any aft cabin cons?

lancet

I know this has been discussed in the past, but I can't remember what was said. Thank goodness memory improves with age!!

We always sail balcony around midship (we are almost at elite status). I also enjoy sitting in the stern area on cruises. So, I have booked an aft (stern) cabin, PS category, on the Star in 2012. However, never having sailed in this category, my wife is not too sure about this. She worries about smoke from exhaust system, lack of breezes and other unknowns. Its a 29 day cruise.

So I can either book a real short cruise aft cabin as a test, or rely on the great expertise of the cruise critic members. Any help would be appreciated. Again sorry for the redundancy of the post.

Lancet

The only drawback for some (we love the aft suites) is that if you should encounter rough weather, at times it can be a bit more active/rough aft. One reason we love it as we like to know we are actually on a ship and love the movement. :)

Also - if you're not a fan of walking it will be a bit of hike to the forward elevators. Not terrible - but especially to the theater....it was fun! Personally, we liked the exercise, but to some folks, that's a drawback.

A final con I think of is that the orientation is a little weird....your bed faces backwards and at first it gave me vertigo...but I quickly got used to it.

based on the suggestions of CC members...and It was not for us! But that is JUST us!!! Many, many CC members think these are the best cabins on the ship...and for them...that is reality! For us...I didn't like the fact that I could not see to the right or left of the "sailing area'>>>..I felt like I was in a "tunnel"...with no way to see anything except the sea at the back of the ship! So...because I love my CC fellows so much...I now don't book those cabins...so that the many, many CC members who love them have more access to them!!! As they say "To Each His Own!!! :p:D :):rolleyes: LuAnn

We just completed an Alaska cruise and had mini-suite E-721 which is pretty close to as far aft as one can get and we loved it. There were no foul odors from the ship, the views were great in all directions, and there were mostly pleasant breezes. We would love to have the same cabin for future cruises.

We think that aft facing cabins are the best on any ship. We have sailed in them on Princess and Royal Caribbean. We always seek them out. Don't feel that you get any more motion there than in other places except the front of the ship which really goes up and down.

Thanks all for the prompt responses. Exhaust odor doesnt seem to be a problem, and motion not any issue for us (my crazy wife loves the "bumpies" on flights--I'm a white knuckle flier). Think we will give a try.

By the way, on another topic, we will reach elite qualification (days) during the trip. Do they give you elite status at that moment and for the rest of the trip; or only for the next cruise? Anyone know?

Thanks again

Lancet

I did mini suite on Coral Dolphin deck (last cabin on starboard side). I can hear the engine running all the time and more vibrate when docking and sail away. I don't like it at all and will not get the aft cabin anymore. I don't know on the bigger ship than Carol would feel the vibration or not. This is just my experience on Coral Princess.

LS

In addition to the vibration there is also the noise. While the wake is pretty much white noise, you do have to raise the volume level of conversation a bit. Also, there is rarely any breeze. That may be good or bad depending on the climate.

Don't feel that you get any more motion there than in other places except the front of the ship which really goes up and down.

As much as the front goes up, the aft goes down.

As much as the front goes down, the aft goes up.

based on the suggestions of CC members...and It was not for us! But that is JUST us!!! Many, many CC members think these are the best cabins on the ship...and for them...that is reality! For us...I didn't like the fact that I could not see to the right or left of the "sailing area'>>>..I felt like I was in a "tunnel"...with no way to see anything except the sea at the back of the ship! So...because I love my CC fellows so much...I now don't book those cabins...so that the many, many CC members who love them have more access to them!!! As they say "To Each His Own!!! :p:D :):rolleyes: LuAnn

exactly what i would have written. i missed seeing where i was going, only seeing where i've been.

As much as the front goes up, the aft goes down.

As much as the front goes down, the aft goes up.

right again. definitely more movement than midship, but it lets you know you are on a ship.

I did mini suite on Coral Dolphin deck (last cabin on starboard side). I can hear the engine running all the time and more vibrate when docking and sail away. I don't like it at all and will not get the aft cabin anymore. I don't know on the bigger ship than Carol would feel the vibration or not. This is just my experience on Coral Princess.

LS

Did anyone else find this bothersome? Or consider not getting an aft again because of this vibration?

We have booked E737 on the Coral for our Panama Canal transit because we love aft cabins so much, but have never been on the Coral or the Island.

Snowbird

This is my concern. I have only cruised RCCL and book GS. I am looking at an aft Premium Suite and the Balcony does look like a tunnel.

I like to be able to see the ocean from anywhere in the cabin. Is this possible with these Aft cabins?

Thank you!

We just returned from a 9 day cruise on the Caribbean Princess. Had an aft suite for the first itme.

The balcony was lovely but I found it way too hot to sit out there most days - there didn't seem to be a breeze to be had. Of course it was a very hot and humid week...

There was a loud vibration when docking and leaving port - we didn't find this bothersome at all - just different. There was also more movement in this cabin - we ussually try and stay mid ship.

The seclusion of the cabin was very nice - not a lot of traffiic back there so it was pretty quiet. We were on the Emerald deck so we were right above Club Fusion but we never heard a sound from there.

We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise but I'm not sure we would get an aft cabin again. Maybe if we cruised earlier in the year it would be nicer out on the balcony.

I'm like you so I decided to do a test run by booking C753 for our 2 day cruise on Sapphire Princess in September. I'll let you know what I think after. I'm looking at booking a longer cruise and figure this will let me know if I'm an AFT person or not! Definitely excited to see what everyone is always raving about. In fact the thing I'm looking forward to most on this short cruise is the cabin!;)

We're going to experience our first aft-corner on the CB this year. We got lucky as one freed up that was previously taken. I'm excited, but at the same time I have my reservations about the vibration. On a couple nights last cruise on the CB the vibration in the main dining room was very noticible. Nothing that ruined my experience by any means, but noticable. I really hope the aft balconies are as big as the pics make them look. We really enjoy our time out there.

Did anyone else find this bothersome? Or consider not getting an aft again because of this vibration?

We have booked E737 on the Coral for our Panama Canal transit because we love aft cabins so much, but have never been on the Coral or the Island.

Snowbird

We've found that the aft cabins have a continuous jiggling motion that cabins forward of the aft elevators don't. It's not what I would call a vibration but something that my wife finds quite annoying although it didn't really bother me.

It's not for everyone.

Archived