Live from the Emerald - Bummer!!!

jonikal

Well, dont want to enter the fray on the compensation issue, but I will sure disagree on the statement that "there isnt anything there" on Princess Cays. I love that day at the beach, which is beautiful, and love swimming for a few hours there. Judging from the two times I was there, and watching others enjoy that water and beach, Im not alone.

I am SO very sorry for all your problems. I can't imagine being at sea in the Caribbean in this heat with no power! Wait - yes I can - I remember hurricanes Katrina & Rita down here! We had no power for 18 days! Absolutely awful!! :(

I sincerely hope everything will go smoothly for the rest of your cruise. Maybe you all will get a nice OBC from Princess. Hey - one can hope, huh?

PS: We are on the Emerald in October, so I hope they get the kinks worked out.:)

Since it is PC would a credit be given? If it was St Thomas or any other island I can see a credit regarding port charges and all that but this is Princess' own island. Maybe a nominal credit ok but I can not see $100 bucks PP. But just my opinion...

Teri

Whilst I'm sympathetic to the loss of a visit to Prncess Cays I fail to understand why it should prompt compensation claims.

Mechanical breakdowns happen and people should understand that on a ship, mechanical mishaps can never be ruled out.

No doubt there will be a lawyer on board threatening to sue for a full refund because his whole holiday has been completely ruined.

Now sitting in my trench with my Helmet strapped on ready for the flack.

You may be right but it is good PR if they do compensate. Much better then just giving the impression, Oh well, tough luck. I know it always gives me a warm feeling for the company to hear they went beyond what is required to keep passengers happy.

Whilst I'm sympathetic to the loss of a visit to Prncess Cays I fail to understand why it should prompt compensation claims.

Mechanical breakdowns happen and people should understand that on a ship, mechanical mishaps can never be ruled out.

Princess normally compensates when the missed port or delay is because of the ship malfunctioning. Weather related delays or missed ports are totally out of their control and usually compensation is not extended for bad weather or rough seas.

Although, on our last cruise from Hawaii to Tahiti, rough seas delayed our arrival time in Bora Bora by several hours, and even then Princess compensated everyone onboard with a token shipboard credit (I think it was $50 per person). Something they did not have to do, but it was a very nice gesture and kept the passengers happy even though they missed several hours in a port they sailed a long way to visit.

We were on Ruby Princess when the captain decided at the last minute not to stop at Princess Cays.....we had an unexpected sea day....found out (months later!) when we booked our next cruise that we each had been given a $25 credit, which we used towards the deposit. Princess told us it was for the missed port.

I think it is good PR for Princess to offer some time of compensation for the lack of power in those four hours, regardless of whether Princess Cays was canceled.

From all reports it looks like they plan to do something....

"A spokeswoman for the line, Karen Candy, also confirms the ship has skipped its scheduled port call today at Princess Cays. The rest of the ship's itinerary is unaffected, Candy says, adding the line soon will have details on compensation for passengers affected by the incident." USA Today

We missed Princess Cays due to rough seas in March. We received a refund of the port charges on our accounts. I think it was around $15 per person, but I'd have to find our statements to make sure.

In 2006, we were late arriving in St. Thomas on the Sun Princess due to engine problems, rough seas, and answering a May-Day call. The captain sent a letter to passengers letting us know we'd been given $100 per person onboard credit.

On the Grand Princess in 2003, we lost power for about 15 minutes. I had gone upstairs from our cabin and was heading back down when it happened. They had emergency lights that illuminated the corridors. Fortunately, I avoid elevators. I talked later with people who had been stuck in one.

An onboard credit might be nice, but Princess will be taking a big hit in the profits department as most of the pay for play stuff on that "island" is owned or contracted by the line itself. The real losers are the Bahamians that sell in the marketplace because no ship means no work

Lester

Sorry this happened to you!! Hope it doesn't ruin your cruise. We just got off yesterday and had an excellent cruise with absolutely nothing to be upset about :)! (Review coming as soon as I get my land-legs back--lol!)

There is a 12:14 p.m. update on the USA Today article. It has added:
[I][COLOR=blue]"A spokeswoman for the line, Karen Candy, also confirms the ship has skipped its scheduled port call today at Princess Cays. The rest of the ship's itinerary is unaffected, Candy says, adding the line soon will have details on compensation for passengers affected by the incident."[/COLOR][/I]
[I][COLOR=#0000ff][/COLOR][/I]
[COLOR=#0000ff][COLOR=black]So, it looks like they will get some type of credit. I also love the private island stops and would be disappointed if it were skipped. That being said, I still wouldn't expect to be compensated[/COLOR][I].[/I] [/COLOR][COLOR=black]I'm just happy I am on a cruise and someone is waiting on me - not the other way around. :D[/COLOR]

[quote name='jonikal']

[SIZE=4]An hour out of FLL our engines quit! We were a floating paperweight for 4 hours as they tried to repair generator and computer problems, [/SIZE][/quote]

THis would really suck if you were flying!

[SIZE=4](An hour out of FLL our engines quit! We were a floating paperweight for 4 hours as they tried to repair generator and computer problems), [/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]if you were flying and the engines quit!!!unfortuneately you would be diving and then floating!!:([/SIZE]

Man if you think about it. This could have actually been pretty deadly. Don't have some tropical storms lingering out there? Just imagine being a sitting duck for one of those with no power to be able to power up the engines to manuever around it. Possible very bad situation. Just saying.

[quote name='catergirl'][SIZE=4](An hour out of FLL our engines quit! We were a floating paperweight for 4 hours as they tried to repair generator and computer problems), [/SIZE]
[SIZE=4][/SIZE]
[SIZE=4]if you were flying and the engines quit!!!unfortuneately you would be diving and then floating!!:([/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Aaah! I get it now :D thanks for explaining! Am obviously a bit slow tonight, think it is almost bed time ;)

Archived