Interesting "facts" about AirTran

cindep

I'll preface this by saying I'm biased and really like this airline. Understand the "pitfalls" in that they don't interline with anyone else, but neither does Southwest and several other airlines. Having said that, here are some things I've just learned about AirTran.

1. When you book your trip you can pay up to $15 to select your seat. This covers an entire one-way, so the most you would pay round-trip would be $30 for seat selection. There are other options, which are less expensive, but the $30 will allow you to board in zone 1.
  2. When you check in, you can pay an extra $5 for priority boarding if you didn't select your seats when you purchased your flights. This is important if you're concerned about overhead space.
  3. First checked bag is only $15. This is considerably less than any of the "mainline" airlines.
  4. They may have business seats available when you check in at the 24 hour mark. Depending on the length of the flight, this can be as inexpensive as $49 PER SEGMENT. You'll get a bigger seat, more leg room, and snacks as well as adult beverages.
  5. If you paid the $15 to pre-select your seat at booking, that cost APPLIES to the $49+ upgrade to business. So in my case, I paid the $15, did the upgrade, and it only cost me an additional $34.

If they fly to your city or near it, I feel they are a pretty good bargain. Also, if you detest the regional jets that are more and more becoming part of the way you have to fly, they are an excellent choice (besides having good fares). They only fly Boeing 717 (similar to a DC-9 or MD80) and 737s.

OK ... I didn't get paid by Air Tran to pass this information along. But I've seen a lot of threads about them in the past and thought it would be good to give some "facts". I've decided to use them for my next cruise (flying in the day before of course) primarily because of the better cost and lower checked luggage fee (I have to have one checked bag minimum). Also if by chance the fare goes down, they WILL give you a credit with them for the difference that can be used for baggage, seat fees, or a future flight.

I'll preface this by saying I'm biased and really like this airline. Understand the "pitfalls" in that they don't interline with anyone else, but neither does Southwest and several other airlines. Having said that, here are some things I've just learned about AirTran.

1. When you book your trip you can pay up to $15 to select your seat. This covers an entire one-way, so the most you would pay round-trip would be $30 for seat selection. There are other options, which are less expensive, but the $30 will allow you to board in zone 1.
  2. When you check in, you can pay an extra $5 for priority boarding if you didn't select your seats when you purchased your flights. This is important if you're concerned about overhead space.
  3. First checked bag is only $15. This is considerably less than any of the "mainline" airlines.
  4. They may have business seats available when you check in at the 24 hour mark. Depending on the length of the flight, this can be as inexpensive as $49 PER SEGMENT. You'll get a bigger seat, more leg room, and snacks as well as adult beverages.
  5. If you paid the $15 to pre-select your seat at booking, that cost APPLIES to the $49+ upgrade to business. So in my case, I paid the $15, did the upgrade, and it only cost me an additional $34.

If they fly to your city or near it, I feel they are a pretty good bargain. Also, if you detest the regional jets that are more and more becoming part of the way you have to fly, they are an excellent choice (besides having good fares). They only fly Boeing 717 (similar to a DC-9 or MD80) and 737s.

OK ... I didn't get paid by Air Tran to pass this information along. But I've seen a lot of threads about them in the past and thought it would be good to give some "facts". I've decided to use them for my next cruise (flying in the day before of course) primarily because of the better cost and lower checked luggage fee (I have to have one checked bag minimum). Also if by chance the fare goes down, they WILL give you a credit with them for the difference that can be used for baggage, seat fees, or a future flight.

You missed a BIG POINT. AirTran has NO alliances/partners with another airline. IF you get caught in a bad situation (weather/plane/crew/what happened at JFK yesterday-bomb scare), you have NO OPTIONS. You are STUCK with an AirTran flight-IF and WHEN they have seats available. Again, another person looking for merely the LOWEST cost and NOT taking anything else into consideration.

Airtran is a favored airline of ours.

We fly them 2 or 3 times per year. We have never done so for a cruise. Just a one way direction-stop flight. After 2 round trip flights (4 points) we have a one way business class upgrade (worth $49.00) that we have always been able to use, including over Thanksgiving weekend.

I like AirTran also - used to fly them quite a bit until my recent move to a locale where their fares are less competitive. I do understand your point about their not interlining with anyone else. I always compensated for this by choosing AirTran when the schedule wasn't tight (visiting family, flying children home from college, etc) and choosing another airline when the schedule was more of an issue.

I didn't miss the big point ... I am well aware that you're "stuck" with Air Tran and that your ticket cannot be signed over to another airline. But I've also been "stuck" with Delta and USAir in the past and can't really recommend how they treat passengers when things go awry.

The most important thing regarding cruise air still remains: Fly in the day before and give yourself PLENTY of other options, i.e. fly early and know what flights are available later in the day. Having said that, one other "goodie" AirTran is providing (and I know other airlines do this as well) is being able to check in your bags at the pier for your return flight. See the following for details:

http://www.airtran.com/programs/bags.aspx

Since my preferred cruise line is on the list, I'll gladly pay the extra to NOT have to stand in that horrid line at FLL to check my bag! I know alot of people ask about this feature, and it is nice to see the airline verify that they do indeed do this.

OOOPS, I just came across this thread after posting my new thread about the $5 boarding zone fee, Sorry.

I too love AirTran as they and SW are the 2 carriers that have direct flts from Indy to Tampa for a resonable rate. I fly several times per year to the Tampa Bay area and usually book a $6 asile seat as close to the front as possible. I book weeks in advance so this is usually possible. I would rather pay the $6 each way then to deal with the ABC zone thing with SW. I know they just implemented the $10 option that moves you up in the zones but really love knowing where I'm going to sit without all the hassle.

My only complaint is that I wish they would enforce the carry on size rule. This is the reason they need to charge the $5 fee because if you don't on first you may not have an area to store your things.

Oh, I would also like to add that we will be using AirTran for our upcoming cruise. Our return flight is at 11:35am out of Tampa. This early time caused me some concern so I called AT and they told me that if we missed our flight that they would put us on on of the many other later flights that day for NO charge. This is really good news as the 11:35 flight saved us a few hundred dollars.

Oh, I would also like to add that we will be using AirTran for our upcoming cruise. Our return flight is at 11:35am out of Tampa. This early time caused me some concern so I called AT and they told me that if we missed our flight that they would put us on on of the many other later flights that day for NO charge. This is really good news as the 11:35 flight saved us a few hundred dollars.

Yes, as long as there are empty seats on one of their flights. If there aren't any that day, you could be there until the next day. Just something to be aware of.

My only complaint is that I wish they would enforce the carry on size rule. This is the reason they need to charge the $5 fee because if you don't on first you may not have an area to store your things.

I am really curious about this. Personal items and needed items are usually carried in your "personal item" carryon (laptop bag, purse, etc) aren't they? And the personal item is supposed to be under the seat. So what difference does it make if your 22" roller is not close to you??? Maybe I am weird, but in all the flying I do, I think I have MAYBE opened up my roller three or four times during flight-once to get a clean top after I dumped my ice tea all over. I find no need for my roller and could care less if it is above my seat, at the back of the plane or gate checked. Am I way out of sorts???

I am really curious about this. Personal items and needed items are usually carried in your "personal item" carryon (laptop bag, purse, etc) aren't they? And the personal item is supposed to be under the seat. So what difference does it make if your 22" roller is not close to you??? Maybe I am weird, but in all the flying I do, I think I have MAYBE opened up my roller three or four times during flight-once to get a clean top after I dumped my ice tea all over. I find no need for my roller and could care less if it is above my seat, at the back of the plane or gate checked. Am I way out of sorts???

It makes a big deal to me. If I'm in row 12 for example and there is no room over head then the flt attnd. takes the bag and puts it where there is room. This could be all the way back towards row 30. When the flight is over you can not get your bag until the plane clears enough to make your way back to row 30 and then exit the plane. It's just a big pain in the butt to have to do this. There was one lady on our flight that had a medium size rolling suitcase that was way over the limit and then carried on a shopping bag which she stowed in the overhead as well. She took up enough space to where other px things had to be moved back to an open area. It's just a bit inconvenience. If AirTran makes this rule then they should enforce it. :)

There was one lady on our flight that had a medium size rolling suitcase that was way over the limit and then carried on a shopping bag which she stowed in the overhead as well. She took up enough space to where other px things had to be moved back to an open area. It's just a bit inconvenience. If AirTran makes this rule then they should enforce it. :)

So why didn't you say something to the FA?? Or say something to the lady??? I sure would have if overhead space was taken up by those taking too much space.

Sure, it's inconvenient. But if you have checked luggage, being the last off the plane has a lot of benefits-like not watching the luggage come off the belt and HOPING yours was on the plane. And letting your roller carryon get gate checked has even more-you don't have to hassle overhead space and your luggage is generally right in the jetway or on a rolling cart when you get off the plane.

I didn't miss the big point ... I am well aware that you're "stuck" with Air Tran and that your ticket cannot be signed over to another airline. But I've also been "stuck" with Delta and USAir in the past and can't really recommend how they treat passengers when things go awry.

If the reason you're "stuck" is weather, you're probably going to be stuck regardless of the airline. But if it's the airline's fault (weather is not the airline's flight), I can speak firsthand regarding Delta. A few weeks ago I was delayed on a Delta flight as the result of a mechanical problem (ventilation system). Delta rebooked me on an American flight an hour and a half later. And I still got my Skymiles on Delta.

Paging hdawson ...

;)

:D:D I was trying to remember the name of the poster citing the University of somewhere-out-west yearly study...

Personally I don't really care about fees. I think people here would still fly WN if it was $1000 return with free checked bags and <insert legacy carrier or any other upstart charging baggage fees> was a free ticket but charged $30 to check a bag...

If the reason you're "stuck" is weather, you're probably going to be stuck regardless of the airline.

Not always. If the "weather" is happening at the start/stop points for your flights, then it's likely affecting other carriers. But, you can also have weather-caused problems even if it is perfect both at your origin and destination. Many times, the issue is that the equipment for your flight has been caught up in bad weather at a hub or other city. The delays there cascade over to other cities as equipment can't properly move around the system.

Glad I ran across this post. I found a really good price tonight for a January flight. Considering the potential weather issues in Buffalo at that time of year, I think I might just mark AirTran off my list.:(

I would rather pay the $6 each way then to deal with the ABC zone thing with SW.

I like WN partly _because_ of their boarding process:

a] Wait until there is a cute single girl a couple of people ahead of you in line when boarding

b] she'll pick a seat while you're still making your way in the plane's aisle

c] pick a seat next to her

d] :)

(Yup, I'm single...)

Or they could do like Southwest does, and give two free checked bags to each passenger. It's amazing how much overhead bin space opens up when people can check bags for free...

Just a thought...

The most important thing regarding cruise air still remains: Fly in the day before and give yourself PLENTY of other options, i.e. fly early and know what flights are available later in the day. Having said that, one other "goodie" AirTran is providing (and I know other airlines do this as well) is being able to check in your bags at the pier for your return flight. See the following for details:

http://www.airtran.com/programs/bags.aspx

Since my preferred cruise line is on the list, I'll gladly pay the extra to NOT have to stand in that horrid line at FLL to check my bag! I know alot of people ask about this feature, and it is nice to see the airline verify that they do indeed do this.

I think what you will find here is that Air Tran is not for everyone.... particularly as you say, those who fly the same day as their cruise. :) Same holds true for Jet Blue and Southwest.... there are times I would use them and times I wouldn't. If time is not of the essence and I am in no hurry, for example coming home from a cruise, I will definitely check their sites for availability.

You missed a BIG POINT. AirTran has NO alliances/partners with another airline. IF you get caught in a bad situation (weather/plane/crew/what happened at JFK yesterday-bomb scare), you have NO OPTIONS. You are STUCK with an AirTran flight-IF and WHEN they have seats available. Again, another person looking for merely the LOWEST cost and NOT taking anything else into consideration.

Does anyone know for positive if this statement is accurate? When looking at the Air Tran website, it seems that they have an alliance with United and US Air.

Does anyone know for positive if this statement is accurate? When looking at the Air Tran website, it seems that they have an alliance with United and US Air.

Could you please tell us what the site says and/or a link to the relevant page? I can't find any reference, but I'm willing to be shown otherwise.

Also, FWIW, the partnership with Frontier ends this week.

fbgd. That would be the University of Nebraska with assistance from another university. As I understand, it's a contract with DOT based on the DOT/FAA records. Usually comes out in April as I recall.

Archived