Kenai Fjords Boat Trips

Britboys

I would really appreciate some advice please. One possible cruisetour that we are looking at for next year includes a boat trip to the Kenai Fjords.

Having looked at lots of posts here, I can see that it is a great opportunity for wildlife spotting but a number of posts also said the water was quite rough with a lot of people seasick.

Is this quite normal for this area please? I am usually okay on the water and my OH is fine on cruise ships but does tend to get sick on small boats.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.

Sorry, this trip is frequent rough going with crossing the gulf. TAKE PRECAUTIONS, it's that simple, frankly.

And yes, it is common. No it doesn't matter what vendor or boat.

With any cruisetour- you need to be absolutely CERTAIN what you are purchasing. There is NO point in the bay cruises, way lacking. You need at least 6 hours on the water. Ship tours just about always use Alaska Heritage, Kenai Fjords tours.

Though I strongly recommend the 6 hour or longer Kenai Fjords tours I disagree that "There is NO point in the bay cruises." There is quite a bit of wildlife in the bay - otters, sea lions, eagles, birds, even some bears and occasionally whales. No you don't get to a glacier and no you don't get as varied wildlife as on the longer tours, but definitely not "no point" in them. I took one once and was pleasantly surprised after hearing all the negative comments about them.

I would recommend the 6 hour if at all possible. I agree with Budget Queen, take precautions. I took one Bonine, two hours before. If I were to do it again I would take two (on a full stomach so you won't get sleepy), sit downstairs at the back of the boat. We sat downstairs in the front but moved to the back when things got rough (thanks to a nice family from Minnesota.) They gave me ginger ale to sip which also helped. (if you were taking it for medicinal purposes they gave it to you free) I encourage you to take the trip. The wildlife was amazing (I love puffins) and you are able to get very close to the glaciers.

Thanks for all the thoughts so far. The itinerary that includes a trip is HAL Cruisetour 18. You are in Seward the night before, the boat trip is then described "Cruise to spectacular Kenai Fjords National Park" and you then board the ship after the trip. It doesn't say how long it actually is.

For those who have done the cruisetour first -- we are going from Fairbanks to Anchoriage on a 5 night landtour. Then drive up to Seward to board the ship. It looks like, from the description, that we won't have time for a Seward excursion, is this correct?

Though I strongly recommend the 6 hour or longer Kenai Fjords tours I disagree that "There is NO point in the bay cruises." There is quite a bit of wildlife in the bay - otters, sea lions, eagles, birds, even some bears and occasionally whales. No you don't get to a glacier and no you don't get as varied wildlife as on the longer tours, but definitely not "no point" in them. I took one once and was pleasantly surprised after hearing all the negative comments about them.

And there are a fair number of these bay boat tours, that see little if any wildlife. Your list, is the exception.

I am never going to "recommend" it for any "wildlife" priority.

For those who have done the cruisetour first -- we are going from Fairbanks to Anchoriage on a 5 night landtour. Then drive up to Seward to board the ship. It looks like, from the description, that we won't have time for a Seward excursion, is this correct?

Correct, you don't have time. BUT what I ALWAYS recommend, ditch the cruisetour in Anchorage. Book yourself on the Alaska RR and get yourself into Seward in time for a Kenai Fjords boat tour. Then just go direct to your ship.

Just about always, the cruisetour transits leave too early out of Anchorage for much of any touring, and arrive in Seward too late for much either.

You can easily make this change- it's your decision.

Correct, you don't have time. BUT what I ALWAYS recommend, ditch the cruisetour in Anchorage. Book yourself on the Alaska RR and get yourself into Seward in time for a Kenai Fjords boat tour. Then just go direct to your ship.

Just about always, the cruisetour transits leave too early out of Anchorage for much of any touring, and arrive in Seward too late for much either.

You can easily make this change- it's your decision.

Following this advice this is exactly what we did. We booked dome views; free coffee provided; had breakfast on board (not included simple but adequate); arrived in Seward and was met by the Kenai Fjords people. Awesome day.

Following this advice this is exactly what we did. We booked dome views; free coffee provided; had breakfast on board (not included simple but adequate); arrived in Seward and was met by the Kenai Fjords people. Awesome day.

My standard advice, over many years.

I am never going to "recommend" it for any "wildlife" priority.

You didn't just not "recommend" it, you said:

There is NO point in the bay cruises

That is the comment I was taking exception to. You didn't qualify your statement with regard to wildlife.

I guess you have been on enough bay cruises to know my trip was the exception????

Nope, I have a friend who is a boat capt. And going on the longer tours, go through the bay.

Then you should know from the capt. friend that going through the bay on the 6+ hour tours is not representative of the bay tours. The KF tours "transit" the bay, the bay tours spend lots more time in the bay. Not going to start an argument with you. Nuff said.

Just got back from a Kenai Fjords tour yesterday. Had a good talk with the captain. It is VERY common for bay cruises to see the wildlife I mentioned earlier. In fact, with the eagle's nest and bird rookeries, sightings are almost guaranteed for those as well as steller sea lions and sea otters.

It would be nice to know who this boat captain is BQ referred to. He apparently is not aware of the varied wildlife in Resurrection Bay. I certainly would not want to go with him!

Correct get yourself into Seward in time for a Kenai Fjords boat tour. .

BQ, a question for you..

We are staying 2 nights in Seward after a cruise, and want to go to do the Kenai Fj. boat trip..

I have emailed the Kenai Fjords company twice with no reply.

I asked if we could drive to Kenai to pick up the boat, so we could see some countryside by ourselves on the way..and asked if this was possible with parking etc once we arrived in Kenai..or did we have to go with them on their bus from their tour office in Seward.

A simple yes.....(we can drive)

or no.....(we have to go with the group bus)

I would be happy either answer from them, but to be ignored completely is very frustrating...

so do you know the answer, you know a lot about the place..far more than me.

I have found (AK'S)they are very lax in answering any emails, even bOoking confirmations just don't apear until I have asked at least 3 times if we were accepted to stay with whoever I booked with..

One answer came today..3 weeks after I emailed asking about accommodation..TOO LATE ..I booked somewhere else that wanted my business.

BQ, a question for you..

We are staying 2 nights in Seward after a cruise, and want to go to do the Kenai Fj. boat trip..

I have emailed the Kenai Fjords company twice with no reply.

I asked if we could drive to Kenai to pick up the boat, so we could see some countryside by ourselves on the way..and asked if this was possible with parking etc once we arrived in Kenai..or did we have to go with them on their bus from their tour office in Seward.

A simple yes.....(we can drive)

or no.....(we have to go with the group bus)

I would be happy either answer from them, but to be ignored completely is very frustrating...

so do you know the answer, you know a lot about the place..far more than me.

I have found (AK'S)they are very lax in answering any emails, even bOoking confirmations just don't apear until I have asked at least 3 times if we were accepted to stay with whoever I booked with..

One answer came today..3 weeks after I emailed asking about accommodation..TOO LATE ..I booked somewhere else that wanted my business.

You appear to not be on track with seeing "Kenai Fjords". You do not "drive" to it, and the boats leave right from Seward. There is NO bus??? Not sure where you are getting this from, but is very inaccurate. The "city" of Kenai is a totally different thing, and a boat tour does not leave from there, to Kenai Fjords.

Frankly, all you have to do is call, most vendor's in Alaska. And then get your immediate answers and reservations. But during business hours on Alaska time.

You appear to not be on track with seeing "Kenai Fjords". You do not "drive" to it, and the boats leave right from Seward. There is NO bus??? Not sure where you are getting this from, but is very inaccurate. The "city" of Kenai is a totally different thing, and a boat tour does not leave from there, to Kenai Fjords.

Frankly, all you have to do is call, most vendor's in Alaska. And then get your immediate answers and reservations. But during business hours on Alaska time.

That's why I thought you might know..because I don't.

Kenai Fjords Tours is located at 1304 4th Avenue Seward ...and We thought they took us to Kenai .......

I will do more research.

That's why I thought you might know..because I don't.

Kenai Fjords Tours is located at 1304 4th Avenue Seward ...and We thought they took us to Kenai .......

I will do more research.

If you go to the boat operator web sites, they have maps of their routes via the boats, should make it very clear for you. :)

If you go to the boat operator web sites, they have maps of their routes via the boats, should make it very clear for you. :)

I have, but we thought we could drive via Sterling etc, and go from Kenai Nat. pk, , (we thought they may go from there)we did not know we could only go from Seward..

so I sent a couple of emails asking questions to

info@kenaifjords.com

no reply..so why have it as their contact?

You take this tour from Seward. Have you checked out the web page for Seward or Alaska.Org or the National Park Service? There is also Exit Glacier and Alaska Sealife Center in Seward. Kenai Fjords tour operators are Kenai Fjords Tours, Major Marine Tours, and Renown Tours. We did HAL and as I remember the tour was probably 4 hours which I thought was long enough. We saw wildlife, glaciers, whales. goats, puffins, etc. If it is a beautiful day you may wish you had stayed longer but if it is rainy and cold you will be happy to have the shorter tour. On the four hour tour you will get some great pictures and a snack but I think some of the longer tours include a meal of some kind.

Archived