Let talk about the restaurant reservation policy

caribbeansun

Do you like or dislike O's current restaurant reservation policy?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like or dislike O's current restaurant reservation policy?

• Yes, I like it
    • No, I don't like it
    • I can never make up my mind

I think O's policy is great. Actually, I love Tapas, and if the reservation of my choice is not available, I do not worry because Tapas is fabulous. Actually, all the dining venues are fabulous. O is right on track.

Thanks for the information on making reservations before you board the ship. I thought I had found a way to double our nights eating at the specialty restaurants, but guess not.

There are plenty of restaurants and you all (well, almost all) seem to recommend the MDR so we will be happy.

One last comment--or should I say question: does the number of nights on the cruise affect the number of times you can dine at specialty restaurants? We will be on the 18 night inaugural cruise aboard the Marina.

We are hoping that we make lots of friends from CC and we will all enjoy trying the variety of dining venues with others. I have never had a bad cruise so guess I am a happy camper who approaches all vacations with a positive attitude. I do try to make sure we don't cruise on ships or lines that wouldn't fit our life style, however.

Mom C

One last comment--or should I say question: does the number of nights on the cruise affect the number of times you can dine at specialty restaurants? We will be on the 18 night inaugural cruise aboard the Marina.

Mom C

Yes - the magic number is 18. At 18 days and above you get one additional reservation (for each category).

See post # 12 on this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1237960

NB These are the current rules for the R ships; nobody knows for sure how this will translate to Marina, but you probably will get an additional reservation at 18 days on the Marina as well :)

We will be doing our first O cruise on 3/11/2011 (Beijing - Hong Kong). All dining venues look great. When on Regent, we actually preferred eating at La Veranda. The Terrace restaurant on Nautica sounds very similar. Can anyone advise if indeed this is similar type setup. Also, is Terrace ONLY outdoor dining? This may be a problem as March may be quite chilly. Thanks.

On my Regatta trip last November, there were several times, I dined alone enjoying my own Company. I was not in a PH this trip and had absolutely no probelm getting additional nights in Polo or Toscana. I prefer to eat early and there was always a few empty tables.

Yes, the Terrace and the Tapas are somewhat alike, and no, not all seating is outside. Since O is so port intensive, we have sooo often enjoyed Tapas. (Hate to recommend it so it doesn't get overcrowded - ha ha. ;))

Yes, the Terrace and the Tapas are somewhat alike, and no, not all seating is outside. Since O is so port intensive, we have sooo often enjoyed Tapas. (Hate to recommend it so it doesn't get overcrowded - ha ha. ;))

Actually the daytime Terrace Cafe literally transforms into Tapas on the Terrace in the evening (both share the same space) so they are more than somewhat alike, they are identical (give or take the chair covers, the table cloths and the other bells and whistles that they add at night).

TerraceCafeBuffet.jpg

We will be doing our first O cruise on 3/11/2011 (Beijing - Hong Kong). All dining venues look great. When on Regent, we actually preferred eating at La Veranda. The Terrace restaurant on Nautica sounds very similar. Can anyone advise if indeed this is similar type setup. Also, is Terrace ONLY outdoor dining? This may be a problem as March may be quite chilly. Thanks.

Depends on which ship you were on with Regent. If it was Navigator, the Terrace and La Veranda will be almost exact;y the same, with the exception that the Terrace on Nautica has more outside tables (and more

inside tables as well., because Navigator is slightly smaller.

Both venues are more nearly full buffet service; both offer custom pasta service (with a slight difference -- on Navigator you give your order to the waiter; on Nautica you get to watch the dish being "built, both offer excellent service in that you do not have to carry your choices to the table, yourself. Further, on Nautica, you point to what you want and it is dished for you -- you no not handle the food until at table (with the minor exception of breads and dinner rolls).

I have not yet been on Voyager or Mariner but my understanding is that while offering partial buffet service, they also have a bit more of a full service ordering system that is not possible on Navigator because the area is so much smaller.

Other than the fact that we have grown to appreciate full, lingering service in the dining rooms, and have occasionally found it more difficult to get a table in the buffets, we find no degradation of food or service in the buffets and frequently choose it when the weather is favorable for dining al fresco.

Thanks to all for info. on Terrace restaurant (and pic). Looks very similar to LaVeranda on Regent Voyager and Mariner. As I mentioned, this became our favorite dining venue especially after long days of sight seeing etc. As was the case with Regent, I notice a great deal of concern regarding xtra reservations at Polo & Toscana. Are they really that special ? I get the sense that food will be be quite good at MDR and Terrace. We are really looking forward to sailing on O.

Rich & Karen

I am curious to see how this will all play out on the Marina with 1250 passengers vying for reservations. Yes, there are two more specialty restaurants but only about 120- seats more for 600 extra passengers.

Good point, wripro. I also will be interested in whether I will have the opportunity to dine at each of the four specialty restaurants on Marina next June or if I will have to choose two from the four possibilities.

The current policy has worked fine for us, particularly for my cruise this year when I could book in advance on-line (so I got even more time to enjoy Venice) rather than stand in line at the GDR front desk after boarding to make my Polo and Toscana reservations. I hated wasting time in that line, which also forced us to board before we wished because my spouse prefers to board in the late afternoon so as not to waste any possible sightseeing hours in our embarkation city.

This will be our 1st Oceania cruise and it will be for 24 days. Could someone tell me how far in advance we can make the specialty restaurant reservations prior to sailing? What would our allotment be for this length of cruise? We will be in a deluxe ocean view cabin. Thanks.

This will be our 1st Oceania cruise and it will be for 24 days. Could someone tell me how far in advance we can make the specialty restaurant reservations prior to sailing? What would our allotment be for this length of cruise? We will be in a deluxe ocean view cabin. Thanks.

From the Oceania Cruises FAQ:

Reservation Rules

When to make your reservations:

• Your booking must be paid in full.
  • The online dining reservation system closes 14 days prior to your sailing's embarkation date.
  • Owner's and Vista Suite can make reservations 90 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.
  • Penthouse Suite can make reservations 75 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.
  • Concierge Level Veranda staterooms can make reservations 60 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.
  • Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom can make reservations 45 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.

Number of reservations:

• Owner's Suite, Vista Suite, Penthouse Suite and Concierge Level Veranda
    10-17 Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant
    18+ Sailing Days: 3 reservations at each restaurant
  • Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom
    10-17 Sailing Days: 1 reservations at each restaurant
    18+ Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

Number of guest per table:

• All reservations have a maximum of 8 guests per table.

From the Oceania Cruises FAQ:

Reservation Rules

When to make your reservations:

• Your booking must be paid in full.
  • The online dining reservation system closes 14 days prior to your sailing's embarkation date.
  • Owner's and Vista Suite can make reservations 90 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.
  • Penthouse Suite can make reservations 75 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.
  • Concierge Level Veranda staterooms can make reservations 60 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.
  • Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom can make reservations 45 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.

Number of reservations:

• Owner's Suite, Vista Suite, Penthouse Suite and Concierge Level Veranda
    10-17 Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant
    18+ Sailing Days: 3 reservations at each restaurant
  • Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom
    10-17 Sailing Days: 1 reservations at each restaurant
    18+ Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

Number of guest per table:

• All reservations have a maximum of 8 guests per table.

What a marvelous effort! This post will be a terrific reference for those questioning the reservation set up, and personally I intend to "cut and paste" it, every time that the issue comes up.

Of course, once the Marina sails into the mix, everything may have to be rethought, but that still leaves us with more than 6 months of clarity .

Thank you, Friscorays! :D

So my take on the poll.

I see that there is a number of cruisers not happy with the system. Which is strange because if you voice concern you get blasted. If I was managing O, I would take it under advisement (just like the shuttle discussion on another thread) as a possible area for positive change.

Think about it, we all read all the review and posts (even in this thread) where people have received additional reservations. Yet if you were not to (i.e. receive just the the guaranteed amount) after several days of presenting yourself at breakfast to the "make a reservation desk" to take any opening, you would feel put upon which most people do not like no matter that the alternative of the GDR or Tapas is acceptable.

Very interesting poll, thanks to Caribbeanun.

So my take on the poll.

I see that there is a number of cruisers not happy with the system. Which is strange because if you voice concern you get blasted. If I was managing O, I would take it under advisement (just like the shuttle discussion on another thread) as a possible area for positive change.

Very interesting poll, thanks to Caribbeanun.

81% to 13% is pretty one-sided. I cannot see changing the rules to please 13% and make 81% unhappy - can you?

The shuttles are a different story - I bet a poll on that would be even more one-sided (for the shuttles). Now, when it comes to free vs pay - that may be a different story. If I knew how to set up polls, I would do it.:)

So my take on the poll.

I see that there is a number of cruisers not happy with the system.....

Interesting take. My take is that over 8 in 10 are happy with the systemwhile just over 1 in 10 are unhappy with it. I can't see a reason to change something that people are overwhelmingly happy with.

For those that are unhappy with the current system, it would be interesting to start a pole with your proposed new system and see if people would view the proposed new system as an improvement over the existing system.

Those truly unhappy with the reservation system should choose a cruise line where they charge $20 0r $30 per person for each meal in the alternate restaurants and they would surely get in as often as they like.

If you think in terms of your favorite home restaurants, how many times in two weeks would you want to go there? It really wouldn't be too special if you ate there more than once a week.

If you think in terms of your favorite home restaurants, how many times in two weeks would you want to go there? It really wouldn't be too special if you ate there more than once a week.

Not if you ate the same thing each time. However, there are several items on the menu that we like and therefore "need" to go more than once (or twice):D

Also, one has lot more choices of favorite restaurants to go to at home.

Archived