How do people get so much OBC?

Dorene1

I've booked all my cruises through a reputable online cruise company. I've used them for more than 10 years. They always give me Pre-Paid Gratuities which as you know can add up. This is just part of their offering. In addition I usually get $100 OBC for the repeat business and quite often wine in the cabin and a ton of coupons for free internet, free drink etc. We have an AQ booked for FEB - They just did the price adjustment this week and saved me $560 . Credited back to my unpaid invoice - NOT in OBC.

I know you can't tell us who they are but is there a website that rates and reviews all the online TA'S? There are so many and I don't want to pick one that doesn't have a good history. We have always booked direct but it seems that you can get a better deal with TA'S.

If "60 is the new 30" and "brown is the new black," then "OBC is the new discount" - only it's a lot more confusing for consumers than it used to be when agents simply quoted a discounted fare. X's policy of not permitting agents to discount fares supposedly levels the playing field between large volume agencies and small independents who for obvious reasons couldn't afford to discount as steeply as the big guys. That policy notwithstanding, nothing has changed much because discounting continues, only now under the guise of OBC which still leaves the independents at the very same disadvantage.

Few posters include details about the OBC they're getting, like which cruise, which accommodations, etc. so it's frustrating to read about people receiving massive OBC when you've done your homework getting dozens of quotes online and off, and the best OBC you've been offered, if you've been offered any(!), is $25. X is certainly aware that discounting abounds in the form of OBC, rendering its policy nothing more than form over substance. I'd love to see X go back to allowing actual discounting which would eliminate a lot of consumer frustration by making the mystery of OBC disappear altogether. JMHO.

I don't think they would go back to discounting. RCCL lines have had the no discounting policy in effect for a few years now while the Carnival brands (Carnival, Princess, Holland)have continued to allow discounting. However Carnival just changed their policy August 1 and now no longer allows discounting. NCL also made that same policy change. I can't help but think that Carnival saw that it's working very well for RCCL so they made the move.

Here are some of my questions.

1. I cruise often but not in expensive cabins. So would someone get a decent OMB for a inside cabin?

2. Has anyone had to use these on line TA that give great OBC for something, like a problem that has occured and need your TA to help out? Like being stranded somewhere and getting back to the states, or air strike or a problem with your cruise?

3. Do they charge you for cancelling your cruise or each time you want to make a change?

It seemed when I reviewed the prices on the cruise for future bookings the price was really much higher and I book the same cruise later for a lot less........I mean it could be over $800.00 plus.....saving.

I am on the threads all the time, I guess I need to pay more attention. I dont want Insurance I like my private company I use but OBC I would

Dorene

If, while on board, you buy a cruise or future cruise certificate called `Celebrity Passages` you will be entitled to an OBC based on the length of the cruise not the cost. Most OBCs from a TA will be based on the cost of the cruise fare, exclusive of taxes and fees... usually amounting to 9% of the cruise fare. There may be other OBC as well but Celebrity will not let you double dip (there are exceptions) with an onboard purchase and the stock credit.

OBC for a drop in cruise fare was available at one time but that process is now over for new bookings.

Passages: $50 for 3-5 night cruise, $100 for 6-9, $200 for 10-13, $300 for 14+. It also requires a $200 deposit rather than $900. The certificate has no value if not used.

The agency I use is the same that Cruise Critic uses for group pricing.. great crew` working for them..` but they are not available for long hours as some TA nor Celebrity. You have to evaluate your own needs.

We cannot find an agency in Canada that will give an OBC.. similar to the one we use.

I understand seems sad that I have cruised Celebrity a few times and now I going on a 13 day cruise and Im not getting the $200 OBC... nor any in the past as well..........not too happy right now. But I thank you for you answer....in makes sence........just dont like the answer........

The cruises that we choose are in peak season and as a result, rarely, if ever, on sale. So the OBC we receive from TAs is usually a pittance ($50-100) in comparison to others. Our next cruise on X is an exception, for once a holiday cruise was on sale (I couldn't believe it either) and we'll be getting $200 OBC for the cabin and a free night for two in the specialty restaurant ($50). This was from a major TA that advertises regularly on CC.

The only other time we have gotten a large OBC on X is after a series of price drops that started before final payment and continued even after it. That was great, but it's too bad now the price drops post final payment have gone the way of the dinosaur. :(

I use a TA that advertises on Cruise Critic. They had a deal of so much OBC, plus some extra for loyalty (I've used them a half dozen times), plus an extra $50 if it was a verandah. The end result was $275 (I don't remember what portion was the regular OBC and what was the extra for loyalty, together it was obviously $225).

A few months later Celebrity dropped the price of AQ, so we upgraded to AQ when AQ was $20pp lower than we origianly paid. Because the timing was past final payment Celebrity added an additional $40 of OBC. So at this point we're at a total of $315 OBC.

I own stock, so we were able to get an additional $100 through that. Our total OBC for this cruise is currently $415. (only $40 of that is a price adjustment). The total price including port fees/taxes for the both of us was roughly $1,750 (not per person, that was our total cost out the door). We received over 20% of the total back in OBC before the price adjustment at the time of booking, after the price adjustment we are just under 25% obc. I admit this is not usual, this is by far the best OBC we have picked up at the time of booking with this TA (without price adjustments... as you can see from above posts, in the past you could pick up lots of OBC if Celebrity reduced the price).. Please don't confuse this with the norm, it usually isn't this good.

This is why it was so beneficial to book early. With their new rules in place, I think the best deals going forward will be to wait until 4-8 weeks before the sail date.

You also have to watch where your OBC comes from because if it's a next cruise credit on RCI you can't use your shareholder perks or group amenities. If it's a group amenity you can't use your shareholder perks. Next you have to make sure that the online agency is charging your credit card with the vendor themselves and not to themselves and paying the vendor out of their account because if they don't pay timely or go out of business you could be left holding the proverbial bag. And will they be there for you if your ship comes in but you're at the airport? Some say that they have the cell phone number for their agent so make sure you can contact yours on the day you are traveling if they will even help you if that happens. I have seen where they say make sure you have the dock agent's number in case you don't make it. In other words don't call us. And then check for cancellation or modification fees. Some say we charge no fees until you get to the fine print. And some really don't charge any fees so do your homework.

I thought TAs weren't allowed to advertise CC. Please explain. Thanks

CC sends emails. From time to time, I've noticed they had a offering from my TA. I assume the TA has to pay for the placement within the email. I acutally found them well before I even knew CC existed, however it was interesting to see the TA in an email I received from CC.

Mybe that isn't technically advertising...? I'm sure they had to pay some bucks for the "shout out" in the email...

So I guess there's no site that you can read reviews for TA'S like you can for hotels or destinations like trip advisor?

It would be good to hear pros and cons from people who used them. I know just like in cruise and hotel reviews you have to sift through ones tha are too good or too bad but at least you can get an idea of who is better in the customer service area and at resolving problems.

I have done that before and the price was the same as what I am paying (to check if I did get a good deal) or the price is more and with the OBC it works out to be the same. This gets so confusing.........sad that it just cant be open for people to book, why so much mystery....

Dorene

I think 2martinis was asking.....about the agents. I just replyed when I saw hgc24's comment blocked.

I know they cannot....my original question was about OBC.....and I guess I'm not the only one who feels that way..... it's like anything.......when you buy something you want to buy it at an honest price.......and no one likes to hear about less price or a huge OBC........it does take your wind out of your sail at times. So that is why I asked the question.

The best suggestion I can give you is to call some different agenices.

Tell them what you are looking for and see if they can help you.:)

Try some on-line agencies and try some in your home town too.

Maybe a local one will surprise you.:)

Every time we book with our on-line agent, we get pre-paid tips. That's always worth about $400.

Last January we had $1100 OBC before sailing.

$250 from RCCL stockowners

$500 from DH's Bank of America VISA (points that he acumulated)

$250 from my Bank of America Celebrity VISA (points I accumulated)

$100 as refund when we changed from CC to FV corner unit! Hooray. We spent every bit of it and came home with no bills.

Every time we book with our on-line agent, we get pre-paid tips. That's always worth about $400.

Last January we had $1100 OBC before sailing.

$250 from RCCL stockowners

$500 from DH's Bank of America VISA (points that he acumulated)

$250 from my Bank of America Celebrity VISA (points I accumulated)

$100 as refund when we changed from CC to FV corner unit! Hooray. We spent every bit of it and came home with no bills.

Thanks for breaking down the source of your OBC; by doing so I think you've helped explain some of the mystery. Had you posted only that you were receiving $1100 in OBC, I'm sure many mouths would have been agape. Since most people think of OBC as freebie gifts from travel agents or through cruise line promotions, knowing the bulk of your OBC, $750, was actually purchased by you with credit card points rather than being "gifted" to you makes a very big difference. As it turns out, none of your OBC was gifted to you, all of it having been paid for by you directly or indirectly, in one form or another. Unlike you, many posters just offer their OBC bottom line without explanation, leaving the rest of us wondering what we've been doing wrong. In many cases, though certainly not all(!), we've simply been mislead by those who fail to let us know that they themselves have in one way or another paid for all or part of that humongous OBC about which they are all too eager to boast.

Thanks for breaking down the source of your OBC; by doing so I think you've helped explain some of the mystery. Had you posted only that you were receiving $1100 in OBC, I'm sure many mouths would have been agape. Since most people think of OBC as freebie gifts from travel agents or through cruise line promotions, knowing the bulk of your OBC, $750, was actually purchased by you with credit card points rather than being "gifted" to you makes a very big difference. As it turns out, none of your OBC was gifted to you, all of it having been paid for by you directly or indirectly, in one form or another. Unlike you, many posters just offer their OBC bottom line without explanation, leaving the rest of us wondering what we've been doing wrong. In many cases, though certainly not all(!), we've simply been mislead by those who fail to let us know that they themselves have in one way or another paid for all or part of that humongous OBC about which they are all too eager to boast.

lysolqn,

That's the reason I posted my breakdown as well. It was an attempt at showing folks how much obc you can get and where it comes from... I agree posting you received "x" amount of obc doesn't help anybody. One needs to know where it came from to be helpful...

This cruise in January we have received $300 in OBC, we got $200 as a promotion when we booked directly with Celebrity a few weeks ago, then armed with knowledge from CC, I called local travel agents until I found one who offered me $100 OBC for transfering the booking to them.

The first cruise I booked I got $100 OBC from the on-line travel group when I booked.

I would love to hear more about how I find these TA's with pre paid gratuities and who I can trust, ect.!! ;) I wish I hadn't missed that "how to google it" post!!

After reading posts on here about OBC I called my TA to ask why we had not been told about OBC when looked at our booking they said 'oh yes you have $400 OBC' now would we have been given the OBC if I had not called them ?

After reading posts on here about OBC I called my TA to ask why we had not been told about OBC when looked at our booking they said 'oh yes you have $400 OBC' now would we have been given the OBC if I had not called them ?

Was it in your original paperwork they had you sign? If not, I wouldn't be too sure. Either way you have it now :D

How do TA stay in business if they give it all back.....and do all the work?

I guess their TA works for $50 (the fee the TA keeps). I have no clue what a TA usually gets, I agree I don't know how the TA stays in business if they only get $50 per booking (must have a ton of bookings to make it work)...

How do TA stay in business if they give it all back.....and do all the work?

Dorene,

Since you'll be cruising in just 74 days!!, why not talk to some of your fellow cruise-mates (from your roll-call?) during the cruise about their OBC possibilities. That's how we discovered what is available, and from whom.:)

Dorene,

Since you'll be cruising in just 74 days!!, why not talk to some of your fellow cruise-mates (from your roll-call?) during the cruise about their OBC possibilities. That's how we discovered what is available, and from whom.:)

I dont think this is a good idea.....I am there to have a great time......it would open a can of worms.....this was just a question, and my question was answered best by Dabu17

Dorene

I just received a $150/pp OBC last week for an October sailing due to a promotion they're running trying to get residents of cold-weather states to book - funny I know but it's the truth. I live in MO and for that simple fact we received $300 in credits just because. CALL NOW! :)

Two weeks ago I booked through Celebrity's website a cruise (3 months away so still cancellable) paying only the deposit, (my first with X) - and got no perks/OBC. Then just last week, decided to also take a last minute cruise on Carnival next week. This one I booked with an agent through an 'online competitive service.' He only gave me $50 OBC (for a premium aft balcony), and it was after I argued the price and told him I found the same cabin on X's website, for $200 less (a free upgrade)!

Then this past weekend, I decided to change my X cruise to another itinerary for the same week. Celebrity was offering a special of $150 OBC as well as a $200 coupon book if booked by Sat 8/14. I spent several hours Sat evening online trying to book it, but X's website, as well as trying though several online TA booking engines -- all were 'down' so I couldn't complete the booking no matter what I tried. It was very frustrating. So, I emailed the guy I had booked my Carnival cruise through, explaining the problem, and asked for help. He emailed Sunday saying he reserved for me and would call/confirm Monday. When he did call, he did not have any OBC or anything else to offer me. I have not yet 'paid' for it, but am wondering what else/where I can go? I feel like I could do better. :(

I feel like this guy should give me something, because I not only did all the work/research, just told him the cruise/cabin/price I found BUT have booked 2 cruises with him in a matter of four days! :eek: Help! I need advice. Can I still switch the Celebrity cruise to yet another TA? And how should I go about finding one with some perks or OBC? thanks to all you experts out there... CC is great!

Archived