Hypothetically Speaking...Should Travel Insurance Be Purchased?

Every plan is different since it is private insurance. But my plan will cover medical evacuation and repatriation. Basically we're covered oversees, just the same as if we're traveling in America.

No. Very, very few normal U.S. health insurance plans cover this.

I think that most of us in the U.S. believe that travel insurance is fairly priced. If they were to sell travel insurance much cheaper, the insurance companies would lose money on the transaction! The only way for there to be lower costs for the same benefits would be if the government subsidized the insurance companies for offering cheap travel insurance, and then the money would be coming from our taxes. IMHO things are fine as is with the current travel insurance options here.

Gonzo70,

I would be very surprised if any UK insurance company had government subsidies to help reduce their travel insurance premiums.

In fact, unlike AIG in the US, the UK had no insurance company seeking government bailout during the 2008/9 financial meltdown. Lots of banks but no insurance companies.

As regards costs I just ran an 8 day trip through a comparison site for a 50 yr old (not me I should add), to cover worldwide travel, including US and Canada, with £10m medical expenses, £5k cancelation cover and £1.5k baggage cover. With a £75 per claim excess the premium was £17pp for a single trip, how does that stack up against your final comment?

I do have to admit that this premium will be increased by age and pre-existing medical conditions, but you can get a feel for our general level from this.

I am also not surprised with your comment about medi-vac and repatriation cover on normal US health poilcies, but I just wonder how many people think they are covered.

My final comment, I would never travel anywhere without insurance, just in case I need it.

For those who have had to collect, which insurance companies did you use? There are so many it's difficult to choose one. Our son and his wife are sailing out of the Gulf in August so they really need to purchase it.

I had a medical situation and had 3 visits to the ship's medical department. We had Travelex and they covered everything. Great service. However, watch out for periods of sign-up for pre-existing conditions. We always buy our insurance immediately after deposit on our cruise........That way we get pre-existing conditions. If you are on high blood pressure medication,etc......and you have a stroke or heart attack, they can say you had a pre-existing condition that is excluded from coverage if you did not purchase the insurance after deposit. Read all details on all policies. We use InsureMyTrip.com to compare packages. I hope this is helpful.

Being as we are predicted to have an active hurricane season and I am set to sail in August, which is usually a fairly active time for hurricanes / tropical storms in the Atlantic, what would happen if there was a hurricane or tropical storm in the Ft. Lauderdale area and the ship couldn't sail or we couldn't get to the ship? Would I need travel insurance in this case?

Thanks,

Rita

For us insurance is never a question. Better safe than sorry.

When I was in my 20's, 30's and 40's, I never even considered getting trip insurance. But then, my trips were usually camping or staying with friends occasionally. Now, they usually involve thousands of non-refundable dollars with DH to more exotic destinations.

When the Iceland volcano started erupting a few weeks before our $6,000 Baltic cruise in May, I immediately checked the CSA website (our insurance company) and found that it was a covered phenomenon. Although we didn't ultimately need to cash in on the insurance, we were relatively worry free before and during our trip, knowing that if the volcano started acting up again while we were abroad, our hotel, meal, etc. costs would be covered. I tell people that that was the best $327 I ever spent on travel! :D

Susan

• 3 weeks later...
Direct from Clark Howard finance show 6AM on HLN. Look up Insuremytrip.com. Never buy cruise lines or travel agents plans. Cost around 5.5-6%.

insuremytrip.com was a great suggestion. We got the Travelex insurance for our trip ... out of the gulf ... during hurricane season ... for only $58 TOTAL. Carnival wanted $50 per person to cover the cruise alone. Travelex is covering everything (hotel stay, flights, cruise) for about half the cost.

BTW - we're the ones that MartinsCruise was referencing above.

-derek

As regards costs I just ran an 8 day trip through a comparison site for a 50 yr old (not me I should add), to cover worldwide travel, including US and Canada, with £10m medical expenses, £5k cancelation cover and £1.5k baggage cover. With a £75 per claim excess the premium was £17pp for a single trip, how does that stack up against your final comment?

We typically spend about $500 - $600 for insurance coverage for our cruises for the 2 of us (one a little over 60 and one a little under) They are typically 10-14 days. We get very good coverage. Just part of the trip cost and worth it for peace of mind IMHO. We never buy from the cruise line.

For those who have had to collect, which insurance companies did you use? There are so many it's difficult to choose one. Our son and his wife are sailing out of the Gulf in August so they really need to purchase it.

We price several every time but keep going back to Travelguard.

At $75 dollars a pop for my wife and I, we would have to go on more than 10 cruises to be able to apply the saved money towards an entire cruise. Chances are very good that something could happen in that time to cause us to collect. I usually don't purchase extended warranties but travel insurance on a cruise from Travelguard is another matter entirely!!!

I always buy trip insurance and have usually been happy with most companies. There were 2 times that I had to cancel and both claims were quick and easy. Bought ins. from RCL or X. In June, I had the unfortunate experience of an accident in Turkey on a land tour. The Turkish doctor misdiagnosed my broken foot. The insurance sold by the tour company was Tripmate. Although I was able to speak to a rep while in Turkey, the paperwork process is horrible. I thought that I had purchased a primary med. insurance..no where in the policy or the tour literature did it state that it was a secondary pay. I now find that all travel insurance are secondary when it is medical claims. I also found that beside my usual deductible, my regular health insurance will pay my claims. Then after I file the claims and get the deductible rejected, I have to resubmit my claim to Tripmate to claim the rest. For the almost $900 that I paid, I am in a paperwork mess. Tripmate is very hard to work with...and the tour company is also not helping. Be careful when you buy insurance to understand all the details.

i

I thought that I had purchased a primary med. insurance..no where in the policy or the tour literature did it state that it was a secondary pay. I now find that all travel insurance are secondary when it is medical claims. I also found that beside my usual deductible, my regular health insurance will pay my claims.

Some of the higher end choices in plans have primary medical coverage but it usually costs more than the deductible on the lower ones. As long as I have pre-existing coverage and medi-vac, I'm happy. My medical insurance won't cover lost luggage, delay trip, etc. so that is another reason why I buy it rather than depend on my medical insurance for a catastrophic event. I had good luck with TruTravel insurance which is backed my Nationwide and very reasonable. My other choice of late has been Travel Guard silver plan.

On a recent cruise, I had to have ear wax removed while on the ship. I was surprised that Medicare paid $60 on it (total bill was $179) since the nearest land was the Canary Islands.

Tucker in Texas

I've been told that Medicare will not pay foreign claims. I am not in medicare yet. Oh yes, because my foot is broken not just bruised, the case has to be reopened and more paper work to come. I also learned that regardless of any insurance co. that claims to be primary, it is secondary by state laws. So, check your state's laws for medical benefits coordination. I have had baggage lost by airlines and also cruise lines...both were good at reimbursing me for the loss. What you really need is medivac insurance. If you need to be airlifted, the bills will be high. If the trip is expensive and you cannot self insure, buy cancellation from a third party. It also protects in case the tour co/cruise line/hotel goes bankrupt. Pay using a major credit card..that will also protect for default.

We always buy our insurance immediately after deposit on our cruise........That way we get pre-existing conditions. If you are on high blood pressure medication,etc......and you have a stroke or heart attack, they can say you had a pre-existing condition that is excluded from coverage if you did not purchase the insurance after deposit.

The exclusion for preexisting conditions will typically apply to conditions that first manifested *within* 60 days (or similar time period) before you purchased your trip insurance. For example, if someone was diagnosed with high blood pressure two years ago, and bought trip insurace today, the high blood pressure is not a preexisting condition. They can't look back forever into your health history. However, if you saw a doctor four weeks ago, and they changed the dosage for your high blood pressure medication, then that change is a preexisting condition since it falls within the 60 day window.

This point about preexisting conditions is often misunderstood by many people.

So in general, if you have not seen a doctor within the last 60 days, you *do not* have any preexisting conditions. But of course everyone should read their policy before they buy it.

Being as we are predicted to have an active hurricane season and I am set to sail in August, which is usually a fairly active time for hurricanes / tropical storms in the Atlantic, what would happen if there was a hurricane or tropical storm in the Ft. Lauderdale area and the ship couldn't sail or we couldn't get to the ship? Would I need travel insurance in this case?

Thanks,

Rita

I've never paid for trip insurance. But then, I've never had health insurance either until Medicare. My secret is to refuse to get sick. Besides, I've learned that 90% of the time, your body heals itself unless you muck it up with too many pills.

Yes, hurricane season is risky travel time. As you might have noticed on the roll call, I'll be on board on the 22nd with my daughter. As long as the ship sails out of the port, and doesn't return for seven days, I'll be happy, even it drops anchor in the Bermuda Triangle. If it doesn't leave the port, I believe the line will reimburse you because they've given you nothing for your money.

I suffered a bad fall in San Juan a few months ago, stayed in the RCCL cabin for seven out of ten days but my daughter and grandson had such a great time, I enjoyed it for them. If if had had insurance, I'd have not seen a doctor anyway because the "cure" might have been worse than the pain.

I'd think that Homeowner's insurance would cover the loss of personal stuff like computer, camera, luggage.

As far as missing the ship, arrive a day ahead of departure. I live in Florida three hours from Fort Lauderdale and I'm staying in a hotel on the 21st. It's simply easier in case there's heavy rain for two days.

If the "peace of mind" is worth it to you, perhaps you can find insurance on line.

Liz

I thought that I had purchased a primary med. insurance..no where in the policy or the tour literature did it state that it was a secondary pay. I now find that all travel insurance are secondary when it is medical claims. I also found that beside my usual deductible, my regular health insurance will pay my claims. Then after I file the claims and get the deductible rejected, I have to resubmit my claim to Tripmate to claim the rest. For the almost $900 that I paid, I am in a paperwork mess. Tripmate is very hard to work with...and the tour company is also not helping. Be careful when you buy insurance to understand all the details.

i

And that is exactly why some people choose to not buy trip insurance. They are already covered by their health provider. They would be paying for something that they would never be able to collect on. Yes, most trip insurance is secondary, but a few more expensive plans have primary medical coverage. Personally, I would rather deal with my health provider for medical claims.

It is interesting that some people with Medicare, or others who do not have health insurance outside the country insist on getting primary travel insurance. If your heath provider does not cover you, then yes that is an excellent reason to get travel insurance. But primary or secondary doesn't matter. If all you have is your travel insurance, then it is not primary or secondary, it is your *only* insurance.

The exclusion for preexisting conditions will typically apply to conditions that first manifested *within* 60 days (or similar time period) before you purchased your trip insurance. For example, if someone was diagnosed with high blood pressure two years ago, and bought trip insurace today, the high blood pressure is not a preexisting condition. They can't look back forever into your health history. However, if you saw a doctor four weeks ago, and they changed the dosage for your high blood pressure medication, then that change is a preexisting condition since it falls within the 60 day window.

This point about preexisting conditions is often misunderstood by many people.

So in general, if you have not seen a doctor within the last 60 days, you *do not* have any preexisting conditions. But of course everyone should read their policy before they buy it.

I book my cruises sometimes as much as a year out. As much as I hate to put out non-refundable insurance money, I still do it. Why? I might not have something pre-existing when I book the cruise but six months later and six months before I take the cruise, I have a heart attack or diagnosed with cancer or my mother, sibling, child has a pre-existing illness that raises it's ugly head so I'm stuck. Too late to get insurance to cover pre-existing.

I've seen some "look backs" as long as six months, by the way. I can account for my health but not the health of those "near and dear" that may cause me to have to abort my cruise or cancel.

I was really surprised, too, that Medicare paid for that claim. Since the insurance was secondary, I had to put in a claim and be turned down before I could collect on it. I probably should have put in a claim to BC/BS, my supplemental insurance carrier, to cover what Medicare didn't but didn't. TruTravel paid my claim within 10 days once I sent in a copy of the paperwork from Medicare.

Tucker in Texas

Out of curiosity, I just looked at my Blue Cross coverage...for air/water ambulance it says: Exclusions Ambulance - Air and water ambulance transportation, unless transported to an acute care hospital; transportation from a cruise ship which is outside of United States waters.

I'll gladly pay $100 for insurance for that scenario alone. :) I buy mine just before final payment is due.

Hi Tucker,

The point that I was trying to make is that many (most?) people believe preexisting conditions apply to *any* current condition that they might have. That is not true. If you have a condition that is under control, like high blood pressure by taking medications. Then that is not a preexisting condition, provided that your meds have not changed in the last 60 days.

But if you had an illness more than 60 days before, and it was not under control, and it required medical treatment within the last 60 days. Then it would be considered a preexisting condition. Something like cancer would probably fall into this category.

I don't know what the lookback period is for other policies, but I know that mine is 60 days. I also saw that preexisting conditions apply only to me and my traveling companion. It does not apply to family members who are not traveling with me.

I know everyone is different and everyone has different comfort levels. Most of the time I don't even get travel insurance.

And that is exactly why some people choose to not buy trip insurance. They are already covered by their health provider. They would be paying for something that they would never be able to collect on. Yes, most trip insurance is secondary, but a few more expensive plans have primary medical coverage. Personally, I would rather deal with my health provider for medical claims.

It is interesting that some people with Medicare, or others who do not have health insurance outside the country insist on getting primary travel insurance. If your heath provider does not cover you, then yes that is an excellent reason to get travel insurance. But primary or secondary doesn't matter. If all you have is your travel insurance, then it is not primary or secondary, it is your *only* insurance.

I don't think "many" are covered by their current providers. I know our Blue Cross does not cover us at all out of the country.

Hi Kitty,

"Many" people are already covered. At least many of the people who post on cruisecritic. A few years ago I started a cruisecritic poll check this:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1096185&highlight=

I know that I am covered out of the country, even for medical evacuation. I have no limitations or exclusions when out of the country. But the point is that people should check with their provider so they can make an informed decision about insurance. You're very smart to find out exactly what exclusions you have, but many do not.

I usually take time to shop and compare value, benefits, and costs. I also google to see if there are any complaints about the insurance. I was booking late and didn't do my homework. The tour company literature stated the medical benefits. No mention of "secondary" or "primary." I paid over $800 for the insurance. My claim is less than 1/4 of that amount. After talking to the insurance co., they plainly try to annoy you hoping that you will just go away. Wrong. I am retired and have lots of time to pursue this matter. I will collect all the required paperwork. I'm sure that my broken foot will be healed before I collect from Tripmate. Fortunately, my claim is not large. It won't be afinancial burden if I don't get paid. I will tell everyone that they should not buy from Tripmate. I know a lot of people. I once had a tour company sell me a tour that didn't visit many of the listed places in their brochure. I told enough people who then spread the word. The tour company isn't doing that tour anymore.

Archived