Oceania- NEVER AGAIN !!!

You are doing what the OP should have done. If shuttles are important to you, you need to find out if they are available.

If you want to smoke, sail HAL, not O

If you want your kids to be entertained, sail Carnival, Disney or RCCL, not O

If you want to wear shorts to the dining room, sail NCL, not O

If you want to be able to bring on all the wine you want in each port, sail O, not Celebrity (and stop figuring out ways to smuggle it on)

If you want free cappuccino, sail O, not Celebrity.

If you want all your alcohol to be free, sail Regent, not O

If you want splashy evening entertainment, sail Carnival, NCL EPIC, not O

If you want formal nights, sail HAL, Princess or Celebrity, not O.

If you want free laundry, sail Crystal, not O.

If you are craving a great hamburger, don't go to a fish restaurant and complain that the hamburgers are awful.

Know what you are buying. Every cruise line is different. You are not ENTITLED to anything more than the cruise line offers in the first place - even if you are in an Owner's Suite. If you don't like what a particular line offers (or fails to offer) go elsewhere. You have many choices and many resources for getting good information.

I for one offer no apologies to the OP whose post was simply a factor of her not knowing what she was buying and then complaining after the fact.

Very well said!!! :)

Know what you are buying. Every cruise line is different. You are not ENTITLED to anything more than the cruise line offers in the first place - even if you are in an Owner's Suite. If you don't like what a particular line offers (or fails to offer) go elsewhere. You have many choices and many resources for getting good information.

I for one offer no apologies to the OP whose post was simply a factor of her not knowing what she was buying and then complaining after the fact.

Very well said.

I was never upset about the OP's opinions, but as I get older I have less patience for people who buy the wrong thing and then mope about it.

This is particularly true for travel because a large percentage of people use the services of a professional to guide them through the transaction (what else is a TA?) yet they still ASSUME rather than ASK.

since we started cruising many, many years ago . . . they are all pretty much cutting corners where they can. I could give lots of examples on cruise lines in general but I do not have personal experience with Oceania. My point . . . if you choose to cruise, you have to realize it will not be the same as it once was . . . quality and service have suffered greatly

I've been fortunate enough to have been cruising since I was 20, on & off for 40 years. When I sailed the first time w/my parents in a B1 category on QE2, there was gold leaf on the ceiling, silk bedspreads and silk draperies, a large marbled bath and a huge walk-in closet, but the linens certainly could never have compared to Oceania's or the sheer comfort of the beds on Oceania. (So much for the "good old days")

The service in the Queen's Grill was splendid, but the food in comparison to Oceania's, no contest. In regard to the comment that quality is a thing of the past, not on an Oceania ship it isn't.

With china designed by Jacques Pepin, antique flatware and Lalique glassware, I can't wait to enjoy the beauty and standards Oceania has set when we sail next year on Marina.

Interesting thread.

I will look into the shuttle bus situation. We do actively debate this topic internally every season and so far, have decided to do what we do....

FDR

This is one area I too believe could be improved, and I hope you reconsider your policy for locations where the port (or the ship's place in that port) is far from a source of public transportation (or even taxi transportation) to the major sightseeing destination which led to Oceania's choosing to visit that port. For example, it was extremely frustrating in Civitavecchia in May to wait and wait and wait for a port shuttle to bother stopping by our ship while bus after bus after bus dedicated to other specific cruiselines whizzed by, and on the return trip, it was almost a riotous situation near the port gate which I feared could lead to serious injury.

Wow! Interesting thread...

I just got home from a 26-NIGHT vacation including a cruise on "another" cruise line...otherwise, I might have chimed in earlier...

I will not disagree with a lot of what the OP had to say...

Rather I have a different approach...

One person's worst cruise ever might be another's best...

We all cruise for different reasons...We have different criteria, different standards, different needs...

What is very important to one person is very unimportant to another...

Very few cruise lines will ever be perfectly suitable to every cruiser...neither will many be perfectly unsuitable...All have good points and bad points...things they do well and things they don't...

They tend to cater to different clienteles...

All have limitations based on the market they are trying to reach...or due to economics...of scale...of practicality...of market conditions...

Clearly, Oceania is not the best at entertainment or at activities...it is one of the side effects when one is operating smaller ships...You don't have the stage and backstage facilities...and you can't offer the choices for 600 passengers that you can for a sailing of 3,000 passengers...

As to prices for options such as laundry or internet, it's partially a question of the economies of scale...Of course, you could offer such services at a cheaper rate and make up for it in the cruise fare...

Obviously, for the OP, items such as self-service laundry or port shuttles are important...

But, I am guessing they are not important for most Oceania cruisers...

For us, I really prefer NOT to do my own laundry...but even if I did, whether might cost $2 or $4 a load would be an insignifican blip on the overall cruise cost...

Port shuttles for us are relatively meaningless since we tend to hire private guides or take shore excursions in port...and either would include transportation from the ship...If not, I would think nothing of catching a taxi...

But these things that are unimportant to me are obviously quite impoprtant for the OP... which is why that, although I may bevery happy on Oceania, the OP may be better suited for some other cruise line...

What IS important to ME is to have a relatively uncrowded ship, excellent food and service and, importantly, interesting and different itineraries...those things make Oceania a good choice for ME...Of course, I also enjoy entertainment and activities--and those issues take a little off the Oceania experience for me...But, I think I am somewhat realistic---I don't expect Oceania--or any other cruise line--to be "perfect"...There are always going to be some areas where they--or any other line--just aren't going to be able to fill every one of my desires...

But a key with enjoying any cruise is to enjoy the good points and overlook the shortcomings...and hope that you've chosen a cruise where, for YOU, those good points outweigh the shortcomings...

For many here, Oceania achieves just that...It's a cruise that scores high in those areas that are most important to them...while they place little importance on those areas where Oceania falls a little short...

If the reverse is true for you, as it is for the OP, then perhaps some other cruise line will suit you better...

Jumpng in here pretty late, and kind of sorry to have done so! Now second guessing our decision to sail Oceania because many of the things the OP noted are, in fact, offered by Azamara, for instance. Sailed with them three times, didn''t mind paying for wine with dinner, doing laundry, or port shuttles (all of which are now included in their cruise fare).

Other things we received on board both AZ ships - also former R ships - both O and A having the same rating: open dining in the specialty dining rooms (which cannot be booked fully when open, in order to provide spaces for the folks booked for the next half hour, etc if you think it through); ordering in-room dining from the dining room menu during main dining room hours, and didn't need to be in a penthouse or owners suite - room service staff delivered it very competently! Some shore days can be exhausting and just want to get in the shower and throw on a robe, not going out at night.

We will go with an open mind, and hope for the best - not second best!

Although you say O and Azamara have the "same rating," if you study the CC boards I think you will find that most people who have sailed both lines, give O much higher marks in almost every category and consider Azamara a "wannabe." Based on the many reviews and comments I read (I do my homework LOL), I cancelled an Azamara cruise booking for January 2011 and booked with O instead. Azamara was less expensive (at the time) and my status on Celebrity would have given me some extras, but I, too, do not want "second best."

I too am finding some of these comments interesting. We will be doing a b2b on Azamara in October, and then the Caribbean Jewels on Oceania in February. It will be interesting to compare the two lines. I do know that Azamara now provides free shuttles in all towns requiring transportation into town, and some of the things that Cruisingallthetime seems to desire. Perhaps she should take a gander at that line.

I too am finding some of these comments interesting. We will be doing a b2b on Azamara in October, and then the Caribbean Jewels on Oceania in February. It will be interesting to compare the two lines.

I look forward to hearing your comparison of the two lines. I understand Azamara has gone through some growing pains and made significant changes. Have a great time on both cruises.

I too am finding some of these comments interesting. We will be doing a b2b on Azamara in October, and then the Caribbean Jewels on Oceania in February. It will be interesting to compare the two lines. I do know that Azamara now provides free shuttles in all towns requiring transportation into town, and some of the things that Cruisingallthetime seems to desire. Perhaps she should take a gander at that line.

Which February sailing are you on? I'm on Feb. 25, and we have a roll call started. Join us if you will be on our sailing.

Susie

I look forward to hearing your comparison of the two lines. I understand Azamara has gone through some growing pains and made significant changes. Have a great time on both cruises.

Azamara has made drastic changes because they are floundering and RCCL is growing impatient with their lack of impact on the marketplace.

Azamara's scheduled 2010 World Cruise has already been canceled and the ships redeployed to shorter (hopefully more profitable) itineraries.

One major problem with AZ (besides that dreadful name!) is that they are a subsidiary of a very successful mass market line. When Azamara profits dip, there is a natural tendency to revert to doing things "the RCCL way".

Azamara has made drastic changes because they are floundering and RCCL is growing impatient with their lack of impact on the marketplace.

Azamara's scheduled 2010 World Cruise has already been canceled and the ships redeployed to shorter (hopefully more profitable) itineraries.

One major problem with AZ (besides that dreadful name!) is that they are a subsidiary of a very successful mass market line. When Azamara profits dip, there is a natural tendency to revert to doing things "the RCCL way".

I often visit the Azamara boards and it appears the ships are sailing less than full (which worries cruisers) - compared with O where they are often in an oversold situation. That's what I meant by "wannabe." They haven't quite gotten it right. Same ships don't mean the same cruise experience. I have an open mind, however, and IF things improve and IF the ports are right I would certainly consider Azamara. That's why I would love to get recent reports from O cruisers who sail Azamara.

Same ships don't mean the same cruise experience. I have an open mind, however, and IF things improve and IF the ports are right I would certainly consider Azamara. That's why I would love to get recent reports from O cruisers who sail Azamara.
We'll long time HAL cruisers who decided to kick it up a notch and try both Oceania & Azamara. We recently completed identical cruises, 14-nite transAtlantics (O in Nov/09 & A in April/10) in the identical cabin category & location, so we could form our own impressions. Here’s a summary of how the on-board experience rated for us:

DINING Food on O was consistently better than A in every dining venue. Specialty restaurants were no charge on O and $15 pp on A (complimentary for suites). Complimentary table wines were poured at lunch & dinner on A.

CABINS Identical layout for identical categories. Beds, linens, towels, deck furniture were in better condition on O.

PUBLIC ROOMS Very similar public spaces but some different uses. Both well maintained though O showed more careful attention to detail.

ENTERTAINMENT Both have cabaret-styled low-key shows. A offered a bit more variety while O relied heavily on ship staff to perform.

ACTIVITIES Both offered similar activities. Cruise Directors were superb on both, but the guy on A seemed more genuine. A still has Art Directors & Ship Photographers on board, which gives a more commercial feel. CC Meet & Mingles were hosted on A but not on O.

SPA & FITNESS Small physical spaces with similar offerings on both.

SHORE EXCURSIONS Shorex team on A was outstanding while O was disorganized & unhelpful. Ship tours on A were excellent value-for-money. A provided complimentary shuttles in ports where the ship docked away from city centre.

OVERALL SERVICE Both excellent & very customer-focused. O service slightly more reserved than A. Officers & senior staff on A were very visible, accessible & gregarious.

BOTTOM LINE We preferred O. If O and A offered the same itinerary at a similar price, we would choose O. But we would consider sailing A again if itinerary & price were right.

I have previously posted my reviews of both cruises, but here you go:http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/getreviews.cfm?action=members&MemberName=MightyQuinn

MightyQuinn,

Thanks for that review and comparison.

It's nice that "A" hosted a meet and greet.

I still think it is mistake ( missed opportunity ) that "O" does not host any such event as a rule.

I have read that on occasion "O" had had a CC M&G, but not usually.

A whiskey sour fountain and a few finger foods for an hour would be great.

MightyQuinn,

I am curious how the pricing compared between the two. I know Azamara recently increased brochure fares but do not know how that affects actual price. If the right cruise comes along at the right price, I would like to give Azamara a shot.

It's nice that "A" hosted a meet and greet.

I still think it is mistake ( missed opportunity ) that "O" does not host any such event as a rule.

I agree Pratzert. It seems especially odd that O doesn't host any CC events, given that FDR has stated earlier in this thread that he believes CC to be "... the most unbiased, unfiltered and direct source of what guests really like, dislike, want etc. and we take your thoughts very, very seriously." What better way to access the collective wisdom of the CC bunch than having an on-board social?

I am curious how the pricing compared between the two. I know Azamara recently increased brochure fares but do not know how that affects actual price. If the right cruise comes along at the right price, I would like to give Azamara a shot.
After factoring discounts, OBCs, air credits, taxes and fees, our per diem was virtually identical between O and A. Now to be fair, we upsold into our category on O for a lesser $$ than published fare and we got in on the "old" rates before ACC came into effect. So we had good fortune in both bookings.

Fares on A have risen appreciably in the past few months but there are still deals to be had. Check the A website & click Special Promotions to see the current offers. Most of the really sweet deals are the familiar itineraries to Caribbean and PC/Mexico.

We'll long time HAL cruisers who decided to kick it up a notch and try both Oceania & Azamara. We recently completed identical cruises, 14-nite transAtlantics (O in Nov/09 & A in April/10) in the identical cabin category & location, so we could form our own impressions. Here’s a summary of how the on-board experience rated for us:

That was very helpful.

Thanks

[/font]SHORE EXCURSIONS Shorex team on A was outstanding while O was disorganized & unhelpful. Ship tours on A were excellent value-for-money. A provided complimentary shuttles in ports where the ship docked away from city centre.

Would Azamara be higher up on your list on a very port-intensive cruise where their shore excursion team's organization and tour values might tip the scales in their favor?

Would Azamara be higher up on your list on a very port-intensive cruise where their shore excursion team's organization and tour values might tip the scales in their favor?
Probably not. The quality & value of ship shorex are not big factors for us when we decide on cruises. On port intensive cruises, we usually make independent arrangements & rarely take ship tours. We like doing our own thing, either privately or with a few Roll Call folks. In fact, we never would have experienced any shorex on O or A had we not had very generous OBCs to use. But we do appreciate having shuttles provided, particularly in less accessible ports. So kudos to A.

Food will always trump shorex for us! O takes that category hands-down.

We are O cruisers and took a AZ cruise this spring and think that AZ was great and including the food( we are foodies and are very experianced travelers).It is our opinion that the AZ experiance was a BETTER cruise than our last O cruise!

We did NOT see a "floundering" cruise line( people are pissed that AZ is no longer offering their cruise prices at 50% off the O prices). We are going to select either O or AZ on future cruises based on $ and schedules.

Just one guy's opinion!

Archived