On which lines can you pay 3rd person rates for all 3 kids?

InsideCruiser

We are a family of 5 (kids ages 2, 3, 5) looking to cruise. Besides the desire to depart from NJ, NY, or Quebec budget is the primary consideration.

So far my research has found that either:

• we need a suite and the kids end up being too expensive
  • we need 2 rooms and end up paying top dollar for 4 of us and extra person rate for one child (because the rooms need to be adjoining it seems that we often have to upgrade from the cheapest category as well)

Are there any cabins where you can pay the extra person rates for all 3 kids?

TIA,

Mark

I don't think there are any lines that will give you a reduced rate as you seek - I seem to remember Costa years ago having a dirt-cheap deal whereas you got a second cabin for near to the 3rd person rate, but that was out of Florida anyways.

NCL does have standard cabins that fit 5 people - you might want to look into that, as they do sail out of Quebec, NY and Boston.

Ah, the problems you run into when you have more than two children!

I don't know of any cruiseline/cabin where you can pay the third and fourth person rate for three kids. It's expensive and hard to find a cabin that will hold five people, so you are stuck with the need to purchase two cabins, at the more expensive rate.

Some of the RCI ships have 'family' cabins that hold more than 4 people, however you do need to call the line directly to book them, can't be done on-line. I think the Freedom class (although not out of NY/NJ area) has inside, outside, balcony and suite class family cabins.

Not sure about any other lines.

You can only do this if you have all five in one cabin. Carnival can do this in all Fantasy class ships, and other ships launched in 2000 or before (Victory, Triumph, Destiny). they also have family OV cabins for five on Carnival Dream. Unfortunately,none of those sail from NYC. EM

I don't think there are any lines that will give you a reduced rate as you seek - I seem to remember Costa years ago having a dirt-cheap deal whereas you got a second cabin for near to the 3rd person rate, but that was out of Florida anyways.

NCL does have standard cabins that fit 5 people - you might want to look into that, as they do sail out of Quebec, NY and Boston.

Thanks, I called NCL. To get 5 in a cabin you have to go with a suite. To get connecting staterooms you have to go with a minimum of ocean view.

Some of the RCI ships have 'family' cabins that hold more than 4 people, however you do need to call the line directly to book them, can't be done on-line. I think the Freedom class (although not out of NY/NJ area) has inside, outside, balcony and suite class family cabins.

Not sure about any other lines.

Thanks, I called RCI. To get 5 in a cabin you have to go with a Family Ocean View. To get connecting staterooms you have to go with a minimum of inside category K.

You can only do this if you have all five in one cabin. Carnival can do this in all Fantasy class ships, and other ships launched in 2000 or before (Victory, Triumph, Destiny). they also have family OV cabins for five on Carnival Dream. Unfortunately,none of those sail from NYC. EM

Thanks, looks like the closest one to us is the Fantasy out of Charleston. There's a 5 day Bahamas in Feb. $269 pp for the 2 of us, $149 pp for the 3 kids. Looks interesting.

We brought our niece along last August on the NCL Sky and had an OV cabin for 5.

Not many lines have cabins for 5.

The Sky sails out of Miami for 3 and 4 nighters. It's also hard to find hotels that allow 5. We got lucky with the HI-POM last August.

We had a great time.

NCL Sun has an inside cabin for 5. We used it 2 times for my sisters family. It is the absolute cheapest way for a family of 5 to sail, hands down.

Thanks. There's a 5 day Western Caribbean Jan 8. $274 pp for the 2 of us, $149 pp for the 3 kids. Orlando is too far for us though.

cabins 0063/0062 and 0262/0263 on the Sky accomodate 5 to a cabin.

You can do a B2B for 7 nights. That's only if you really like the Bahamas.

I would take a 4 nighter and go down to Key West for a couple of nights

When i was younger my parents took us on a cruise (there are 3 of us kids). We all slept in the same room. 2 sets of bunk beds and a roll away cot. Very cramped but doable. This was on the Carnival Destiny and they had to call in to reserve it. Good luck!

cabins 0063/0062 and 0262/0263 on the Sky accomodate 5 to a cabin.

You can do a B2B for 7 nights. That's only if you really like the Bahamas.

I would take a 4 nighter and go down to Key West for a couple of nights

Interesting, these are Oceanview rooms. There's a 4 day Bahamas Nov 14 2011. $269 pp for the 2 of us, $109 pp for the 3 kids. Miami is too far for us though.

I was able to put 5 people in a cabin on Carnival Miracle out of New York City for both 2010 and 2011 -- sailings going to both the Caribbean and Bermuda. Even inside cabins allowed up to 5 people.

Thanks, do you recall the specific category? I couldn't find anything on the Miracle that would accommodate 5.

Hi sendtomaz,

We are in the same situation as you, family of five leaving from Ontario. The best solution that I've found for us is on the Fascination out Jacksonville. A five day to the Bahamas in an oceanview in November for $1252 US. I love this itinerary as there is a stop at Half Moon Cay. We would then fly into Orlando from Syracuse and tack a few days extra fun on with the kids.

Like some others have mentioned, there is the Explorer of the Seas out of NJ but it is a longer cruise. I was quoted $4500 CAD for the 5 of us. You could do one of the shorter Bermuda or New England cruises but I didn't find any fabulous deals to do that.

There is also a cruise to the Bahamas out of Baltimore for an interior family room for $3500 CAD.

Thanks, do you recall the specific category? I couldn't find anything on the Miracle that would accommodate 5.

UGH, darn Expedia. I was using it to narrow the choices down and it gave me all the cabin types and the sailings leaving from NYC for that time period. And it gave me the prices for all 3 kids in those categories with the price breakdown for each child but when I just went back and clicked "book this category" it says "sorry none available" :rolleyes:

Sorry :( I tried.

Call Carnival and see if they have any ships leaving NYC (Miracle and Glory) with the ability to put 5 in one cabin. Or check Baltimore sailings as well (Pride).

I would take the advice and check NCL as well. They sail from NYC too.

Princess would be more expensive for the 3rd/4th/5th rates.

Archived