So, take more shorter cruises to get the credits you want cheaply. It is not like you cannot do it. Anyone can. So

This is a big misconception that most people have. Shorter cruises are usually MORE expensive than longer ones on a per day basis. Right now, Majesty in the middle of August for a 3 night OV cabin is $930 ($310 per day) total for two people. The 7 night Liberty during the same time period is $1,967 ($281 per day). The difference is $29 a day times 7 days difference, so you would be paying $203 more to take the shorter equivalent cruise on a per day basis when its factored into a 7 night cruise.

We prefer to get the biggest bang for our buck, so we like the longer cruises when we can, but most often than not, we don't have the time, so the shorter cruises come into play more often.

This is a big misconception that most people have. Shorter cruises are usually MORE expensive than longer ones on a per day basis. Right now, Majesty in the middle of August for a 3 night OV cabin is $930 ($310 per day) total for two people. The 7 night Liberty during the same time period is $1,967 ($281 per day). The difference is $29 a day times 7 days difference, so you would be paying $203 more to take the shorter equivalent cruise on a per day basis when its factored into a 7 night cruise.

We prefer to get the biggest bang for our buck, so we like the longer cruises when we can, but most often than not, we don't have the time, so the shorter cruises come into play more often.

Agreed. The truth is that the three day cruises are big money makers for Royal. I know that I tend to spend more, per day, on the three day cruises than I do on the longer ones. So why punish the people that are helping to make their oldest ships that profitable? :confused:

Agreed. The truth is that the three day cruises are big money makers for Royal. I know that I tend to spend more, per day, on the three day cruises than I do on the longer ones. So why punish the people that are helping to make their oldest ships that profitable? :confused:

What punishment are you referring to?

I was talking about this with my husband last night, and what he said made a lot of sense.

Royal Caribbean isn't giving you status for the # of nights sailed, the # of cruises taken, or the amount of money spent. They're rewarding you for choosing RCCL over another line whenever you decide to take a cruise, regardless of length, cost, or itinerary. That is the point of these loyalty clubs. So sure, Florida residents can make diamond faster since they can take more short little jaunts. But they could just as easily take more trips on any other cruise line too.

I am one of those Floridians who some would think really takes advantage of the system. I can see the port from my house. I take numerous weekend cruises because they are very convenient for me and they are a great way to just get away for a weekend. I can also take a taxi to the port from my house. I do not cruise because of the loyalty programs - of which, by the way, I still find RCI's to be the best. I choose RCI the most because I think their product is superior to the competition.

I know this is going to create alot of response. I have reported this to Carnival too. Diamond status should be granted by days at sea rather than number of cruises taken. Why should someone who has taken 10 7 day cruises be given the same status as someone who has taken 10 3 or 4 night cruises.

What punishment are you referring to?

Sorry, that may have been a bad choice of words. It just goes back to the original posting of this entire thread.:o

I was talking about this with my husband last night, and what he said made a lot of sense.

Royal Caribbean isn't giving you status for the # of nights sailed, the # of cruises taken, or the amount of money spent. They're rewarding you for choosing RCCL over another line whenever you decide to take a cruise, regardless of length, cost, or itinerary. That is the point of these loyalty clubs. So sure, Florida residents can make diamond faster since they can take more short little jaunts. But they could just as easily take more trips on any other cruise line too.

Absolutely, loyalty programs are not actually loyalty but rather marketing tools. Fortunately RCCL's had been very successful. Unfortunately it is reaching a point of being unmanageable given the present prescribed benefits.

Earlier the diamond members lost access to the concierge lounge because there numbers became too great for the facility. Diamond plus members are growing at a rapid rate and could eventually face a similar fate. If the benefits continue to be watered down it would not be a good incentive to cruise RCCL.

There have been several rumors and much speculation about what RCCL will do to keep the program from imploding.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow.......45 days and this thread is still going strong. I'd say some of you folks are really hooked!!

Okay, back to your discussion...don't mind me. Remember I only have one cruise going for myself! No need to worry about days at sea vs number of cruises !!

I guess I look at it this way. Customer A, lives in the midwest and flies to Florida or some other port area every year to take a ten day cruise. It is what they can afford, and get time off for etc. Customer B lives in Florida, and takes three, three day cruises(9 days total) every year. Again because they can afford it, get time off etc. Some folks want the person who cruised for ten days with RCCL to get a "higher" status. But to the computer at HQ who's more "loyal"? The one who books and cruises three times that year is how they see it.

RCCL has simply decided to recognize those that have a lot of bookings a certain way. 3 ten day bookings vs 10 three day bookings is still 30 days at sea apiece. But to the corporate types the person taking 10 cruises is a more "loyal" customer.

I will cruise RCCL regardless of loyalty status or program until they give me a reason to try another brand such as poor service, old ugly crowded ships, price etc. Thats me though and to each their own. Enjoy your next cruise no matter the length, I will! Take care, Jim

I always find it so interesting how some posters here are so worried about what other people they don't even know are doing on their cruises.

:eek:

People worry about what strangers are wearing in the dining room, what people are or are not smuggling in their baggage, who gets into what lounge and if they are or are not supposed to be there and who is hogging which chairs. Now people are worrying about other peoples' cruise credits.:confused::confused::o

WHO CARES???

Why are some of you so concered about other people's vacations, take your own, leave theirs alone.

My Gramma taught me something very important when I was very young, maybe some of you here didn't have such a wise Gramma as I did; she taught me the only business I need to mind is my own.;)

I always find it so interesting how some posters here are so worried about what other people they don't even know are doing on their cruises.

:eek:

People worry about what strangers are wearing in the dining room, what people are or are not smuggling in their baggage, who gets into what lounge and if they are or are not supposed to be there and who is hogging which chairs. Now people are worrying about other peoples' cruise credits.:confused::confused::o

WHO CARES???

Most people don't care. But these are public discussion boards, therefore the subjects are discussed and opinions are stated. You clicked and read the thread, just like everyone else.

Archived