we had the free bar set up. I would rather drink on my balcony then in a crowded, windowless concierge lounge.

The reserved seats were nice esp at the ice show, but I felt self concious sitting in these seats. We did bring our breakfast into chops one morning and they served us fresh squeezed OJ, a charge if you get that in the windjammer.

I have to say that we cruise in Royal Caribbean suites for the space and the service experience. The perks are nice and very much appreciated, but perks do not come into play as the determining factor in our decision. I enjoy the Concierge Lounge for the overall experience. I often hear people referring to it only for free drinks (which are definitely appreciated by me ;)), but there is so much more to it. The continental breakfast, awesome cappuchino/coffee machine, and a very friendly concierge play a role.

Eric

If they have a bar area in the suite, you should be able to buy a bottle of liquer and have in your room with the bar set-up. What good is the bar set-up if you can't have anything in your room to mix with it.

Irene

In the 1990's they did have liquor in the suites (at least in the Royal Suite and I think the Owner's suite). They also had liquor for sale on the ship. They have since done away with that.

I always thought it funny to have a whole bar set up, but no alcohol. I always wondered what the bar was for, especially on the ships built after 2000, when those rules went into effect.

To answer your question, I would like to see free laundry and dry cleaning for suite guests.

Also free Internet would be lovely.

And if you are traveling solo, I also think that diamond plus should get an extra cruise credit, after all they are paying for more than one fare.

Pat

Two things i would like to add, the GS we have had has a bar with 20 plus glasses and no bottles allowed, strange.

Suite guest should be allowed to bring duty free back to there cabin.

The second is a table to eat your meals off.(GS)

You can now order all your meals in your room if you want, but either have to eat it standing at the bar or crouched over the coffee table.

other lines provide a portable table if none in the cabin.

Oh also give the perks to the Junior Suites

g

Could someone please explain the priority seating in the theater and pools to me? Is it a separate section?

esther, I don't know about the theater, as we have not taken in a show in the past 2 years, but on ships with ice skating, there is a section set aside for suite guests, and also at the pool area, one half deck up, on the ships that I have been on, have a reserved seating area. We are not pool people, so it's something else that we never use.

Rick

I enjoy Princess, but find that the energy is a bit lower than on an RCI ship. I'm not talking about the activities, but the staff and crew seem to be a bit less enthusiastic about their jobs and the passengers. Now, the RCI crew could just be acting, but I don't care - the end result is that most of the employees do what they can to make us feel special, whether in a suite or an inside cabin.

And the dining room service for Anytime Dining varies wildly by ship. It was great on the Star, but horrible on the Sapphire - we're going back to traditional dining on her.

The suite itself is a pretty good use of space - another poster already outlined the physical setup.

Do all ships have the CL? I thought the smaller ones only have the Diamond Event, not a CL. Am I wrong?? We are now D but have never sailed in a Suite. Closest we got was a JS. We will be sailing on the Grandeur in Sept and we have booked the Royal Suite. It is my 60th birthday and we are going for it. I wish we were able to get a nice bottle of scotch for DH. I know we can get wine or champagne. We both drink them so at least we can have something at our bar.

Maybe they will make a few more changes by the time we sail in Sept.

Can't wait

Irene

Most of the Vision class ships don't have a CL (Enchantment, Splendour and Legend do, although I've read here that Legend closes the CL on her Asian itineraries in favor of having a card room), and I don't think that suite guests are invited to the Diamond Event. I think there is a single senior officers' party for the suite guests.

Oh also give the perks to the Junior Suites

I do wish RCI would either make the JS a "real" suite or put it back into the balcony category (used to be a Category C).

The theater reserved seating is a roped off area. On Mariner and Radiance, it was in the mezzanine and pretty well guarded until shortly before the show began. The seats were usually mostly unoccupied at the shows we attended. No Diamond Plus also have access to the reserved seating, so I guess Radiance will have to do something about the embroidered seatbacks that say "suite guests only" or something to that effect.

I do wish RCI would either make the JS a "real" suite or put it back into the balcony category (used to be a Category C).

I didn't cruise back then. That's a perfect designation. C is for Closet. :)

Not that the rooms a closet...you know what I mean.

Gina

I didn't cruise back then. That's a perfect designation. C is for Closet. :)

Not that the rooms a closet...you know what I mean.

Gina

Yes, I do!:D Our first cruise on Vision was in 2002 - a C guarantee booked about 3 weeks before sailing - we ended up in 8088, the aft now-JS with a wraparound balcony. What are the odds!

They would never do that, there are just too many!

That's the truth...it would work as well as having all the D people in the CL. Not to mention it would drive the price up and make the roomiest non true suite category not an option for those who want more space without the extra perks.

Gina

Which is why they need to change the name from "suite" to something else. It's confusing for new cruisers.

My point entirely

It is called a suite but has none of the benifits of a suite.

Try explaining that to a new cruiser

It should be returned to a C Delux Balcony or given the same perks as a suite

G

Archived