Ultimate Ship Tour

BoardwalkBabe

Hello. I am contemplating this for my upcoming Sea Princess cruise($150pp seems like a lot!). Could someone tell me exactly what the engine control room is? Do you actually get to see any of the engines? My travel buddy won't go if he doesn't get to see the engines. Also, do you get to see the galley on the UST? It is not listed on Princess' description of the tour. Thank you.

No, no engines in sight.

Just a room full of computer monitoring.

On the Coral, we were taken to see the upper jet turbine. Assuming the Sea Princess uses a similar propulsion model, there are no engines per se. The motors are electrical and not accessible while the ships are in the water. The ship uses various types of turbines to generate power and that propels the engines.

See what you learn on the UST?

The Engine Control room is the central hub for operations. From there they can control almost every aspect of the ship, right down to lowering the water level in the Lido pool.

Hello. I am contemplating this for my upcoming Sea Princess cruise($150pp seems like a lot!). Could someone tell me exactly what the engine control room is? Do you actually get to see any of the engines? My travel buddy won't go if he doesn't get to see the engines. Also, do you get to see the galley on the UST? It is not listed on Princess' description of the tour. Thank you.

We did the UST on the Island last January. You do tour the galley and the food storage areas. We also were served a beverage while they explained the routine. Very interesting. I was a little hesitant about spending the $150/person, but worth every penny - even if the robes put us over the weight limit on our luggage.

On the Coral, we were taken to see the upper jet turbine. Assuming the Sea Princess uses a similar propulsion model, there are no engines per se. The motors are electrical and not accessible while the ships are in the water. The ship uses various types of turbines to generate power and that propels the engines.

The Sea Princess does not have gas Turbines. :)

Does your cabin category have any play in getting a slot?

I don't think so. When we did it, we just got on the ship as early as possible and went to the Purser's Desk right away to sign up. We were the 2nd and 3rd on the list.:)

On our recent UST we visited and were shown around;

Princess Theatre Stage, Back Stage and Dressing Rooms etc

Laundry (an eye opener!)

Ships Hospital

Photoprinting shop

Printing shop

Engine Control Room

Dry Goods Store

Galley (including Chocolate covered strawberries and champers!)

Funnel Area

Back of the MUTS screen and controls

and we finished up on the Bridge with the Captain and on duty crew for canapes and champagne ( or soft drink) and a tour and description of all the Bridge control gear.

Length of tour 4+hours

Awaiting us in our cabin when we got back after dinner were;

Bath Robe (top quality one)

Chefs Coat

Photos taken during the tour

Princess note paper jotter pad printed with our name.

Degree of satisfaction with tour? EXCEEDED ALL EXPECTATIONS!!

Kiwipete

Have done this tour twice.

Once on the Island last September ( hubby opted out). Instead of the funnel climb up we went to where they hold the anchor in the front of the ship. Quite impressive. Also went into the dressing room and got to feel how heavy the clothes were and see how they move about to change and get back on stage with several cast members. They also opened up the stage and brought things up like a piano and moved scenery. That was really incredible.

On the Island we only had 4 people in our group, so very glad it wasn't cancelled.

It was a more intimate tour with the smaller group. They had a medical emergency so we didn't get to tour sick bay, but the MD came up to talk to us on the bridge.

Also we had champagne during the galley tour with some snacks. On the bridge we actually had more champagne or choice of rum punch, and fresh fruit , cheese and sandwiches. Got to sneak a peek at where the officers eat and where the crew eat. They explained alot about how they try to meet all the cultural needs of all the crew as well as making them feel like a family at sea. It was a very unique experience. They were pulling out the big metal containers that hold the luggage in preparation for disembarquation. We toured the wine vault/ cheese locker and booze room. The dry goods area had the most room as they stock up in Vancouver. Every department was very excited to discuss their roll in the seamless operation that we take for granted.

Did the second tour on the crown last November. Bigger group I think 12 or 14. It was nice to be able to compare the difference b/t the ships and how they laid out the tour. Both were equally unique and enjoyable. Glad I did them both, hubby did this one.

3 Fluffy bathrobes later. Three chef jackets...unique photos and a new found appreciation for what it takes to make our cruise enjoyable.

Do the small ships offer this? (last time we were on Pacific Princess was 2007 and this is newer) We're going on Pacific Princess again next year and I just read this thread to my husband and he got excited. We had a bridge tour on the Westerdam last year and were in heaven!! Thanks.

The gifts can vary according to ship (or maybe even tour). For example, they gave us a photo album, where another tour on a different ship did not get that but got stationery. We also received flowers since we stopped at the florist, but apparently they are not always open on the tour.

The robes are the Spa version and sell in the gift shops for $90 each. They are very nice. As far as I know, the chef's coats are not sold independently (never saw them offered at least). You also get 4 photographs taken at various points along the tour (can vary but seem to be engine control room, bridge, theater and turbine room most common) in photo holders.

You also receive canapes or snacks in the galley with mimosas (or OJ), and champagne and more canapes when you meet with the captain.

That said, the experience is worth it on its own if you are interested in how things work.

Can anyone explain in detail the gifts they give? if you were to buy them what would the cost be? Is the chef coat and rob nice? Pictures would be great.

Thanks.

We did this on Coral last year and it was worth every penny - the gifts alone made up the cost. There were about 25 people sign up so the did it on two days. Without question it was the very best money we have EVER spent on a cruise.

Like many we enjoyed the laundry and all the food storage - dry, chilled and freezers - the most. The hospital and bridge we have had the fortune to tour on several occasions by personal invitation.

Do the small ships offer this? (last time we were on Pacific Princess was 2007 and this is newer) We're going on Pacific Princess again next year and I just read this thread to my husband and he got excited. We had a bridge tour on the Westerdam last year and were in heaven!! Thanks.

Yes, it is offered on the Ocean Princess. I assume the Pacific and Royal also have it.

Can I bring my camera and take photos along the way? I don't really like having my photo taken but tend to take many photos of things when I travel. I'm thinking there might be security issues on the bridge, but otherwise - ??

Thanks in advance!

Liz

Unfortunately, you are NOT permitted to bring your own camera and take pictures. It was explained to us that we were seeing several areas of the ship that contained "proprietary equipment and processes" (or "trade secrets") and, for that reason, personal photographs were not permitted. This is why they send the photographer along to take photos for everyone. As someone else said above, we must've gotten about 10 8x10 color photo's as part of our "goodies" after the tour. And, no worries, for those concerned about the huge pictures, you can merely scan them and then print them at any size you choose. I should also note that others have said on their tour they received a smaller sized print, but more of them. This may vary ship-to-ship.

No personal photos are permitted 'below decks' for the reasons noted above among others. However you can take photos from various vantage points along the way (for example from the funnels or out the bridge windows - or at least we were allowed to).

Can I bring my camera and take photos along the way? I don't really like having my photo taken but tend to take many photos of things when I travel. I'm thinking there might be security issues on the bridge, but otherwise - ??

Thanks in advance!

Liz

Based on what I've read before on these boards, if you bring your own camera there will be parts of the tour you can take photos and other parts where it's not allowed. If I'm lucky enough to get on this tour on the Star next year I plan to bring my little point and shoot camera and keep it in my pocket and respect whatever rules are given to me. I'll take photos where I can, and rely on the ship's photographer for the rest.

Cruzin-K - It seems to vary from ship to ship. When we took the tour on the Island, the letter we received said no photographs. When we got to the Bridge, they told us we could take pictures. DH did have a camera in his pocket so was able to take pictures, but most people didn't have a camera since the letter indicated pictures would not be allowed.

I made sure that I read the Patter carefully during our cruise but I never saw anything about an Ultimate Tour. I don't know if this tour just wasn't offered on our cruise, but if there was one it must be REALLY exclusive since we never heard or saw anything about it. Too bad because I had told my sister about it and we were planning to get reservations for it. :confused:

I made sure that I read the Patter carefully during our cruise but I never saw anything about an Ultimate Tour. I don't know if this tour just wasn't offered on our cruise, but if there was one it must be REALLY exclusive since we never heard or saw anything about it. Too bad because I had told my sister about it and we were planning to get reservations for it. :confused:

Just off the Golden (rt:Seattle-Alaska). We knew about the the UST and there was a blurb in the Patters the first or second day, but you had to go to the passenger services desk and ask about signing up. We went and asked about it around 2:30 and it was 'closing at 4PM'. There were 12 slots, 9 were taken and we figured no one else would sign up before 4 and we were right.

We got the invite the day before the tour (last full day-sailing to Victoria, BC). By then we decided not to go- $300 for both of us. We have been on previous Bridge Tours and Galley Tours and the thought of lugging home (2) $90 terry robes didn't thrill us.

We went back to cancel before the letter came, but only the 11 had booked including us so no one missed out by us cancelling out.

Archived