Oceania- NEVER AGAIN !!!

When you read the AZ board I ask that you consider that the source of people's complaints about AZ stem from the company raising prices NOT about performance.

Many posters are now complaining about everything and anything with the hope cruisers will not book the ships full so AZ will bring the prices back to their previous levels to stimulate bookings!

Their orginal prices were close to 40-50% less than O for very similiar cruises. That was a going out of business strategy!

Just got off both an A and O cruse. O is way better than A especially the food. There is really nothing special about their speciality restaurants. The A ship we were on was tired and we never saw anyone working on it. On the recent Black Sea cruise on the Nautica someone was cleaning, painting and washing areas of the ship all the time.

Many thanks PAULCHILI.

Believe it or not, I read every new Oceania and Regent post everyday.

I choose sparingly and hopefully, wisely when to post and comment.

I believe that CC is the most unbiased, unfiltered and direct source of what guests really like, dislike, want etc. and we take your thoughts very, very seriously.

It doesn't matter what I think, or what others in the office think (we're not the ones bookinbg a cruise), what matters is what you guys think and I sincerely appreciate all your comments, both positive and negative.

We're not perfect, but as a friend of mine who runs our tours in Rome often says, "we strive for perfection and settle for excellence".

FDR[/quote

And you certainly do FDR. Having sailed both Azamara and Oceania, we find there is really little comparison. Thank you for taking a real interest in what we think. Looking forward to our Insignia cruise in Nov and our Marina cruise next August.

Do you think Oceania will ever host our Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle party? We have enjoyed them on at least four other ships, even getting to meet the Captain and Cruise director who stopped by to welcome us.

FYI, on your profile your year of birth is 1993. You certainly have achieved a lot in a very short time (LOL):)

Interesting thread! We've booked on O for "Footsteps of History" Venice to Barcelona in Nov and looking forward to it. Have to say that this thread is a real eye opener, although I'm reassured by the many rebuttals.

A friend who works as a brand consultant tells me that he always advises his clients that people like Cruisingallthetime are really providing free consultation, giving insights to potential image problems that would otherwise have cost, oftentimes, tons of money for markets surveys and focus groups just to uncover the exact same problems.

He/she may have expressed views in an excessively strident manner, but wouldn't anyone who is disappointed and angry do so? I wouldn't dismiss the OP's thread as a rant.

His views on the lack of a shuttle, especially at remote ports certainly bears looking into by the bigwigs at O. If cost is an issue, charge for the shuttle. Most would be happy to pay up for the added security of knowing that they'd never be stranded if the port is far from town.

De La Cruise

QE2 Round the World 84

Costa Serena Western Med 08

QM2 Round the World 09

Having just been a lurker on this thread, here is my two cents - I agree with the need for shuttles. I would gladly pay for them. Waiting in long lines for cabs is not fun. I still remember that shuttle in Sorrento and how happy I was to see it- there were no cabs around and I did not have the exact change for a public bus and it was about 100 degrees and humid and I really did not want to climb that hill. It is funny, the cruise was several years ago and I have wonderful memories, but the shuttle is one of the most vivid.

Interesting thread! We've booked on O for "Footsteps of History" Venice to Barcelona in Nov and looking forward to it. Have to say that this thread is a real eye opener, although I'm reassured by the many rebuttals.

A friend who works as a brand consultant tells me that he always advises his clients that people like Cruisingallthetime are really providing free consultation, giving insights to potential image problems that would otherwise have cost, oftentimes, tons of money for markets surveys and focus groups just to uncover the exact same problems.

He/she may have expressed views in an excessively strident manner, but wouldn't anyone who is disappointed and angry do so? I wouldn't dismiss the OP's thread as a rant.

His views on the lack of a shuttle, especially at remote ports certainly bears looking into by the bigwigs at O. If cost is an issue, charge for the shuttle. Most would be happy to pay up for the added security of knowing that they'd never be stranded if the port is far from town.

De La Cruise

QE2 Round the World 84

Costa Serena Western Med 08

QM2 Round the World 09

Glad to see you will be joining us on the Insignia in Nov. Please join us on our cruisecritic rollcall.

I vote for shuttles where the center of town is a long or difficult (like Sorrento) walk away. We would not mind paying a nominal price ($5 more or less) each way. On HAL a couple of years ago, they had a shuttle in to Olso. Most of the time we take ship's tours, but we had been to Oslo on a prior cruise and just wanted to wander around.

We are interested in both Oceania and Azamara, and something I just read on the Azamara board gives a nod to Azamara, in our opinion....apparently starting January 1, 2011 there will be no more indoor smoking at all. None!

You can enter port or starboard of the forward lounge and there won't be any smoke at all.

I would love it if Oceania would limit smoking further, too.

I am so sorry you had such an unhappy experience on Oceania. I am nowhere near the seasoned cruiser you are but have had a wonderful experience with Oceania and am scheduled to do it again next week.

You are right about having to pay for the laundry -- ridiculous -- but we did not notice at any of the times we ate at the specialty venues that the place was only half full. As a matter of fact on all four occasions (we were in a penthouse suite) both places seemed to be completely filled. I really don't understand that.

Once again, I am sorry you had such an awful experience, but I can assure you that that is not always (or even generally) the case from my experience and that of a number of my friends.

I have also cruised about 20 times. I post very infrequently as I usually have better things to do. I have also posted negative comments about other cruise lines. This is called " Cruise Critic" after all. I find that a number of replies are critical of my posting as if I was lying. If their experience was different, that they should post it without shooting the messenger. I find it extremely important to read the critical views of other passengers. Please keep up the good work, thank you and may God bless you and your family.

BaltiGator,

I see you are form Baltimore and you have a Gator as an avatar.

Perry Hall Gators ?

No, but it does catch my eye whenever I see "Gators" and realize it's a high school's mascot.

My avatar is the Florida Gator "Gator head" logo. Probably I'm violating some copyright law by using it here. Certainly the high schools that use that exact logo are violating copyright law. But fortunately the University of Florida is a lot less rapacious than, say, Disney Corp about such things. :D I'm sure they are aware that many high schools have, um, borrowed the logo. Some have altered it a bit, though probably still in violation of copyright law. But no worries. I won't snitch. ;) Go Perry Hall Gators! :D

No, but it does catch my eye whenever I see "Gators" and realize it's a high school's mascot.

My avatar is the Florida Gator "Gator head" logo. Probably I'm violating some copyright law by using it here. Certainly the high schools that use that exact logo are violating copyright law. But fortunately the University of Florida is a lot less rapacious than, say, Disney Corp about such things. :D I'm sure they are aware that many high schools have, um, borrowed the logo. Some have altered it a bit, though probably still in violation of copyright law. But no worries. I won't snitch. ;) Go Perry Hall Gators! :D

Many schools get permission to use the College Logos.....

What's it say about the times when School Districts need to have an entire "Legal department" ?

Oh well.... back to the topic......

Hi All (first time poster):

Well, everything that could be said, in this thread, has been said (more than a few times). My question concerns the food in the MDR; it sounds like the menu has few choices. Would a vegetarian be able to get a decent meal there or should I stick to the Terrace where it seems like you can pretty much pick what and how much you want? Is that a pretty fair assessment? Also, we like a glass of wine with our dinner; how expensive is that?

Never been on Oceania but thinking of taking that Insignia cruise on Nov. 10. Nothing I've read would disuade me so far (don't gamble, don't go to the entertainment or art auctions, no Internet, sauna, etc.) Love to sightsee, eat, and relax with a book on the balcony or the library. and walk 2 miles around the deck each day for exercise.

Will I be disappointed?

Previous cruise experience: Alaska with HAL and Amsterdam to Vienna with Uniworld. Both of which we loved.

Thanks!

Bopeltzman,

Welcome to CC. You prove the point that not all first time posters post a "rant" :D

From my perspective, it would be very hard to be disappointed on an Oceania cruise. As others have mentioned, few things in life are perfect, but Oceania tries to come as close to that as they can.

While I am not a vegetarian (in fact, I am quite the opposite of that), I am sure you can either find something on the menu or make advance arrangements with the maitre d' to accommodate your palate. In the back of my mind I seem to remember that there is always a vegeterian option on the menu, but I always ignore that, so I may be wrong. Others may have better information about vegetarian options.

I think you should give Oceania a try and then decide if it is for you or not.

My question concerns the food in the MDR; it sounds like the menu has few choices. Would a vegetarian be able to get a decent meal there or should I stick to the Terrace where it seems like you can pretty much pick what and how much you want? Is that a pretty fair assessment?

You'll have no trouble eating vegetarian in the MDR...There are several choices and they usually include some vegetarian appetizers soup and entrees...

And, if you talk to the waiters and explain, they will see to it that you can get things adapted to your needs--like having salads served without the non-veggie ingredients...

As to the questions above about college logos...Obviously I use one...and I am a lawyer...

Here's my take: The colleges don't care unless:

1) You are making a profit off its use--using it commercially or competeting with a product they sell or license...or

2) Using it in a matter that would tend to damage their reputation...

The limited use as an avatar on your signature here is not something they care about or would waste their time and resources pursuing...Even if they sued you and won, there would be no damages to collect...

Hi Bopeltzman. I am not vegetarian but there is a vegetarian entree dish daily and I believe a pasta entree as well. The MDR posts the dinner menu after lunch every day on the wall outside the MDR. You can check it out and then decide before dinner if you want to head to the Terrace.

First, I'd like to thank the OP for taking the time to share opinions, and they were clearly labeled as such. Also, for your grace under fire with the responses dismissing YOUR opinion.

We have been considering Oceania. I have food issues, and inflexibility with meals would be a disaster. I doubt that is mentioned in the brochure.

An even bigger disaster would be sailing with people who feel the need to attack someone's opinion.

There were a few posts that showed reason and understanding, and I hope to encounter those posters on another line some day.

Happy sailing.

Cinnamon Seahorse,

OP is certainly entitled to his/her opinion (as we all are).

However, his/her opinion is hardly the definitive and final verdict on Oceania's food or dinning - just one opinion. No more - no less.

I feel quite certain that if NCL, RCCL, Princess, HAL and Celebrity (among others) were able to handle your "food issues and inflexibility with meals" (your quote) so far, so would Oceania be able to handle that at least as well if not better; and that despite of and independently of the fact that you feel that the OP was "attacked".

JMO :)

First, I'd like to thank the OP for taking the time to share opinions, and they were clearly labeled as such. Also, for your grace under fire with the responses dismissing YOUR opinion.

We have been considering Oceania. I have food issues, and inflexibility with meals would be a disaster. I doubt that is mentioned in the brochure.

An even bigger disaster would be sailing with people who feel the need to attack someone's opinion.

There were a few posts that showed reason and understanding, and I hope to encounter those posters on another line some day.

Happy sailing.

Cinnamon Seahorse: I like your log in/member name! I'm sorry you have negative impressions from this thread. I do want to mention there is always a place to eat at the bkfst, lunch and dinner times at one or another venues. I don't know what your "food issues" are so perhaps they could not have been taken care of.

As you write, so do I.

Happy Cruising

Hi All (first time poster):

Well, everything that could be said, in this thread, has been said (more than a few times). My question concerns the food in the MDR; it sounds like the menu has few choices. Would a vegetarian be able to get a decent meal there or should I stick to the Terrace where it seems like you can pretty much pick what and how much you want? Is that a pretty fair assessment? Also, we like a glass of wine with our dinner; how expensive is that?

We had occasion to sail with someone who was a strict vegetarian, and every day the chef would send her a menu for her approval and she was happy almost all of the time. You can get most anything you want and they always try to accommodate you...whether you want a baked potato instead of mashed --no problem!! In fact on our last cruise on Nautica in June, there was a cooking glass and vichysoisse was prepared by the Chef and it was being served in the MDR. We were eating in Toscana and to make a long lovely story short, I got a bowl of vichysoisse served to me there. As I said, you can get almost anything you want if you ask nicely!!

You'll have a great time!!! Arlene ;)

Archived