Best Port/Shops for Jewelry purchase

SusieV

I am aware that there are not the deals there used to be on diamonds and other jewelry, but for sentimental purposes our cruisemates want to buy a diamond ring on our upcoming December cruise. They are planning to do their research in advance on approximately what the cost would be.

This is the itinerary:

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Cozumel, Mexico, Roatan, Honduras, Puerto Limon, Costa Rica, Colon, Panama, Cartagena, Colombia, George Town, Grand Cayman

It doesn't really look like a shopping itinerary to me! I know some CC'ers are experienced jewelry buyers- which port should I recommend they shop at and do you have any stores you'd suggest?

Susie - Although I have always purchased watches in Jamaica and other jewelry in the West Indies, and your itinerary includes neither of those places, I will make one suggestion: in general, stay away from the stores that the cruise lines are pushing. I personally know of many instances where those stores are higher priced, have reduced quality merchandise, and will not stand behind their product, even though they advertise that they will. I have found some fantastic deals on excellent quality items simply by asking my local tour guide who has the best deals while taking a tour of the port city. The locals know where to shop, and it almost always will not be the same places the ship's personnel are trying to push. Sorry I can't be of more help with your itinerary.

Susie, I agree that your friends will not be on a shopping itinerary. I have been to all of those places except Colon, Panama. I can tell you that Grand Cayman is very expensive. In Cozumel, they try to entice you into their stores and are very annoying. None of the other ports are known for jewelry stores.

I would like to offer one piece of advice. When you are out shopping for jewelry, wear NO jewelry of your own (except perhaps a watch). I learned on our first cruise all the way back in 1983 that the shopkeepers size you up based on how you are dressed, the handbag you are carrying and the jewelry you are wearing. You want to be in the best position to bargain, and if they think you're wealthy, it puts you into a worse position from which to bargain. Now when we are off the ship (in any port), I wear no jewelry at all except my watch and my Medic Alert bracelet. No earrings, no rings, no other bracelets. It's safer that way.

To be quite honest, I wouldn't put a lot of money into any place in the Caribbean, especially for something like diamonds. Unless you're a diamond expert, you take the chance of not getting what you paid for. It's not like the old days where you could trust individuals and not get ripped off.

Like others have said, Grand Cayman is way over the top expensive and I don't think I'd trust anything in the other ports. My sister purchased an emerald ring in Columbia, and before we left the ship at the end of the cruise, the emerald cracked in half, and she only wore it once. It was heck getting her money back, and this was from a supposedly reputable store.

I used to buy one ring on every cruise- never diamonds Needless to say I'm a jewerly nut. But that stopped years ago. Now I never buy anything on a cruise except maybe one of those $10 watches when they have them on sale. By the way they last forever!

I personally would only buy diamonds locally.

I have bought a lot of jewelry in my cruising time, and most of them in St Thomas and St. Marteen. With current prices on gold and gems, I would not buy anything in the Caribbean.

Prices are just plain" stupid". You are better off to buy on internet.

I have bought a lot of jewelry in my cruising time, and most of them in St Thomas and St. Marteen. With current prices on gold and gems, I would not buy anything in the Caribbean.

Prices are just plain" stupid". You are better off to buy on internet.

I agree with your thoughts regarding St. Thomas and St. Maarten. However, please explain why it is better to buy jewelry on the internet when you cannot see what you are buying. I feel that buying locally is probably the safest, if not necessarily the least expensive.

Don't recommend any shop to your friends for diamonds. Do you want to feel responsible for a bad purchase?? And I totally agree none of those ports are where a shopper could actually have fun.

Cozumel is good for silver if you research the product & we've bought some gold on a friend's rec. of a jeweler in St maarten (before gold went sky high)..

got some nice coral recently in Cabo, but a Diamond in a good setting is something I would only buy where you live through personal recomendations.....

the advice about not wearing your best jewelry & purse is excellent!!! They size you up in a minute..

Before they purchase a diamond, I suggest they go to Blue Nile on the web. There, they can learn all about diamonds. Both my sons "studied" that website before purchasing engagement rings, locally.

Diamonds, like furs, are "blind" items and we should be very careful.

If I like the style of a piece of jewellery and it is what I consider reasonable, I would buy it. But a diamond ring usually has a sizable stone and that costs $$$$. I would find out where others in my city got good deals locally. Hope they get something wonderful!

I agree with your thoughts regarding St. Thomas and St. Maarten. However, please explain why it is better to buy jewelry on the internet when you cannot see what you are buying. I feel that buying locally is probably the safest, if not necessarily the least expensive.

I only recommended internet if there is no big jewelry stores in the area. It is safe to buy from the reputable internet store if you know what you buying. There are no bargaing in the Caribbean anymore. I use the same jeweler in St. Thomas for 15 years if I want a piece of jewelry and I know that I get what I paid for. Years ago I educated myself about gold, diamonds and gemstones. That way I know what I am buying. So very few people can be trusted in jewelry business.

There are some nice shops in St. Martin and St. Thomas but the islands in the Western Caribbean are not known for that type of shopping. There will definitely be a Diamonds International at each port but they get very mixed reviews (good and bad) on these boards and I don't know how the pricing is for them at the western Caribbean ports.

Just from a casual walking down the street observation I've seen a lot of jewelry stores in Cozumel and Grand Cayman - but that doesn't speak at all as to the merchants or values there. But if I had to pick a spot (which is understandable from some romantic perspectives) it would be one of those two ports. They should definitely have a good idea of values. If they are buying an expensive diamond they should look for a graded diamond but also should do a little internet research on the GIA grading as opposed to the certifications more commonly found in the Caribbean as all certification/grading is not the same and many do not mesure up to GIA standards.

I am aware that there are not the deals there used to be on diamonds and other jewelry, but for sentimental purposes our cruisemates want to buy a diamond ring on our upcoming December cruise. They are planning to do their research in advance on approximately what the cost would be.

This is the itinerary:

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Cozumel, Mexico, Roatan, Honduras, Puerto Limon, Costa Rica, Colon, Panama, Cartagena, Colombia, George Town, Grand Cayman

It doesn't really look like a shopping itinerary to me! I know some CC'ers are experienced jewelry buyers- which port should I recommend they shop at and do you have any stores you'd suggest?

Do yourself a favor and buy at home from a a known jewlery store.

I had a diamond fall out of a ring within 3 days of purchase, and not until my husband and I played "good cop, bad cop" I was not able to get any results which satisfactory but very stressful. Never again!:mad:

I have purchased on a Princess ship with good results.

• 3 months later...

Please remember that the store that the cruise line "recommend" are paying big money to be "recommended" plus they also pay comissions to the port lecturers for every purchase. Use your good common sense judgement. Find stores where the OWNER is present, not empmloyees who can be fired at any moment. Find store who specialize in the type jewelry that you are looking for. Make sure you get a Certificate of Authenticity and a GUARANTEE in wiriting and get the store owner's cel phone number. Buy only from trained jewelers with Diplomas on the wall, and don't fall for the 70% OFF fake deals. The Caribbean is a GREAT place to buy jewelry but don't leave your common sense at home!

Archived