Honest reviews of RSSC please

MisVic

My husband and I have just returned from a disappointing experience aboard the Royal Princess. The ship was old, which we don't mind, but not well maintained. We booked on her because of her small size and the wonderful ports of call around South America. We have previously enjoyed both Renaissance and Oceania Cruise lines but are getting a little tired of being nickle and dimed to death about every little thing. Extra for booking in the steak house, extra for sodas, extra for espresso, tips for crew, etc.

We have read both great and scathing reviews about RSSC. We are attracted to their trips because of the destinations, the small size of the ships, and the staterooms. We have gotten spoiled with lovely verandas and large rooms. We tend to spend a lot of seas days reading and otherwise enjoying our balconies.

I would appreciate up to date honest reviews about her ships, crew, and destinations.

Vicky

Hi, Vicky, and welcome aboard.

I have not seen a "scathing" review of Radisson's overall shipboard and cruise quality in a long time ---- and those I think were "Trolls". Criticism seen recently has centered around the cancelation of cruises due to the sale of the Diamond, This has been about the way the corporation handled this sale, rather than cruise quality. Admittedly, the handling of the Diamond's sale was not Radisson's finest hour. Canceled cruises resulted ---- and not bad cruises, which I think are worse.

As so many say, you really won't have a bad cruise with Radisson. You'll have a lowest category suite available that would take many upgrades to get on the lines you've cruised. You will not encounter lines or crowds. You can dine when and with whom you wish, and the dining room will not be crowded. Alternative dining venues do require a reservation, but not an extra charge.Tips are included in your fare, as are all soft drinks, in suite mini bar with two liters of selected liquor and constantly replinished soft drinks, bottled water, and mixer. All drinks (except for super premium brands) will be included with dinner. There will be plenty of cocktail parties where all drinks are also included. Now, Radisson is not open bar all the time. But the alcohol that IS included proves to be more than I want (or need), and if one wishes to buy a drink in the bar, the prices are more reasonable than most lines. And, generally speaking, Radisson has sufficiently lower fares than other true lux lines (Silversea, Seabourn) to allow for more than a few bar drinks at these reasonable prices, if you wish. Service is far better than on mass market lines. And even Radisson's older ships are kept in like new condition.

Here is a story others posting after me will probably repeat --- we had actually stopped cruising before we discovered Radisson for the very reasons you mention in your post. Since then, we've taken seven Radisson cruises in the past three years, and have a 14 day cruise booked for next September. If you are "burned out" by poor condition of cruise ships, and nickel and diming on them, Radisson will be the cure.

Hope this helps,

Richard:) :) :)

I was looking to book the Royal Princess to do the Amazon. But as a single cruiser I would have to pay 200% for RP balconys. Because the Mariner like the Voyager are all suite all balcony ships I could book the lowest CAT and the single sup was only 125%. In the end the prices were equal, it was the difference between the much older RP or the newer upscale Mariner and I picked the Mariner.

The Royal Princess is now sold and I thought that was coming after a couple reviews I read about the upkeep of the ship going down.

I can't imagine anybody having a bad time on Radisson. We've been on two of their ships, and heard lots about the others. We want to try them all.

The crew and staff are great, the food really good,the rooms very nice. I'm sure you will enjoy them. Oh, and your fellow travellers are also a really nice bunch.

Yes, and may I add this. I reviewed recent posts that are negative about Radisson, and all of them are concerning problems with cancelations of one kind or another. I'm not saying any of these are invalid in any way. Radisson MAY have goofed up in their head office for all I know. I never had this problem, and I am only discussing onboard experience. Here are two examples of cruising, Radisson style.

On a highly discounted Diamond cruise of the W. Caribbean in July '03, our itinerary was somewhat altered by an engine malfunction. The ship was very full, and the service (though better than on most lines) was not quite up to Radisson standards. No problem to me, in light of the fare paid. We were on the pool deck one night and Capt. Broomhall came up to us and asked us how the cruise was going for us. We said "fine." He said "I don't think it's going quite up to snuff. I'm going to get all guests a nice future cruise credit." The next day, we discovered all guests had a $500 future cruise credit.

On a Mariner cruise of Alaska in June, '02 we were in port in Skaggway along with a Princess ship. We booked the White Pass Railway as an excursion through Radisson. On that ride, the train goes up, turns around, and comes back on the same tracks. Thus, if you have a good view going up, all you have coming back is a view of the mountain 10 feet away --- and vice versa. Well, Radisson booked enough rail cars so that these were less than 1/2 full, so all could switch sides for the view. Princess' rail cars were jam packed. Radisson had complementary soft drinks and snacks. Princess did not. Not surprisingly, when we got back, all the Radisson guests were very happy about the excursion, and all the Princess guests were griping! To make matters more funny, I stepped up to Princess reboarding point by mistake and said "Oh, this is Princess." Apparently I mispronounced "Princess" as the guy there corrected me. And all I said was "wrong ship, thank heavens!" I think at that point ANY of the Princess passengers would have paid me twice the difference in fare (if there were any) to switch places with me. Problem is, I would not have accepted the offer!

Hope this helps,

My wife and I are about to go on our 4th RSSC cruise in the last two years. We both work and look forward to our relaxing experience on Radisson. We've also enjoyed Windstar.

For space, service, food, overall quality and price ----- you can't beat them.I do miss the free caviar, but who can complain at $25 an ounce?

Even though we wanted to be on the Voyager Black Sea trip in September '05 and this was taken out for corporate charter, and even though our Diamond trip Athens to Venice the end of August '05 was recently cancelled, we have been on the Paul Gauguin and the Mariner, and will still be looking to book Radisson in the future. There just seems to be a moment in life that after several cruises with a few thousand people, you just want to be in a more relaxed atmosphere and pay a bit more up front, and not have to think about the costs again.

We took our first RSSC cruise last fall on the Navigator for their fall foliage cruise from New York to Montreal. We enjoyed many plusses -- spacious cabins with a walk-in closet and separate bath and tub; wonderful passengers; interesting enrichment lecturers; dining any time with whomever we pleased.

We were a bit disappointed in the quality of the evening entertainment, which we found a bit amateurish, although enthusiastic. Certainly nothing like one would experience on a Crystal cruise.

The crew was cordial and helpful, although we seldom saw the captain - even at the captain's welcoming cocktail party!

The food was well presented and higher in quality than would would expect on a mass-market line.

So -- we'll be embarking on our second RSSC cruise in April - the 9-day Mariner from Fort Lauderdale to the Bahamas, Charleston, Savannah, and Cape Canaveral.

Judging from the many glowing comments from othe RSSC devotees, perhaps our expectations were a bit higher than reality, or we were spoiled by our experience on the Crystal Harmony.

Hope this helps.

Mike

We have cruised on two Mariners and two Voyagers and have thoroughly enjoyed every one from all aspects. Never a complaint. The suites, the food, the service, the great passengers, everything first class. Book a cruise and you will be hooked !!

We had some gripes on a recent Diamond cruise in 2004 and were royally treated when we took the matters to the attention of the concierge and the hotel manager, Fabrizio. He gave us gifts and a meal at his table with better wine, that would have attracted a charge that night, albeit the wines offered are of a good grade and some what I buy at home in the UK. We then - within the month - took our second cruise with Radisson on the Mariner through the Panama Canal and whilst we had some problems that could not be addressed on board have reached a very favourable position with Radisson that means we are now booked to cruise with the Voyager from Rome to Barcelona in May 2005. I do not feel it right to go into detail about our gripes but suffice to say the outcome far and away outweighs the problems we had. As Fabrizio said, 'if we are not told it is wrong, how can we put it right'.

We have never had a bad experience on RSSC. Of course we haven't sailed them yet. How is that for honesty??? LOL

We have read all the same posts and we were booked on one of the cancelled Diamond cruises this year, but they did go over and beyond to make it right for us and we are sailing on the Voyager at the end of the year, with a mighty nice discount I might add because of the cancelled cruise, so we are looking forward to trying it out.

vicky, we did our first cruise on the Navigator in December--what

Richard, Wendy, Neviboy and others say is spot on...we loved it (balcony,

free flowing wine with dinner, wine tasting classes, lectures, dancing--great ports

& RSSC sponsored exursions) We are doing 14 days on the Paul Gauguin

next month..then either RSSC in Alaska or Asia in 2006....we're hooked...r/wes

02/15/2005 will be our 3rd cruise on Radisson.

So far I do not have any complaints.

It is so nice to not have to stand in long lines, be $5 & $10 dollared to death for all the extras.

IF I HAD a negative (and I don't), would be the entertainment can be a little weak.

I have cruised with Dolebludger and would 2nd his comments.

03/22/80 Commodore MS Caribe

02/15/03 RSSC Paul Gauguin

02/22/04 Norwegian Dream (ick!)

11/12/04 RSSC Mariner "MINT"

02/15/05 RSSC Diamond "ADRIFT"

09/06/06 RSSC Mariner "MUSH" (maybe)

We'll be first time cruisers-- Voyager in Baltics in July. I'm still kind of worried about the "formality" of the ship (the attention to what people are wearing), but mainly I'm concerned that we'll find the sofa and chairs in the cabin very uncomfortable. Photos make them look so stiff-- more for "looks" rather than comfort. They absolutely do not look like "snuggling down to read" seats. I'll be pleased if experienced Voyager cruisers can put my mind to rest on this score.

Also: I so wish I could get great recommendations for really quiet hotels in Copenhagen and Stockholm. Nice views, spacious rooms, good location; but mainly-- quiet.

Thanks!

Poss:

The sofas and chairs in Radisson suites are not particularly comfortable --- not too bad, but not good either. However, I have never found suite or cabin furniture on any line to be particularly comfortable, either. I have never booked an "owners' suite or anything like that on any line, and I'm just talking about Radisson's basic size suites here. And among the lines we've cruised, Radisson's suite furniture is the best. Sort of like being no. 1 in a sorry lot!!

Radisson is not a particularly formal or "stuffy" line. On your cruise, you will probably encounter one or two formal nights per week. About as many men will wear dark suits as wear tuxes. You'll have a few casual nights where jactets are not required for men. And you'll have a few informal nights where men can just add a jacket to their casual wear, with tie being optional. In fact, Radisson is not as formal or "stuffy" as some mass market lines we've taken! It helps us with our packing that the Voyager (and Mariner and Navigator) have a good number of free self service laundries, which usually will not be crowded unless the ship is full and on a segment of a world cruise or the like. We can pack fewer garments that don't require ironing, because it is easy to simply use these facilities. Excellent irons and boards are also provided.

Hope this helps,

well after 57 ships, I must say this is my line of choice. The only weak spot is the entertainment......but that is not important to me. Service is, and I have no complaints in that deaprtment. As a single passenger, I have been looked after very well, and unlike other lines never treated like another number. No crowds, no lines....and a crew that does not seem to know the word no.

I have sailed the Naviagtor in 2002, the Voyager in 2003, the PG in 2004 and was booked on the Diamond for Sept 2005. But with the cancellation, I have switched over to the Voyager for Dec 2005. This is the first time I will have ever sailed a ship more than once.......my record being broken. But the Voyage is wonderful...although I wish they had a Stars bar like on the Navigator.....I know I will have a first class experience....

RSSC.....for my money (and I work for it)....its the best, and I feel I get more than what I pay for.

I thought Voyager's sofa was far more comfortable than Mariner's. DH and I spend a lot of time in our cabin/on our balcony with books; I had no problem on the sofa on Voyager, but avoided it on Mariner (the chairs were more comfortable than the sofa). Mariner is our favorite ship, so I keep hoping the sofas will wear out and have to be replaced in my lifetime.

I have come to this thread a half dozen times since the original post; I can't seem to put into words the exact feelings I get from RSSC. It's just a happy feeling.

I have to agree that the sofas on Navigator, Mariner, and Voyager are not 'fall in' comfy. However when we took our trip from SF to Lima on the Mariner I brought an old comfy couch pillow with me to leave behind. It worked well to snuggle up against.

That being said, when we were on the Voyager last April (along with Neviboy and Dolebluger, both of which are great traveling companions) we took my aunt who used the sofa bed. It was most comfortable, I was very much surprised and of course relieved. My aunt can always find something to complain about, but also to my surprise, not a peep out of her on this trip. She loved everything.

Hope this helps in your decision.

Mary Ellen

The question of entertainment on Radisson is a very subjective one to answer. I'm surely not a qualified "reviewer" of such live shows. For me, the second best entertainment we have ever had on a ship was actually on the old Norway operated by NCL --- until she blew up! We booked her for the sole reason that we wanted to see what an Ocean liner was like before they slipped into history, and we aren't really attracted to Cunard (QE2, QM2, and all). The cruise was very inexpensive. The entertainment was large scale, and had dancing that incorporated gymnastics. But as to overall cruise experience, not even in the same league as Radisson.

The best entertainment we have had on a ship (IMO) was on Radisson's Paul Gauguin. It was appropriately mostly French Ploynesian dancing and songs, as we were in French Polynesia. It was fairly small scale, but then so is French Polynesia!

Radisson has also been working to improve its lecture program, and is "right on Crystal's rear bumper on this" according to cruisers who take both lines. Actually, lectures are more important to many (including me) than show entertainment. In this area, Radisson has become very strong.

Thanks,

Re lecturers on RSSC. We were on a 10-day Navigator cruise last fall, and there were two lecturers. The first was the last airline captain to fly the Concorde, and as a high-time pilot I loved his three presentations. Attendance, however, was rather sparse, perhaps because the subject didn't appeal to a broad spectrum of passengers. The second was an expert on expensive jewelry - interesting, but again-sparsely attended. At least my DW didn't see fit to "sample" the incredibly expensive jewelry he lectured on;).

We would have loved to hear an experienced lecturer talk about our ports of call (Maine, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Quebec City, St. Lawrence Seaway, Montreal), but that wasn't available.

On a slightly different note, we had also hoped that the cuisine on board would have featured more Northeastern seafood (e.g., Prince Edward Island mussels, lobsters, clams, etc); unfortunately, however, they only served lobster (most with only one claw!!) on one night. We wrote this item up and submitted it, so perhaps more consideration will be given it in the future.

Mike

Cruisers are such a helpful lot. Thank you so much for all of the wonderful information you're passing along. The entertainment venues don't really concern me as after only 5 cruises, I've only been to one show. DH andIlike to come in from from an eventful day of sightseeing, have a cocktail in our stateroom, enjoy the view,take a nice snooze, and dine late. I like little video poker while Scott plays some blackjack.

Just now, the only firm plans we have are with our best friends in June 2006 when we're doing Tauck Tours Treasures of the Aegean - a week on land and a week on the Wind Spirit. Tauck is great if you like all inclusive. We did Treasures of the Med. with them a couple years back for our 20th anniversary. Again, it was a week on land and a week on board a much smaller than Wind Spirit ship, Le Ponant. Best trip we've ever taken.

We're also heading off to Asia sometime this spring. We're building a plant in China and will be having a ribbon cutting ceremony. I've never been so we're mixing a little business with pleasure, Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Thailand.

Vicky

Thanks so very much to all responders! I'm feeling more interested in this first cruise of ours all the time. And I do hope that folks will make suggestions about pre and post cruise hotels for our July Baltic adventure: Copenhagen and Stockholm. I'd also love to hear which particular land excursions from the Voyager Baltic cruise people have enjoyed or not enjoyed. All this will be terra incognito for us!

Here is what we did for our wonderful Voyager Baltics cruise last July.

Stockholm - Pre cruise - Hilton Slussen. It was within walking distance to the Old City center. Stayed on executive level - great view and nice amenities. The room was rather small but it was fine. Toured on our own. Purchased a museum pass and used public transportation. Loved this city!

Copenhagen - Post cruise - Marriott (used points & stayed at exec level). Lg room, great views of the city. Within walking distance to the city center. Took the hop on/hop off bus. (Some traveling companions stayed at a quaint boutique hotel - no air conditioning and very small. So check it out)

Our only ship excursion was to Moscow. Highly recommend it!!!!! One of the highlights of our trip.

St. Petersburg - Used Red October for 2 days. Toured with a couple we met on these boards. Elena was our guide (law student) she was fabulous.

Helsinki - we did it on our own (hop on/hop off bus)

Tallin - on our own - walked though this lovely medieval town and relaxed. (This was after 3 intensive days in Russia!)

Visby was not on the itinerary - we had a sea day.

You will enjoy the Radisson experience. We are hooked!

Have fun planning!

Miriam

Archived