IF You Could Have Lunch At One Place

aliaschief

• 2 weeks later...
For Brunch on the weekend: Azur. I love this place and they have key lime pie stuffed french toast! They also have a good weekday lunch.

Blackfin also has a good lunch, and is on the 900 block of Duval.

www.FloridaKeysGirl.com

Thanks for the recommendation. The Key Lime Pie Stuffed French Toast was really, really good. Got to be a little too sweet as I neared the end, but I finished it anyway. :)

On the other hand, my friend ordered the hash and eggs

Hash and Eggs, Shredded beef rib and Yukon gold potato hash topped with two poached eggs and truffle Hollandaise $14.75

It was simply AMAZING!!! I am moving away from Florida in December and will definitely be making a trip back down to KW before I leave just so I can have that meal. I still can't get over how good it was. As much as I liked the KLP french toast, I wish I had ordered the hash and eggs instead! Yummmm!

Thanks for the recommendation. The Key Lime Pie Stuffed French Toast was really, really good. Got to be a little too sweet as I neared the end, but I finished it anyway. :)

On the other hand, my friend ordered the hash and eggs

Hash and Eggs, Shredded beef rib and Yukon gold potato hash topped with two poached eggs and truffle Hollandaise $14.75

It was simply AMAZING!!! I am moving away from Florida in December and will definitely be making a trip back down to KW before I leave just so I can have that meal. I still can't get over how good it was. As much as I liked the KLP french toast, I wish I had ordered the hash and eggs instead! Yummmm!

Glad you enjoyed! You'll just have to go back and get the Hash and Eggs next time! :)

http://FloridaKeysGirl.com

• 2 weeks later...
If you could have a choice of one restaurant for lunch in Key West...where would you go?

I would go back right now if I was in Key West, go to Fogertys on Duval Steet across from The Bull, the best big juicy hamburgers ever. I had the BarBQue burger it was great, DH had the Blue Cheese Burger he loved it. Also the onion rings are wonderful. My mouth is watering, if only there were a Forgertys in NW Arkansas

I agree on Blond Giraffe for yummy Key Lime pie ... I also agree on Southernmost Cafe (right on the water - great menu - awesome mojitos). I would also like to add Turtle Kraals right off the marina ... The most amazing scallops I have ever had ... SO delicious !! Can't wait to go back :p !!

I would go back right now if I was in Key West, go to Fogertys on Duval Steet across from The Bull, the best big juicy hamburgers ever. I had the BarBQue burger it was great, DH had the Blue Cheese Burger he loved it. Also the onion rings are wonderful. My mouth is watering, if only there were a Forgertys in NW Arkansas

We wouldn't rave about Fogarty's food but it's always been OK, and is nice for dining outdoors and people watching on Duval:)

Schooner Wharf's food is average, but the Old Key West atmosphere makes it worthwhile on occasion. Some people will say they've been cited by the health dept in the past, but it hasn't killed me yet:D

For good food at a reasonable price we usually eat a lunch or dinner at Jack Flat's when we're in Key West for a week.

Another vote for Blonde Giraffe for Key Lime pie.

We wouldn't rave about Fogarty's food but it's always been OK, and is nice for dining outdoors and people watching on Duval:)

Schooner Wharf's food is average, but the Old Key West atmosphere makes it worthwhile on occasion. Some people will say they've been cited by the health dept in the past, but it hasn't killed me yet:D

For good food at a reasonable price we usually eat a lunch or dinner at Jack Flat's when we're in Key West for a week.

Another vote for Blonde Giraffe for Key Lime pie.

Schooner Wharf Bar is definitely one of our favorites and we've even been known to actually eat there probably once a visit to Key West. ;) Actually, I think a lot of people would be surprised to hear of some of the other places in Key West that have been cited by the health department. :p

Actually, I think a lot of people would be surprised to hear of some of the other places in Key West that have been cited by the health department. :p

True, but no other place actually refused to obey the health department and was forcibly shut down by the KWPD for rodent infestation.

Mike:)

True, but no other place actually refused to obey the health department and was forcibly shut down by the KWPD for rodent infestation.

I don't know about "refused to obey" but Big'Uns was shut down 9/30/10 for one day until they corrected issues. The inspection mentioned "rodent activity as evidenced by rodent droppings found" in several areas.

Same thing for B.O.'s Fishwagon -- closed for one day 4/30/10 until they met inspection.

Surprise -- Hot Tin Roof was temporarily shut down for a few hours on 4/20/10 for 17 critical issues including one that involved "rodent activity . . . "

I could go on and on. The point is, issues are found and corrected in many places. It's a pretty common occurrence.

I don't know about "refused to obey"

I could go on and on. The point is, issues are found and corrected in many places. It's a pretty common occurrence.

Yes rodents are common in food service but the Schooner Wharf had failed inspection several times and had done nothing to correct the problem. When ordered closed by the health dept Evalena refused and the KWPD had to be involved to forcibly close the place.

It was a front page story in the local fish wrapper.

Mike

I remember when that happened with SWB, but not all the details. That was about four years ago, right?

Yes, it was a bad situation that did not have to happen but kept escalating until finally the police had to get involved.

I live in Key West and here is a list of my favorites:

1. Ambrosia- SUSHI

2. Alonzos Oyster Bar- 1/2 price appetizers between 4-6 (amazing food)

3. Pepe's

4. Azur

5. Louies Backyard

6. Blue Heven

7. Fougherties- Inexpensive on Duval but good food fast

8. Mr. Z's BEST Cheese steaks out of Philadelphia (counter service only)

9. Bobalous- Best Pizza on the Island

1. Ambrosia- SUSHI

3. Pepe's

4. Azur

5. Louies Backyard

6. Blue Heven

Yes, it was a bad situation that did not have to happen but kept escalating until finally the police had to get involved.

I have always been grossed out by the Schooner Wharf. I knew it was dirty then, and it still does not appear clean today. Some people love it, but I have never felt comfortable there.

1. Ambrosia- SUSHI

3. Pepe's

4. Azur

5. Louies Backyard

6. Blue Heven

Thanks so much for the list. We will be in Key West in a couple weeks on a cruise and we still have not decided where to have lunch. This list definately helps!!!:D

Archived