Is an overnight in Amsterdam practical?

Here is my situation. We are doing two Mediterranean cruises next year and both are RT out of Barcelona. The first is already completely planned out. We will be staying in Barcelona 2 nights pre cruise and 1 night post. For the second cruise I am thinking of switching it up a bit and maybe spending a night in Amsterdam before continuing on to Barcelona.

We are using miles and the air would be the same to use Amsterdam as a transfer point so that isn't an issue. I could work it out to fly into AMS early in the morning and then leave back out the next evening. Would this be too much of a hassle for the amount of time. I just want to see as much as possible. If this is feasible, I am wondering if this would be a good opportunity to see another destination. Thanks for any input.

The Station is underneath the airport. You come out of passports and take the elevator, from what I remember the train takes 20-30 mins into centre of amsterdam.

Then take a taxi to hotel. Even a couple of hours in Amsterdam is a bonus. Take a canal ride for an hour then anne franks house and potter round the old town.

I think they had luggage lockers so you could leave main luggage and just take what you need for overnight into amsterdam. Perhaps airport website will tell you if they will store overnight and cost.

I could work it out to fly into AMS early in the morning and then leave back out the next evening.

That would mean that you have to collect your bags and get it through the customs and re-check the next day.

I would do it this way:

book a hotel at the airport.

Choose a flight which leaves scheduled within 24 hours after your landing from the US.

Background: connecting less than 24 hours are transfers and so your bags can be through-checked to Barcelona.

You just get out with your cabin baggage through immigration and leaves the terminal to get in Schiphol Plaza (train terminal/shopping and more). There you store your cabin baggage.

Take the train to Amsterdam downtown and return the night to collect your bag and to go to your hotel.

Next morning you just take the hotel shuttle. And as you have already your boarding pass you just go through security (no immigration as you are travelling Intra-Schengen now) and just jump on your flight to Barcelona.

Regards

HeinBloed

Wow, you guys are awesome. Thanks for the quick reply. I figure I may as well get the most out of the trip as I can. I would love to go one day earlier, but I am not sure if we can take yet another day off work. I just figure we will have already spent a good deal of time in Barcelona so this would be a great opportunity to see another city. We could do Paris instead, but Amsterdam is more appealing to me.

Wow, you guys are awesome. Thanks for the quick reply. I figure I may as well get the most out of the trip as I can. I would love to go one day earlier, but I am not sure if we can take yet another day off work. I just figure we will have already spent a good deal of time in Barcelona so this would be a great opportunity to see another city. We could do Paris instead, but Amsterdam is more appealing to me.

I agree with Heinbloed about staying near the airport. But I would collect my luggage and recheck it the following evening. I believe you said that you would be at Schiphol early one day and leave late the next.

That way you can take the train into Amsterdam both days. It is very easy and quick.

The second day you might even visit the flower auction near the airport. You can do that by local bus or take a short tour.

If you want some ideas what to do in Amsterdam, let us know. But I have a feeling you already know.

I agree with all of the above. I would, however, consider whether there could be an airline delay that could throw the whole thing off -- or you could miss your cruise. However, I would probably go for it. Although I have to say, Barcelona is a wonderful city with so much to see!!! You are really not there that long on the first trip. We were there about the same amount of time a couple of years ago, and wish we had spent more time. A lot depends on what you plan to see the first time you are there. The city of Barcelona is just very dynamic with lots to see during the day and a host of things happening at night. Also there are places to see just outside of the city itself. Mt. Serrat (sp.??) is an absolute must see. Just so unique. Do your research on what you want to see in Barcelona and decide whether you can see it all in one trip. If not, you may want to go back.

I am not trying to talk you out of Amsterdam as I think that is also a wonderful city to visit -- and I agree with you I would rather go there and Paris. Just thinking about the worry of making the ship in time. But, if you feel there is plenty of time I would try Amsterdam and see something new.

Just my opinion. Either way I hope you have two (lucky you) great trips. Barbara

If you are looking for an inexpensive basic clean hotel at Amsterdam Airport, Etap and Ibis (part of the Accor chain), which are next door to each other, provide free transfers to the airport.

I'm sure you'll be pleased you included Amsterdam in your travels, as it has something for everyone!

Again, thanks for all of your replies. You have made it something I really want to try and work out. I would love to fly out of ATL on a Wed night, arrive in AMS Thursday morning and stay until Sat evening. Then just hop on the plane to BCN, stay the night, and leave on the cruise Sunday. That would be ideal. However, due to all the time my partner is already taking off work we might have to shorten the trip a day and leave on Thursday.

I figure if we can work out two nights in Amsterdam then we would leave the airport area and stay in the city. For one night, I think an airport hotel would be a good option. If I have to then HeinBloed has a great suggestion for the under 24 hour transfer.

Mainly you all have made me realize this is indeed something that is worth the effort to work out. I would be glad to take any ideas or tips on the city itself. I have heard great things.

Indeed an airport hotel in Amsterdam might be an easy solution re your luggage.

There are frequent trains from the airport into the city.

Depending your budget check the Sheraton Hotel, which is right at the airport.

The advantages of an airport hotel are that it is so easy, with no carting luggage worries, no safety issues late at night, etc.

You can travel wherever you want on frequent trains, as late as you want, then return to your hotel by free bus transfer.

There are many good hotels directly near the central station too. For example the Renaissance, the Victoria, the NH, the Sofitel Convent. I would suggest leaving your luggage at the left luggage at the airport, and then take the train to Amsterdam. Go straight to the hotel, even if the room is not ready it will be able to store your handluggage.

When booking a hotel at the airport, be careful. Most require long shuttle transfers, as the hotel is actually going to be in neighbouring Hoofddorp, Badhoevedorp or Lynden. The Sheraton and to a lesser extent Citizen M are in the same airport building. Do not book the Courtyard by Marriott, that is really super far out. If you want to have a very late night in Amsterdam: some of the airport shuttles offered only run until midnight, the exception being the Ibis/Etap with the last shuttle at 2.30 in the night.

Alright, thanks to all of you we have decided to book our flight around two nights in Amsterdam. We will most likely arrive there early afternoon, stay that night and the next before flying to Barcelona early evening on the third day. The cruise would leave the following afternoon.

With that in mind would it still be easy to stay at an airport hotel? I am thinking something very convenient. The Citizen M hotel looks interesting and a good price. If we do the two nights, would it be better to just get a hotel in the city? I do need to think about cost a little. We are not on a strict budget, but we can't blow it out either. Also any tours, etc to recommend? We are not the party type so I doubt we will be out too late. Thanks again.

Alright, thanks to all of you we have decided to book our flight around two nights in Amsterdam.

With two nights I would not stay at the airport and stay as central as possible in Amsterdam.

Regards

HeinBloed

I like the Sheraton at the airport.....which has the added advantage of allowing you to walk there with your luggage as soon as you arrive and even if the room is not ready they will hold your luggage and take it to the room when it is ready....then you do not have to mess with storing luggage at the airport, claiming it later, taking a hotel shuttle back and forth to the airport, etc. And you can just take the train from the lower level of the airport back and forth to the city with out a hassle.

If you are a Starwood Preferred Guest (free sign up) you can stay either entirely on reward points at the Sheraton or on a points plus cash for $60/night. If you have a bit of time before your trip you can look into getting an SPG Am Ex credit card that gives you 10,000 free points when you open the account.....which is more than enough for the 2 nights on a points plus cash basis.

We did it after our Barcelona to Venice cruise. Flew from Venice to AMS left our big bags in a locker, took the hotel shuttle right outside. We stayed two nights and saw almost everything. Then took the shuttle back to airport, collected our bags and flew home. EASY. We were so glad we did it that way.

If you would be getting in to Amsterdam early in the morning, I'd also suggest going to the Aalsmeer flower market. It is pretty close to the airport, and is amazing. VAST amounts of cut flowers on automated racks in a gigantic warehouse, and visitors walk above it all on elevated catwalks. Really incredible, but only worth seeing in the morning hours.

Choose a flight which leaves scheduled within 24 hours after your landing from the US.

Background: connecting less than 24 hours are transfers and so your bags can be through-checked to Barcelona.

Do you know this to be permissible at AMS?

There are many airports where connecting bags will not be stored overnight, even if the stop is technically a connection because it's less than 24 hours.

However, it sounds like this issue will not affect the OP. I think that having 30 hours or so in Amsterdam is a great idea, and (as others have said) Amsterdam airport makes it a very easy place to do this sort of stop.

Alright, thanks to all of you we have decided to book our flight around two nights in Amsterdam. We will most likely arrive there early afternoon, stay that night and the next before flying to Barcelona early evening on the third day. The cruise would leave the following afternoon.

With that in mind would it still be easy to stay at an airport hotel? I am thinking something very convenient. The Citizen M hotel looks interesting and a good price. If we do the two nights, would it be better to just get a hotel in the city? I do need to think about cost a little. We are not on a strict budget, but we can't blow it out either. Also any tours, etc to recommend? We are not the party type so I doubt we will be out too late. Thanks again.

Hey Tiggerman. I was checking out the boards and came across this subject title and there you are. I have spent a week in Amsterdam and I would recommend staying in the city. The trains run under the Schipol airport terminal and you can buy a ticket at a kiosk. This would be faster and cheaper than a taxi to Amsterdam. It's been about 15 years since I was there, but I stayed at the Victoria Hotel across from the Central train station. It was reasonable at the time. Amsterdam is a very friendly walking city, although you see thousands of bicycles.

I booked a day's tour through Gray Line Tours and it took me to Delft, Alsmeer, The Hague, and Rotterdam. It was a great tour. You get to see how they make Delft pottery, the world's largest seaport (Rotterdam), the Queen's palace, the flower auction, The International Court of Justice at The Hague, windmills galor, etc.

Also Ann Frank's house is a must. You actually go behind the bookcase where they hid out. The Riksmuseum is also a great museum with a lot of Rembrant's paintings, including Night Watch. Plenty more to see and do. Some you want to stay away from. :)

Charlie

You've got to stay in the city if you have two nights, no doubt!

Amsterdam is an amazing destination, I love it. I think I've spent close to a month there over various trips.

I saw Ann Frank's house when I was 21, and haven't been back. I still remember parts of it, it's poignant for sure.

But for me, the Van Gogh museum, and the Rijksmuseum are the must sees.

Taking a canal boat ride is a no-brainer as well. Just wander, it's a terrific city for walking.

Another vote for the Ann Frank house with advance reservations. Also we loved the canal cruises which had an explanation of the history of the areas you see.

We saw the Van Gogh Museum, as the Rjiksmuseum was undergoing some changes. I would have chosen the Rijksmuseum normally. I guess that choice depends on whether you are interested in art and if so, what kind.

The Grayline tour sounds nice too by the way!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again to everyone and their input. The flights became available last week so I jumped on them. We will be flying from Atlanta to Amsterdam and staying two nights in the Park Place Victoria (I wanted something easy and central). On the third evening we are flying out to Barcelona and staying one night before we board the cruise. I am excited it all worked out and I never would have seriously considered it without your input.

Thanks again to everyone and their input. The flights became available last week so I jumped on them. We will be flying from Atlanta to Amsterdam and staying two nights in the Park Place Victoria (I wanted something easy and central). On the third evening we are flying out to Barcelona and staying one night before we board the cruise. I am excited it all worked out and I never would have seriously considered it without your input.

Have a good time in Amsterdam:

2010HALWEDM01323-vi.jpg

we are just back from WESTERDAM and had a pre-cruise stay in Amsterdam as well.

2010HALWEDM00935-vi.jpg

If you like visit my blog:

http://heinbloed-hal.blogspot.com/2010/07/tagday-011-pre-cruise.html

(Days 0(1) and 0(2))

you may see what you can expect.

2010HALWEDM01336-vi.jpg

Regards

HeinBloed

Just wander, it's a terrific city for walking.

But watch out for all those bicycles. We were there for 4 days this March and learned we pretty much had to run for our lives when crossing the street to avoid the bikes and light rail. There are parts of the sidewalk that are for bikes only and you better stay off their side. You can rent bikes from Mac bikes at the train station and in the Leidseplein.

Amen to both the museums (they're close to each other) We went to both the same day. We went to the Anne Frank House without reservations. There's usually no line an hour before closing. An hour was enough time. Don't forget the Red Light District. We loved the Leidseplein. Here's a link: http://www.amsterdam.info/sights/leidseplein/ We found a great place for lunch connected to the V & D department store. Most of the canal tour boats are at the end of the Leidseplein by the American hotel.

We ate at de Silveren Spiegel one night. It's in an historic house that also sheltered Jews during the war.

Rick Steves has an excellent guidebook on Amsterdam. Great info on how to get around.

Like most of Europe you have to pay to use public toilets so have some change in your pocket. Nearly everyone speaks English.

You will have a great time. I wish we were going back.

Paula

Quote: Most of the canal tour boats are at the end of the Leidseplein by the American hotel. unquote.

Also opposite Victoria Hotel at Centraal Station there are a few canalboats offering tours. Another one at Rokin near Spui.

Archived