Bumpiing Tours or Reyno Tours

Angel59920

We took a tour with Levi back in 2009 and had a great time--don't recall the name of the driver who did the tour. The only surprise we had was $5 each for the guide at Trafalgar Falls. We will be cruising to Dominica next month and decided to do the same tour with Levi. In corresponding I mentioned the $5 each charge at the Falls and asked if we would have to pay it again to make sure we brought enough cash. He responded that we should not have had to pay--he had a driver that was going behind his back to start his own tour company and had made a deal with a guide to charge his passengers. Levi said another couple brought it to his attention and he got rid of that driver. He's charging us $5 less for our tour this time to make up for our experience last time. We were booking anyway but I was impressed that he made the offer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

On our recent cruise we signed up for the Rousseau Valley Treasures tour that includes Champagne Reef, Titou Gorge, Trafalgar Falls, Morne Bruce, and the Botanical Gardens--our second time on this tour. This time we were fortunate to have Levi himself so the tour was even better. The first stop was at Champagne Reef--wonderful this time, calm and clear water with lots of fish. Levi pointed out an old cannon and lots of other things. It was one of my favorite snorkeling experiences ever.

The second stop was at Titou Gorge, site of scenes from Pirates of the Caribbean II. This is a swim through a very cold stream going through what looks like a cave with a waterfall at the end. Some of our party jumped from the waterfall and others off a rock ledge. Levi shimmied up the wall and dove from a high ledge. Anyway, it was amazingly fun.

Trafalgar Falls was next on the agenda--2 lovely falls with hot pools to sit in. Getting there involved walking through some lovely jungle vegetation and the pools were just the right temperature.

Next we drove back through the botanical gardens and up to Morne Bruce for great views of Rousseau. Drinks were provided (bottled water, soft drinks, local beer) and Levi was both a safe driver and a delightful guide who fully participated in all the activities. The tour is listed as lasting 4 to 5.5 hours but I think ours lasted at least 6. We were particularly blessed to have a gorgeous day with no rain.

Anyway, I highly recommend this tour for seeing a good part of the island and having a ton of fun while doing it. If Levi is your guide you will have a particularly wonderful day on Dominica.

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I found this thread but after reading all the posts, I am still trying to decide who to go with.

Sent requests for info from both and the replies are similar. Not sure if Reyno provides liquids or includes admission fees in his price quotes.

I think they have both raised their fees.

Bumping includes liquids and says "Site passes will be provided, you do not have to go stand in line to purchase site passes."

Excuse me for being dumb, but does this mean all passes are included in the tour fee? I think so

He's quoting $60 for "Roseau Valley Best hike" ,a full day tour which seems fair but we are hoping for less then his

max of 12 -14 people on the tour.

I understand lunch is not included. What do you do for lunch? Maybe eating at a nice place would be a great part of the experience.

Glad I found this thread but after reading all the posts, I am still trying to decide who to go with.

Sent requests for info from both and the replies are similar. Not sure if Reyno provides liquids or includes admission fees in his price quotes.

Bumping includes liquids and says "Site passes will be provided, you do not have to go stand in line to purchase site passes."

Excuse me for being dumb, but does this mean all passes are included in the tour fee? I think so

He's quoting $60 for "Roseau Valley Best hike" ,a full day tour which seems fair but we are hoping for less then his

I understand lunch is not included. What do you do for lunch? Maybe eating at a nice place would be a great part of the experience.

Levi's Pedu Temp Trail Hike includes lunch - you hike to Levi's uncle's house. He's an organic subsistence farmer, and makes you a luscious vegetarian lunch with freshly harvested ingredients. We loved it.

The other two excursions we've done we're great, too. I had a good breakfast and took Quaker Oats bars (pre-packaged, obviously), which got me through the day. There wouldn't be enough time to stop for lunch at a nice place. Plus, I don't remember a whole lot of restaurants as we went from place to place.

• 2 weeks later...

When we went on our tour with Bumpiing all passes were included in the tour price. The only thing extra we would have had to pay for was snorkel gear if we wanted to snorkel at champagne reef. The only thing extra we paid for, by choice, was tips which we gave directly to our tour guide Alvin. We gave him a $20 tip for the 2 of us because we felt the tour he gave was worth it! Loved it and would highly recommend Bumpiing Tours!

Edited by Jettalinc

Levi's Pedu Temp Trail Hike includes lunch - you hike to Levi's uncle's house. He's an organic subsistence farmer, and makes you a luscious vegetarian lunch with freshly harvested ingredients. We loved it.

I did the Perdu Temps tour last week, although I was told it's not often done for cruise groups - too hard to put together. But we were guided by Levi's brother Daniel who did a great job. Ate breadfruit for the first time at lunch. Liquid refreshments were also provided (and needed) after a fairly strenuous trek.

Levi's uncle is a very wise and thoughtful man.

I did the Perdu Temps tour last week, although I was told it's not often done for cruise groups - too hard to put together. But we were guided by Levi's brother Daniel who did a great job. Ate breadfruit for the first time at lunch. Liquid refreshments were also provided (and needed) after a fairly strenuous trek.

Levi's uncle is a very wise and thoughtful man.

We were actually the first ever group to do this hike. I'd do it again in a hot minute! Breadfruit - very cool! We had a pumpkin stew with dumplings, fresh grapefruit, and an orange-ginger drink. And the stew was served in calabash bowls. Actually, I do believe there was breadfruit in the stew, too.

And you're right about Pump - we had a great discussion with him.

It's a fairly long walk, but I thought there were only about 20-25 minutes in each direction that were particularly strenuous. (Reasonable people may disagree, and my husband is probably one of them - I'm in better shape than he is:rolleyes:.)

Edited by jlmolner

• 3 weeks later...

We (DH and I) just got back from our Celebrity cruise and chose to do a private tour on Dominica, as we wanted to go to the Indian Village in Carib Territory and Reyno didn't have any group tours scheduled for this area on the day we were in port. Kerwin was our driver and I highly recommend him. He was professional, a skilled driver (important on this island!), and very knowledgeable about the island history and vegetation. On several occasions during the drive he stopped to pick fruit/plants to have us taste/guess what they were -- so fun! On the way to Carib Territory we stopped at Emerald Falls/Pool, and after Carib Territory we stopped at a sulfur spa. Our tour lasted 5 hours, which was by our choice as I wanted to do a little shopping at the pier and stop at an internet cafe before we got back on the ship.

If this is an excursion you are considering, I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have!

We came back from our cruise 2 weeks ago and it was our 5th time on Domenica and our 3rd time touring with Levi.

We did what he called the 'wet tour', first Champagne Reef where we had great snorkeling and Levi was pointing out different fish and we were there for about 90 minutes.

Then we went to Titou Gorge and the first time we were there, I didn't go in the water, everyone said it was cold, so I passed. But this time, everyone was going, so I decided to do so as well and am I glad I did...a wonderful experience.

Then on to Trafalgar and like others we also walked down to the hot spring.

Levi had planned everything so that we were not at each spot at the same time as the big groups from the ship and it was wonderful.

As always, he was very attentive to everyone in the group. He supplied the water, beer or soft drinks. We had no entrance fee anywhere to pay and like others, our tour was longer than he had mentioned and we had a great time. We have our own snorkeling equipment but for the others, Levi supplied all the equipment.

Any time we go back to Domenica, we always book a tour with Levi, he is the best! So much fun to be with.

We did the same exact tour as Melagali a few weeks ago and had a wonderful day. I was very hesitant about the cold water at the Gorge, but once you got it, it wasn't that bad. The experience was one of a kind:) Levi is the best, he watches out for everyone and makes sure your day is the highlight of your cruise.

Debr

We did the same exact tour as Melagali a few weeks ago and had a wonderful day. I was very hesitant about the cold water at the Gorge, but once you got it, it wasn't that bad. The experience was one of a kind:) Levi is the best, he watches out for everyone and makes sure your day is the highlight of your cruise.

Debr

We're booked for our fourth tour with Levi next January, this time Interior's Best. We love spending our Dominica days with Levi!

• 3 weeks later...
We (DH and I) just got back from our Celebrity cruise and chose to do a private tour on Dominica, as we wanted to go to the Indian Village in Carib Territory and Reyno didn't have any group tours scheduled for this area on the day we were in port. Kerwin was our driver and I highly recommend him. He was professional, a skilled driver (important on this island!), and very knowledgeable about the island history and vegetation. On several occasions during the drive he stopped to pick fruit/plants to have us taste/guess what they were -- so fun! On the way to Carib Territory we stopped at Emerald Falls/Pool, and after Carib Territory we stopped at a sulfur spa. Our tour lasted 5 hours, which was by our choice as I wanted to do a little shopping at the pier and stop at an internet cafe before we got back on the ship.

If this is an excursion you are considering, I'll be glad to answer any questions you might have!

Compared to the ~$50 per person plus tip for one of the group tours. May I ask how much a private drive cost for the 5 hour excursion?

Thanks

Just got back from our cruise on the Serenade. Booked with Levi for the Roseau Valley Treasures tour. $47pp and he was very quick to respond to all emails. Used the email listed on his website.

Directions to meet Bumpiing Tours were very easy to follow and they are easy to locate. We ended up having Levi as our tour guide. A couple we met did the Pools' date=' Falls and more tour and had a different guide but were very happy as well. Levi is very knowledgeable about the island. This tour went to Champagne Falls, Titou Gorge and Trafalgar Falls. Levi made sure that every where we stoppped was not overcrowded at the time so that we were able to make the most of the area.

Champagne Reef was some of the best snorkeling we have ever done. Titou Gorge was beautiful. The water is COLD but it is so worth it. And if you can, jump off the waterfall! Trafalgar Falls is gorgeous and sitting in the hot springs is a great end to the day. On the way back to the ship we drove through the Botanical Gardens and stopped at Morne Bruce to take some pictures. Levi made many stops along the way so that we could get plenty of pictures. Water, juice and local beer were available all day.

Levi made sure that our day in Dominica was perfect! Would definitely recommend Bumpiing Tours. The best island tour we have ever taken and well worth the $$.

-Kristi[/quote']

I think that I was on that tour with you! :)

All I can say is that the tour with Levi was the BEST on the whole cruise!

You can´t go wrong with Bumpiing Tours.

We just returned from a cruise with a stop at Dominica Feb 2013. We booked an excursion with Bumpiing based on other cruisers reviews. We were a little nervous as we have never used a non-ship excursion, but It was a great decision. Go to their website and Levi will confirm a trip for you, they meet you at the port and take good care of you & have you back in good time. We had Gary as our guide and he was so much fun! Titou Gorge was an awesome experience as well as Trafalgar Falls. We did not get to snorkel at Champaign Reef as the waves were too big, but I hear it is great. Highly recommend this tour company!!:) We also loved this beautiful island & hope to return...we will use Bumpiing again!

We went with Levi Baron to take hisRoseau Valley Best hike (wet tour) which include a vigorous rain forest hike to Middleham Falls.

(We were sore for 3 days. Worth it.) Titou Gorge which was great except we waited a half hour for life vests. Not happy!

Next up was Trafalgar Falls which were hot minerals baths under waterfalls. Very crowded and not that impressive.

The final stop was the show stopper. We went to Champagne Reef for snorkeling.

Air bubbled up from the ocean floor among the fantastic variety of sea life. WOW !

Calvin was our guide. He was knowledgeable and there was a separate driver for the 11 of us. It was crowded in the van

but water, sodas and local beer were included for the $60. Over all a decent tour and a spectacular island.

The driver in accordance with local custom was a maniac.

We were happy with the tour but would have enjoyed less people in our group.

Noticed Reyno Tours (which quoted $10 less) had smaller groups.

• 2 weeks later...

We and our friends (all in our early 60's) booked the "Pools, Falls, and More" tour with Bumpiing tours, for our Equinox stop in Dominica, last week. It was our first time in Dominica, and we were all amazed by the beauty of the island. However, after reading all the glowing reviews about Levi Baron and his tour company, I was frankly disappointed in the tour.

Our guide was Gary (Harry?) -- we didn't learn his name until someone on the van asked him. Right from the start, he set such a fast pace that our group of four had trouble keeping up with him. There were only twelve of us in the tour group, but myself and another lady got left behind the group, when we stopped for a bathroom break at the Emerald Pool. When we got to the Emerald Pool, our guide didn't even take us down the trail, so we didn't know where we were going, or what we were seeing. Other tour groups had guides walking with them and explaining the sights. We felt rushed, and worried that we would be left behind again if we even stopped to take pictures.

The four of us (who are all ambulatory and in decent shape for our age) felt that the advanced information Levi provided about the various tours did not emphasize the strenuous nature of the hikes -- especially down to the hot springs. It was far too difficult for our group, and we would not have booked that tour if we had known in advance. We actually chose this tour because it sounded less strenuous than the water-intensive Rousseau Valley Treasures, offered by Bumpiing. We also wore water shoes, as recommended in Levi's advance literature, but sturdy hiking shoes would have been a much better choice, given the rocky, uneven nature of the trails we were on.

In retrospect, I would probably not book again with Bumpiing tours. We did our research in advance, and still had a disappointing experience. :(

We also booked with levi & bumping tour, and did the Roseau Valley Treasures, or whatever, we were lucky enough (upon request) to have Levi actually do our tour, we started off with snorkeling at Champagne Reef, and everyone who snorkeled ( I did not), enjoyed it., I was going to take a swim, but water was a bit chilly and Levi told me that if i stepped down there was a chance I could possibly step on sea urchins and hurt myself seriously..eeeks, that was enough for me, the beach is very rocky, but water shoes were fine...

We then took a nice (long) ride in the van (well equipped with local brew, water and island soda)...to the Gorge where I actually dunked into the cold water, and had a great experience...(take a towel), again it wasn't the nicest sunniest day, and got a little chilly.

After that we went to to the hot springs, and thats where I agree it was a little rough for anyone who is not accustommed to rock climbing...and hiking shoes would be much better than water shoes, alot of rocks and uneven paths...my legs were shaking when we got down to the springs, and I just couldn't venture further down past the first spot...the climb up was even more physically challenging, and my legs were very very sore the next few days from the challenge....

I enjoyed the excursion as did my husband, but it was a challenge, the waterfalls were beautiful to see.

Levi was a great tour director, we even stopped to see the cricket stadium in a scenice photo stop, it was a longer tour than expected, we got back to ship around 3:30 instead of 2:30, but for the $ spent, it was a wonderful tour.

Just back from our cruise on Emerald Princess and did the tour with Bumpiing. Levi had 2 full vans so he operated one and Gary the other. We ended up with Gary. Morning started a little poorly as Gary was not all that outgoing but as the day went along he warmed up considerably and by the end he was well liked by the pax in our van.

The tour itself was excellent. Started at Champagne Reef where Levi led us. Gary doesn't swim in salt water he says because it harms his rasta-man hair :). Then it was off to Titou Gorge which as awesome. Water is cold but well worth getting in and swimming up into the gorge, climbing up the small waterfalls and admiring the sheer rock faces that extend straight up to the overhead forest canopy. We were told some scenes from Pirates of the Caribbean were shot in the gorge. Everyone wears a buoancy vest for safety. Final stop was Trafalgar Falls and the hot springs. Absolutely lovely.

Lots of free beverages along the way (alcoholic and non) plus a stop high overlooking the city and another in the botanical garden. A very full day that went from 8:30 until approx 3:15. Very good value.

Levi is great communicating by email in advance. Clear instructions on where to meet. Take note that there is some physical effort involved. Not for those with mobility impairments. Bring water shoes but wear sturdy footwear for the longer walk sections, per Levi's instructions.

• 3 weeks later...
Just back from our cruise on Emerald Princess and did the tour with Bumpiing. Levi had 2 full vans so he operated one and Gary the other. We ended up with Gary. Morning started a little poorly as Gary was not all that outgoing but as the day went along he warmed up considerably and by the end he was well liked by the pax in our van.

The tour itself was excellent. Started at Champagne Reef where Levi led us. Gary doesn't swim in salt water he says because it harms his rasta-man hair :). Then it was off to Titou Gorge which as awesome. Water is cold but well worth getting in and swimming up into the gorge, climbing up the small waterfalls and admiring the sheer rock faces that extend straight up to the overhead forest canopy. We were told some scenes from Pirates of the Caribbean were shot in the gorge. Everyone wears a buoancy vest for safety. Final stop was Trafalgar Falls and the hot springs. Absolutely lovely.

Lots of free beverages along the way (alcoholic and non) plus a stop high overlooking the city and another in the botanical garden. A very full day that went from 8:30 until approx 3:15. Very good value.

Levi is great communicating by email in advance. Clear instructions on where to meet. Take note that there is some physical effort involved. Not for those with mobility impairments. Bring water shoes but wear sturdy footwear for the longer walk sections, per Levi's instructions.

Just back. Did the same as mentioned above last week. Had a great day with Levi and recommend for a great day. We won't hesitate to look him up on our next visit to Dominica. Made for a wonderful day.

• 5 months later...

I'm also trying to decide between Bumpiing Tours or Reyno Tours. The tours I'm looking at are:

Bumpiing's Pools Falls and More (Wet/dry tour) $55 per person

Emerald Pool

Mr. Nice Fruit Stand

Trafalgar Falls

Botanical Gardens

Morne Bruce

Reyno's Natural Emerald Green Beauty Tour $65 per person

Drive from Roseau into Layou Valley and the Rain Forest.

Mr Nice Fruit Stand

Emerald Pool,

Trafalgar Falls

Wotten Waven Hot Volcanic Sulphur

Botanic Gardens

Morne Bruce

For $10 more we get about an hour or so more of a tour from Renyo's.

Does anyone have a recommendation between these two tours? I knew a few from my cruise who are going with Bumpiing, but not for this tour.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

We just got back from a Southern Caribbean cruise aboard the Jewel. Based on the CC reviews, we booked the Roseau Valley Treasures tour with Levi Baron. During our initial inquiries, we received very prompt and detailed responses.

Bumpiing actually had 4 varying tours going the day were in Dominica. We did end up with Levi as our tour guide. I can't say enough good things about our tour. We first did snorkeling at the Champagne Reef. Levi snorkeled with us and pointed out all kinds of coral, fish and even a ship's cannon that we would have never seen on our own. Snorkeling gear is provided if you wish along with buoyancy vests for those that wanted them. We next went to the Titou Gorge and swam to the waterfall. He swam with us and assisted those who wanted to climb and jump or dive from the fall.

The next stop was Trafalgar Falls and the mineral hot springs. We spent a good amount of time soaking in the springs. Levi made sure everyone in our group found a good less crowded spot to soak and personally assisted people as necessary. We did a few sightseeing stops on the way back to the ship.

Ample alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages were provided as part of the tour package. Everyone in our group of 6 agreed that this was the best day of our cruise. Levi provided for an excellent, unhurried day. Our tour lasted 6+ hours and it was worth every penny.