10:30a.m. flight from FLL

Murphey

Embarkation is midweek.....can we make it??/

All I can tell you is that we have made a 10:30 flight in the past out of FLL, with no problems at all. Just be one of the first off the ship and grab a cab to the airport. We have always gotten to the airport before 9:00 AM as long as the ship doesn't have any problems arriving on time.

Your chances are good IF:

1. The ship is not delayed for anything at all (our Ruby cruise was delayed by about 3 hrs. last March when they had trouble loading a tender at Princess Cays; can't tell you how many people missed their flights!)

2. You do self-disembarkation. Make sure you sign up for it onboard (usually on the second or third day of the cruise)

3. You plan to take a taxi to FLL.

4. You are literally one of the very first passengers in the walk-off group.

5. You walk directly to the taxi queue after going through Customs without dilly-dallying.

Embarkation is midweek.....can we make it??/
It depends on when you're disembarking, how many other ships are disembarking the same day and whether it's a prime vacation time in southern FL. I wouldn't chance it but then I don't like anxiety after a great cruise.

There are several variables that you're gambling on:

1. The ship will be cleared for disembarkation on time. I've been on several cruises that didn't start disembarkation until after 9am, even after 9:30am. It all depends and you have no control over this.

2. Whether there's a major event in the Miami/Ft. Lauderdale area (like NASCAR, Pro Bowl or SuperBowl) and/or it's a prime vacation time, i.e., between Thanksgiving and April. I've disembarked a cruise only to wait 30 minutes curbside (it would have been an hour and a half inside) and another 45+ minutes to get through Security. At least a couple of times, I barely made it to the gate for an 11:20am flight.

3. You plan on carrying your own luggage off in self-disembarkation. This means that you must be able to handle everything and still have a hand free on the escalator. They have security people monitoring the escalators who don't let people on who are overloaded. Otherwise, you have to wait for the elevator, which I've seen take 20 minutes or more.

4. That you're in the first self-disembarkation group. I've been on cruises that had two disembarkation groups, one about 30 minutes after the other and after several groups of passengers who didn't do self-disembarkation.

5. You have a passport and can get through Immigration quickly. If you have only a birth certificate and ID, it'll take you a lot longer. At some ports, you have to get into a non-passport line which moves very s l o w l y.

It's very possible for you to make a 10:30am flight and if you do book it, make sure you have Plan "B" in place. Make sure there are later flights with seats available. That's not always the case.

We were late getting off the Emerald in November due to Customs being slow. We had a late afternoon flight, so it did not bother us. When we had a morning flight in March, we made it in plenty of time. Our flight was a little after 11. We did self-disembarkation. I think that's the way to go from now on.

Your chances are good IF:

1. The ship is not delayed for anything at all (our Ruby cruise was delayed by about 3 hrs. last March when they had trouble loading a tender at Princess Cays; can't tell you how many people missed their flights!)

2. You do self-disembarkation. Make sure you sign up for it onboard (usually on the second or third day of the cruise)

3. You plan to take a taxi to FLL.

4. You are literally one of the very first passengers in the walk-off group.

5. You walk directly to the taxi queue after going through Customs without dilly-dallying.

We've taken innumerable cruises ending in Ft. L and we made an 8:59 flight out of FLL every time. Except for unforeseen problems, a 10:30 flight is a piece of cake

We've taken innumerable cruises ending in Ft. L and we made an 8:59 flight out of FLL every time. Except for unforeseen problems, a 10:30 flight is a piece of cake

Your piece of cake just gave me peace of mind! Thanks!!

Thanks for your comments!! I think we'll do it...beats sitting in the airport until 2!! I agree that the only hiccup could be if Princess would be late getting back....

I would not do it. When everything goes well it works but when it doesn't it's a problem including the ship arriving to port late or the passengers not showing up at the proper time to delay the clearance. If you miss the plane then the next one will likely be full.

Keith

Archived