Any way to add to the auto tip automatically

Cruise Arizona

I was wondering if there is any way on the Solstice Class ships to add additional tips for exceptional service to the on board account either through the in room account review system or by visiting the customer relations desk?

Or is the only way to do additional tipping to have cash and envelopes?

If you're talking about tipping more to individuals who provided more than "normal" service during your cruise, I'd guess you still have to do the envelope to the specific individual/s. That's the only way we do it. But again, it is to individuals.

I was wondering if there is any way on the Solstice Class ships to add additional tips for exceptional service to the on board account either through the in room account review system or by visiting the customer relations desk?

It depends on the ship. On Solstice we were able to fill in a form that would have altered our automatic tip.

I think you are referring to the gratuities that are automaticially deducted on a daily basis from your seapass account, and not the up front gratuities for Select Dining?

I read somewhere on this forum over the past year or so that you can stop the automatic daily deductions in its entirety, but you can't pick & chose which ones to stop or decrease -- it was all or nothing. But I also read that you can add to them individually (waiter/asst/stateroom attendant). I can't recall the thread I read it on. Probably one of those tipping threads. :)

This would certainly be convenient so you wouldn't have to fool around with a bunch of cash at the end of the cruise.

We will have traditional dining so the gratuity for our waiters and housekeeping is automatically added on a daily basis our on board account as the cruise goes by.

In the past when you had to fill out a form and opt into the auto tipping you could add additional amounts for specific assigned staff.

Last year we were on the Solstice and I surfed through the in room computer system to see if there was a way to add it. I Didn't see any thing so just figured the only way to add additional tips for exceptional above and beyond the call of duty service was cash and an envelope.

I was just wondering if I missed something, or if the cash in envelopes was the only way to do this.

We will have traditional dining so the gratuity for our waiters and housekeeping is automatically added on a daily basis our on board account as the cruise goes by.

In the past when you had to fill out a form and opt into the auto tipping you could add additional amounts for specific assigned staff.

Last year we were on the Solstice and I surfed through the in room computer system to see if there was a way to add it. I Didn't see any thing so just figured the only way to add additional tips for exceptional above and beyond the call of duty service was cash and an envelope.

I was just wondering if I missed something, or if the cash in envelopes was the only way to do this.

You can still go to the Guest Relations desk and have extra added for specific employees...we did it this past December on Equinox.

You can still add it to your seapass account at guest relations, but it has to be done by the cut-off date for making adjustments, which is usually several days before the end of the cruise.

The old "envelope" routine is no more, but of course you can slip a few extra dollars to whomever you wish, whenever you like.

You can still add it to your seapass account at guest relations, but it has to be done by the cut-off date for making adjustments, which is usually several days before the end of the cruise.

The old "envelope" routine is no more, but of course you can slip a few extra dollars to whomever you wish, whenever you like.

Several days before is when you have to get tips taken off. They'll add them on the last evening and they'll also still provide you with envelopes if you want them.

I don't know why you say that the old envelope routine is no more. It was alive and well on the two cruises I have been on this year. I simply went to guest relations and asked for some envelopes and stationery, as I like to write thank you notes to the people I give extra gratuities to.

I don't know why you say that the old envelope routine is no more....
I say it because they discontinued the old routine of distributing tip envelopes to passengers at the end of the cruise. In years past, it was routine for passengers to tip crew members by giving them envelopes containing cash on the last night of the cruise.

Today, the majority of passengers routinely do automatic tipping instead. If they wish to give extra money to someone, it is their choice as to when, how and where they do it.

If your choice is to continue handing out envelopes on the last night, certainly that is your right.

I say it because they discontinued the old routine of distributing tip envelopes to passengers at the end of the cruise. In years past, it was routine for passengers to tip crew members by giving them envelopes containing cash on the last night of the cruise.

Today, the majority of passengers routinely do automatic tipping instead. If they wish to give extra money to someone, it is their choice as to when, how and where they do it.

If your choice is to continue handing out envelopes on the last night, certainly that is your right.

Please note that I said I was handing out EXTRA gratuities in the envelopes. I would never stiff the staff by removing the auto tip. And yes, I have sailed when the envelopes were provided on your beds at night. But I didn't find it a hardship to get some at guest relations.

Archived