Oceania- NEVER AGAIN !!!

Whether one agrees or not, one has to appreciate hondorner's well composed, good natured and persevering effort in making such detailed rationalizations on this board through the years. This is an effort we should all give credit for.

Port shuttles - I don't care if I have to pay for it. I agree with those who say the line should provide shuttles in every port where it's practical to do so and alternative transportation to the places of interest is either costly or not readily available..
As usual, Paulchili is right and wise. We agree. We remember in 2004, when we arrived at Monte Carlo on board the Regatta, we had to tender, and we were left at the landing, to find our own way, walked a fair distance on unpaved ground to get to a local bus stop on a street to take the bus to go downtown. Docked right beside our landing was the Silver Cloud, with minibuses to take their passengers around. Honestly, we were envious. If there were shuttles for Oceania, even if there was a charge, we would appreciate it.

You are one of the very few posters that actually gets it. I have always thought that in America, if you express your opinion in an open dialogue or review site such as this, that it would be respected as such, and not immediately attacked just becasue someone doesn't agree with your findings or opinions. For example the post by StanandJim is one such example. They have nothing to say other than being sarcastic and rude to someone who posted something just because they disagree with the poster's comments. Frankly, I find their post to be the most offensive and childlike post on this site. For their information, Crystal is not really much different in pricing than is Oceania. Crystal includes in their pricing several shipboard allowances so when you calculate it out, they are really not much different. However, they do provide complimentary shuttles into each town if not in walking distance, and do permit you to select where you would like to eat- including the specialty restaurants- at all times, and do charge half the O price for the use of the internet. There is no dining restriction and furthermore, you can always order special meals for the next evening in advance should you wish to do so. We were not permitted to do this on O. And- Yes- they do charge something like $20 or $30 to use the speciality restaurants, but when you're paying close to $1000 a day for the cruise, I guess another $20 or $30 isn't really very much to pay for having your choice of any specialty restaurant at any time, is it ?

Again- thank you for your post and your courtesy. A few posters on this site can learn from you.

I know this has been discussed, but I really feel if you had not included this statement, "We have been on many, many cruises (over 60) with various cruise lines. We just took our first on Oceania Regatta and it was BY FAR the worst cruise we ever took.", your opinion/review would have been respected. It really seems that by saying this and your title, you were trying to be confrontational! Hopefully, you learned something, too!

JMHO

As usual, Paulchili is right and wise. We agree. We remember in 2004, when we arrived at Monte Carlo on board the Regatta, we had to tender, and we were left at the landing, to find our own way, walked a fair distance on unpaved ground to get to a local bus stop on a street to take the bus to go downtown. Docked right beside our landing was the Silver Cloud, with minibuses to take their passengers around. Honestly, we were envious. If there were shuttles for Oceania, even if there was a charge, we would appreciate it.

meow,

Thank you for the compliment, however, it was not my quote.

Nevertheless, I do agree with the sentiment expressed by it as well as that by you. If shuttles were always available (even for a fee), passengers would have a choice to use them or not.

Cheers!

Whether one agrees or not, one has to appreciate hondorner's well composed, good natured and persevering effort in making such detailed rationalizations on this board through the years. This is an effort we should all give credit for.

Thanks for the kind words, meow. But, I imagine few have to fortitude to read through all the words of my treatises.

The highest compliment I have ever been paid on this or any other forum was when FDR said I was fair to him and the cruise line. Not cheerleading or creating mayhem, just fairness.

Welcome back Don..happy to see your name on a reply again. I have one more cruise and then I will be on the Marina roll call and we can discuss meeting and greeting..regards to Betsy and thank her for keeping me informed on your progress..

Life without travel is like reading a book without opening the cover..

Jancruz1

Welcome back Don..happy to see your name on a reply again. I have one more cruise and then I will be on the Marina roll call and we can discuss meeting and greeting..regards to Betsy and thank her for keeping me informed on your progress..

Life without travel is like reading a book without opening the cover..

Jancruz1

Thanks, Jan. Now, Stu and I -- and you and Betsy -- have even more in common. Life is Good.

Interesting thread.

I will look into the shuttle bus situation. We do actively debate this topic internally every season and so far, have decided to do what we do.

No changes on the horizon as to dining, its damn good the way it is.

We are studying feasibility of having "full feature shows" beginning sometime in 2011.

Speed of internet should be much faster as we have just doubled (in the last 30 days or so) the bandwidth across the fleet and installed new computers.

$2 laundry, wet saunas vs dry, etc., requires no commment from me.

As to cleanliness, that is a pet peeve of mine and will NOT tolerate the practice/behavior cited and can only hope and believe that it was an isolated case.

FDR

We are studying feasibility of having "full feature shows" beginning sometime in 2011.

FDR

That only becomes possible with the Marina, with a real theatre instead of a cabaret lounge. It is ironic that on the opposite, Silversea is losing its theatre with the newbuild Spirit.

FDR,

Thank you for the update and the good news about the internet. I know that it will make many people happy.

I am not surprised that this thread caught your attention - you are still the only CEO that actively monitors CC (to our knowledge), thus showing keen interest in what we, the customers, think.

By your occasional posts you are letting us know that you are listening to us, that you do care and that you are still working on getting things to be as good as they can be.

Thank you!

Many thanks PAULCHILI.

Believe it or not, I read every new Oceania and Regent post everyday.

I choose sparingly and hopefully, wisely when to post and comment.

I believe that CC is the most unbiased, unfiltered and direct source of what guests really like, dislike, want etc. and we take your thoughts very, very seriously.

It doesn't matter what I think, or what others in the office think (we're not the ones bookinbg a cruise), what matters is what you guys think and I sincerely appreciate all your comments, both positive and negative.

We're not perfect, but as a friend of mine who runs our tours in Rome often says, "we strive for perfection and settle for excellence".

FDR

Many thanks PAULCHILI.

I believe that CC is the most unbiased, unfiltered and direct source of what guests really like, dislike, want etc. and we take your thoughts very, very seriously.

It doesn't matter what I think, or what others in the office think (we're not the ones booking a cruise), what matters is what you guys think and I sincerely appreciate all your comments, both positive and negative.

We're not perfect, but as a friend of mine who runs our tours in Rome often says, "we strive for perfection and settle for excellence".

My thanks also for taking the time to let us all know, once again, how client oriented you and Oceania are. O is still the cruise line of choice for us but we are concerned that there are no long cruises being offered in 2011. The Grand Circle thirty six days this April-May was ideal for us and we look forward to more of same.

Again thanks for staying tuned in.:)

I always look forward to your posts, Don. You're one of the reasons that we want to sail Oceania. When you posted photos of Regent's Navigator, we had a great idea of what to expect. You were right on!:D

You have an honest and gracious way of stating your opinions. Keep it up!!

Thanks to everyone for your kind and thoughtful replies to my questions. I did not quote everyone because that would be excessive, but I do appreciate each reply.

BaltiGator,

We always eat early when they first open the MDR for several reasons; one of them is that we like tables for 2 and there are only a few "coveted" tables for 2 that are not lined up with other tables for 2.

We rarely eat dinner that early. However we do live in a city, so we are used to "bistro style" dining where the tables are practically on top of each other. We're friendly people, but sometimes we just want to dine alone. And there's a huge difference between sitting down at a larger table, where socializing is more or less expected, and sitting down at a table inches from the next one, where you might enjoy a moment or two of cross-conversation, or even a whole meal of it, but there's no certain expectation either way.

Might I say first, and briefly, however, that most of the "attacks (which I did not see) and the "dripping sarcasm (which I not only saw, but in which I participated), resulted from the tone set by the OP in his or her first post.

I understand. There is also something to be said for not stooping to that level even if others have. I don't mean to lecture you; you're an adult who can decide for yourself what kind of response is warranted. Just bear in mind that "sideliners" like me are much more likely to be informed and possibly even convinced by responses that rise above the fray.

These tables are indeed close to the neighboring table, and would have been a very legitimate source of disappointment by the Original Poster on this thread that could have been reduced or solved if the poster had been reasonable in the manner of their complaint.

I have been seated at these tables, and they are close enough to each other for it to be a matter of choice -- and possible discomfort at intruding -- to have normal conversation between the tables. It can be embarrassing to have to decide whether to treat the closely adjoining (but not abutting) tables as conversationalists or privacy seekers.

Again, to us this is just urban "bistro style" dining. I have been amazed over the years at some of the highly private information we have overheard (whether we liked it or not) when sitting next to others who have evidently become even more desensitized than us to this style of dining.

That does not dismiss individual tastes, and I have seen complaints that the food on Oceania was "too bland" and "too exotic" (on the same ship on the same evening in the same restaurant, but I don't think that was your question. Is it "5 Star" or "6 Star" or whatever that means? Heck, I've gotten an order of Mac 'n Cheese at TGI Fridays that I considered ambrosia, so who can say what "5 Star" means to you or me? It will certainly be a bit different that a land-based restaurant due to logistics and health restrictions, but it WILL be among the best food AT SEA.

Good, that's what we're looking for. Not expecting 5-star, which as you point out is subjective anyway. Just a couple of notches about the "banquet" quality meals we have mostly experienced on other lines - the kind that remind me of hotel convention dinner food. It's generally palatable, and intermittently fairly good. But after a week or more, it tends to get old.

Finally, a word about shuttles. It's not an important subject to me, as I like to walk, or have made my own arrangements for a port. However, in 57 days aboard, we have only been one port, the port of Recife, Brazil, in which the nature of the port was so industrial that we were not permitted to walk through the dock yard -- and a shuttle was provided by the local authorities.

I can't imagine anything being useless than a shuttle in, for example, Barcelona, where, if you are docked at the World Trace Center, you walk out of the front door onto Las Ramblas, perhaps the most famous pedestrian walking street in the world. Other ports may require shuttles, and it may just be a matter of being beyond my experience.

We walk too. Just about everywhere. Many ports, though, fall between the two extremes you describe. One can indeed walk to the interesting areas, but the walk itself may not not particularly interesting, and it may be time-consuming. (A half hour is a short walk to us, but if we only have a few hours in port, it may also be a precious half hour.) Sometimes we walk on the outbound part but want a quicker return. Sometimes taxis are plentiful and cheap, sometimes not. Shuttles are fairly standard on most lines and fairly useful in many ports. I just think Oceania may be missing the boat (sorry for the pun) on this item. And again, for those who say they don't want the cost of their cruise raised by this service, I'm happy to pay whatever Oceania wants to charge on a per-trip basis.

I'd be happy to answer any of your other reasonable questions, if you have the patience to read my answers :rolleyes:.

My posts tend to wax on too, so no worries!

Interesting thread.

I will look into the shuttle bus situation. We do actively debate this topic internally every season and so far, have decided to do what we do.

Now this is impressive. Never mind other CEOs not participating in CC; it's rare to get a response from any representative of the line.

Thanks for your comments, FDR. Please think about those shuttles. Consider a trial program in just a few ports where they may be most useful and see how it goes.

Hi Baltigator. I loved your post. You write to elegantly and sanely. But to answer your questions: we have sailed three times on Oceania and have another cruise scheduled in 2011. We have never sailed another line so we are not good candidates to speak to how one line compares to another but I will try and answer your questions from our limited experience.

MDR: My husband and I only dine at tables for two. In the MDR, the tables for two are lined up next to the port and starboard windows in a set of three across and are indeed close together (you cannot walk between them). We do not have a problem with this. We say hello to our tablemates and and then go on with our meal. Sometimes we chitchat between the courses - depends on the people sitting next to you.

I never found the MDR overly noisey but perhaps if you are sitting in the middle of the dining room and next to a large group the noise level is higher. I was surprised to hear from another poster that there were other tables for two that had more room - live and learn.

The wait time for the MDR depends on the time you go and the nature of the cruise. Our first two cruises were in the Med and very port intensive. On port days with late sail times, you never waited. Our last cruise was through the Panama Canal and had a lot of sea days (I think 6). There were wait times on sea days of maybe 5 to 10 minutes but we do not eat until after 7:30 pm. Can't let the food intefere with happy hour which is 5 to 6 pm.

The menu in the MDR is posted everyday. If I recall, there is usually about 5 entrees available and always a vegetarian option as well. The menu changes every night in the MDR. The menu in the specialty restaurants are fixed and do not change. There were enough options on the MDR menu to make it difficult for us to decide what to order. The food is very good. The only problem was with the fish. I think it is frozen and we are from the Northeast and are use to our fish fresh. It wasn't bad just not great. I would write in my journal every day what we had for dinner. I don't want to bore the good posters on CC with a list of our chosen entrees but they never repeat. The breads are phenominal and so are the desserts.

We never had dinner on the Terrace but I believe the Terrace menu follows the general theme of food that is available in the MDR for that day. We have always been able to get more than 2 reservations in the specialty restaurants, however, my husband prefers the MDR. Sometimes we would just walk pass the specialty restuarants on our way to the MDR and ask if there was availability and we would get in.

Shuttles: We have only been to two ports where there were shuttles offered - Sorrento and Corsica. The shuttle in Sorrento is run by the the town not Oceania. In Corsica, we were suppose to dock in Bonifacio and ended up in another town due to wind. We were provided a free shuttle and I do not know if was from Oceania or the town.

I agree with you that shuttles should be provided but I will add a caveat. You really only need a shuttle where the distance from the ship is far from the port entry or public transportation. This happened only twice to us: Livorno and Sicily. Due to available space at Livorno the ship was docked in the commercial section and it was very, very far from anything. The ship should have definitely arranged a shuttle. All the other times, Ocenaia either tenders or docks very close to the town or public transportation so it isn't really necessary to have a shuttle. I would have liked to see a shuttle in Sicily since we were there on a Sunday and the only way to Taormina was a taxi. Oceania should have arranged a shuttle that day as well. I realize sometimes port changes occur at the very last minute and arrangemens cannot be made. I think it is the nature of a smaller cruise line that is able to tender versus dock that makes it difficult to arrange transportation since ports can be changed at the last minute. It begs the questions of what does Crystal/Regent/Seaborn etc. do when they have to change ports at the last minute?

I hope I was able to answer some of your questions. I think you will enjoy your cruise no matter who you sail on. Enjoy.

I was surprised to hear from another poster that there were other tables for two that had more room - live and learn.

Maybe I shouldn't have given away "our secret":D

Seriously though, there are a few other tables for 2 that are more private. Our favorite one is by the aft window with great views in a fairly quiet area (I am sure my DW also knows the table number - I leave those details to her).

Just trying to remember all the places I've been where a shuttle to somewhere central or interesting would be required:

Fort Lauderdale (I know, most people just embark and disembark there)

Malaga (just a short one, but perhaps dockage varies)

Lisbon (definitely, but again depending on which dock)

Porto (ships dock nowhere near the historic city)

Athens (maybe difficult, but perhaps a shuttle to the metro?)

Rio (maybe, but to where?)

Nice?

Yalta (depending on dock)

Constanta Romania(definitely)

Fortaleza Brazil

Edinburgh

We recently returned form our first Oceania cruise. As with all of the cruises we've been on we found pros AND cons on all of them. Were we totally satisfied w/ Oceania...no. Will that prevent us from sailing with them again...no. We had very high expectations, based on posts from CC and our daughter and son in law who took their honeymoon cruise 4 years ago on Oceania and LOVED it. Even they,(they were on the cruise w/ us) were a bit disappointed in some of the changes, but again, that will not prevent them from sailing with O again. The most disappointing thing for us was the food, all four of us. Not a deal breaker, but we expected better. We cruise for the itineraries....not the shows, the "restaurants" or size of the ship. Although I like the smaller size. When we plan a cruise, usually one each year, we plan on the expenses..ie, computer pkgs. shuttle service costs, etc. We don't expect freebies all the time and when we get them, the bottled water, complimentary soda we're thrilled. It is what it is and we love to cruise....there is always going to be alot of good,a little bad and sometimes a little ugly. Now if I could only get rid of my horrible swollen feet and ankles while traveling....life on a cruise ship would be GREAT!!!!;)

Seriously though, there are a few other tables for 2 that are more private. Our favorite one is by the aft window with great views in a fairly quiet area (I am sure my DW also knows the table number - I leave those details to her).

Thanks for the info. We really have absolutely no problem with the table for two by the port and starboard windows and are very happy if we get the table for two right at the window. What I am really surprised at is how few people take their breakfast in the GDR - it is truly grand and we do it all the time. Everyone seems to head to the Terrcae. The GDR is so relaxing and elegant and a great way to start the day.

These were affectionately known as the "Honeymooner tables" by the GDR staff when we were on the Nautica back in April. We would always ask for the same table # (or the equivalent table type) and would gladly wait to get one if not readily available. For us, it was worth waiting for a few additional minutes...it was never a long wait.

Like your DW, I DO recall those table number(s)...;)

Kathleen

These were affectionately known as the "Honeymooner tables" by the GDR staff when we were on the Nautica back in April. We would always ask for the same table # (or the equivalent table type) and would gladly wait to get one if not readily available. For us, it was worth waiting for a few additional minutes...it was never a long wait.

Like your DW, I DO recall those table number(s)...;)

Kathleen

Kathleen,

Fortunately for both of us, next time we'll see you will be on the Marina.

Otherwise there could be fisticuffs :D

See you then,

Paul

There are also some tables for two in the central raised area. They are by the railing. We have several favorite tables but do not remember the numbers until we are on the ship.

As with others, if we were at the close tables we exchanged pleasantries with the next table and got on with our meal and conversation. Most people seem to respect privacy. That being said, we enjoyed several conversations over dinner with adjoining tables for two.

Most fellow travelers understand the "rules"

As with others, if we were at the close tables we exchanged pleasantries with the next table and got on with our meal and conversation. Most people seem to respect privacy. That being said, we enjoyed several conversations over dinner with adjoining tables for two.

Most fellow travelers understand the "rules"

That is true. There is an unspoken etiquette that seems to be intuitively understood and respected at these close tables for 2. If your neighbour catches your eye with bright interest and curiosity you can start a conversation or politely smile back and turn to your partner. This sets the tone for the meal. :)

Many thanks PAULCHILI.

It doesn't matter what I think, or what others in the office think (we're not the ones bookinbg a cruise), what matters is what you guys think and I sincerely appreciate all your comments, both positive and negative.

FDR

I too, am impressed that FDR spends valuable time crusing the forum and reading the posts.

To me.. it speaks VOLUMES as to the level of commitment of upper level management.

I say.. "BRAVO".

I have spent nearly 40 years working in the steamship industry and have even managed the shore side operations of the QEII on several occasions.

I only saw this type of involvement in the line when it was, perhaps a maiden voyage into the Port.

Thanks FDR.

A good question, and one I think that has a simple answer.

As someone who is very close to booking an Oceania cruise for Sept 2011, I have been reading the Oceania threads with much interest while not posting yet.

The phenomenon of this thread - and I think "phenomenon" is a fair word for it - happens from time and time in just about every cruise line section of CC. A relatively new member posts a scathing review. Loyal customers swarm to the line's defense, slashing and hacking away to refute every one of the OP's claims. Some people remain on the sidelines and comment on how these "attacks" shouldn't happen. And along the way a few reasonable people ignore the hyperbole and provide some useful information, though one has to wade through an awful lot of other...stuff...to find it.

In most cases the OP paints the problems too broadly, using overly harsh language and often exaggerating details. Perhaps that was also the case here. Why are the first posts in these cases almost always such rants? Maybe it's just the nature of venting, or of wanting to tell a more robust story. Or maybe it's the challenge of reporting a hugely negative experience in the very section of CC where it is most likely to be met with disbelief and denial.

But often, many of the rebuttals are just as guilty of excess. Some of the replies in this thread drip with sarcasm, condescension, and overly zealous praise of the line, while offering little compassion. The OP had an unhappy cruise. Hardly the end of the world, to be sure, but still, why not just accept that much at face value? We don't all have to agree about what disappoints us in life. We can still agree that disappointment, well, sucks.

Now to your question, Mr. Horner. The reason, I think, that these threads get so much attention and cause so much concern is that there is so little unabashedly negative commentary on CC in the first place. People report all kinds of small annoying/imperfect experiences, the sort of problems that don't usually affect their overall enjoyment of the cruise. But mostly, Cruise Critic is a fine and happy place. As it should be! So when someone comes along to report that their cruise went catastrophically wrong (at least from their own perspective) well that's sort of more interesting, isn't it? It's why people rubberneck as they drive past a car wreck even though they are slowing down traffic. They can't help themselves, they just have to take a peek at the carnage.

I want to thank the people in this thread who chose to rise above all the nonsense to make some comments that are useful to someone who has never sailed Oceania. From among those, two issues stand out that I'd appreciate some further discussion about:

(1) The dining situation - I fully understand that my opportunities to dine in the specialty restaurants may be limited. I assume Oceania has good reason for such policy - probably to prevent overcrowding. But what about the main dining room? Just how noisy and crowded is it? How long does one typically wait for a table for two at, say, 7:30? How much variety is there on the menu each night, and also from night to night?

One of the main reasons we are considering an Oceania cruise is for a significantly better dining experience than on lines like HAL and Celebrity. If we're going to be disappointed in that regard, we'll probably pass.

(2) Port shuttles - I don't care if I have to pay for it. I agree with those who say the line should provide shuttles in every port where it's practical to do so and alternative transportation to the places of interest is either costly or not readily available. Oceania can charge whatever it needs in order to fully recoup the costs of reserving, organizing and operating such shuttles. It will still amount to a pittance per person. But please don't just dump us a couple of miles from the center of town and make us wait for a taxi (and have to search for one to get back again too). That's pretty substandard IMO. We've used (and paid for) shuttles on HAL and Celebrity that were very convenient. We've also not used shuttles in many ports. We think having that option should be part of the deal. So what's the real deal with Oceania?

The rest of the OP's concerns, to me, indicate a serious mismatch between the customer's interests and the line's capabilities. I agree with those who say the OP should have done some more research. (That's why I'm here!) ;)

To the OP - I'm really sorry you had such a bad cruise. Hopefully your next one will make up for it! :)

Happy sailing everyone! :D

I would have to agree with WriPro and BaltiGator, enough already.

Folks, not every ship is what people think it will be, no matter how much research you do. The OP had complaints, many others jumped all over the poster like marauding army ants (or whatever) and we've had multiple pages of back and forth. Each of us has our likes and dislikes -- read the OP comment, and think before you post. Otherwise we ARE all guilty of harping on one of our neighbors, wouldn't you say? My opinion, case closed -- please?

Archived