Yikes! Almost $800 to fly to our cruise!

stargate fan

He is going MHT to FLL not BOS to FLL but even going from Manchester instead of Boston, I get flights for less than he is saying.

She. ;)

I checked all three airports. I spent over an hour hitting the back and enter buttons to compare the prices.

Taking into account travel time, gas, parking, tolls, etc., all three were quite comparable. Since DS will be taking care of the house while we are gone and offered to drive us to the airport, Manchester won.

Did you know that if your air rate goes down for the same flight you can get a credit? Yep, its true. If you find the lower fare you can get a credit that is good toward the purchase of a new flight, good for 1 year from the date of the credit.

I called SWA and they walked me right through it. :)

I don't advice calling today...they are swamped!!!! :eek:

I have always had luck getting the money back on my Credit card. As long as you stay on the same flight and nothing changes, call the long distance number (not the toll free one) and ask for the money to be returned to your card, they will do it. I have only received a no once, and I called back the next day and spoke to someone else and they did it for me. Once it drops give it a try and see what happens. The worst that could happen is they say no and you get a credit that you can use within a year of booking. I am not sure you know that you can also transfer the credit to someone else too. Perhaps if you have credit that you won't be using within the year, you can make a deal with a fellow cruiser or family member and sell it to them.

I hope this helps, I have never cruised before BUT I have booked with SWA for all my family and friends and know a bit about them :D

I checked Southwest this morning and one leg of the trip dropped quite a bit. Thanks to all of you with SWA experience, I called and was talked through the process of booking the less expensive leg. Since the flights were purchased less than 24 hours ago, I was able to get $88.00 credited back to my Visa. Woo hoo!!

Thanks so much!!

I checked Southwest this morning and one leg of the trip dropped quite a bit. Thanks to all of you with SWA experience, I called and was talked through the process of booking the less expensive leg. Since the flights were purchased less than 24 hours ago, I was able to get $88.00 credited back to my Visa. Woo hoo!!

Thanks so much!!

Wow! Great! I wasn't even aware of the 24 hour rule.

Gina

I always check flights first on kayak dot com and have good luck there--but they don't include SW on there. They let you check out multiple airports. We often find that SW is not the cheapest to Florida, even including the cost of paying for bags. I guess it just depends.

A great web site is Yapta.com. They track flights you're interested in and let you know when they decrease by sending you an e-mail. I'm tracking flights now for Feb. 2011.

Thanks. I just signed up. They do not track SWA, but it's good for other travel plans we will make in the future.

I know what you mean...I booked one leg of my upcoming cruise about 3 months ago as I wanted to get atleast one booked so I have been waiting for 3 months for the other half to open...I thought it would be cheaper than it was but turned out not so much...I booked it just because I know if it goes down I can get a credit...checked this morning and it is already $60 more per person higher...

We live right outside of Atlantic City and we fly Spirit quite a bit our of there but they were coming in at close to $800 WITHOUT baggage and seat assignments...that was ridiculous...plue they may be out of business by then...

We came in at $570 round trip for the 2 of us so I am happy with that...I think US air came in around the same but have to pay for bags with them...

Glad you got some money back and keep checking to see if you get anymore back...

You might also want to find out if anything is going on in FLL that might drive up the prices a bit...I was trying to figure out why Spirit was so high and I realized it was the same weekend as the boat show...which is a HUGE deal down there...same reason the hotel that I booked at $99 is now $369 I assume also...

The way I look at it you can sit around and wait to see if the prices go down but they can also go the other way and then you have to pay more...it is a risky game to play...

Thanks so much!!

Awesome...gotta love SWA!!!! You'll sleep better tonight!! ;)

I e-mailed DH as soon as I completed the transaction. He replied, "I see umbrella drinks."

I am very excited for the price drop and feel much better. I'll keep looking for more price drops, but if not, $680 is a price I can live with.

I will throw this suggestion out one more time. Is anyone checking Choice Air through RCI ???

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/conten...ravel_programs

I just went through the motions. $423.68 per person was the cheapest I could find. SWA is still a better deal for us, especially with the recent price reduction.

Thanks for the info.

I will throw this suggestion out one more time. Is anyone checking Choice Air through RCI ???

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/conten...ravel_programs

I tried this for our and the cheapest we could get was $404 a person and it had bad flight times too...I guess it is like everything else...sometimes it works, sometimes not so much...

Maybe, you gotta love them, it's been quite a while since they were the cheapest option on a flight I've checked. Also, even though they don't advertise it, most airlines will let you cancel within 24 hours.

I would find that to be a BARGAIN. We've never paid less than $1,000 and in fact thought we got a deal through RCCL to pay almost $1,200 to go from Toronto to Orlando for our cruise in March.

We have to book almost a year out to get these sorts of prices too. Wait too long and you'll be paying almost $800-900 PER PERSON to fly to Florida from here.

Cathy, I am originally from RI, live in Calif now, but met a couple from last Cruise and Roll Call, from Cumberland, and the upcoming cruise, we have a couple from Tiverton and Cumberland so looking forward to meeting them.

Where abouts in RI? Rick is from Cumberland (I'm from CT)!

• 1 month later...
Is that $800 per person? Or is it for 2 of you?

Keep watching prices. If it goes down, just go through the change process at their website and change the flight to the same flight at the lower price. They will credit you back the difference for future use. This DOES happen. I just got $11 credit for a flight I booked less than a month ago. One leg of the flight went down in price. If one goes down and one goes up, be sure to not change them both...they do allow a one direction change.

Gina

Gina,

I wanted to thank you again.

I checked our SWA flights (actually, I check every day, sometimes twice a day :eek:) and the leg going to FLL went down again. Now we have a $50 credit to use when we want to fly to visit our recently-relocated son. Woo hoo!

You got hosed. I just checked Ay Er Tran and they have flights for $104 each way from BOS to FLL on January 11.

We are not cruising in January, but I did check November rates. (approx. $720)

We prefer not to fly out of Boston because gas, tolls, and parking for eight days are quite expensive. (approximately $200)

We will have two checked per person, so baggage fees need to be taken into account. ($80)

We have received $138 in refund/credit from SWA so far. (Air Tran charges $75 per transaction; SWA charges $0.)

So, if I do my math correctly:

$720 + $200 + $80 = $1000

Our current tickets cost approx. $629, after the refund/credit.

Thanks anyway. ;)

I have found that with Southwest they do not always open a new schedule with their best fares and that they will lower them at a future point. It all depends on how the flights are selling. It is always a crap shoot. One year I found it cheaper to fly to San Juan on American than it was to FLL on Southwest. Some time later Southwest had a major price reduction. Of course if the flights are selling well the fares could just keep going up. You just never know. I don't think that $800 for two round trip tickets sounds too excessive. But depending on the week that you are flying I would not be surprised if they have some lower fares at a later date.

Sorry, didn't read the whole thread. The cancel/credit/rebook thing has been discussed.

$800 - gee that's what I'm paying R/T from ATL to Copenhagen. No sense at all in the airfares these days.

My thoughts exactly. With airfare so high these days you might

as well fly to Europe and cruise there.

Archived