Logistically speaking...

I recently read that there are no longer trays in the Wind Jammer. How does one carry a plate of food, a drink, dessert, and silverware to his/her table?

My mind woke me up in the middle of the night and this is the thought that came to me. :confused:

Agreed. You don't even have to get drinks, at least in my experience, because there are servers who will come by and take care of that for you. I don't try to get dessert at the same time as the rest.

Edit - The "Agreed" was with SeaUs and not with cb at sea. I don't find the buffet to be a pain. I like both, depending upon my mood and the amount of time I want to spend at lunch. Sometimes I go for a quick bite at the WJ; other times I enjoy a relaxed lunch in the dining room.

There haven't been trays for a long time..In the WJ the waiters will also ask and get your drink and come back by to refill if that's what you want..We don't always need or want to be waited on..That's why it's nice to have a choice..Certain people on this board think the WJ is below them...I say "great" less problems finding a table for us..But it's funny that they will always be the ones who will have to walk through and grab one more dessert after their MDR dinner...:rolleyes: Don't talk the talk if you sneek and walk the buffet walk..;):D

We find our table before we get our food, one of us stays with the table while the other gets food. While waiting a server will come by and get our drinks for us. By the time we both have food we also have drinks. I would rather do the buffet get a little of everything, or alot of one thing, then wait in a dining room for someone to bring me food.

It amazes me how many people get food first and then wander around looking for a table. Just seems backwards.

It amazes me how many people get food first and then wander around looking for a table. Just seems backwards.

It's because of all those inconsiderate folks who are holding tables, but don't even have their food yet. :p

We find our table before we get our food, one of us stays with the table while the other gets food. While waiting a server will come by and get our drinks for us. By the time we both have food we also have drinks. I would rather do the buffet get a little of everything, or alot of one thing, then wait in a dining room for someone to bring me food.

Sometimes it is quick to get what food you want, other times it takes a while, besides we all like to eat together. So, we get our food, then find a table, eating together. A waiter will stop by to get our drinks and when we are ready for dessert we take turns and taste what each brings back. When we are done we get up so that the next group (with full plates) can have a place to sit. This way we are using our table the entire time are butts are in the seats.

I recently read that there are no longer trays in the Wind Jammer. How does one carry a plate of food, a drink, dessert, and silverware to his/her table?

My mind woke me up in the middle of the night and this is the thought that came to me. :confused:

The cruise lines (most of them) figure out that the more times you have to get up the less food you will waste. With trays people tend to take more than they can eat plus trays have to be wasted and that's takes water and energy. People take less food and saves on food cost and keep cruise fare down. However, the plates are oversized so you will be able to fill your plate as much as you like and go back as many times as you wish. So this is what I do...I go to the WJ and first get my silverware wrapped in napkin. I place mine upright in my pants pocket so both my hands are free. Get a plate, select food and they head over to the beverage center. Grab a drink and then find a table. Eat, go back for seconds. Lastly go back for dessert. Usually the waiters come around for drink refills. Works fine for me. :)

For those of us traveling solo, there's no one to stay with the table, so we don't have much choice but to do it the "backwards" way. :)

You put the silverware in your pocket, the plate in one hand and the drink in the other hand. I like to take my food back to my balcony, and that is how I do it.

What´s the problem:confused: I can easily have silverware and plate in one hand and a drink in the other. And of course waiters are there to bring you something to drink as well.

Apparently you and I are both acrobatic jugglers with unnatural talent. That's what I do, too.

:)

Apparently you and I are both acrobatic jugglers with unnatural talent. That's what I do, too.

:)

So obviously none of you are travelling with children.

Will someone please explain to me how I will be able to carry food for myself, my 5 year old and my one year old, knowing I can't very well leave them ALONE at the table while I go running back and forth? Yes, I can wait for my husband to help me, but I suppose I'm out of luck if he's not available (like if he's on an excursion?)

I was able to fit everything I needed on one tray, while my son pushed our stroller with our daughter. We were fine for breakfasts and lunches this way. With no trays available, this will make my life just that much more awkward.

Also, how do disable passengers cope without trays?

If it was me by myself, I certainly wouldn't have a problem. But isn't RCI meant to be family-friendly?

Will someone please explain to me how I will be able to carry food for myself, my 5 year old and my one year old, knowing I can't very well leave them ALONE at the table while I go running back and forth? Yes, I can wait for my husband to help me, but I suppose I'm out of luck if he's not available (like if he's on an excursion?)

I was able to fit everything I needed on one tray, while my son pushed our stroller with our daughter. We were fine for breakfasts and lunches this way. With no trays available, this will make my life just that much more awkward.

If it was me by myself, I certainly wouldn't have a problem. But isn't RCI meant to be family-friendly?

Eat in the dining room. :)

I think I will, as much as possible. The dining room on Carnival wasn't available on port days, so if RCI has similar timings, I'll be looking for easier ways to manage.

Yes, it's a little thing, but it's a big little thing to some of us!

The MDR is closed most port days, so may I suggest room service to your cabin? Will be much easier and your little guys might actually wind down enought to rest after lunch (I know I used to love it when mine would nap after lunch:D)

The MDR is closed most port days, so may I suggest room service to your cabin? Will be much easier and your little guys might actually wind down enought to rest after lunch (I know I used to love it when mine would nap after lunch:D)

Maybe this will work for us - I'll have to check out the room service menu. Timing wise, my two don't tend to want to nap AT ALL during the afternoons, although we can sometimes coerce them around 5pm (we always have late seating for dinner).

Generally though, I want them out of the cabin as much as possible... there's not a lot of room in there to move around, and we all like eating in the buffet (lots of people to watch, and an opportunity to get them to try new things).

Maybe I'll just bring my own tray! :rolleyes:

I don't think there's a wrong way or a right way..table first or food first..Just so long as you get up and leave when you're done eating..That is my biggest complaint..When I see people obviously finnished who continue to just sit there taking up space with no regard for anyone else.....Not that anyone on this board would do that...But how about all those others..Even when the WJ staff has to make an announcement..their still oblivious.....:rolleyes:

Maybe this will work for us - I'll have to check out the room service menu. Timing wise, my two don't tend to want to nap AT ALL during the afternoons, although we can sometimes coerce them around 5pm (we always have late seating for dinner).

Generally though, I want them out of the cabin as much as possible... there's not a lot of room in there to move around, and we all like eating in the buffet (lots of people to watch, and an opportunity to get them to try new things).

Maybe I'll just bring my own tray! :rolleyes:

You have every right to enjoy the selection in the buffet..Just ask for help..I'll bet you'll be surprised at how much you will get from the staff....No need to settle for the limited roomservice choices in a small cabin with your children..it's your vacation as well as their's..ENJOY !!:D

Thank you Ashland!

Sometimes I'm used to having to handle things all on my own, and forget to ask for help. I was getting a bit upset about this, but I'll have to make a point of that when I'm enjoying my holiday. As it is a holiday... and having lunch in a cabin with two small kids is not.

Sometimes the simplest answers are the best :)

I'm not a parent, so perhaps I'm coming from a place of complete ignorance. But, wouldn't a 5 year old be able to hold their own plate? Certainly you'd have to help put food on the plate. But the act of walking it around to the various stations and to a table? Also, would a 1 year old be eating the buffet food? At the very least they wouldn't need a full plate of their own food.

Regardless, even if I'm completely wrong about these things....a port day at lunch in the buffet will be fairly quiet. So, the staff working that shift should be a bit less busy and very able to give you a hand if you asked.

1) 5 year old holding their own plate of food = big mess on floor.

He's better than he was, but he certainly couldn't manage anything that required balance (like not dropping fries on the floor). But even if he carries his plate, who's going to carry his cup, silverwear and napkin?

2) My infant would have a portion of foods in a salad bowl.

So, if I'm on my own, I have to carry:

2 plates of food

1 bowl of food for baby

silverware and napkins

2 drinks

1 sippy cup

Never mind dessert selections (not usually taken - we'd get ice cream out on deck afterward), or soup, or anything that didn't fit on one of those plates.

If I'm lucky, I try to score a table near the drinks refill, so I can step away from my table for a brief moment and fill the cups, but I certainly can't take my eyes off my kids.

Yes, sometimes my husband is available to help me, but often I travel with my kids by myself and am pretty resourceful, but hey, I can only do what I can do! I only have 2 hands and one set of eyes. BUT... even if he is helping me, if one of us is watching the kids, and one is getting food, how is one supposed to then juggle FOUR PORTIONS by themselves without a tray?

Yep, I'll be asking for help! Why should I struggle? I'm on holiday too!

Archived