Rum Runners

maxx

alcohol in your packed luggage,Would they just conficate it,deny u passage on board the ship,and send u packing.

I just love having a coffee with some rum in it,so good on a cold morning.

Happy days to all.From mary

Its your property...they would confiscate it and return it to you on the last night.

These policies are why so many people take their own "ice tea" onboard LOL.

At least Princess dont mind a couple of wine casks.

We have been using them for years and have packed them in our suitcases and our carry-on luggage and never been detected. The cruise package is the best where you get an assortment of sizes.:D

Thanks for that Liz, the Cruise Pack is what we bought.;)

I have found this thread very interesting. I have been on 4 cruises (ex Sydney) but the last one was about 12 years ago. If my memory serves me correctly, the price of onboard drinks back then was "duty-free". Seems apparent from the comments on this thread that this is no longer the case. So what can I expect if I book another cruise now?? Can anyone advise the cost of a beer and a bottle of Australian/NZ Sem Sav Blanc, for example? :confused:

I have found this thread very interesting. I have been on 4 cruises (ex Sydney) but the last one was about 12 years ago. If my memory serves me correctly, the price of onboard drinks back then was "duty-free". Seems apparent from the comments on this thread that this is no longer the case. So what can I expect if I book another cruise now?? Can anyone advise the cost of a beer and a bottle of Australian/NZ Sem Sav Blanc, for example? :confused:

You can buy alcohol duty free, but that is for taking off the ship and back home with you (like duty free purchases elsewhere).

Pricing depends on the ship, but for consumption onboard beer may be $6-8, and wine typically $30+

Hi, Newbie here,

I just thought i would put Vodka in a water bottle, not a good idea??

I dont have time to buy the rum runner as I leave on Thursday.

If you get caught, do they just take it off you??

Thanks for your help

Hi, Newbie here,

I just thought i would put Vodka in a water bottle, not a good idea??

I dont have time to buy the rum runner as I leave on Thursday.

If you get caught, do they just take it off you??

Thanks for your help

That can work, just don't fill it all the way to the top. You can also look at those small plastic travel mini bottles that you can put shampoo, etc in.

a bottle of Sem Sav Blanc was $24 the last time we were on a P&O cruise.12/06/10 7 nights Pacific Dawn

I have said many times why are the drink prices so dear on P&O when they/P&O bye every thing that is on the ship duty free. they do say its because of the RSA rules but no where in those rules states anything about pricing,and even if the prices were duty free they can all ways do what they do know when some one gets to drunk and that is stop there cruise card from working so they can not bye any more for 24 hours RSA.

This is RSA not hiking the prices up.

A local Beer is between $4.50 and $5.50

Imported like Corona is a couple of dollars dearer.

Bottles of Wine are difficult to buy on board other than in the Restaurant for consumption there, I think that perhaps only the Lido bar on the Pacific Dawn sells them to take away from $26.

Glasses of Wine are $7-9 dollars

Cocktails around $9-10 dollars

Spirits are around $8 dollars

I do not believe you can buy bottles of Spirits on any ships sailing from Oz

you can bye bottles of wine from any bar on the pacific dawn and if you bye it from the Restaurant you can take it with you. the cocktails are between $8 and $13,Spirits are $8.50 plus 50 cents for the mixer

An update on the rum runners. We packed a large & small one in our bag as per instructions, one small in my pocket. I was nervous but nothing to lose. No problem with scanning. We bought a lot of scotch home with us, just couldn't drink it all.

We've just used the Rum Runners, no problem at all.

It's not that we were trying to avoid purchasing alcohol on board, we enjoy a drink early evening whilst we are getting ready to go to dinner. Then we enjoy a glass of wine in the dining room, and usually have another drink in one of the bars later in the evening.

Jillybean

• 4 weeks later...

thanks to everyone who contributed to my question re pricing for drinks ... I'm quite surprised that they're as pricey as they are .. and in my opinion using the RSA laws as an excuse for their 'upmarket' pricing is a copout :mad: but I guess it may help to control excessive drinking from some guests :confused:

I agree with you Sanny. The use of the RSA is just an excuse. It doesn't stop them from serving anyone. $5.50 for a can of beer. We used our Rum Runners in our cabin. Must say also that P&O have let their game slip. Children just run wild. All up and down the stairs and also pushing all the buttons in the lifts and every day dive bombing in the adult pool and I did not see any security telling them to get out. Never again P&O.:mad:

Archived