A small greivance about the Norwegian Star

Pianoman6582

.... Or rather those doing the upkeep of the NCL website. Now, anyone who knows me, knows my opinion of the revamping of the NCL Star. In short, I think their "Gemification" of the Star is indicative of doing business without considering the product they're selling to their guest.

That being said, I was looking at the ever-updating NCL website. I have this webshot to offer... The location of Spinnaker is now listed as deck 7, but the description of the "proper" Spinnaker Lounge remains. Unless they've moved the bridge, you cannot look down onto the bridge from the new Spinnaker. I'm just saying... They keep changing the website. The least they could do is fix the description of the venue to match reality...

And I thank you

JWK: may have a touch of OCD......May? HAH

1556061767_Notspinaker.jpg.a482ad6940d065ac9265e42b794288f1.jpg

.... Or rather those doing the upkeep of the NCL website. Now, anyone who knows me, knows my opinion of the revamping of the NCL Star. In short, I think their "Gemification" of the Star is indicative of doing business without considering the product they're selling to their guest.

That being said, I was looking at the ever-updating NCL website. I have this webshot to offer... The location of Spinnaker is now listed as deck 7, but the description of the "proper" Spinnaker Lounge remains. Unless they've moved the bridge, you cannot look down onto the bridge from the new Spinnaker. I'm just saying... They keep changing the website. The least they could do is fix the description of the venue to match reality...

And I thank you

You've painted quite the interesting picture here...

From what I've read it doesn't seem like you are too pleased with what NCL has done to the Star. You even call the remodeling a "

Gemification" as if to say that the changes that they made were geared toward making the Star more like the Gem. Now that would be OK if you really liked the Gem, but as I said, you're putting somewhat of a negative spin on this "Gemification"...so obviously, you don't.

Or do you? :confused:

Looking over your signature, I see that out of the 16 cruises that you've been on, you've only sailed the Star ONCE...and that was BEFORE the renovations!

Is it really fair to make judgement on a project without seeing the results firsthand?

Then there's the Gem. You've been on the Gem, letsee....one, two, three...NINE TIMES!! Nine out of Sixteen...that's just over 56%! I would think that anyone willing to book the Gem that many times must really really really like her.

Or don't you?

the STAR* was our favorite ship....we had some of the BEST times on our sailings....4 cruises before the DRYDOCK changes....upset they changed our BELOVED charming BLUE LAGOON and the Spinnaker-amongst others- wasnt going to sail her again and REMEMBER her as she was, but a FANTASTIC deal came up to sail once again on our BELOVED STAR* on a Valentine cruise, so we couldnt pass up one more chance and see for ourselves-the changes!

the STAR* was our favorite ship....we had some of the BEST times on our sailings....4 cruises before the DRYDOCK changes....upset they changed our BELOVED charming BLUE LAGOON and the Spinnaker-amongst others- wasnt going to sail her again and REMEMBER her as she was, but a FANTASTIC deal came up to sail once again on our BELOVED STAR* on a Valentine cruise, so we couldnt pass up one more chance and see for ourselves-the changes!

I just had to comment.. as I am in that group of Star lovers as well. This last cruise (after dry dock) really showed me that what we loved about the Star this entire time was her wonderful crew, not the ship itself. I was torn about Blue Lagoon being moved as I thought it was a really neat place to sit and people watch, but I have to say I was very uncomfortable sitting there with the type of stools they had and felt cramped in the booths. I do give the new Blue Lagoon thumbs up for being so spacious now. Food is just as good - love those wings.. 8-).

I can't wait to hear back from you after your next cruise and see what your impressions of the changes are, one Star lover to another.

As much as I hate to admit it, I have even had a simular comment as the OP that it does seem like NCL was trying to make the Star into a "not quite so good" version of the Pearl.

Crew is still amazing though, and for us, that made it a great cruise.

I just had to comment.. as I am in that group of Star lovers as well. This last cruise (after dry dock) really showed me that what we loved about the Star this entire time was her wonderful crew, not the ship itself. I was torn about Blue Lagoon being moved as I thought it was a really neat place to sit and people watch,

I can't wait to hear back from you after your next cruise and see what your impressions of the changes are, one Star lover to another.

Crew is still amazing though, and for us, that made it a great cruise.

i always like sitting at the BL...i was always on the bench...not the stools

i guess cos it was different and not the same old PLACE to sit and grab a snack..and also the wait staff there-well specially on our dec cruise--there was a guy--do believe he was in charge he just knew what we wanted when we walked by and even made me a grilled cheese sandwich:)..when we were on the Jewel we did not care for the BL at all

it just didnt have the charm and really the food didnt seem as GOOD so i know it to just had to be the WHOLE EXPERIENCE...so that i can make a comparison with, and then on the Spirit it was similar like to the Star and we like its QUAINTNESS...guess we just didnt care for the BIGGER space on the JEWEL...but we definitely will see on our STAR cruise...

next is the SUN and there isnt a BLUE LAGOON but they say the Sports Bar serves pretty GOOD FOOD!!

on the STAR we enjoyed the crew we sailed with in December...HAMISH was so FUN and personalable as a CD-havent ENJOYED a CD as much as HAMISH---WOOOOOHOOO:)

We are also STAR lovers from past cruises and have been 'sad' to hear of the changes, but mostly to the Spinnaker and the game & card rooms.

While I didn't mind the location of the Blue Lagoon on the Star previously, I am glad it has moved to where it currently is. We were on the Pearl last fall and I liked the location of the Blue Lagoon there, and that is now the same as the Star, so that is a plus for me.

The placement of the BL previously made it WAY too easy to keep grabbing those cookies every time we walked through, which seemed to be quite often.:o

With the new location of the BL there is more seating which is nice. I am glad to know the food there is the same because we really love the fish and chips!

We'll be on the Star in September, so I'll be sure to report back how I do or do not like the changes they have made.

The one complaint we had about the Blue Lagoon on the Pearl was the service was very s-l-o-w. And that seemed to be the case no matter the time of day or night.

Hikini:D

• 4 weeks later...
You've painted quite the interesting picture here... From what I've read it doesn't seem like you are too pleased with what NCL has done to the Star. You even call the remodeling a "Gemification" as if to say that the changes that they made were geared toward making the Star more like the Gem. Now that would be OK if you really liked the Gem, but as I said, you're putting somewhat of a negative spin on this "Gemification"...so obviously, you don't.

Or do you? :confused:

Looking over your signature, I see that out of the 16 cruises that you've been on, you've only sailed the Star ONCE...and that was BEFORE the renovations!

Is it really fair to make judgement on a project without seeing the results firsthand?

Then there's the Gem. You've been on the Gem, letsee....one, two, three...NINE TIMES!! Nine out of Sixteen...that's just over 56%! I would think that anyone willing to book the Gem that many times must really really really like her.

.... Now, anyone who knows me, knows my opinion of the revamping of the NCL Star. In short, I think their "Gemification" of the Star is indicative of doing business without considering the product they're selling to their guest.

And I thank you

*cough, cough. ahem* Please allow uncle Jay to clarify his position. I apologize for the gap during which I'm sure you've all waited on baited breath for a return salvo :rolleyes:.... I offer my apologies to the re-OP (?) who questions whether or not I like the Gem. I apologize for not completely restating my opinion on the Gem. As (s?)he notes I've been on the Gem many more times than the Star. (Note, that I was on the Star TWICE not once.) There are many things I love about the Gem. There are certain things that I don't particularly care for on the Gem--like all the *God Blessed* purple! Now, in my original post, I declared that the changes to the Star represented a "Gemification" of the Star of which I implied disapproval. What I should've said was "Jewelificiation," as it seems the NCL is trying to make their two Libre (Dawn) Class ships, the Star and (pretty soon from what I've heard and read) the Dawn a little more like the Jewel class ships. Also, the one thing that was completely and totally unique to the Star was the SoHo Room restaurant which offered Live Lobster! Forget it; it's Gone.

*Deep Breath* All that being said, I do not necessarily have a problem with swapping the nightclub and shopping spaces. Indeed, a person could go the entire cruise without setting foot inside the shops on the current Dawn (former Star) layout. I get why that seems like a good idea from a money perspective. But why on Earth did they think it was a good idea to eliminate the Spinnaker Lounge on 12 forward and build 45 new cabins.

Perhaps it's because the pool deck, the Market Cafe and the Stardust Theatre aren't crowded enough? Oh dear, was that out loud?

Look, the Star leaves out of Seattle 5 months out of the year to go to Alaska. Seattle, the rainiest place in the galaxy should have a front viewing area for the more than half the time when it's too inclement for sailaway. Then in Alaska, when it's minus a thousand degrees, shouldn't there be in an indoor forward facing place where everyone can see the glacier up to which Captain Lars so skillfully navigates the ship?

All that aside, the original point of this was not to grumble once again about the Star's refit. My gripe, OCD-ish though it was and remains to be is that the description of the Spinnaker Lounge still claims to have horizontal windows that look down onto the Bridge!

For your perusal and observation is a webshot of the NCL web site that still has the first-noted incorrect description. I took that this morning and also a picture of the space. Unless they've seriously understated the new Spinnaker, it's a picture of the old one as well.... It's like Yankee Stadium... I'll accept the new one when the old one is gone....

And I thank you,

JWK: Website Correctness Police

1394020824_StarSpinnaker.jpg.3e1f4f6d775523905535a44d00f5e548.jpg

1313614918_StarSpinnaker2.jpg.c84a4ca960aee42f396c32308987c3c2.jpg

We haven't sailed the Star, but have sailed the Dawn. Is she next? Will Spinnaker be history on her as well? Tune in...

I did love Spinnaker and her big windows. On the other hand, I enjoy seeing different ships, so I'm kind of glad the Star will differ from the Dawn.

As for the Blue Lagoon, it was a fun place to people watch, but I think I'll like the new one better.

All that aside, the original point of this was not to grumble once again about the Star's refit. My gripe, OCD-ish though it was and remains to be is that the description of the Spinnaker Lounge still claims to have horizontal windows that look down onto the Bridge!

For your perusal and observation is a webshot of the NCL web site that still has the first-noted incorrect description. I took that this morning and also a picture of the space. Unless they've seriously understated the new Spinnaker, it's a picture of the old one as well.... It's like Yankee Stadium... I'll accept the new one when the old one is gone....

And I thank you,

JWK: Website Correctness Police

I see what you're saying PianoMan -- it's also one of my pet peeves, too. The website administrators need to get their act(s) together.

We're on the Star (again) next month - so I'll reserve my opinion of the changes until I see them for myself.

We haven't sailed the Star, but have sailed the Dawn. Is she next? Will Spinnaker be history on her as well? Tune in...

I did love Spinnaker and her big windows. On the other hand, I enjoy seeing different ships, so I'm kind of glad the Star will differ from the Dawn.

As for the Blue Lagoon, it was a fun place to people watch, but I think I'll like the new one better.

Sounds like the Star now more closely resembles the Jewel and Jade than her lovely old self that we so enjoyed in December on the same Panama Canal cruise that Starfish*4 was on. We loved the Star's old Blue Lagoon, too. But the Spinnaker and the movie theater are what I will miss the most. I know that the Sun will be drydocking in January. Sure hope they don't remove her forward Observation Lounge too! :eek:

Liked the Star very much....but no Spinnaker, no Star for me again. We just enjoy each evening up there too much.

And That is what I've been trying to tell anyone who will listen...

And I thank YoU:

JWK: Discrepancy Pointer-Outer and Problem Solver

• 1 year later...

I agree with OP, the description of the Spinnaker and picture does not match the real thing. His complaint is a website issue. While it is on deck 7, it does not have the windows.

I was on the Star after the redo and while I loved my cruise it does seem NCL made a mistake (as far as passengers go) when they moved the lounge to the back of the ship with no windows. A cruise to Alaska should have a lounge where cruisers can be inside and see the wonderful scenery. But the Star is being moved to New Orleans so NCL might know what they are doing.

I agree with OP, the description of the Spinnaker and picture does not match the real thing. His complaint is a website issue. While it is on deck 7, it does not have the windows.

I was on the Star after the redo and while I loved my cruise it does seem NCL made a mistake (as far as passengers go) when they moved the lounge to the back of the ship with no windows. A cruise to Alaska should have a lounge where cruisers can be inside and see the wonderful scenery. But the Star is being moved to New Orleans so NCL might know what they are doing.

New Orleans for a bit then on to Tampa......

And, to the OP, you are right, the web admin need to get their stuff together. Not so hard to get it right.

The same changes WERE made to the Dawn this summer. New Spinnaker, new suites, new Blue Lagoon, no card room, no movie theater.

I'm sure I'll love the Star since my first cruise on her will be post drydock. I don't care about card rooms and probably wouldn't have spent time in the lounge anyway. As for website incorrectness there are tons of companies that don't keep their sites up to date. It's a shame but not enough for me to get worked up about.

...and 2 more booked, one coming right up! :D

I didn't really mind any of the changes, especially since I was in one of the new DOS on deck 12! I prefer the new location of Blue Lagoon, I'm a big guy and the old location was just not comfortable.

For me the Star is still the Star and I love her!

Star extremists here. Our first cruise, to Alaska, we were in an inside cabin and the Spinnaker observation lounge was essential. Our fifth cruise, Panama passage, we had a porthole way down near the water line and sorely missed the observation lounge. All moot because there is no way our bucket list includes another voyage on Star.

I have to say the change to the Blue Lagoon is a vast improvement over the original location. Hated the original location, enough that we avoided going to the Blue Lagoon before it moved. The new location is much more comfortable and allows for better people watching and enjoying the music and such in the atrium.

Pianoman, have you tried emailing NCL with this information, especially the web admins? ncladmin@ncl.com It's quite possible that the web admins have no idea about this.

Pianoman's original post was made on June 15, 2010 - someone reopened an old thread. NCL's current website has the correct description of Spinnaker Lounge.

http://www2.ncl.com/cruise-ship/star/decks/2/7#tab_detail

Description:

A lounge featuring a full bar and dance floor.

Accommodates: 504

We'll be back on the Star in 3 weeks, third time on the Star. This will be our first cruise without a balcony but the size, pricing and perks of the "new" family suites made it impossible to pass up.

Pianoman's original post was made on June 15, 2010 - someone reopened an old thread. NCL's current website has the correct description of Spinnaker Lounge.

i was wondering that too...if anyone checked lately since this was back in 2010.

we were on the STAR in Feb 2011 our 5th sailing and we enjoyed much more our previous 4 sailings with OUR OLD BLUE LAGOON locale and it just was MORE UNIQUE and the Spinnaker locale with the Big windows up front was so much COOLER, but its okay now but the STAR has lost its CHARM for us and now she is just like all the others:(

we will miss her on the West Coast!!

i was wondering that too...if anyone checked lately since this was back in 2010.

we were on the STAR in Feb 2011 our 5th sailing and we enjoyed much more our previous 4 sailings with OUR OLD BLUE LAGOON locale and it just was MORE UNIQUE and the Spinnaker locale with the Big windows up front was so much COOLER, but its okay now but the STAR has lost its CHARM for us and now she is just like all the others:(

we will miss her on the West Coast!!

The resurrector (if you will) of this thread is a newcomer to cc.... I do know who it is, but I'm not sure if he's ready to go public.... In any event, I have sailed on the Star since writing this original post..... They have fixed the web site..they unfortunately have not fixed the Star. The new Spinaker Lounge is separated by structural columns that need to be there. Unless they fixed it, it's dark with no windows. The dance floor is too small. The bar is six miles away on the other side of the room.... It doesn't work nerlt as well as the bliss lounge on gem and pearl.... The good news is, from everything I've heard they have (sorta kinda maybe but not really) learned from their initial mistakes, because when they went to starify the Dawn, the new Spinnaker Lounge is better than the Star's with actual windows instead of fisheye mirrors... We'll just have to go find out for ourselves.....

And I thank You...

JWK: president of LMSA*

* Leave my Spinaker Alone

Archived