Star mariner program in dissaray

BumperII

On our last cruises you could only get Gold Fish in the Crow's Nest -- that's all they had.

This varies by ship.

Now that's just SAD!

We'll be bumped up to our next Mariner level early (25 days) because of the new changes. We're looking forward to seeing if it's handled properly after reading of some of the snafus.

Hubby and I were just talking about our Bermuda cruise. We never did get our tiles from that cruise, and we've been 3* Mariners since October, but we never received our 3* pins. Not that I care about the pins. But I would like the tiles. Hmmpphh.

Hubby and I were just talking about our Bermuda cruise. We never did get our tiles from that cruise, and we've been 3* Mariners since October, but we never received our 3* pins. Not that I care about the pins. But I would like the tiles. Hmmpphh.

This happened to me after my recent Alaska cruise. Call the Mariner Society number at 1-800-547-9139 to ask about getting your tiles. I got mine within days after speaking with a representative. You might ask them about the pins, too.

Thank you, middle-aged mom. I may try that. :)

I love those tiles, but I am also a little disappointed that in our past few cruises, we have received the generic tiles. I liked them better when they had the ship name on them. But that's just me.

Thank you, middle-aged mom. I may try that. :)

I love those tiles, but I am also a little disappointed that in our past few cruises, we have received the generic tiles. I liked them better when they had the ship name on them. But that's just me.

I agree. My oldest daughter gives me a HAL tile or two, which she finds in thrift stores, for birthday and Christmas presents. I have quite a nice collection of the old ship tiles.:) At our local Goodwill stores, they sell for much less than the price of a cruise:)

I agree. My oldest daughter gives me a HAL tile or two, which she finds in thrift stores, for birthday and Christmas presents. I have quite a nice collection of the old ship tiles.:) At our local Goodwill stores, they sell for much less than the price of a cruise:)

I've seen a number of HAL tiles on Ebay. Don't remember what the prices were like, but if you're looking to fill in a collection, it might be a place to look.

I'm putting together a shadow box of miscellaneous travel bits and pieces and the little tile I got on Veendam fits into one of the squares perfectly, so I was very pleased with it.

The3 Pol Clemente Champagne is awful.

On our last cruises they served you one glass of champagne and the wine stewards left the dining room. No orders were being taken for drinks -- we tried and were told that they didn't have time to do special requests.

What does "Pol" mean in the name of a champagne? Is it French for "yucky"? On QE2 they used to have a good house champagne, then they went to something called Pol Acker. It varied greatly. Sometimes OK, sometimes almost ready for salad dressing.

Thanks everyone for posting your observations on the Mariner Program. I have been sailing another line quite a bit recently and have been curious about the new benefits at Holland America. There are several things that I have missed not having sailed HAL in over a year.

We were sent the ship's photo to our cabin on the inhaugural Nieuw cruise last month. We were told it would be when we inquired at the photo shop.

The invitation to the Mariner's luncheonwas not delivered to our cabin until 10 am the morning of, and since we did not return to the cabin until after lunch, we missed it. No big deal. They delivered the tiles to the cabin later.

The bottom line for us is that the Mariner Star program has little or nothing to offer that would influence our choice of cruise options. What really matters is the overall quality of the cruise including activities, entertainment, food, lodging and ports of call.

For us the most important factor is the fabulous entertainment on the Veendam cruise to Bermuda last week. It is by far the best series of shows we have ever seen on a cruise ship. Patty, the cruise director did a fabulous job of keeping us entertained both with the shows and the activities. The great cruise experience influenced our decision to rebook with HAL. The star mariner program is of no particular significance in our decision to rebook with HAL.

We are 3 star mariners but have ALWAYS been treated well *shrug* ever since I was young.

Our history with the line is a bit different, as we are very close with a few crew members and somehow got invited to all sorts of receptions since I was in high school, I assume because of that relationship.

My last cruise on the Veendam (March 09), we were invited to 3 or 4 different receptions...I'll go to the smaller ones, not interested in the Mariner brunch, etc. I'd rather sit by the pool :-)

then again, I don't go on HAL for the free champagne and drinks, thats nice and all, but the smaller ships, great verandah rooms/uites and THE CREW is why I go.

I was not going to comment but what the heck I will put my 2 cents in :D

I totally understand what BumperII is trying to say. While on the surface this this Mariner program is quite nice but.... there is a big gap with the 3 Star Mariners. If you go your 100 day Medallion in the old program and cruised several times after that you were treated like the other medallion holders. Invited to the Pre Cocktail Party for the Medalion holds before the Marnier Lunch and often invited to more of the VIP parties. Now those over 100 days but not yet to 200 days are treated like they were when they had just 30 days. At least from what I have been reading.

DH and I have 161 days and our last HAL cruise was last summer on the Westerdam just weeks before the new program switched over. On that sailing we were seated in a special section for the Mariner lunch, had a special cocktail party prior and even had pictures taken with al the medallion holders and was given that photo. This baiscally happened on all our cruises last year before the new program. With 61 days past that 100 days you tend to get use to being treated just a bit special. It is my understanding that when we return next March we will now no longer be treated special because we are not 4 star and unfortunately it could take a while before we hit that 4 star.

So I do totally understand what the OP is saying.

The other thing that kind of upsets me is that how you can gain days by just being a Big Spender and staying in Suites. I have nothing against the Suites trust I have stayed in plenty of them but we earned our days the hard way :eek: These are true sailed days, now there will be plenty of 4 star Mariners that have less than 100 true days with HAL that because they bought their way in will be enjoying the special treatment while several that may have just under 200 true days with HAL are not treated like they use to be. :mad:

Then there are the folks who are way over the 200 days..... We are four star mariners more than three times over and have more than 600 days. I think the program shuts down and 'maxes out' too low.

I probably have 30 or so tiles in a box somewhere in my house, collecting dust - if you are looking for something specific and dont mind paying for me to ship it to you, let me know
Put them on ebay and you can get $5 to $10 each, with the buyer paying shipping. If you have some "rare" ones you might get more for them. I see someone is currently offering a Noordam I for $18.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOLLAND-AMERICA-LINE-NOORDAM-1902-1923-TILE-COASTER-/390204741561?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ada03d7b9

I probably have 30 or so tiles in a box somewhere in my house, collecting dust - if you are looking for something specific and dont mind paying for me to ship it to you, let me know

Do you have an email address that you can post? Thanks.

Hey, we just left Statendam on Sunday. We were told that there were only four '4-Star Mariners' on the boat and we just happened to be two of the four. Yes, there was a Mariners Brunch on Saturday but there was no 'pre-Brunch reception', I'm thinking due to the very low number of '4-Stars'. Understandable, no biggie! The laundry was still free:) On Oosterdam in March, we were two of a wopping total of three 4-Star Mariners.

So there we were at the reception in the Ocean Bar prior to the brunch, the three of us munching on Gold Fish:eek:, heavily outnumbered by the ship's staff (captain, hotel manager, cruise director, culinary ops manager, dining room manager, guest relations manager, Yum Yum dude, you name it!). HAL/Oosterdam's powers to be is/were probably thinking, Wow, that's pretty ridiculous, here we are, giving a reception to the 4-stars and only three peeps are here, and I fully agree!

As stated on another post, this program is still evolving and you don't know 'what you're gonna get' until you're on the dam ship. It totally, 'totally dude;)' depends on the make-up of the ship (read number and level of Mariners) as to what's going to take place.

So I do totally understand what the OP is saying.

And I totally understand what you are saying. :)

I am now a measly one star mariner with 29 days. Not that 29 days was much before but we just got over one threshold. It felt good to get the blue pin on our last cruise. I was really proud of it. :)

Now I feel that I'm being demoted and it feels bad. With the new rules I won't be a two star mariner until after our next cruise. Yes I know that it is stupid to feel this way and with 29 days I should probably just keep my mouth shut but still. :o I feel like a little child. I got something and now they took it away (although I of course still have the pin). Still.

We are 4 star (actually over double 4 star, so we can call ourselves "double 4s"?). Anyways....... we love the new program: half price wine packages, half price Explorations Cafe, free laundry, priority embarkation and disembarkation, soon-to-be-tested priority tenders. What's not to like?

However! Although we are very pleased that the medallions are being kept, we are really, really, really unhappy that the pins (silver, gold platinum) are being discontinued, according to several postings on this board. Hey, these pins are something we would actually wear! The 4-star pins are fine, but the silver, gold and platinum mean something. This may be a small quibble, but we do think this is a mistake on HAL's part. Not an expensive item, compared to the medallions and just a nice touch.

Dam!

The other thing that kind of upsets me is that how you can gain days by just being a Big Spender and staying in Suites. I have nothing against the Suites trust I have stayed in plenty of them but we earned our days the hard way :eek: These are true sailed days, now there will be plenty of 4 star Mariners that have less than 100 true days with HAL that because they bought their way in will be enjoying the special treatment while several that may have just under 200 true days with HAL are not treated like they use to be. :mad:

Lisa, I "hear" what you're saying, but from HAL's perspective this is actually the most intelligent aspect of the whole program, tying the Mariner status to increased onboard revenue. Brilliant, actually.

Then there are the folks who are way over the 200 days..... We are four star mariners more than three times over and have more than 600 days. I think the program shuts down and 'maxes out' too low.

From HAL's point of view they've got you hook, line, and sinker:) If you've cruised with them for 200 days, they're pretty confident they don't have to lure you in anymore. (Please forgive all the fishing metaphors; I feel it's appropriate in this instance. We are the fish they're reeling in:)).

Put them on ebay and you can get $5 to $10 each, with the buyer paying shipping. If you have some "rare" ones you might get more for them. I see someone is currently offering a Noordam I for $18.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/HOLLAND-AMERICA-LINE-NOORDAM-1902-1923-TILE-COASTER-/390204741561?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ada03d7b9

Good advice from John. Go with Ebay! One can pick up HAL tiles for a buck at yard sales and thrift stores, because the people selling them don't realize what it is they're selling, or the value that they have for HAL enthusiasts.:)

I enjoy getting the HAL tiles as gifts from my daughter, who doesn't understand my cruising mania at all, but loves me enough to give me something that makes me happy (however odd that might be:)).

Archived