I screwed up my "My Time Dining" reservation

I believe reservations are suggested but not required for MTD. Just walk up to the restaurant when you want to eat. You may have a brief wait, but that's what I'd do, after canceling the res you know you won't use.

I believe reservations are suggested but not required for MTD. Just walk up to the restaurant when you want to eat. You may have a brief wait, but that's what I'd do, after canceling the res you know you won't use.

We always do MTD. Some evenings we get to our MTD res on time, some evenings we are early (~10 minutes or so) and some evenings we run a bit late. Never had a problem getting a table.:)

I guess you haven't done it because you'd know that you don't want to go there near peak hrs without a reservation

Either I have to wait or I guess it is the Windjammer most nights. I don't relish the idea of this at all. If I have to eat at 9PM every night this will really blow.:mad:

Just eat in the MDR with the rest of us peasants. You gotta love a venue like CC where you can fetishize every aspect of cruising; down to the time you will eat every evening (in months from now)

I probably sound very ignorant right now, but isn't the point of MTD that you can switch it up? Make reservations for one night, show up whenever the next?

How do you get locked into a certain time BEFORE you go where you can't change it?

I'm confused.

I guess you haven't done it because you'd know that you don't want to go there near peak hrs without a reservation

I have done it, but probably not at peak hrs as we've never had more than a 15 minute wait at most.

To the OP, just go when you want to. When you board you can call and cancel your reservation, and just go when you want. It's My Time Dining, not Theirs.

Just expect a wait if you show up at peak times, apparently. Makes sense.

For us, the whole point of MTD is the "My Time."

We have utilized this now on three RCCL cruises without making advance reservations and the longest wait we have had is 5 minutes.

We do also enjoy visiting the Windjammer (LOVE THE SALAD BAR AND THE STIR-FRY) and the specialty restautants once or twice, but have had no problems with just showing up for MTD. We have usually been given a table for two and only one time, shared with 2 other couples.

Also depends what ship you're on. On our Freedom cruise last fall we showed up around 7 with no reservations, requested a table for two and never had to wait. Well I take that back, the first night we did have a short wait.

We've only done one RCI cruise and had My Time dining. We never made a reservation, just showed up whenever we wanted to eat, and never had to wait more than a couple of minutes. Usually there was no wait. We could either have a table for two or join a larger group.

We generally ate around 8, but that varied about a half hour each way. We ate according to what shows, etc. we were going to go to that evening. It worked great for us.

I think the issue with my cruise is that it is a Med Cruise and almost everyone is coming back to the ship after a full day of excursions on shore so the 7:30 - 8PM slot is tremendously in demand.

Are you on the Venice trip or the Eastern Med. trip?

We were the on the Brilliance in 2007 on the non-Venice itinerary and I don't remember always getting back so late.

Venice and this is the timetable.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itinerary.do;jsessionid=0000Bu0BSEUETnC7-PyB6AEQjFX:12hbioan0?packageCode=BR12M117&date=201006&promoType=&hasSenior=&hasMilitary=&hasFireandPolice=&state=

All late departures except Dubrovnic and Venice.

Even though RC offers MTD, it is still primarily a fixed dining ship so activities revolve around the fixed dining times, such as shows.

Do you hit the sack early so you can get up early and get a head start on the day's tours? In that case a 30 minute wait won't be fatal. Late Seating in Europe is usually later then Caribbean cruises, starting at 9 PM, to match the dining habits of Europeans. So if you are nite owls you will still finish in time to hit the lounges, etc.

Out of three ships that we used MTD, only one ship which was the Adventure asked for reservations the first day for the entire week. I refused. That is not the point of MTD. On the Freedom and Oasis, we simply walked up and had no issues. Just like everything else, some ships just are better managed than others.

Just eat in the MDR with the rest of us peasants. You gotta love a venue like CC where you can fetishize every aspect of cruising; down to the time you will eat every evening (in months from now)

That comment was uncalled for. Not once did I imply that I look down at my nose at the MDR. If you knew what you were talking about you wouldn't have made this comment because the shore excursions are early and intense and eating at 9PM when you have to get up at 5:30AM is not really a good idea. I made the assumption that since the 7:30PM to 8:30PM times are already booked up that it would be a long wait to get a table. I am not concerned about going hungry. I am concerned about having a long drawn out meal late and then having to go to sleep not too long after eating.

Which sailaway would you miss? They are not all scenic.

Cannes, but it is no really big deal. I got spoiled on my last cruise watching the sailaways during the sun set on my last cruise in the southern Caribbean! :)

We were on a TA on the Navigator and the ship left port fairly late also, on most ports. I did not notice any particular rush at the 7:30-to 8:00 time. Boarding is probably at least one half hour before departure, and most people will be on board quite a bit before that anyway.

On our cruise there were only about 260 MTD's out of around 3000 passengers, so it was easy to get seating and we often had the same waiters and also often were seated

with people we had eaten with before--we thought it worked very well.

On this ship, the MTD was all in one section of the dining room--the upper level, so all the my-timers were in the same area.

Archived