Room Service Quality?

Sailkeywest

Hi again, I am making this forum because Hubby and I have booked an SC suite for next year and intend to order a good deal of room service to just kick back and enjoy all the amazing views. We have less than a month away to book our flights, after that, everything is written in stone, so to speak :P

Yes, we will get out of the cabin, but I am thinking high tea one day, possibly lunch in the room the next, Glacier Bay day - more than likely most of the day (and most definitely for dinner).

What I would like to know is other's experiences with room service. Food cold? Have read that a good deal for breakfast, wouldn't want to order and entire meal and have it turn out cold.

Most importantly, who delivers the food, your room attendent? Do any of the delivery persons act annoyed when delivering room service? I ask this because this happened every time we ordered something on our last (and only cruise -- Carnival). We will tip for the service, I just don't want to be worried about such things on vacation. We are going to be on the very back of the boat, so this might pose a problem as well as far as cold food goes.

(P.S. I tried to do a thread search on this topic, but couldn't find a thread like this)

Thank you for any input, Safe Travels :)

I've ordered breakfast many, many times; always by using the hang tag. Breakfast has always arrived during the requested period, hot, as ordered, and delicious.

On my last cruise we came back too late for supper, so ordered off the basic room service menu. I just had onion soup; it was hot. My grandgirl had something more substantial, but I don't recall exactly what. I do remember that she was happy with her meal.

It's a room service steward who has delivered all the meals; never has been the room steward, but I live in the foul ball cabins (low & inside). It might be different in the high rent district.

The stewards who deliver the trays are unfailingly pleasant, usually with a smile. They are in and out so fast it's hard to transfer the tip to their hands before they are gone.

Just cruised on the Zaandam in late May, as always, we utilized room service daily. We absolutely love to sit on our balcony and eat breakfast and dinner. In three cruises, we have never experienced an unpleasant delivery of our food, and it has never been our room steward who delivered the food (S suite). This last cruise was perfect, delivered quickly, food was hot, and orders were always correct. We have had a few minor problems receiving extra items in the past for some odd reason, and at times it can take a bit longer for dinner to arrive (as opposed to the 30-minute time slot you choose to have your breakfast delivered).

I hope you have a great cruise!

Jill

I also ordered breakfast via the hanging tag many times on my recent cruise and utilized room service at random a couple times, too.

Service was always prompt, always friendly, and always by a room service steward, not our room steward. He was always in and out so fast that tipping was not possible, but we ended up increasing our per diem tip anyway (which apparently isn't common, as the front desk people seemed taken aback).

This was in an A class Verandah Suite.

The quick in and outs suggest to me that tips aren't expected, but we do tip. Our technique is to have the tip out (we put it by the TV), when room service knocks we grab the tip on the way to the door and hand it to the steward as soon as the tray is set down. We've only gotten breakfast room service. We have the tip out the night before as we know we won't be very awake in the morning.

The quick in and outs suggest to me that tips aren't expected, but we do tip. Our technique is to have the tip out (we put it by the TV), when room service knocks we grab the tip on the way to the door and hand it to the steward as soon as the tray is set down. We've only gotten breakfast room service. We have the tip out the night before as we know we won't be very awake in the morning.

I do the same. It's a narrow passageway in the room and they don't get out until they pass me, tip in hand.

DH has never been a fan of room service in hotels, but really gets into room service onboard ship. We've only had one order that was incorrect, and it was such a minor error I can't remember what it was. The cold food has always been cold, and the hot food hot.

If you order at a time when a LOT of people are returning to the ship after excursions and such, it can take 45 mins to an hour for delivery.

If you use the hang tag to order breakfast, make sure to specify EVERYTHING you want -- butter, jam, milk & sugar for coffee, milk for cereal -- otherwise you won't get it. :)

We to plan to make good use of room service our next cruise. Both my husband and I feel room service fare may even better than that served in the MDR.

Breakfasts, lunches ( lovely BLTs :))and dinners ordered from the MDR menu all arrived hot,well prepared and delicious.

Our first cruise we took a tour of the kitchens and I recall a special area of the kitchen facilities used specifically for room service .

Holland American staff aren't known for acting"annoyed" when doing their job:) You will find your food's arrival to be a quick and unobtrusive.event.

Enjoy your cruise and your delightful balcony

Hi again, I am making this forum because Hubby and I have booked an SC suite for next year and intend to order a good deal of room service to just kick back and enjoy all the amazing views.

Yes, we will get out of the cabin, but I am thinking high tea one day, possibly lunch in the room the next, Glacier Bay day - more than likely most of the day (and most definitely for dinner).

What I would like to know is other's experiences with room service. Food cold? Have read that a good deal for breakfast, wouldn't want to order and entire meal and have it turn out cold.

Having just returned from a fabulous Zuiderdam SC Suite (Alaska, starboard aft), I can tell you that every time we ordered room service it was correct and hot (or cold depending:)). It was delivered by a member of the wait staff and not either of our cabin stewards. We did order breakfast from the card a couple times and dinner once or twice.

Be prepared for a longer wait time in Glacier Bay. You are not the only one to think of viewing those glaciers from your balcony while tuning in the bow camera on your tv set.:) and if it's too chilly for you, you can stay in and see it all through those big glass doors and window.

I hope to have photos to upload soon.

One suggestion: Do not pass up the opportunity to eat breakfast at the Pinnacle Grill. That is a suite perk. The service is unmatched and the food is wonderful. I don't know where they get those currant rolls but they are to die for.

Enjoy your SC. I know you will.

We haven`t used room service for our meals in a long time but when we went Code Red on the `O` last Jan. I knew the Lido would or could become a madhouse. We ordered room service breakfasts and it was great. Delivery was prompt. Proper temps. for all items ordered and delivered with a smile. I think we`ll be enjoying room service in the future with or without Code Red conditions.

Rich

I get room service for breakfast each day of my cruise. I fill out the menu that hangs on the door and it typically arrives a little bit prior to the requested timeframe, or close to the earliest time requested. Off menu items have always been delivered with the regular menu items....love that about HAL. :) If I wanted extras of something, I will just note it on the card and got them. The one or two times something was missing, it was brought very quickly...that steward must have sprinted there and back.

Any other meals I've ordered have been delivered prior to the time I was quoted. On my last cruise, Zuiderdam to Alaska in May 2009, the room service phone attendant ("Newman") had a wonderful personality and he and I had a "special" relationship. ;) He would give me suggestions of what to order and they were always spot on.

All meals arrived at the proper temperature and were delivered by a smiling and personable steward. Of course, I always greeted them with a big smile and admired their tray balancing abilities as they squeezed through the doorway and past the bed to the table. A feat I could never accomplish....especally in rough seas. :eek:

I discovered how much I love room service the first time I ever had it....long long ago in a hotel. It's one of the perks that makes me feel like I'm really on vacation, and I use it a lot. HAL's ranks up there with any Four Seasons I've stayed in.

Room service was great for breakfast and late night snacks. On one morning I was very upset that room service hadn't arrived at the proper time and we were going to be leaving on a tour hungary. A very patient staff explained to me that we forgot to turn our clocks back to correspond a change in time zones. I was sooo embarrassed.

Marcia

Love HAL but I have to say room service was patchy. When it was good it was very, very good but when it was bad.... They are super busy in the mornings and supper time so order well in advance if possible. To be honest there were a few occasions when I didn't even bother room service and went to the Lido instead and loaded up a plate and went back to my balcony to eat it. Probably not the 'done thing' but at least I got what I wanted without any delays or incorrect orders.

We tried room service a few times for breakfast and once for lunch.

Breakfast -- everyone was a disaster -- cold food -- arrived very late. One time we even had the concierge calling to see where our breakfast was -- it was supposed to be delivered at 6:30 AM as we had to leave the ship at 8. After numerous calls we gave up and grabbed a quick snack in the Neptune Lounge.

Lunch -- again -- arrived 1 1/2 hours after we placed the call.

Also DH doesn't like leaning down to a low table to eat his meals.

Overall room service has always been pretty good.

We have ordered breakfast many times. It ususally arrived within the half hour that was marked on the card, a couple of times it arrived earlier. I guess the only complaint is they do miss things that were ordered. I don't recall it ever arriving cold.

Lunch has always been fine. The only compalint is at times it can be difficult trying to get someone to answer the phone to place an order.

We never ordered dinner from the dining room menu but have ordered soup and sandwiches. No complaints with this. :)

Some tips about room service. Make sure you do not have the DO NOT Disturb out. They won't knock if you have done that.

Have a good clear landing spot for the large tray.

Yes, do tip.

They will not unlock your door and bring in the tray. Those days are gone. You have to answer so don't run into the shower.

And a pet hate of mine. It is not HIGH tea. It is tea. High tea is in fact supper.

A couple things I don't think have been mentioned...

At dinner, you may order for room service any items on the regular main dining room menu, as long as you PLACE your order within half an hour of the dining room opening. It will then be DELIVERED at whatever time you specify.

Normally, all items of a multi-course dinner will arrive at once. However, I've arranged through the Neptune suite concierge for course-by-course serving on SC aft wrap balcony like yours. We did this an evening we were in port, to minimize wind/weather disturbance, and it's a glowing memory.

This is very labour intensive for the waiters - one shuttled food from the kitchen, another stayed with us through the meal on the balcony. We tipped very, very generously.

Room service on HAL is fantastic. We're not room service people - we rarely, if ever, order it - but our experience on the Westerdam a few months ago was great. Ordering via phone was a pleasure, the staff was very conscientious in asking what extras (juices, condiments, etc.) you'd like with the meal. Once they even forgot the mayo (I didn't even notice, but apparently they did) and they returned in 2min with a separate plate of it! Estimated delivery time was 15-20min, it always arrived in less than 10min. I also noticed how quickly the delivery person (not our cabin steward, always another crewmember) makes his exit, so be sure to have your trip ready before they make their escape.

Personal recommendation: try the triple decker club for lunch, and the chocolate chip cookies for a dessert - delicious!

we have done all aspects of room service and yes, we give a tip. have it out as recommended. Not required, but all the room service deliveries are presented with a glowing smile.

I don't know if it makes a difference to tip, but I have always found we were one of the first to be served. (ie. if we ask for breakfast at 7, it's there at 6:55). i only do room service for breakfast if we have a very early tour or when the pinnacle is closed (we do suites too). Breakfast in the Pinnacle is great. And for whatever reason, the eggs taste a lot better.

Have used room service for dinner (did the same thing, had it served course by course and it was incredible - a memory never to be forgotten) as well as regular dinner.

Have also ordered a sandwich (clubhouse) and smoked salmon and bagels.

All was good. Service is great which is why we book HAL. enjoy and enjoy the balcony!

There is something luxurious about being awoken by a knock at the door with a fresh pot of coffee and a danish.

While I do order coffee from room service every morning (no coffee maker in the room!), we don't order much else from room service. The Lido is open basically all the time, and with an all-you-can-eat smorgasboard right down the hall... I usually just go pick something up and bring it back to the room.

I don't generally tip room service.

The kiddo and I were self imposed room bound for 2 days with a head/chest cold on our Alaska cruise on the Zuiderdam so we were on room service breakfast, lunch, and dinner for those days. We were in an SC. We did breakfast most all days in cabin to enjoy on our balcony when we could, always very good and hot. Eggs Bene, omelets, waffles, fruit, danish.. you name it. Lunch is more limited but still good. Thinks sandwiches and salads. Dinner we were able to order from the MDR menu and did. Food was not super hot but not in anyway cold. I think it had more to do with our location (wake view cabin) and the amount of time to get to our cabin than anything. The steaks were cooked correctly and lobster tails were fine. Soup was very good and hot. We always tip a little. It is always much appreciated.

Go for it and enjoy!!:D

Wow, this thread has received more replies than I anticipated! Thanks to everyone for the input, you have given me a lot of really great info and varied opinions. Thanks for the 'tip' about keeping the 'tip' in hand before answerring the door, good info. I am really relieved to hear that ordering room service is not a bother for the staff, we are going to feel so pampered. :)

AZnative, I do hope that you are writing a TR, I can't wait to see the photos! Leaving GB at 4 pm, hmm. Maybe it wouldn't be too late to get over to the MDR or PG after all. I just thought dinner on the balcony as we are leaving GB would be a memorable evening.

No "do not disturb" sign, gottit. -And tea is tea, not supper ;) I thought a meal with your tea (sandwiches/desserts) was High Tea, thank you for the clarification.

Making a list, I didn't know that we could order before the dining room actually opens, that will come in very handy. Maybe a triple decker club and cookies :)

These forums are more valuable than any TA or guide book I have ever seen!

Ooh, steak and lobster on the veranda! *wanders off daydreaming*

P.S. Penny, that actually happened on the last cruise we went on, I couldn't fit into my formal night dress that fit me before we left!

Archived