Tracy Arm cruise by Adventure Bound

oceanflower

I'm taking Princess cruise in late Aug, and will dock at Juneau from 8am to 9pm. I am interested in a 10hr cruise to Tracy Arm Fjord by Adventure Bound (http://www.adventureboundalaska.com/). But in principle I only have 15min to connect (they leave at 8:15, and no later than 8:30am). The company told me that it's doable if I'm the first one to get off Princess and grab a taxi immediately; and I'll get a refund if Princess is late. I'm really hesitating... Has anyone done this before?

I did the excursion with Adventure Bound in June of this year and can highly recommend it. Was in Juneau on the HAL Oosterdam that had a 7 AM docking time, so that was not an issue. Actually, I was the first one off the ship that morning at 6:50 AM. I know we had a few people on our excursion who came in on a ship that docked at 8 AM - another HAL - but they were docked literally next to where the Adventure Bound boat docks - so no problem. I think if you go down to the gangway about the time the ship starts to dock and wait until it's cleared and are the first off, it shouldn't be a problem. Think you'll find that it was well worth it. The Adventure Bound excursion is now either my first or second (still wavering!) excursion in my 4 trips to Alaska!

I would definitely go with Allen Marine since they leave later. Plus, Adventure Bound has numerous bad raps here and on TA.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g31020-d1088775-Reviews-Adventure_Bound_Alaska_Tracy_Arm_Glacier_Cruise-Juneau_Alaska.html#REVIEWS

You would absolutely need to have your boarding passes in hand before you get on your Alaskan cruise. That is one of the issues with Adventure Bound - the office.

I would definitely go with Allen Marine since they leave later. Plus, Adventure Bound has numerous bad raps here and on TA.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g31020-d1088775-Reviews-Adventure_Bound_Alaska_Tracy_Arm_Glacier_Cruise-Juneau_Alaska.html#REVIEWS

You would absolutely need to have your boarding passes in hand before you get on your Alaskan cruise. That is one of the issues with Adventure Bound - the office.

Do you know anyone who has TAKEN this tour with Allen Marine??

I am very hesistant to "recommend" it be done instead of Adventure Bound. It is 3 hours shorter, where that time HAS to be at the expense of something?? I've done Tracy Arm round trip from Juneau, and it did indeed, take up 10 + hours, in my opinion. This trip is full of multiple stops all along the way, extended time at the glaciers and wildlife. Something has to go, when is signifcantly shorter.

I am very hesistant to "recommend" it be done instead of Adventure Bound. It is 3 hours shorter, where that time HAS to be at the expense of something?? I've done Tracy Arm round trip from Juneau, and it did indeed, take up 10 + hours, in my opinion. This trip is full of multiple stops all along the way, extended time at the glaciers and wildlife. Something has to go, when is signifcantly shorter.

My thoughts exactly. Someone reported that the Allen Marine boats were faster, but can they really be that much faster?

I, too, feel that something is going to be missing on the Allen Marine Tour. I am sure it will be a good tour, but I question how it will compare to Adventure Bound. With Adventure Bound we left Juneau at 8:45 a.m. and returned at 6:45 p.m. On our Adventure Bound tour, when whales were spotted on the way out to the fjord, they stopped the boat and we just watched for awhile. When we were at the glacier, they spent significant time there. In fact, after what I thought was a pretty amazing calving, I expected us to be pulling away as the show was done. However, they continued to stay by the glacier and we were indeed rewarded with a still batter calving. This tour as our favorite excursion in Alaska.

The best report would be from someone who has done both. I would consider Allen Marine if it was the only option for my port time.

I'm taking Princess cruise in late Aug, and will dock at Juneau from 8am to 9pm. I am interested in a 10hr cruise to Tracy Arm Fjord by Adventure Bound (http://www.adventureboundalaska.com/). But in principle I only have 15min to connect (they leave at 8:15, and no later than 8:30am). The company told me that it's doable if I'm the first one to get off Princess and grab a taxi immediately; and I'll get a refund if Princess is late. I'm really hesitating... Has anyone done this before?

If they are willing to refund your money, and you get that IN WRITING (they did for me), I would go for it, if it is something you really want to do. As mentioned, get by the gangplank very early. Study the port schedules ahead of time to learn where you will be docking, so you can have an idea of how far your walk will be. (We were about a 15 minute walk.) I would suggest you get information on cabs and find out if any will be at the pier as you get off. If not, get phone numbers of cabs. You should be able to call them from the ship before you get off and ask for a pick up at 8:00 a.m. (I know on our Juneau trip, I was able to get a port cell phone tower well before we docked). I also suggest you call Adventure Bound as you are getting off the ship to let them know you are on your way. Also call if you are going to be late. I had to call them because our ship docked an hour late. Fortunately they were running the second boat that day and we were able to get on the next tour. I have a feeling they have some real Type A personalities there because they like to leave before their scheduled times. We were on the 9:00 a.m. tour, but we left at 8:45 a.m. We actually just left the dock and were called back to pick up two people who were late. They do ask you to be at the dock a half hour ahead of time. If they told you that they thougth you would be fine, and they will refund your money if you don't make it, I think you are okay. Just keep in good touch with them that day. Don't forget to program their number into your phone.

The trip we took with Allen Marine 2 weeks ago today, July 23, They picked us up from our ship, the Volendam, at the mouth of Tracy Arm. We boarded The St. Peter approx8:30 Am and spent the best part of our day with them. Most people stayed in the catamaran, as it was very chilly and rainy. My dh and I spent almost all of the time out on the outer deck. Saw so much. The trip into Juneau did get pretty rough, but it was fun. They got us to our ship which had already arrived in juneau by 2;30 to 3;00. So we did miss lunch, but well worth it. It cost 199.pp. They had hot drinks on board(comp) and snacks to purchase. We are so glad we did this, I think some of the helicopters were grounded due to the weather. Our first and only cruise of 3 whole days was great!:)

I just booked this excursion, and in my case there was no decision to make because Adventure Bound could not accomodate my ship's schedule. Allen Marine was the only option available for me. I talked to Morgan from Allen Marine, and she was very friendly. If you are trying to make a decision, I suggest that you call up both tour operators and ask them all these questions. Then decide for yourself who to go with.

The trip we took with Allen Marine 2 weeks ago today, July 23, They picked us up from our ship, the Volendam, at the mouth of Tracy Arm. We boarded The St. Peter approx8:30 Am and spent the best part of our day with them. Most people stayed in the catamaran, as it was very chilly and rainy. My dh and I spent almost all of the time out on the outer deck. Saw so much. The trip into Juneau did get pretty rough, but it was fun. They got us to our ship which had already arrived in juneau by 2;30 to 3;00. So we did miss lunch, but well worth it. It cost 199.pp. They had hot drinks on board(comp) and snacks to purchase. We are so glad we did this, I think some of the helicopters were grounded due to the weather. Our first and only cruise of 3 whole days was great!:)

Do you recall how long the trip was from the entrance to the fjord back to Juneau?

If Allen Marine picks you up at the ship - that's a ship's tour - right???? The OP is looking for an independent tour. I've heard about the "problems" with the Adventure Bound office - I had no problem at all. I know there are people who have reported "problems" and I don't doubt that they had them, but how many satisfied customers do you think there were who never posted anywhere?? I'll always praise my experience with Adventure Bound. I doubt that Allen Marine lets people sit in the wheel house for an hour or longer and pick the captain's brain like Adventure Bound does!:p

I was with Coral when we did this tour and also don't see how it could be 3 hours shorter. This is also in my top couple of tours anywhere, I've had no issues with their operation. I enjoyed it so much I'm repeating the tour in two weeks during my Juneau port day even though I'll be sailing thru Tracy Arm on the ship later in the cruise. (and I've been to Tracy Arm 4-5 times already)

I usually look at the Tracy Arm/Adventure Bound reviews here because it's a trip I've done three times with friends in town. I have NEVER seen a negative review, let alone 'numerous' and I've been reading this board for a couple of years. I've seen frustration with the office staff--to me, that's typical Alaska service. Try living here year 'round. ;)

I would also warn folks that it is not for the busy/busy/busy activities type. The boat goes full out to and from the fjord, but it's a long trip. Bring a book, ipod or pack of cards.

AdventureBound was the BEST tour I have ever done in Alaska! I wouldn't want to cut 3 hours off of it.

After two cruises to Alaska and one being a B2B, I agree that this was our favorite excursion. I would take this trip over and over again!:)

I usually look at the Tracy Arm/Adventure Bound reviews here because it's a trip I've done three times with friends in town. I have NEVER seen a negative review, let alone 'numerous' and I've been reading this board for a couple of years. I've seen frustration with the office staff--to me, that's typical Alaska service. Try living here year 'round. ;)

I would also warn folks that it is not for the busy/busy/busy activities type. The boat goes full out to and from the fjord, but it's a long trip. Bring a book, ipod or pack of cards.

The part that impressed me from the beginning I boarded the boat (which gave me a very good vibe) that this was a tour that locals went on with their out of town guests. We did this tour many years ago and we were the only 2 cruise passengers back then (there really were no reviews about the company on CC back then).

This is not the tour, we are referring to. The question is about their round trip Juneau tour, taken independently. Not the cruise contracted Tracy Arm add ons.

I was with Coral when we did this tour and also don't see how it could be 3 hours shorter. This is also in my top couple of tours anywhere, I've had no issues with their operation. I enjoyed it so much I'm repeating the tour in two weeks during my Juneau port day even though I'll be sailing thru Tracy Arm on the ship later in the cruise. (and I've been to Tracy Arm 4-5 times already)

The tour from the ship can be shorter because it is not a round trip. The tour boat picks up from the ship at the mouth of the Fjord and meets the ship in Juneau. Since the ship I am on is in Juneau from 12 to 7 the ship excursion is what I have booked, although i would rather book independent excursions an 8 hour rt tour is not possible. I will do other independent stuff in Juneau.

The tour from the ship can be shorter because it is not a round trip. The tour boat picks up from the ship at the mouth of the Fjord and meets the ship in Juneau. If it were possible to do the tours out of Juneau on my sailing I likely would pick the independent tour from Adventure Bound over the other Tracy Arm tours. Since the ship I am on is in Juneau from 12 to 7 the ship excursion is what I have booked, an 8 hour rt tour is not possible. I will do other stuff in Juneau.

This is still, not what some of us are talking about. It does not involve ANY cruise ship add on tours.

Adventure Bound and Allen Marine BOTH offer a boat tour- round trip Juneau to Tracy Arm. The Allen Marine tour is 3 hours shorter. That is the point I made above.

This is still, not what some of us are talking about. It does not involve ANY cruise ship add on tours.

Adventure Bound and Allen Marine BOTH offer a boat tour- round trip Juneau to Tracy Arm. The Allen Marine tour is 3 hours shorter. That is the point I made above.

I understand what you are talking about. And I understand the point you made. I think you are not comprehending.

Some of us can't do the Adventure Bound tour from Juneau because of the ship schedule and time in port. So we have to make a different plan. That might be the three hour shorter Allen Marine tour from Juneau or the the ship add on tour. It is not a matter of picking Allen Marine over Adventure Bound. The Allen Marine tour would be the only choice for a Tracy Arm tour for those on some ships like the Volendam.

The tour from the ship can be shorter because it is not a round trip. The tour boat picks up from the ship at the mouth of the Fjord and meets the ship in Juneau. Since the ship I am on is in Juneau from 12 to 7 the ship excursion is what I have booked, although i would rather book independent excursions an 8 hour rt tour is not possible. I will do other independent stuff in Juneau.

ONe more time, we are not comparing apples to apples here. No one is disputing anything about the add on Tracy Arm excursion you do with your cruiseline. That tour has always been HIGHLY recommended.

For those who are looking at a round trip tour to Tracy Arm out of Juneau because their cruise ship does not go to Tracy Arm, there are currently two options: Allen Marine and Adventure Bound. What we are saying is that for the round trips out of Juneau the Allen Marine tour is 3 hours shorter than the Adventure Bound tour. Those of us who have been on the round trip with Adventure Bound are saying that three hours less would not be a comparable trip.

ONe more time, we are not comparing apples to apples here. No one is disputing anything about the add on Tracy Arm excursion you do with your cruiseline. That tour has always been HIGHLY recommended.

For those who are looking at a round trip tour to Tracy Arm out of Juneau because their cruise ship does not go to Tracy Arm, there are currently two options: Allen Marine and Adventure Bound. What we are saying is that for the round trips out of Juneau the Allen Marine tour is 3 hours shorter than the Adventure Bound tour. Those of us who have been on the round trip with Adventure Bound are saying that three hours less would not be a comparable trip.

It is Apples to Apples. It may be a smaller Apple, but it is the same Tracy Arm Fjord they are doing.

One size does not fit all. Some might want to do the shorter round trip tour and do some other excursion or site seeing in Juneau. Or their ship might not be there long enough for the long Adventure Bound tour. Or maybe they don't want to be on a small boat for as many hours as the Adventure Bound tour. The shorter Allen Marine tour of the same Fjord could be right for some.

It is Apples to Apples. It may be a smaller Apple, but it is the same Tracy Arm Fjord they are doing.

One size does not fit all. Some might want to do the shorter round trip tour and do some other excursion or site seeing in Juneau. Or their ship might not be there long enough for the long Adventure Bound tour. Or maybe they don't want to be on a small boat for as many hours as the Adventure Bound tour. The shorter Allen Marine tour of the same Fjord could be right for some.

No one ever said one size fits all. You keep misinterpreting what BQ and I are saying.

We are simply stating that the round trip out of Juneau with Allen Marine is three hours shorter than the round trip with Adventure Bound. That is ALL WE ARE SAYING!!!!

AMEN!!!!

Archived