"gifts" for cabin stewards, etc?

I have to agree with extra cash. Like someone said, they share very small cabins and don't have room for a lot. We have left a small fan with our cabin steward so we wouldn't have to bring it home... actually asked him if he wanted it. He did, but said we would have to write a note saying that we gave it to him. I guess so they wouldn't think he stole it.

I think cash is always the best gift. We always tip everyone extra at the end of the cruise and I made some cards with Thank you in different languages to put the money in...they always seem to like that...probably the cash more so than the card!

I would modify that first sentence to : "Staff will behave so appreciative of anything." While I have no reason to doubt your attendant did appreciate your bottle of wine, to assume that any staff wants anything other than cash is presumptive. It is part of their job to be cordial and polite to all guests. I cannot imagine they would ever just flat out refuse a "gift" or act in any way other than happy about it, even if they throw it away five minutes after you leave.

So true. One thing that hasn't been reported yet: a staff member saying "I'd rather have this gift than money!"

Have to say this last time we had extra candy and flavored creamer for coffee that we brought and didn't use we asked that attended if he could use it he was so happy appreciated but of course it was a top of the tips

Of course cash is always appreciated. But believe me, some good Swiss Chocolate is not bad either! :)

On our first encounter with our stateroom attendant on Oasis, she literally jumped up and down when we gave her the big bar of Swiss Chocolate ;). As we've chosen My Time Dining, we prepayed our gratuities. Nonetheless, we gave her an additional tip at the end of the trip for her great work.

Unless of course the staff member is diabetic or has some other dietary problems. Some of the comments here seem more directed towards the pleasure that the giver, not the recipient, derives from the gift. Cash allows them to spend it as they see fit, doesn't take up limited storage space, and the appreciation that they exhibit is more likely to be real rather than feined.

So true. One thing that hasn't been reported yet: a staff member saying "I'd rather have this gift than money!"

It also hasn't been reported that anyone has given a gift INSTEAD of money. I think most likely anyone that gives a gift, gives it along of money. And I would strongly suspect that those are the very same people who are more generous with the amount of money that they tip.

Gina

on our last cruise, I had an overdoor hanger that had pockets in it - we used it for suntan cream and stuff like that (I think it's meant for shoes) that cost me $2 or $3, our cabin attendant asked me where I bought it from as they have such cramped space. Along with her tip (I always tip over the suggested amount as I think they do an amazing job) I gave her the overdoor hanger - she was so pleased, you would have thought I gave her diamonds. She gave me a big hug and asked if I was really sure I didn't want it. It was such a small thing to me, but it really meant a lot to her. She also thanked us for being so nice to her - I didn't think we were being super nice, I just treated her like I do anyone else I come into contact with.

Emma x

I am of the opinion that anything other than cash is rather disingenuous. Sure, those that do it may "think" it's appreciated. But I think it's actually rather selfish. "Look at me! I'm unique and special! Instead of giving you cash, I brought you a trinket from the town I lived in!" "I want to stand out in your mind, so here's an iTunes gift card!".

Giving little gifts in no way is more appreciated by the staff than the cash equivalent (even if the jump up and down and pretend it is). But it stokes the ego of the giver.

That's why I said you should know your subject.

I wouldn't assume anything. I just wouldn't make a blanket statement that they want nothing but cash. I also wouldn't give them anything instead of cash.

I only made something once...on request.

Gina

But that makes a lot of sense. You got to know the person so made them something you knew they wanted. If I was sailing and knew that a particular crew member was on that ship and knew that they liked something specific, I would get them that. Otherwise, I just give them a good tip and try not to leave my room too messy so that it is not as much work for them to clean up.

on our last cruise, I had an overdoor hanger that had pockets in it - we used it for suntan cream and stuff like that (I think it's meant for shoes) that cost me $2 or $3, our cabin attendant asked me where I bought it from as they have such cramped space. Along with her tip (I always tip over the suggested amount as I think they do an amazing job) I gave her the overdoor hanger - she was so pleased, you would have thought I gave her diamonds. She gave me a big hug and asked if I was really sure I didn't want it. It was such a small thing to me, but it really meant a lot to her. She also thanked us for being so nice to her - I didn't think we were being super nice, I just treated her like I do anyone else I come into contact with.

Emma x

Emma, that's really nice. Don't let anyone tell you that things like this are not EXTREMELY appreciated. They are. I think any person would be pleased that someone thought about them. It really is "the thought that counts" as long as it is, like mommabean stated, in addition to their regular tip.

Just give cash! Of course, any person would be appreciate if given a gift. It's the polite thing to do when accepting a gift.

These people are human beings with likes and dislikes just like us. I personally would not want someone to choose toothpaste, soap or shampoo for me. I have personal favorites, as I'm sure they do as well.

Candy is just sooooo over done.

I find it amazing that the polarization of opinions on this subject has not changed one bit since from when this thread started in 2010. At least we are a consistant group here at CC.

Good observation. But I guess it's just that there are those of us who are right, and still many that are wrong! :D

All the crew does not get time off in a port to go buy something they NEED so I will ask our steward if there's anything THEY want and I will pick it up for them.

Once on turn around day on a B2B I was standing on the street and several crew were waiting for a cab. I asked where they were going......to Walmart to buy laundry detergent, something they really needed, not candy, etc., etc.

It also hasn't been reported that anyone has given a gift INSTEAD of money. I think most likely anyone that gives a gift, gives it along of money. And I would strongly suspect that those are the very same people who are more generous with the amount of money that they tip.

I didn't mean to imply that anyone is only giving gifts. My point was the staff, while appreciative of gifts, have never said that they'd rather have the gift instead of the money it cost the cruiser. Between $20 and a t-shirt or $30, I don't think many would pick the former.

All the crew does not get time off in a port to go buy something they NEED so I will ask our steward if there's anything THEY want and I will pick it up for them.

That's a great idea! If a staff member has told you that there's something they need, that would make a wonderful gift!

I am of the opinion that anything other than cash is rather disingenuous. Sure, those that do it may "think" it's appreciated. But I think it's actually rather selfish. "Look at me! I'm unique and special! Instead of giving you cash, I brought you a trinket from the town I lived in!" "I want to stand out in your mind, so here's an iTunes gift card!".

Giving little gifts in no way is more appreciated by the staff than the cash equivalent (even if the jump up and down and pretend it is). But it stokes the ego of the giver.

wow...can't believe you think this...some people really just try to be kind just do another appreciation that the attendent gets to keep for themself....not to share I always give the amount and above for the tips....not meaning anything to stoke my own ego...

Hey it appears that the bulk of the people who regularly or who have, on occassion, give some little "gift" do it in ADDITION to a tip.

If a pax gets to know a staff member to the level where they can give them a gift, and that pax wants to do that -- who among the rest of us should care.

As in life in general, you get gifts -- some you like, some you do not like. Some are useful, some are not useful. Different strokes for different folks -- people seem to think that gift cards are the "perfect gift", but an unbelieveable percentage of gift cards that are purchased never get used or are only partially redeemed. Some people think "cash" is the only gift -- I am the person who generally gets the job of going through the accumulated papers of elderly loved ones who have passed away -- it is amazing how many fives, or tens or twenties I have pulled out of greeting cards that someone had felt obligated to send (sometimes as much as a decade ago). I admit that I am a horrible person to purchase a gift for -- my best friends, my closest family members all seem to strike out but that does not mean I do not appreciate their efforts.

A "gift" - some token - if given as a reflection of someone's appreciation should be accepted graciously. And even if it is not of use to you, you should treasure the spirit in which it is given. If your room steward is diabetic and you do not know this and give him chocolates, I hope he accepts it with a smile and then shares it with co-workers who will appreciate his generousity. A gift given above and beyond a tip that is expected is humanizing -- it is above and beyond the "hey-the-cruiseline-pays-crap-but-hopefully-this-partially-makes-up-for-it" tip for someone who may have made your life a little better. And in many cases a very warm personal face-to-face thank you is just as good -- and/or a very positive specific mention on a comment card or followup note to his/her supervisor.

I concede that a big part of my opposition to gifts of any sort is that I'm not a fan of that kind of interaction with my room steward. Nothing against them, but I fail to see why I should interact with them differently than I do with the housekeeping staff in land based resorts. It doesn't matter if I'm staying at a Hilton, a Ritz Carlton, or The Peninsula, I'll tip the staff generously. If I have any specific requests or needs, I'll let them know about them and then thank them for taking care of it.

I just don't understand why I'm supposed to have a different relationship on board. Does he or she really care what I did in Cozumel today? Do they really want to know what I thought of the comedy show?

I think the whole concept is a bit dated.

ABSOLUTELY could not have said it better myself. I always find it amazing the number of people that treat these servers like their servants act and like they are beneath them...we always have fun with our server, we give him a nickname, we clap when he comes to the table each night, we hug him on our last night...we treat him like a member of our group...they see that so little it does go a long way...

I agree with both of them. Just being nice goes a lot longer than you think. Just think: There is someone gives you a t-shirt, but is the meanest, rudest, worst to deal with person you've ever met. Then, another person comes in without a gift but is the kindest, sweetest, most fun person that you've served in a while. Which one would you choose?

Food for thought.

My dad makes beautiful wooden pens with gold inlays. I give those out to the head waiter, our waiter, cruise director and steward. Who couldn't use a beautiful pen? I do this in addition to tipping.

Now that is a gift that everyone can/would use. They sound "beautiful".

It turned so cold here this afternoon that I'd like to fly to Ft. Lauderdale and sit outside the terminal for 4 weeks waiting to board.

I like the idea. That'd be cool, I could meet you and your family before we board. I'll get onboard and throw a rope down for you guys :)

We had a snowstorm today, took 2 1/2 hours to get to work (work in downtown Cleveland). Can't wait to get into the sunshine.

Archived