Where do you shop-plus size?

Cristallo

I'm borderline - not quite plus. I love Talbots, Nordstrom and Lands End for work & casual. But I also get stuff at Target:p Depends on your style, your budget, and what kind of stuff you're looking for.

I am the anti LaneBryant/Avenue/AshleyStewart etc.

I love Torrid, but they are SO expensive. Right now I only sop at Torrid for denim, since its the only denim that fits long. And Old Navy for basics.

Asos Curve has everything from day to night, casual to office to fancy. The prices are reasonable, customer service superb, and best of all the fit is beyond anything I could imagine. No crazy sizing here. Everything I made in my first purchase last month using the size guide fit perfectly. Great quality and cut.

Pure Energy is Targets I guess Junior Plus size line (i think to compete with faith 21 and ON). They have more trendy items, sun dresses etc.

I will say though that depending on what size you are depends on where you can shop.

For instance I'm bigger then the average "plus" so I cannot shop at places like Torrid (which does have nice clothes), Lane Bryant, Faith 21, Old Navy and Target. :(

The bigger you are, the less options you have. I have no choice but to choose clothing from places like Fashion Bug and Avenue (which to go to Avenue is a 2 hour drive). Or I buy online which is a PITA if it doesn't fit cause then you have to send it back and even then most likely have to pay extra shipping charges.

Has anyone ever tried CJ Banks? They are the plus sized version of Christopher & Banks. I love their clothes!

They are on the pricier side, though (at least for me) and I only buy the items that are on sale. I actually bought a very, very nice nautical (anchor) themed sweater that at regular price was over 70.00 and I think I bought it for about 11.00, it might have even been only 7.00!

And that type of thing usually never happens to me! Happy shopping everyone!

Then you are better off then me. You can try most of the places that everyone has mentioned I'm sure. ;)

It seems easy but in my case I'm short, I'm top heavy(to the point that my torso is 2 sizes smaller then my chest area) and I have no hips but junk in my trunk. Most clothes swim in the waist/hips and are snug in the chest/butt and are too long. :(

I'm so glad I started this thread I'm looking at stores I didn't even know made my size.

I like Dress Barn Woman for work and casual (but still nice) clothing, but it is pricy, even on the sale rack usually. If I'm looking for something cheap just to run around in, I check at Fashion Bug (although there, too often I find, I get what I pay for, meaning very poorly made clothes that fall apart). Lately, with the budget pretty tight, I've been shopping at TJ Maxx, Ross Dress for Less and Marshalls. I've found beautiful sundresses and cocktail dresses, mostly for under $25, and some for under $10.

I'm pretty consistently a size 20 or 22, but depending on all the variables, can wear 18 or need a 24.

It seems easy but in my case I'm short, I'm top heavy(to the point that my torso is 2 sizes smaller then my chest area) and I have no hips but junk in my trunk. Most clothes swim in the waist/hips and are snug in the chest/butt and are too long. :(

I'm so glad I started this thread I'm looking at stores I didn't even know made my size.

Well don't feel too bad. I'm short too. I have to wear petite pants and even then some are too long. For me I'm constantly pulling up my pants because once they stretch-that's it no going back. My shirts often shrink and are not long enough to hide my biggest parts, then if they are too long I look even shorter and bigger. :( I hate trying on clothes. lol

Edit: Also wanted to mention that The Burlington Coat Factory has plus sizes as well.

I'm a older, short apple-shaped woman and find it tough to get clothes. Why do designers think that I want blouses cut to my waist? The girls are quite prominent - I don't need to flaunt them!...That said, I actually wear WalMart (and have gotten compliments) and some Fashion Bug (although they're getting away from the plus size clothes). For dressier stuff, I buy online from QVC and HSN. For the dreaded cruise formal night (and I DON'T look good in formal stuff - but I know it makes others feel better if I wear formal garb :rolleyes: :D :D ) JC Penney's online around the holidays will hold great sales of their special occasion outfits - you can find some things at their stores, too. Just look for the product reviews so you don't get something that strews glitter all around!

I've noticed that the online version of JJill has 1x and 2x and 18-20 sizes. And, Athleta (another in the Gap family of clothing lines) has 1x and 2x in some of their clothes. They have some nice sundresses. I used to be plus-size and I swore by both of these stores. What I like about them is that they have the exact same outfits in "regular" and "plus" sizes, not special "plus" ones.

Thanks for the great ideas of different stores to check out......are all Old Navy the same or???? Can't seem to find plus sizes at ours.........have checked 2 in 2 different cities....

Sharon

Many stores have cut back or eliminated their floor space for plus size clothing and it can only be found online. That might be the case with your Old Navy stores - I haven't bought their stuff in ages because it doesn't fit me properly.

Thanks for the great ideas of different stores to check out......are all Old Navy the same or???? Can't seem to find plus sizes at ours.........have checked 2 in 2 different cities....

Sharon

To the best of my knowledge Plus size is only sold online.

I'm a older, short apple-shaped woman and find it tough to get clothes. (and I DON'T look good in formal stuff - but I know it makes others feel better if I wear formal garb :rolleyes: :D :D ) !

dress for yourself - not others ! On formal nights, I usually wear black dress pants with a fancier top then usual. For me, to be comfortable, fashionable and attractive is the key. Jewerly always dresses it up also.

Archived