Eating on the cheap in Venice

Signdy

Are there ANY inexpensive restaurants in the area around San Marco? That's where we're staying (Hotel Violino D'Oro) for two nights in October, and because of my dad's age and lack of mobility, we won't be very adventurous looking for places to eat. Our tastes are simple (in fact, on previous trips to Europe, wine and cheese on the hotel balconies were often our most memorable meals!) and we'd rather spend our money on excursions than meals. I suspect we'll have to get away from San Marco, but if that's the case, it needs to be near a vaporetto stop. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Are there ANY inexpensive restaurants in the area around San Marco? That's where we're staying (Hotel Violino D'Oro) for two nights in October, and because of my dad's age and lack of mobility, we won't be very adventurous looking for places to eat. Our tastes are simple (in fact, on previous trips to Europe, wine and cheese on the hotel balconies were often our most memorable meals!) and we'd rather spend our money on excursions than meals. I suspect we'll have to get away from San Marco, but if that's the case, it needs to be near a vaporetto stop. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

You will find many small places on the streets winding off of P. San Marco were you can get pizza, sandwiches and cheap meals. There are also shops where you can buy fruit, bread, wine and cheese and deli meats for a picnic or to take back to your hotel.

It's not near San Marco, but if you take the vaporetto to near the train station, there is a restaurant there called Brek. It's very affordable and has decent food. Also has some decent cheap house wine.

But the above poster is also correct - there are a bunch of cheap places and small markets if you are willing to take it back to your room or eat outside. Also, a number of restaurants will also let you order to go (specifically, pizza).

You may find some but you need to look. Late in the afternoon, while Dad's taking a nap, you go out and research. I'd probably go to the North of San Marco for cheaper prices. Don't pass the 'deli' type places - might meet your needs. You just have to find them.

Don't forget to check out the local bars. They have pannini and antipasti that you can get take away. It really doesn't take much to get away from San Marcos and find some nice little places that don't charge a lot. Just try to remember which way you got there so you can get back! Part of the fun I had in Venice was just wandering the streets and eventually finding my way back to where I started.

IF you get on a vaporetto for one stop the Taverna San Travaso is right by the Academia vap stop and is known for reasonably priced decent meals. It is located in the Dorsoduro area of Venice which is just across the canal from where you are staying.

Your hotel will be able to suggest places to go and if you tell them your price range then they will be able to be even more specific. I have always found Venetian(in fact all of Italy) hotels to be good about making dinner reservations for you.

Don't forget to check out the local bars. They have pannini and antipasti that you can get take away. It really doesn't take much to get away from San Marcos and find some nice little places that don't charge a lot. Just try to remember which way you got there so you can get back! Part of the fun I had in Venice was just wandering the streets and eventually finding my way back to where I started.
If you eat in the bars, you will pay more to sit down than if you eat standing up.

Rick

Sometimes the best solution is the simplest. We suggest you explain your situation to your hotel desk clerk who will be able to tell you about the best dining options close to your hotel.

Hank

IF you get on a vaporetto for one stop the Taverna San Travaso is right by the Academia vap stop and is known for reasonably priced decent meals. It is located in the Dorsoduro area of Venice which is just across the canal from where you are staying.

Your hotel will be able to suggest places to go and if you tell them your price range then they will be able to be even more specific. I have always found Venetian(in fact all of Italy) hotels to be good about making dinner reservations for you.

Taverna San Travaso looks like a very good option...affordable, close, with reasonably good reviews. I don't mind eating with other tourists...I AM a tourist!

Sometimes the best solution is the simplest. We suggest you explain your situation to your hotel desk clerk who will be able to tell you about the best dining options close to your hotel.

Hank

I think that Hank has provided the best advice.

I would talk to someone at the hotel to explain what you are looking for and I bet they can offer some good options for you.

Keith

You will find many small places on the streets winding off of P. San Marco were you can get pizza, sandwiches and cheap meals. There are also shops where you can buy fruit, bread, wine and cheese and deli meats for a picnic or to take back to your hotel.

One day we stopped at one of those little corner food stalls and bought sandwiches. No place to sit though. Sandwiches were on a very soft pita type bread and they steamed them. I had a caprizo salad sandwich and she got equivalent of a ham and cheese. They were both great. We took our food to St Marks Square and sat along the small wall there. That's not feasible for someone older in that there's no back support but it wasn't expensive and very very good if you can find somewhere to go eat it.

No such creature. We even went into the COOP grocery store and bought things to take back to our hotel and it still wasn't cheap.

Remember in Italy you pay to sit at any restaurant. We stopped at one pizza place on Murano and checked the prices, 6 EUR for a whole pizza, great, we sat, ordered pizza & coke. Our bill was 17 EUR pp. 6 for pizza, 6 for coke and 5 for sitting. Approx $25. I think that was the last place we sat to eat.

We checked out Harry's Bar (famous place) and it was 35 EUR (approx $50) for a club sandwich. We decided not to eat there real quick. But it was closed anyway.

On Lido we found a sandwich shop, got some chips and sodas (8 EUR) approx $12) and went to a small square that had a fountain with benches. Had a lot of company from the birds, but that's where we ate lunch.

I tried to talk my friend into trying McDonalds just behind San Marco Piazza, but she would have no part of that. Says she doesn't eat at McDonalds at home, she sure wasn't going to in Italy. I took a photo of it, but she wouldn't even go inside to compare the prices.

Have a great trip!

Archived