July 4th on the Sapphire

mklein

Anybody think they will do anything to celebrate? I'm sad I'm missing my usual fireworks and BBQ but the cruise will be so much more fun!

Can't believe I'm leaving in 4 days for my 1st cruise!

What :mad: My kids were a bit dissapointed as they always enjoy the more liberal washington and indian reservation sales. We had thought about picking up a few really "good ones" for shooting off aft, but wanted to not be offloaded at the next stop. It'll be some July 3rd shooting for us :D

Definitely no fireworks, but as posted above, the ship will be decorated.

What :mad: My kids were a bit dissapointed as they always enjoy the more liberal washington and indian reservation sales. We had thought about picking up a few really "good ones" for shooting off aft, but wanted to not be offloaded at the next stop. It'll be some July 3rd shooting for us :D

Good plan, I think being put off the ship would be a downer for sure.

Oh yeah... that would definitely be a bootable offense. And it completely violates the Passenger Contract. :)

Last year, they had one of the original copies of the Declaration of Independence board the (Princess) ships in Juneau the week of the 4th of July. That was pretty cool. It was a traveling exhibit. They decorated the atrium but nothing else was done.

The frustrating thing was that we were in Victoria on the 4th of July which I think was a Saturday last year. We were at the gardens and they do fireworks on Saturdays (which would have been cool to see fireworks on the 4th) but we had to leave the gardens before the fireworks started to get back to the ship way early before we sailed.

On another trip, we were in Ketchikan on the 4th of July and it was sort of a pain. There was a huge town parade in town which really didn't make it easy to see the town on my first trip there. Oh well. I did get a surprise when I was trying to find out what was going on on Creek Street as there was a huge scene there - it turned out it was rubber duck races in the Creek.

We were on the Crown last July 4th sailing the British Isles... this is the display they set up in the Piazza to celebrate the 4th.

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0686.jpg

We were also on the Crown around the British Isles last July 4, and Arny G, the singer and pianist in Crooners (who does all requests) had a set in which he began by having the audience sing the National Anthem and then he only took requests that had the names of US states in it (i.e. Yellow Rose of Texas, New York, New York, California Dreamin' - you get the picture). You are fortunate that Arny is the singer, pianist on the Sapphire this year over the July 4 cruise, so maybe he will do this again. It was fun. And, the interesting thing is that Arny is Canadian! Today is Canada Day. Last year on Canada Day, Arny handed out Canadian flags, and had one set in which he had us all sing "O Canada" and then he would only take requests if the original singer or the songwriter was Canadian (i.e. Celine Dion, Michael Buble, Ann Murray - you get the picture). Very clever, ususual, and alot of fun.

Stop in Crooners and see and listen to Arny.

Archived