Information Request Please December Caribbean

SeaBlu

Our family is considering sailing the Eclipse in December of 2011 during the first week of December in the Caribbean. Has anyone sailed Celebrity 'S' class during this week? We would be doing the Eastern Caribbean and we were wondering if the pools on the ship are warm enough and the beaches in St. Kitt and St. Maarten are warm enough for swimming. The six of us cover all age groups.

Our family is considering sailing the Eclipse in December of 2011 during the first week of December in the Caribbean. Has anyone sailed Celebrity 'S' class during this week? We would be doing the Eastern Caribbean and we were wondering if the pools on the ship are warm enough and the beaches in St. Kitt and St. Maarten are warm enough for swimming. The six of us cover all age groups.

I have sailed to the Caribbean many times in December and January.

The Caribbean is warm all year round. The beaches and the pools

are always busy when its a Caribbean cruise. Not sure how warm

you want the water to be but the pools and the beaches are always

full of people swimming.

I have sailed to the Caribbean many times in December and January.

The Caribbean is warm all year round. The beaches and the pools

are always busy when its a Caribbean cruise. Not sure how warm

you want the water to be but the pools and the beaches are always

full of people swimming.

ditto...:D

How warm you want the water to be in the Caribbean in December is relative to what you are used to. The Gulf temps in South Florida where I live will be around 68-72 that time of year. For those of us used to the 88-92 at present in the middle of summer, those December temps are a bit chilly, but for someone living in Michigan that is used to swimming in Lake Michigan where the water temp is 58 in the summer, they will feel like bath water. Every winter when I visit the beach, I chuckle when I see someone swimming in the Gulf and assume they are from Canada or the Northern U.S.

Since you are from Maryland, I must assume the water temps in the Caribbean and the ship's pools will be plenty warm for you.

How warm you want the water to be in the Caribbean in December is relative to what you are used to. The Gulf temps in South Florida where I live will be around 68-72 that time of year. For those of us used to the 88-92 at present in the middle of summer, those December temps are a bit chilly, but for someone living in Michigan that is used to swimming in Lake Michigan where the water temp is 58 in the summer, they will feel like bath water. Every winter when I visit the beach, I chuckle when I see someone swimming in the Gulf and assume they are from Canada or the Northern U.S.

Since you are from Maryland, I must assume the water temps in the Caribbean and the ship's pools will be plenty warm for you.

Everything is relative, we have relatives who incidentally live in Cape Coral who are from the north. I get a kick visiting them and watching them put sweatshirts on in mid 60degree temps in Florida which they never would have done when they lived up north.

To the OP, there is also an indoor pool on the S class ships....

I agree completely! After living here for 11 years, I moved to Las Vegas and then back to St. Louis, and had to get used to the cold weather again, something that you really never do after your blood thins out. My wife, from the Midwest, whom I met in Vegas, would laugh at me for putting on my winter coat if it got below 60. Now that she has spent a winter down here, she is beginning to understand.

Sailed eastern caribbean on solstice during second week in December in 2008. No worries about pool on ship or in the ports you asked about. Plenty warm in all the ports. Swam several times in pool on board and snorkled at one of the ports.

• 2 weeks later...

The average temperature in St. Lucia ranges from 70 degrees Fahrenheit to the upper 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Humidity on the island averages between 70 percent and 90 percent throughout the year. December through January are generally the coolest months with the temperatures being in the mid 70s to mid 80 degrees Fahrenheit. The summer months of June through August are the hottest in St. Lucia where temperatures in the mid to upper 90s Fahrenheit are not uncommon. Water temperature in St. Kitts in December is an average of 79 degrees.

For St. Maarten, December through May is considered the dry season, while June through November is considered the more humid season. However, rain showers or clear skies can occur at any time during the year. In general, rainstorms pass quickly and the sun shines on most days. Average air temperatures in coastal areas range from 22° to 30° C (72° to 86° F) and in inland areas, from 19° to 27° C (66° to 81° F). Naturally, travelers will find more rain and cooler temperatures in the rain forests and higher elevations. The warm coastal water temperatures stay between 20° and 23° C (68° and 74° F).

Have never met anyone who actually took a thermometer and checked the water temperature in the pools. Some people complain about temperatures too cool and some complain about temperatures too warm. Would suggest you contact the cruise line directly and request their policy for pool temperatures.

You have all age groups in your party. Usually elderly persons will be more sensitive to the water temperature.

Luckily you have about a year and a half to gather information and plan.

Archived