Live from the Emerald - Bummer!!!

jonikal

I'm pretty easy going on this comp thing, but it sounds like the passengers missed out on dinner. I might expect something for that. I wonder how far along the food prep was? Dang, this thing looks more expensive the more I think about it.:eek:

[COLOR=Purple]Sorry to hear about the engine problems and your cruise missing Princess Cays. Hope the rest of your cruise goes well for you. I am looking forward to reading your post. We will be cruising on the Emerald in Nov.[/COLOR]

With the power out was there a problem keeping ice from melting in the bars???:confused:
In the dining rooms: did anyone have to switch from white to red after ordering seafood because the white wasn't chilled enough.
I can just imagine all kinds of problems!

[quote name='Rhitson88']Man if you think about it. This could have actually been pretty deadly. Don't have some tropical storms lingering out there? Just imagine being a sitting duck for one of those with no power to be able to power up the engines to manuever around it. Possible very bad situation. Just saying.[/quote]

That would also be my first concern.

[quote name='Pappy5591']Darn those hamsters...how dare they go on strike!!![/QUOTE]

"Attention Passengers, this is the Captain. I have good news and bad news.

The bad news is that the Engines have died....

The good news is that we have oars.

If all the passengers from the even numbered staterooms will proceed to the port side of the boat ..."

[quote name='Pia1913']The last time we missed a port because of mechanical difficulty, we received $100/PP.[/quote]

On the Celebrity Infinity, we missed a port of call (Icy Strait Point) and we were given compensation due to their malfunctioning propulsion system based on the category we booked - basically think it was a prorated rate for the day + port charges. I think this is a fair manner of compensation. For a balcony, think it was refunded off the final price of the cruise -- $250 for the both of us as we booked a balcony. And, it was given for the current cruise, not as a FCC....so very fair all the way around. Nobody seemed the least bit angry at all.

[quote name='George P Burdell']"Attention Passengers, this is the Captain. I have good news and bad news.

The bad news is that the Engines have died....

The good news is that we have oars.

If all the passengers from the even numbered staterooms will proceed to the port side of the boat ..."[/quote]

Too funny....we had a captain on the golden that might have just come out with that. The pax loved him, he was so personable and could have gotten away with this.

Ok....I still think all pax should receive compensation...the shows were canceled, dinner was limited and they missed a port of call due to a mechanical failure. If you were to go out of town and plan on going to a movie and restaurant for dinner before you hit your comfy hotel and they didn't show the movie, no popcorn to be found and went to dinner and couldn't order off the menu, but you were still expected to pay for the evening out and so you just go to your hotel room with a candy bar for dinner but it is all melted because the air conditioner isn't working, so you decide to take a cold shower but no water comes out and when it does, it is brown....well, I think everyone would be singing a different tune if they were expected to pay the bill for all these services regardless if they were offered. This is what you paid for....you should be compensated for that day, regardless if you like the Princess Cays or not. We all go on cruises for different reasons .... but this is what you paid for. When they have to miss a port due to inclement weather, they at least have everything else going full bore on the ship. This is a chance you take ...but when that isn't offered, I believe all pax should be compensated for the day of vacation missed...because this is what you paid for!!

[quote name='Cruise Raider']Too funny....we had a captain on the golden that might have just come out with that. The pax loved him, he was so personable and could have gotten away with this.

Ok....I still think all pax should receive compensation...the shows were canceled, dinner was limited and they missed a port of call due to a mechanical failure. If you were to go out of town and plan on going to a movie and restaurant for dinner before you hit your comfy hotel and they didn't show the movie, no popcorn to be found and went to dinner and couldn't order off the menu, but you were still expected to pay for the evening out and so you just go to your hotel room with a candy bar for dinner but it is all melted because the air conditioner isn't working, so you decide to take a cold shower but no water comes out and when it does, it is brown....well, I think everyone would be singing a different tune if they were expected to pay the bill for all these services regardless if they were offered. This is what you paid for....you should be compensated for that day, regardless if you like the Princess Cays or not. We all go on cruises for different reasons .... but this is what you paid for. When they have to miss a port due to inclement weather, they at least have everything else going full bore on the ship. This is a chance you take ...but when that isn't offered, I believe all pax should be compensated for the day of vacation missed...because this is what you paid for!![/QUOTE]

Stuff happens.

[quote name='CrusinAgain']When we missed Newport last year due to the NorEaster we received a $11 refund for port charges. I wonder if weather related and mechanical related received different compensations?[/QUOTE]Yes. Different set of circumstances. With a mechanical issue such as the ship had, which affected food, plumbing, etc., that impacts the onboard cruise experience, which is essentially contracted for when you pay for your cruise, more than a port missed due to weather or sea conditions. There are never any guarentees that a ship will make a port whereas its guaranteed that youll have food and working toilets. :) The passengers should, and will, receive compensation.

[quote name='Pam in CA']Yes. Different set of circumstances. With a mechanical issue such as the ship had, which affected food, plumbing, etc., that impacts the onboard cruise experience, which is essentially contracted for when you pay for your cruise, more than a port missed due to weather or sea conditions. There are never any guarentees that a ship will make a port whereas its guaranteed that youll have food and working toilets. :) The passengers should, and will, receive compensation.[/quote]

Pam, that's all I was saying! I know stuff happens and wouldn't even be upset if this happened to me unless, of course, I had a wedding planned or something like that, if a storm hit and we were in the middle of it and our safety was in danger ...or if it went on for days and days. Now, that could get ugly. However, I agree with you that pax should and probably will receive fair compensation. It is the right thing to do for not providing what was contracted such as food, plumbing, entertainment, air conditioning, etc. Missing the port in this case (not for weather conditions) should also be compensated. I love the private island days -- something I miss out on when cruising to Mexico, Alaska and Hawaii, which we do quite often.

I'm pretty sure it's just me, but when events happen to me like the one posted they just add to my adventure. [COLOR=darkred][I][B]As long as no one was hurt,[/B][/I] [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]I personally wouldn't care if the ship ran aground, capsized, sank or was boarded by pirates.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Pam in CA']Yes. Different set of circumstances. With a mechanical issue such as the ship had, which affected food, plumbing, etc., that impacts the onboard cruise experience, which is essentially contracted for when you pay for your cruise, more than a port missed due to weather or sea conditions. There are never any guarentees that a ship will make a port whereas its guaranteed that youll have food and working toilets. :) The passengers should, and will, receive compensation.[/quote]

I agree with Pam. Yes, stuff happens. If I miss a port, I will be disappointed but can relax and enjoy an unexpected sea day. But I expect working a/c, toilets, and food service. If they're disrupted, that's a much bigger deal.

[quote name='Cruise Raider']On the Celebrity Infinity, we missed a port of call (Icy Strait Point) and we were given compensation due to their malfunctioning propulsion system based on the category we booked - basically think it was a prorated rate for the day + port charges. I think this is a fair manner of compensation. For a balcony, think it was refunded off the final price of the cruise -- $250 for the both of us as we booked a balcony. And, it was given for the current cruise, not as a FCC....so very fair all the way around. Nobody seemed the least bit angry at all.[/quote]

When we missed a port we were given compensation as OBC; immediately. There was no distinction between catagories; all passengers received the same amount.

[quote name='cruzin-k']hey, look on the bright side. You could have rear ended a suzuki in open waters and been stuck for days :d

[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=679082[/url][/quote]

lol:)

[quote name='junglejane']I agree with Pam. Yes, stuff happens. If I miss a port, I will be disappointed but can relax and enjoy an unexpected sea day. But I expect working a/c, toilets, and food service. If they're disrupted, that's a much bigger deal.[/QUOTE]On the cruise we took a couple of summers ago on the Crown, my toilet didn't work properly for eight of the 10 days. I reported it at least 3x a day and it would be cleared out but not fixed. It wasnt until I complained to the Captain's Circle rep that something was done. (The vacuum pump needed to be replaced.) I wrote Princess after returning home and they gave me a very nice cruise credit to use. Believe me, not having a working toilet can definitely ruin your cruise.

[quote name='snydermann']I'm pretty sure it's just me, but when events happen to me like the one posted they just add to my adventure. [COLOR=darkred][I][B]As long as no one was hurt,[/B][/I] [/COLOR][COLOR=blue]I personally wouldn't care if the ship ran aground, capsized, sank or was boarded by pirates.[/COLOR][/quote]

Even Somali pirates:eek:

Archived