St Thomas / St John Princess Cruise Line Excursion?

csaeroach

We are in St Thomas on the Sept 5th sailing of the Emerald Princess, and would love to go to St Johns, as we have never been there, and have been to St Thomas about 5 times in the past.

Just wondering what people thought of the St John's 4.5 hour Island Tour which Princess offers?

There is also a St Johns Trunk Bay sail and snorkel which we are trying to decide which would be the better excursion to take - tour is also 4.5 hours.

Any help from anyone who has already taken these excursions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

We did the island tour last year. It is a way to see the island but you don't actually get to go to a beach at all. You just see them from the open-air taxi. If your main interest is to see the island, this is probably a good way to do it. That being said, I probably wouldn't do it again since it is such a quick over-view. It was one of those get on the bus, get off the bus, take a quick picture, get back on the bus, repeat, kind of thing.

We took the St John Island tour last year and liked it very much. We did it to see the island, not to go swimming on a beach which as pointed out above is not part of the tour.

Third picture shows the vehicle used for the tour.

1974156421_101_8775TrunkBaywithoneoftoptenbeaches.jpg.b3a60b7c60f260a0d10f2664e41337a5.jpg

1984415186_101_8813StoreatoverlookforCoralBay.jpg.ebb890e1ae66eedd29664f4f7fc3eba2.jpg

93509912_101_875612_24.09TaxisusedforSt.Johnislandtour.jpg.61f90a4d15f0dd97493250e5220c6485.jpg

My favorite excursion of all time was the Champagne Catamaran Sail and Snorkel. It may be called something else now but that was the name last summer. It was a half day...catamaran over to Honeymoon Beach, St. John, which I believe is just one cove over from Trunk Bay or very close.

At that point close to the beach you could snorkel, swim, play on the beach or stay on the catamaran. On the way back Painkillers, beer, champagne, and other cocktails were included as well as a cheese and cracker tray, fresh fruit and other snacks. The crew was awesome!

An open air bus brought you back to the ship but it did stop in town for those that wanted to get off and shop a bit. Our only regret was that we didn't book the full day excursion. It was a wonderful day for our family.

I did Princess' Island tour in March on the Emerald. I had been to St Thomas 3x before but not to St John. You take a ferry (for Princess passengers) over about 30-45 mins. You walk to get the ferry at the pier. You take a open air bus once at St John. You drive around the island and stop to look down at a beach, drive alittle more stop look down at a beach, drive alittle more stop look down at a beach (you get the idea). We stopped at a small place where they sold hand made jewellery, drinks no bathroom for about 10-15 mins. At the end, back at the ferry, you had about 1/2 hour on your own. I enjoyed it but would not do it again.

The rest of my family party, took the ferry over on their own, went by taxi to the beach. They said the beach was wonderful. On your own, you needed to get taxi from port to ferry, ferry (you have to time it so you don't miss the ferry),taxi to beach and then in reverse. It was not worth all the hassle better to stay in St Thomas and spend the time at the beach. Princess has the same excursion (you are on the same ferry I went on) but you only have about 1-1 1/2 hours at the beach. If the Emerald had a longer stay in St Thomas, it would be worth it.

My favorite excursion of all time was the Champagne Catamaran Sail and Snorkel. It may be called something else now but that was the name last summer. It was a half day...catamaran over to Honeymoon Beach, St. John, which I believe is just one cove over from Trunk Bay or very close.

At that point close to the beach you could snorkel, swim, play on the beach or stay on the catamaran. On the way back Painkillers, beer, champagne, and other cocktails were included as well as a cheese and cracker tray, fresh fruit and other snacks. The crew was awesome!

An open air bus brought you back to the ship but it did stop in town for those that wanted to get off and shop a bit. Our only regret was that we didn't book the full day excursion. It was a wonderful day for our family.

We loved this excursion too, nice beach. Fun crew, especially on way back when the party starts. No alcohol on way to beach for obvious reasons, drunk snorkling :eek: is not a good idea. First time I have ever referred to the Captain as cute. She ran a tight ship! :D Her crewmembers were two guys who went on vacation to the VI and never went home.

Just wondering what people thought of the St John's 4.5 hour Island Tour which Princess offers?

There is also a St Johns Trunk Bay sail and snorkel which we are trying to decide which would be the better excursion to take - tour is also 4.5 hours.

-------------------------------------------------------------

CSAERoach,

DW and I did St. John Trunk Bay snorkel last week. Excursion time is the same because they both take the same ferry boat from crown dock to Cruz Bay on St. John. Beatiful boat ride by the way. From Cruz Bay open air buses take you on an island tour or to Trunk Bay etc. We loved snorkeling at Trunk Bay, very healthy coral reef area and beutiful water. We talked to people who did the Island Tour who said they liked it also but felt it was too hot that day and would have preferred snorkeling after the fact. It is important to pay attention to time because of ferry schedule and bus drivers will leave without if you do not arrive back to the bus on time.

We loved this excursion too, nice beach. Fun crew, especially on way back when the party starts. No alcohol on way to beach for obvious reasons, drunk snorkling :eek: is not a good idea. First time I have ever referred to the Captain as cute. She ran a tight ship! :D Her crewmembers were two guys who went on vacation to the VI and never went home.

Yes! That's the same crew! She made some awesome rum punch too, huh?

We still talk about how quiet and low key the ride over to the other pier was at 8am in the morning....then on the way back people were laughing, singing and doing the wave!! It was a great day and next time we'll do the full day.

Do you remember how much this excursion was? (Champagne catamaran) I can't find out by going to the website. Definitely interested in this for Oct. cruise.

Do you remember how much this excursion was? (Champagne catamaran) I can't find out by going to the website. Definitely interested in this for Oct. cruise.

I don't think the prices show up unless you log in to your Cruise Personalizer and select Shore Excursions for your particular itinerary. I did dig out our bill from last summer and it looks like it was $89 per person. It was absolutley worth it.

I did find it just now on the Princess website (just go to Learn About Our Cruises and then Shore Excursions) as the "St. John Half Day Champagne Cruise" but I noticed there is a new one above it called "Castaway Girl Catamaran & Sail". By the description of that one I'm wondering if the girl on our crew that made the fabulous Painkillers has gone off on her own now? Hmmm. Maybe that's why the other poster said she was Captain now...

Ours was definately the St. John Half Day Champagne Cruise and we did go to Honeymoon Beach.

Either one will be a fantastic trip! Have fun!

St. John Half Day Champagne Cruise is listed right now on cruise personalizer for $99 per person

St. John Half Day Champagne Cruise

Take an exclusive cruise on a sailing catamaran and enjoy some fun in the sun on enchanted St. John.

After a safari bus transfer step aboard the catamaran for your sail to the lovely, palm-fringed beaches of St. John, safeguarded by the National Park Service. Meet your friendly crew at the dock and then cruise along St.Thomas' eastern shore before the brisk sail across Pillsbury Sound. Anchor at a special mooring off either Honeymoon Beach or Christmas Beach and then enjoy approximately 90 minutes to swim, snorkel, beachcomb, or just relax under the swaying palms. Freshly baked breads, cheeses, fruit, and non-alcoholic beverages are served onboard, complimentary champagne and other alcoholic beverages are available after snorkeling. Snorkeling equipment including snorkel vest, professional instruction, and supervision are provided.

SPECIAL NOTES

Alcoholic beverages are served after snorkeling. Participants must be at least 21 years old to consume alcohol. An alternate beach site may be used due to sea and weather conditions. Participants must be able to navigate a six-step ladder through a hatchway to access the restroom onboard. There are several steps required to enter and exit the water.This tour is not available on all voyages. Please consult your Cruise Personalizer for availability.

Note: For Summer 2010 this tour is titled "St. John Half Day Champagne Catamaran."

Depart: 08:30AM

Return: 01:00PM

If you want an incredible sail...it is not a Princess excursion...do a private full day sail with Rumbara. We did this with friends who had done the Princess champagne day sail.

1-They took us to Christmas cove.....no one else was there. 2 different areas.

2-they kept us entertained

3-they waited on us hand and foot.....I felt like royalty!

4-each yacht takes up to 6 people

5-child friendly

6-EXTREMELY AWARE OF THE END TIME TO GET BACK TO THE SHIP

7-For the 6 of us it was $700 paying cash.

8-FOOD....amazing. We had homemade banana bread to start. Drinks (juices, bloody marys, painkillers, beers, rum runners, pop) available through out the sail with no limit. After the first site, we had lunch. It started with appetizers of a mango based dip with pita chips, carrots, celery, a spicy grilled but cold shrimp and dip. The main course you pick ahead of time between tuna, filet mignon or chicken. They grill it right on the back of the ship. The kids had the chicken. DH and myself had the filet.....it was the best steak, beef we had during the entire cruise. The other two adults had the tuna. They said it was the best that they had EVER had. There was also a pasta salad and bread with the entree.

This was absolutely, top to bottom the best excursion in 7 cruises that we have ever taken.

We did the St John's tour in February on our own. We took the taxi to Red Hook, crossed over on the ferry and got a taxi who took us where we wanted to go and stopped when we wanted to stop. I all was very easy and cost half what Princess wanted. Plus we were in a very small group (6) on the taxi tour and not like a herd of cattle. It all was very easy and you can find out the ferry times online.

We also did this excursion (in 2007) and it is the best we have done in the Caribbean so far. In fact, next December we are going back to St. Thomas on the CB and plan to do the full day version of this excursion.

• 4 months later...

Does anyone know how many people the St John Champagne Sail and Snorkel holds? I am with a group, but can't seem to get enough interest to charter the boat I found that would hold most of us. If I'm going to book through the ship, I only want to be on a small boat. I hate those big cattle call boats.

Hi All,

We did the St John tour while we had a great tour, we were left with the feeling it could have been better, there was not enough time at most stops, no swim, not food stop etc,

While we did get to see much, and if you have never been to St John you do get a good tour, some thing was lacking.

yours Shogun

Hi,

A few questions about Trunk Bay and St. Thomas...

Is there a place to rent chairs and umbrellas at Trunk Bay? Are restrooms available? Any places to buy food and beverages? If doing a half day excursion to Trunk Bay, is there still enough time to go to Paradise Point?

When there are several ships docked in St. Thomas how difficult is it to get a taxi and to get on the ferry to St. John? Where does the ferry leave from in relation to where the Emerald docks?

Thanks for your replies.

~~Maun

We also did this excursion (in 2007) and it is the best we have done in the Caribbean so far. In fact, next December we are going back to St. Thomas on the CB and plan to do the full day version of this excursion.

Everyone keeps mentioning the full day trip. What is that called?

WE went on the St. Johns Eco hike which included a stop for a swim at Honeymoon Beach ( accessible by foot or by boat only). It was a lovely walk on an easy to medium trail and was a really nice day. If it's still available it's a pretty good combination of a tour and the beach.

We travel to the islands quite a bit and our favorite place for snorkeling is Trunk Bay on St. John. We have been to Honeymoon Beach, Buck Island, Turtle Cove, etc.. and none of them are as good as Trunk Bay. We have been on the Catamaran/Champagne tour and it was very nice, but the snorkeling at Honeymoon Beach was not as impressive as Trunk Bay.

It is true you only have about 1 - 1 1/2 hours for snorkeling (on the Trunk Bay excursion) - but the trip across the bay is beautiful and the ride around St. John is nice. They do stop for a picture or two. This is the 1/2 day tour.

This is a U.S. State Park. The snorkeling is off the beach (which is good for those who don't like it off the boat in deeper water) and there is an underwater trail with text and pictures (around the rock formations) that describes what you are looking at. It is really nice. We are actually going on it again on our 12/19 Ruby Princess cruise, as we enjoy it so much.

There are snack bars, changing areas and showers which we like also -so you don't go back to the ship like a mess dragging the sand with you.

Bon Voyage and Happy Snorkeling...:)

Archived