Is Peggy Cove worth going to?

cet84

I will be docked in Halifax on August 17th. I am debating on whether or not I should stick around in Halifax (visit Maritime Museum and downtown) or rent a car and go to Peggy's Cove? I will be docked between 10am and 6pm.

Thanks for any input!

Peggys Cove has awesome views(I love lighthouses anyhow) they do have packages which you can tour Halifax & do Peggy's Cove(they give you lunch) its a long excursion. Also in Halifax don't forget to visit the Citadel -certain times they have a piper that plays. more awesome views, Maritime Museum- oh they have a Titanic cemetery tour. Walking in Halifax is like walking in San Fransisco and Seatlle in some areas I mean real steep hills. Have lunch at one of the many small mom& pop restaurants. It depends on what you like. I've been there twice.

We were in Halifax last July and rented a car from Avis. I called them when we were getting off and the sent someone to pick me up. At the end of the day they dropped me back at the cruise terminal.

We drove to Peggy's Cove. It is a lovely drive. We took the direct road there and came back along the coast. The only problem was that it was very foggy that day.

It is a lovely drive -- we have been out there. There is really only the lighthouse to see and the gift shop to explore. It has been awhile since we were there -- but we also had a lobster lunch there.

We love touring around Halifax. There is also the Hop On Hop Off bus that will take you around to many of the sights in Halifax -- have done that -- it is great.

And then you can also just walk the boardwalk there -- restaurants -- shops.

The thing I remember most about Peggy's Cove was the smell of roses in bloom. The views were pretty nice too. Save some time to walk around Halifax. It's more fun to do with a guide so you can hear all the stories and unique facts of the city.

Here's another vote for touring downtown Halifax. This is a great town that is very walkable. The Maritime Museum of the Atlantic is only about ten minutes away from the pier along a lovely board walk.

If you like forts there is the glorious and gigantic Citadel sitting high atop Halifax with commanding views of the city and harbor. If you enjoy browsing in shops there are many along Spring Garden Road.

I have read many accounts that Peggy's Cove is a big bore. You've seen one lighthouse you've seen them all.

Jonathan

If you are going to be in Halifax you have tons of time to do both Peggys cove and walk downtown Halifax I live 3 hours away and I say if your in Halifax see Peggys Cove it is beautiful I have lived in Nova Scotis all my life and know Halifax well. I will be flying out of Halifax Sept 4 to go to Vaacouver for our Alaskan cuise on the Mercury:D

Depends on what your likes and dislikes are. We are two older ladies that love lighthouses, so we chose the tour to Peggy's Cove. Goodgle Peggy's Cove and just look at the photos of Peggy's Cove, it's a quaint little fishing village that gets filled with bus loads of tourists.

IT WAS AWESOME! It was pouring rain and oh so windy, but if you love the coast, it can't be beat. We had fish & chips at the restaurant and then bought cookies at a small bakery close by. There was a lady (not sure if she was some sort of Park Ranger?) giving a lobster demonstration that was really interesting too.

And there is a memorial to Swissair Flight 111 passengers when the aircraft crashed into the sea.

When we returned to Halifax, we walked along the boardwalk, then back to the ship with plenty of time to spare.

Have a great trip!

As evidenced by the replies here, you're going to get some conflicting opinions as it's very subjective as to where it's worth it. I've been there several times over my lifetime so far, twice in the last year and I still marvel at the rugged beauty of the area.

Only you can decide if it's worth it for you, take a peek here http://www.novascotiawebcams.com/south-shore/peggys-cove.html#axzz0v58HPkMQ I'm just thinking, millions of visitors have made a point of stopping there so there must be something about the place.

We were staying in Nova Scotia for a few days and one day drove to Peggy's Cove and Halifax. We'd go back to Halifax again in an instant, but would probably bypass Peggy's Cove the next time.

It was lovely, quaint little town and the lighthouse was great, but our most vivid memories are the crowds, so much so that we couldn't even find parking and we just ended up driving through, snapping pics and going on our way.

We had only a few hours in Halifax, went to the Titanic Museum, had lunch, walked around. I sure wish we would have done some more research on the city before we went, we would have gotten more out of it. We did get lost driving in town (which isn't always a negative) and saw some of the most beautiful homes and a huge park, we have no recollection of the name of it.

We enjoyed Peggy's Cove very much. It was very picturesque, and the coastal view is awesome, but just be aware that the trek up to the lighthouse is very rocky and steep in areas and can be treacherous if you have mobility issues at all. We were fortunate enough to have a cobalt blue sky that day, and have some gorgeous pictures - one of which is on our wall here in the den and I'm looking at it now! :) Good memories!!

It gets very, very crowded once all the tour groups start arriving as well. You get packed into the gift shop like sardines! We were forewarned about this and took the earliest possible tour there, so just as the hoards were arriving, our group was getting ready to leave.

I'm glad we went, but the second time we visited Halifax, we didn't go back. We went to the Maritime Museum and the Citadel and visited the quaint little shops in town. There was even a bag-piper that was playing at the Citadel - it was so enjoyable!

We love Halifax - it is one of our favorite cities!

I also have never understood the hype over Peggy's Cove, and I've spent lots of time on the south shore. If you want to leave Halifax, I would skip Peggy's Cove and visit Lunenburg and Mahone Bay. A jog over to Blue Rocks is beautiful too; it's right outside of Lunenburg.

As an addendum, I would say, if I was only going to be in Halifax once in my entire life for one day, I think I'd stay in Halifax, it's a great little city with lots to see and do.

As an addendum, I would say, if I was only going to be in Halifax once in my entire life for one day, I think I'd stay in Halifax, it's a great little city with lots to see and do.

I agree, you just can't do everything, and spending all day driving is not my idea of a good time.

I agree, you just can't do everything, and spending all day driving is not my idea of a good time.

All day driving? Its about a hour to Peggy's cove. Peggy's cove is actually very nice. If you do this on your own, you can easily drive to Peggy's cove, stop off at the Swiss air monument nearby, drive back to the cemetery where some of the bodies from the Titanic are buried(including a J Dawson), stop by the park, the Citadel and the Maritime Museum and have time to just dawdle.

We cruise b-to-b every summer, Boston to Montreal to Boston, so that provides us with two visits during those cruises. We love Halifax and spend all our time there. We don't enjoy the tour bus stops with hordes of people and a large part of the attraction is roaming the gift shop. Nothing has attracted us to sitting on a bus to see Peggy's Cove. On the other hand, we love all Halifax has to offer. We never tire of all there is to see and do there. Fabulous port call IMO

(Not to mention..... we want our lobster lunch in Halifax. :))

All day driving? Its about a hour to Peggy's cove. Peggy's cove is actually very nice. If you do this on your own, you can easily drive to Peggy's cove, stop off at the Swiss air monument nearby, drive back to the cemetery where some of the bodies from the Titanic are buried(including a J Dawson), stop by the park, the Citadel and the Maritime Museum and have time to just dawdle.

I am well aware of the attractions of Halifax and distance to Peggy's Cove, etc. I have a house in the area and have been there many, many times. This was more of a generic comment on people who want to see every attraction in the area of a port stop, and don't take the time to just sit down and enjoy what's there.

I am well aware of the attractions of Halifax and distance to Peggy's Cove, etc. I have a house in the area and have been there many, many times. This was more of a generic comment on people who want to see every attraction in the area of a port stop, and don't take the time to just sit down and enjoy what's there.

so you don't disagree that on your own you can easily do all this in a day. We have been to Halifax a couple of times. rented a car and beat the crowds to Peggy's cove. Had coffee walked around- left as the buses started to arrive, then drove up the Swiss Air monument, had lunch at a very nice place on the road. drove back to the cemetery, went to the park, stopped by the citadel and then finished at the museum- had a nice talk with one of the ticket takers whose mother had survived the WWI explosion. Saw the stuff about the museum and the explosion, went out and looked at the ships(saw the Thomas train exhibit)...and when we left the piper piped us out of the harbor. In addition the dock we left from was us used in the Movie "K-19 Widow Maker". I wasn't rushed at all. If anything i would skip the Citadel but that is my own taste. Is Peggy's cove an absolute necessity- nah its just another nice view and lighthouse.

Thank you all for responding. I am still unsure if I will be going to Peggy's Cove, but here is my plan.

There is an excursion on the ship to Peggy's Cove and Titanic for $38each, so I am going to take sometime and really think about it. The thing is that I will be seeing several light house in Portland (our first stop). I figure if I loved seeing the light houses and want to see more, i will book the excursion. However, if I think I have seen enough, I will spend the day in Halifax.

If I spent the day in Halifax, would you recommend taking a trolley tour?

thanks!

Thank you all for responding. I am still unsure if I will be going to Peggy's Cove, but here is my plan.

There is an excursion on the ship to Peggy's Cove and Titanic for $38each, so I am going to take sometime and really think about it. The thing is that I will be seeing several light house in Portland (our first stop). I figure if I loved seeing the light houses and want to see more, i will book the excursion. However, if I think I have seen enough, I will spend the day in Halifax.

If I spent the day in Halifax, would you recommend taking a trolley tour?

thanks!

Avis charges about $50 for a day to rent a car- its about a mile from the cruise terminal(I walk there come back and get my spouse and when I return the car they drive you back to the pier).

there is a free bus(Fred's bus?) that makes the rounds. I personally hate trolley tours.

http://www.halifax.ca/metrotransit/fred.html

Archived