Fixed time "Anytime" dining

Widespreadpanic

My BH and I always seek out the Maitre D' when we board and make a set reservation (same time & table every evening) and have never had a problem. The last cruise on the Caribbean Princes, the Maitre D' was reticent to do this, and said it is Princess' policy, newly changed, not to allow this. Have I missed something here, or is this just a case of the MD not wanting to book this at the beginning of the cruise? We have never missed a seating reserved for us, but I suspect he may have had misgivings about setting aside the table for the whole week.

We had the same issue on the CB two years ago. The maitre-d would NOT accept reservations for a particular time/table for the length of the cruise, and it was nearly impossible to make daily reservations too. We got around this by getting to the dining room as it opened, giving us our choice of tables, so we could choose the same waiter throughout the cruise. Since we were 600+ on the waitlist for early traditional, we didn't mind getting to the anytime dining room early. We were on the CB last week, but were able to have confirmed traditional dining. In fact, we will not cruise with Princess again unless we are confirmed for traditional. We much prefer RCI's My Time Dining policy where you can either show up as you please any time, or you can make a standing reservation for the length of the cruise.

Princess is not consistent on their AD reservation policy.

On some ships, you can reserved a specific table & time for the whole cruise.

On others, you must do it daily.

Still others only accept reservations before 6pm or so or after 8:30 or so.

Finally, some do not accept reservations.

Thank you all. Although the MD initially resisted giving us a standing res. for AD, he finally did relent. BH is generous with additional end-of-week tips, from waitstaff to MD, and I suspect that paved the way for easy cruising our second week of the B2B. It would be best for us, of course, if we did not have to re-make the same res. every day. Even though it can be done with a phone call, we have tried that before and had reservations that were not made or made at the wrong time/dining room. I think we will just try and continue as we have, and hope for the best!

I can understand the Maitre d' being reluctant to make a cruise-length reservation, but at least they could offer (consistently) the ability to make a reservation for the next evening as you leave the restaurant. Most people who want to make a reservation have a good idea of what they are doing the following day to know what time they'd like to have dinner.

We were able to make reservations for a particular table and time for the next evening on our first Princess cruise about 3 years ago. Since then, we've been told to call the D I N E line the next morning. Well...making dinner reservations for the evening is not the first thing on our mind in the morning so we rarely have done this.

Hopefully Princess will listen, and make things consistent and easy for us who choose Anytime Dining!

We haven't been on the Caribbean Princess in a while but on the Emerald, Crown, Ruby & Island within the last 1 1/2 years we had standing res. for early dining. That Maitre D' must be doing as he pleases & just told you it's a policy to get rid of you.

It's a pain to have to call in every day especially when arriving early in a port & wanting to get off the ship & everyone is trying to call in at the same time.

The maitre-d would NOT accept reservations for a particular time/table for the length of the cruise

Which in my opinion is the whole point of "anytime dining!" There are only a limited amount of possible reservations each night (and usually not accepted between 6:30 and 8 or something)....therefore if the same guests monopolized the only available time slots for the duration of the cruise, how is that fair to the rest of the passengers who might want a reservation? Play fair and either call in the AM or wait your turn like the rest of us! It blows my mind when people think they should receive preferential treatment. Book earlier and take traditional or go to the buffet...no lines!

On Golden Princess last month the MD was reluctant to book our requested section/table for the first couple of nights but, after that, we had no problem. We just went up to the desk on finishing our meal and booked the same section for the following night - we were on different tables in the section but had our preferred waiter and assistant waiter.

Thank you all. Although the MD initially resisted giving us a standing res. for AD, he finally did relent. BH is generous with additional end-of-week tips, from waitstaff to MD, and I suspect that paved the way for easy cruising our second week of the B2B. It would be best for us, of course, if we did not have to re-make the same res. every day. Even though it can be done with a phone call, we have tried that before and had reservations that were not made or made at the wrong time/dining room. I think we will just try and continue as we have, and hope for the best!

It usually does. Glad it worked out for the second leg.....:):):)

Bob

Which in my opinion is the whole point of "anytime dining!" There are only a limited amount of possible reservations each night (and usually not accepted between 6:30 and 8 or something)....therefore if the same guests monopolized the only available time slots for the duration of the cruise, how is that fair to the rest of the passengers who might want a reservation? Play fair and either call in the AM or wait your turn like the rest of us! It blows my mind when people think they should receive preferential treatment. Book earlier and take traditional or go to the buffet...no lines!

Sorry, but when the waiting list for traditional is over 600 long, even when booked 9 months in advance, it's not fair to those who get defaulted into anytime dining not to be able to simulate the traditional dining experience in the anytime room. Princess needs to accomodate all people who want traditional dining.

BTW...I'd love to book earlier than that, however my work schedules and my children's schedules are not set that far in advance.

Princess descibes AD as "Just like a restaurant, dine with whomever you wish and according to your own schedule, anytime from 5:30pm to 10:00pm, in elegant, upscale venues." (Cruise Answer Book page 23).

I don't know about your area, but near my home, if you want to eat in an elegant, upscale venue, you better make reservations. Otherwise, you can eat before 5pm or after 10pm.

Well why don't you also make standing reservations like the people you're referring to?

Sounds like traditional to me. :eek:

TD is two specific times. I don't know of any land restaurants that have just two seating per evening. And as you know since you deliberately cut it out, the words "elegant, upsacle venue" were taken from the Princess description of AD.

Popular restaurants around here (SF) have about 3 seatings per evening at most. And it is not uncommon to have to wait 15min to 45min even with a reservation.

TD is two specific times. I don't know of any land restaurants that have just two seating per evening. And as you know since you deliberately cut it out, the words "elegant, upsacle venue" were taken from the Princess description of AD.

Yes I admit, it was a delibrate act on my part. :p

Two years ago in the Med got a table for 11 every evening with the same waiter crew what a great experience!

This time on Sapphire no can do attitude. Went to the Matire D' on the first day and had to totally can't be done attitude and told me to call every day. Funny I called every day and they kept on telling me all the available large tables were already taken. Was I in the dog house or what?

on the ship at 1pm but told to call every morning, called every morning but was told all the table were already reserved. Part of the whole dining experence that have bumped Princess from first choice!

My BH and I always seek out the Maitre D' when we board and make a set reservation (same time & table every evening) and have never had a problem. The last cruise on the Caribbean Princes, the Maitre D' was reticent to do this, and said it is Princess' policy, newly changed, not to allow this. Have I missed something here, or is this just a case of the MD not wanting to book this at the beginning of the cruise? We have never missed a seating reserved for us, but I suspect he may have had misgivings about setting aside the table for the whole week.

On our last cruise, the MD came over to our table the first night and introduced himself to my dh and myself. We had a suite and had two couples with us. He asked if we liked the table and then asked if we wanted it every night. It was a great table - in the corner and right next to a window. We set it up for 8 but he told us we could come a little earlier or later - whatever we wanted.

this was anytime dining

Doesn't Princess now have three times for TD? Or wasn't that in effect for your cruise?

Sorry, but when the waiting list for traditional is over 600 long, even when booked 9 months in advance, it's not fair to those who get defaulted into anytime dining not to be able to simulate the traditional dining experience in the anytime room. Princess needs to accomodate all people who want traditional dining.

BTW...I'd love to book earlier than that, however my work schedules and my children's schedules are not set that far in advance.

I concur with others, it really depends on the ship and the Matre D.... We have been offerred many times if we would like a fixed table and fixed time every day. We say no thanks.

Then on a recent cruise we wanted a fixed table and time and we were told not possible, go figure.

I work with a schedule to the minute in my job the last thing I want to do on vacation is be on a fixed schedule.

We should not overlook that fact that having the same table and wait servers each evening makes the likelihood of gratuities being given at the end of the cruise, just as in fixed seating. With the constant change of passengers each night that does not exist. So the relationship between the maitre d' and the waiters plays a part in this. We have been directed to the same time/table during anytime dinning where this point was obvious with all parties being thanked with a gratuity.

Doesn't Princess now have three times for TD? Or wasn't that in effect for your cruise?

That wasn't in effect at the time of the cruise I was talking about. I was on the CB again last week, and although I had confirmed early traditional 6pm dining, I do believe that the new 5:30 TD helped allieviate the waiting list and avoid such issues as I had.

Archived