Anyone ever cruised from San Juan???

StorkRN

Looking to cruise to the Southern Caribbean :p in Feb/March 2011. However, most of the cruises leave from San Juan. Has anyone ever left from San Juan? I have heard it's not the greatest port to leave from as those cruises tend to be loud, crowded, & the people very pushy. Part of me thinks it would be great because I would fly down a day or two early & stay at a resort then get on the ship! Help...!

We sailed twice from San Juan and both cruises were wonderful. We are not party animals and the ships were no more rowdy (once was Princess and once was HAL) than any other cruise. We wouldn't hesitate to cruise from San Juan in the future. We happen to love it there.

Hi we sailed out of San Juan this past April. We stayed over night the day before and we were at the port by 11:30-12:00. We were on the ship 1/2 hour later. It was not loud, crowded and we did not come across anyone pushy. The whole boarding experience was the complete opposite of that description. We had no problems what so ever. We had a relaxing lunch, got to know the ship and found our room, no problems at all. Just relax and enjoy.

We've sailed from San Juan twice and have had a wonderful time - both times on Celebrity. Something to remember when reading reviews is that those who feel like complaining will make a point of putting it out there. Those who have a wonderful time often don't feel the need to post a review.

We went out of SJU last March & loved the late departure. Came in same day on that cruise but will be 2 days early next Feb to enjoy the city a little more before the next one. Some say you'll see less kids (young)since the flights are longer and more expensive. Really didn't notice any difference in passengers from our sailings from FLL or MIA. Their airport is fine to arrive at and taxis are all regulated by zones so you don't have to worry about being "taken for a ride". A little busy to leave from but that's the way it is, just go with the flow... :D

We have cruised out of San Juan several times and I have to stay it is my favorite port to cruise from. Not sure where you heard all of those bad things but I have never experienced anything close to what you have explained. Definitely fly down at least a day early and enjoy Old San Juan. So many things to do and see.

We love sailing out of San Juan. This upcoming cruise will be our 3rd sailing out of San Juan. We fly in the day before and stay at a resort to get into "vacation mode". The Southern Caribbean itineraries are amazing. We have never encountered any problems.

Looking to cruise to the Southern Caribbean :p in Feb/March 2011. However, most of the cruises leave from San Juan. Has anyone ever left from San Juan? I have heard it's not the greatest port to leave from as those cruises tend to be loud, crowded, & the people very pushy. Part of me thinks it would be great because I would fly down a day or two early & stay at a resort then get on the ship! Help...!

The only loud group I met on the Victory was on sail away in the sports bar. They called themselves the "Southern Crossers". A bit loud and they did cause the other 2 people in the bar to leave. :p ;) Did not notice any other loud behavior. Did tend to fall asleep earlier than normal though (a port a day will do that).

I have sailed out of San Juan twice and disembarked there once. The cruise port is not close to town (you will need a cab ride to town), but it is so worth it.

I didn't find the people pushy or anything. The SJU airport isn't the greatest, but who cares, you're on vacation!

I LOVE sailing out of San Juan. It's one of my most favorite ports. It's a quick cab ride from town to the pier. I think it cost us about $15 one way from Old San Juan to the pier.

We were on a back to back, so when we came back in to San Juan, we took a cab to Old San Juan. Had the driver drop us off right in front of one of the forts. We played and shopped all day. Had a blast.

We did a two night pre hotel before the cruise started. For sure one of our better cruises.

When I used to cruise the Caribbean a lot, we sailed out of San Juan several times. I remember when the terminal was a tiny, windowless, A/C-less room. Awful. Now, however, the terminal is gigantic, lots of opportunities to get some last-minute booze. And other things, too, I'm sure. ; )

The only time I'm ever heard anyone say that their cruise out of San Juan was less than terrific, was when the cruiseline has run last-minute specials for residents of Puerto Rico, and so a great many passengers didn't speak English. If I were on a cruise with a whole bunch of people with whom I couldn't communicate (and vice versa), I'd be frustrated.

As for pre- or post-cruise stays, I'm all for flying in a day early for obvious reasons. Through the years, though, old San Juan has gotten less & less charming, and more & more like home (IMO). El Morro (the fortress) is worth a visit, as is El Yunque Rain Forest (if you like that sort of thing). If they're still offered, tours at Bacardi Rum Factory are fun.

Sailed out of SJ twice on RCI. It's a great port to sail out of (& back into, as well). On both occasions we left about 10PM--just beautiful passing the old fort. Agree with several previous posters, if you can arrive a day or two early, make a visit to Old San Juan--and visit the Bacardi facility--great tour, and if you like rum--free samples!

Enjoy your cruise!;)

StorkRN:

Here's an Idea. I sailed from SJ last summer on Carnival Victory for example. On each Port I saw few ppl getting on and off the ship at different days. Few times during the week I asked the passengers getting off the ship why you getting off, and they said they were here earlier at the start of their cruise and it's their last day. I also asked another passengers getting on the next day why you getting on? They said they're getting on the ship and won't be off til the following week. It was midweek too. Victory's itenirary included Southern Caribbean: San Juan, Puerto Rico ; St. Thomas, Usvi ; Dominica ; Barbados ; St. Lucia, WI ; St Kitts, WI ; St. Maarten, NA ; San Juan, Puerto Rico. I told my DW the next time I go back to S. Caribbean I'm going to get on for example St. Lucia and pre stay 2 days to enjoy the gorgeous island. I didn't really care for San Juan. Ask the cruiseline if it's necesarry to depart/arrive from the original POrt of Call. Just a thought.

Clarification on possibly leaving from St. Lucia Roundtrip. Understand from Carnival rep, one can leave from San Jaun to San Juan RT or Barbados to Barbados RT. ONly 2 options from S. Caribbean itenirary on Victory.

StorkRN:

Here's an Idea. I sailed from SJ last summer on Carnival Victory for example. On each Port I saw few ppl getting on and off the ship at different days. Few times during the week I asked the passengers getting off the ship why you getting off, and they said they were here earlier at the start of their cruise and it's their last day. I also asked another passengers getting on the next day why you getting on? They said they're getting on the ship and won't be off til the following week. It was midweek too. Victory's itenirary included Southern Caribbean: San Juan, Puerto Rico ; St. Thomas, Usvi ; Dominica ; Barbados ; St. Lucia, WI ; St Kitts, WI ; St. Maarten, NA ; San Juan, Puerto Rico. I told my DW the next time I go back to S. Caribbean I'm going to get on for example St. Lucia and pre stay 2 days to enjoy the gorgeous island. I didn't really care for San Juan. Ask the cruiseline if it's necesarry to depart/arrive from the original POrt of Call. Just a thought.

• 4 months later...

We will be sailing out of Puerto Rico in April for the second time on Carnival's Victory. I love the island and the beaches. We stayed at the Intercontinental the day before the cruise and the Embassy Suites after. Both were really nice.This time we are staying at the Embassy S. for two days before the cruise. This way we can go see El Yungue. Enjoy your trip!

Sailed out of San Juan last January, and I too was very concerned after reading several negative reviews, but the appeal of the port intensive itenerary won out in the end. So glad we didn't let all of the negative opinions of some keep me from the wonderful experience.

Flew in 2 days early. Used priceline for hotel (resort) and was very happy.

Sailed on Adventure of the Seas and had a wonderful time. Only thing is I needed a vacation to recover after a long day in port every single day. (This is NOT a bad thing). Did not make many shows cause we were just too tired.

Had such a good time, have booked another trip for next summer with my 3 young adult kids. Cant wait to explore all the ports with them.

Even the San Juan airport wasnt as bad as I was expecting after reading all the posts.

We have cruised out of San Juan at least six or seven times. Our favorite islands are on the southern itineraries.

Puerto Rico is worth visiting and there truly is much to see and enjoy.

My only recommendation is to arrange your return flight after noon. During cruise season the airport is a zoo with some of the slowest TSA agents in the country.

Archived