Oosterdam..narrowed down to 3 choices!

mexico5

Okay, after wasting my whole day on line reading and looking at pics I have it narrowed down to 3 cabins for the Oosterdam cruise to Mexico in December!

VC (near the back of the ship on deck 5)

VB (near the back of the ship on deck 6)

SY (middle/back of ship on deck 6)

SY is $92./cabin more than the VB

VB is $112./cabin than the VC

So what would you experienced HAL cruises pick out of the above 3? Our main goal is to have a covered balcony. The SY seems to have alot more room and not that much so do you think it's a no brainer?

Sorry for being so unsure of this cabin thing!

Thanks, I was wondering why the SY was hardly any more than the verandah staterooms..maybe I thought there must be something wrong with the SYs on deck 6. Now I am really making myself crazy!

If it is still available we will go for the SY!

Thanks!

Well we have a choice of VC5169, VB6153 or SY6115. If anyone has any thoughts of any of these 3 please let me know. Sometimes I wish I wasn't a Virgo and had to analyze things to death!!

All within a $100. from each other...

Thanks!

Well we have a choice of VC5169, VB6153 or SY6115. If anyone has any thoughts of any of these 3 please let me know. Sometimes I wish I wasn't a Virgo and had to analyze things to death!!

Thanks!

They are all on the same side so it comes down to one thing. TAKE THE SY AS FAST AS YOU CAN I see nothing wrong on the deck plan. You have a deal:) take it as fast as you can. :D No comparison between a VC, VB to an SY. Besides if you book an SY you run the risk :p of being offered an upgrade. Grab it and go. It's bigger, nicer, roomier and you will love it.

I've just emailed my TA to hold it for 24 hours (if she can) to confirm with my DH! The SY sounds like a bigger cabin with a huge bathroom and maybe even the balcony is larger, but even if it is not, the inside space will be worth it!

Trying to figure out the symbols in the brochure right next to the SY6115...in the hallway...like squares...maybe closets or what? Don't want to be next to the laundry room or anything! I see where the stairs are and the elevators but have no idea what the other things in the hallways are!

I'm anxiously waiting for my TA to get back to me if the SY is still available! Patience is not my strong suit!

So the balcony is bigger too...that's a bonus! As long as it is covered and has a couple of chairs...we are set!

Take the SY! That room is perfect size for a nice cruise :)

Just keep on an eye on it... we were in SY once on the Oosterdam and we got upgraded to an SS. In theory that sounds great, except that it placed us on deck 8. Our room was right below the pool and it was our least favorite room on the Oosterdam thus far (Out of 6 trips). It was so incredibly loud as everyone moved chairs during the day and during the chocolate extravaganza. Also whenever they BBQ on the deck, the lighter fluid smell took over the room. So, just keep an eye on the room! If you get upgraded below the pool I think you can deny it (not sure though on that...).

Have a fantastic cruise!

I think because of stories like yours that I will put a "do not upgrade" thing on my booking. I have always done that because sometimes an upgrade isn't an upgrade to everyone. I pick a certain location because that's what I want...

This is deck 6 so it's between 2 passenger decks so that's good!

We were in an SY on deck 6 in April and loved it. Large room, large balcony, quiet, and cost only marginally more than the much narrower standard veranda rooms. And not wanting to gain weight on the cruise, we took the stairs most of the time, and deck 6 is midway between the MDR and the open Observation deck. Go for it!

I'm anxiously waiting for my TA to get back to me if the SY is still available! Patience is not my strong suit!

So the balcony is bigger too...that's a bonus! As long as it is covered and has a couple of chairs...we are set!

the balcony is definitely covered. Enjoy and good luck. hope you get it.

Thanks!

I have photos of SY 6113, 2 doors down from what you're asking about, here: http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Oosterdam/index.html I'd say go with SY 6115!!

Joanie

Definitely wish you the best on the SY cabin - you will love it! Of course, once you upgrade to the "suite life" - there is no going back!! :D

Am keeping my fingers crossed that the "SY" cabin is still available for you!!

Smooth Sailing! :)

Hi, we have a hold on the SY6111!! We will finalize things tonight with our TA. I know it's probably more expensive going through her but she is SO nice and SO helpful that we want to give her our business! I book all of our other vacations myself...

I am so excited! I know it's not the Penthouse or anything, but it will be the nicest cabin we have had!

Hopefully by tomorrow it will be officially ours and we will put down our money for it!

Thanks for the help!

PS Joanie..thanks for the photos! I did look at those and got even more excited...I am sure SY6111 is just like the SY6113!

Yes, I really want the SY! Tom did you stay at the front of the ship or the back? We are looking at the one in the middle/back of the ship.

In the past we have been more near the middle or back and we have been near the front too. On these ships, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference (if you are worried about roughness) because of the stabilizers. Advantage of the middle, stable. Advantage of going closer to the back, closer to the MDR and heading up to the Lido.

SY6111 is wonderful!

That white space with black lines in the middle of the ship is crew area: laundry storage, ice machines, etc, etc.

I completely agree with your logic about "no upgrades". I would NOT want a SS on Navigation deck, with the Lido above...no big deal, but what you have held is *perfect*!

However, do tell your TA to mark your reservation "interested in UPSELLS". HAL will call/fax your TA if they have paid deals to upgrade to a deluxe suite. It's rare to get a free deluxe suite upgrade, much more likely to get an upsell offer first. This way, they can't move you without your permission.

glad you got it. You will enjoy it and if your TA is giving you good service stick with him/her. You are probably not paying much more and might not have gotten this offer if you had used an internet company.

You probably just paid for everything with $99 to upgrade. and to listen to Fannish. she is right - be open to let HAL make you an offer. You might like the price and what they have to offer.

enjoy your cruise you are going to have a great time.

Just out of curiosity I went to the HAL website to check on what appeared in this post to be such a great deal. I was floored. It really is such a great deal. SY's are really selling for pennies a day over the VA. There is very little price gradation at all. At these prices for SY's it should be hard to pass up.

Dennis

Thanks everyone!

Thanks Patricia, I was wondering what those "little squares" were! Glad you like SY6115!

I know Dennis, I was thinking the same thing. On Princess or NCL it seemed like SO much more to move up a category...I was wondering if there was something wrong with the Sy's!

I will ask my TA to allow them to "upsell" us, but probably don't want any more temptation or decisions to make about the cabin. I think my DH is tired of hearing the word..."it's ONLY"...this much more for that, etc...

Thanks everyone!

Thanks Patricia, I was wondering what those "little squares" were! Glad you like SY6115!

I know Dennis, I was thinking the same thing. On Princess or NCL it seemed like SO much more to move up a category...I was wondering if there was something wrong with the Sy's!

I will ask my TA to allow them to "upsell" us, but probably don't want any more temptation or decisions to make about the cabin. I think my DH is tired of hearing the word..."it's ONLY"...this much more for that, etc...

Tell your DH he is getting one heck of a deal. There is nothing wrong with these cabins. You sail date must be soon. You are one of the lucky ones who has gotten an offer you should never refuse. Wait til you get on board and see the suite. And, yes, it is a Superior Verandah Suite.

You are really going to enjoy it. For the small price per day, it is worth every second of it. Tell him you will spend more time in your own cabin drinking your own wine/soda/whatever on the balcony. So you will easily save the cost with just a couple of drinks of whatever. Enjoy!!

Thanks Kazu! We won't be sailing until December and just checked on pricing in the last few days from my TA.

Cannot wait to try HAL and our larger cabin!! Love the fact that you can bring your own wine aboard too! As a fellow Canadian you know how super cheap alcohol is to buy in the US compared to Canada!

Thanks Kazu! We won't be sailing until December and just checked on pricing in the last few days from my TA.

Cannot wait to try HAL and our larger cabin!! Love the fact that you can bring your own wine aboard too! As a fellow Canadian you know how super cheap alcohol is to buy in the US compared to Canada!

I do indeed, and remember, HAL has no limit. And you have a beautiful balcony and a lovely stateroom. drinks before dinner? in your stateroom as you admire the ocean/sea/water/whatever.

Remember though the wine you bring on is only to consume in your stateroom - otherwise you pay a corkage fee. Enjoy it and yes, you can justify the whole thing with just enjoyment. Tell him it's his father's day present.

Archived