National Express luggage question

How strict are they about the 44 lbs. We will be traveling from the US with each bag weighing the maximum of 50 lbs. 2 of us will have a total of three bags (they allow 2 each). We will be traveling in late September on a Thursday morning. Help!:confused:

I don't know whether the stated restriction is due to the weight of luggage the coach can take (in which case you'd be fine, as 3 x 50lbs is less than 4 x 44lbs) or what is considered reasonable for the driver to lift. Either way, I have never seen a National Express driver refusing to take any luggage and they certainly don't normally weigh items before putting them on the coach. I don't think you need worry.

I don't know whether the stated restriction is due to the weight of luggage the coach can take (in which case you'd be fine, as 3 x 50lbs is less than 4 x 44lbs) or what is considered reasonable for the driver to lift. Either way, I have never seen a National Express driver refusing to take any luggage and they certainly don't normally weigh items before putting them on the coach. I don't think you need worry.

The max weight of each bag is a Health & Safety thing, to protect the driver. But they don't carry a weighing machine and they're not wimps. 80lbs would be a bit of a liberty, 50lbs is no prob.

Max total weight would only be enforced if the bus was full & everyone had luggage, since this would exceed the bus's permitted gross weight. But I've never heard of it being enforced & anyway, as you say, the OP is way under. So again, no prob.

John Bull

Got tickets today for National Express coaches luggage allowance is 2 x 20kgs in meduium suit cases (approx 44 lbs) per person

no unusal shape luggage,and luggage may be left behind if it doesnt confirm ps i would imagine that there or there abouts will be enough

As has been said, you wheel your bags to the bus, the driver takes them and stores them in the luggage compartments, under the bus. There are no scales to weigh anything, so do not worry. Now you you came with a very extra large bag that probably weights about 70 pounds, you might have a problem, but other wise, enjoy your ride and do not worry about the luggage.

Cheers

Len

We went from Canterbury to London with three bags, probably close to 50 # each. No scales, driver didn't blink (they weren't huge bags, just 'well-packed'). As others have said, unless you have a really, really huge or over-weight bag I think you'll be fine.

Thank you so much everyone who responded to my question about the luggage weight. We are going to go with the coach and keep our fingers crossed. There will be 4 of us with a total of 5 bags to check under the bus. After reading all the posts, I am sure we will be fine.;)

What was memorable about my National Express ride was at the end, when we got off and the driver unloaded our luggage, I offered a tip to the driver and he firmly declined. Shocked the heck out of me!

Part of his job is to load and unload luggage, so why should he be tipped for doing his job. He hasn't provided you with any special service above and beyond his duties.

Part of his job is to load and unload luggage, so why should he be tipped for doing his job. He hasn't provided you with any special service above and beyond his duties.

:eek: Wow Newport Dave. I'm American. Your point is not only totally foreign to me it's also seemingly too reasonable to be true! ;)

I've never tipped a National Express driver and never thought of doing so. I find the coaches much easier to ride than the trains where there is no one to help you with your luggage or the doors! Also UK train stations are noted for having many steps.

Dave

I understand your point EXACTLY, but here in the US, many workeers are paid minimum wage doing certain jobs, as they are expected to recoup some of that extra money with tips. If a person is being paid an actual real life salary equivilant to his duties, then YES, tipping should be an option and not expected. But when they are paid below scale and need those tips to make up the difference, then tipping is expected. (For good service, of course).

Cheers

Len

I've never tipped a National Express driver and never thought of doing so. I find the coaches much easier to ride than the trains where there is no one to help you with your luggage or the doors! Also UK train stations are noted for having many steps.

I'm not sure about St. Pancras train station which has trains going to Dover, but when we took the train from Victoria station to Dover in June, the station is street level as was the train. In Dover, however, there were steps but there was also one elevator.

Dave

I understand your point EXACTLY, but here in the US, many workeers are paid minimum wage doing certain jobs, as they are expected to recoup some of that extra money with tips. If a person is being paid an actual real life salary equivilant to his duties, then YES, tipping should be an option and not expected. But when they are paid below scale and need those tips to make up the difference, then tipping is expected. (For good service, of course).

Cheers

Len

Len

Been to the US a few times and realise that many workers are paid very low hourly rates, so we always tip. Just wanted to inform the poster how it was done over here, probably not in the best way, as I was at work and had to be quick. There are a lot of jobs in the UK where the worker is not allowed to accept tips, I'd have probably thought with the drivers reaction his job was one of them.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

David

Len

Been to the US a few times and realise that many workers are paid very low hourly rates, so we always tip. Just wanted to inform the poster how it was done over here, probably not in the best way, as I was at work and had to be quick. There are a lot of jobs in the UK where the worker is not allowed to accept tips, I'd have probably thought with the drivers reaction his job was one of them.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.

David

Dave

Please, no apologies necessary. What I learned from this board about tipping in London etc, was invaluable to me, on our trip last year.

One thing I distincly remember was how appreciative people were when they were given a tip, even a small one. Compared to many in the US, who, as we said, expect tips, and big ones at that, and many times, not even a thank you.

Big difference here and there.

Cheers

Len

Archived